FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Add "share topic/post to facebook"?

LittleBlackKitten
It would be a great way to pull other people on to frihost, it's not hard to code, and would be awesome to use. I know I would!

Something maybe like

"LittleBlackKitten wrote 'But what about the monkeys? They're all funny looking but cute, and...' To read more, come over to Frihost where you can get FREE domain space, all for just talking!"

I know a few friends would get roped in that way...MUST...KNOW...THE REST...OF...THE POST... Laughing
Hogwarts
http://www.facebook.com/share_options.php

Maybe just use that?
LittleBlackKitten
No, I mean ON frihost, not over there. That's not interesting enough.
Hogwarts
Yuck.

What of the people who don't want yet another bloaty social media button/panel cluttering up yet another interface?
What about the people who won't use it because they wish to keep their Frihost account discreet from their Facebook account?
What about those people who simply don't have Facebook accounts?
Where's this good content you're talking about?
Practically every topic on Frihost I know of, I wouldn't want to share with friends. Come on, "Are muffins better than bread"?

Despite the fact that I've found none yet that I would want to share, I would probably link a blog or YouTube video instead of Frihost if I did find one such thing.

I can't see how this suggestion is anything that will ever go anywhere. It's just not particularly good, and doesn't have particularly any merit.
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
What about those people who simply don't have Facebook accounts?
Where's this good content you're talking about?
I'm absolutely with you on this one Hogwarts. I don't have a Facebook account, and if I did have one (I can't see it happening, but if I did), I would want to keep it completely separate.
Ghost Rider103
I don't think sharing topics is all that great of an idea.

But just a Facebook "Like" button I think is a good idea. If any of you are familiar with Facebook, clicking the "like" button will add Frihost to the list of the things you "like" on your Facebook profile page. So anyone who views your Facebook profile (usually only people you're friends with) will be able to see Frihost's page if they look at your information under "Likes and Interests."

Here is a good example of just adding a "like" button. I think I posted this somewhere else as well. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

That way you won't be posting threads from Frihost to your Facebook account, annoying all your friends. But you're still bringing Frihost into the Facebook community, which won't do anymore than help Frihost.
snowboardalliance
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I don't think sharing topics is all that great of an idea.

Also, it can be done pretty easily by sharing the link. Anyone hosted on Frihost should be capable of doing this so no need to clutter the interface with the extra "share" button.

Quote:

But just a Facebook "Like" button I think is a good idea. If any of you are familiar with Facebook, clicking the "like" button will add Frihost to the list of the things you "like" on your Facebook profile page. So anyone who views your Facebook profile (usually only people you're friends with) will be able to see Frihost's page if they look at your information under "Likes and Interests."

Here is a good example of just adding a "like" button. I think I posted this somewhere else as well. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/

That way you won't be posting threads from Frihost to your Facebook account, annoying all your friends. But you're still bringing Frihost into the Facebook community, which won't do anymore than help Frihost.

Is Frihost on facebook as a page or are you suggesting it? I don't think it's necessary but it might be nice for people who want to say they "like" Frihost on Facebook.
Aredon
There are several phpBB mods that would allow this to happen, additionally if people didn't want to see the buttons "cluttering their interface", I'm sure a UCP setting could be arranged. Perhaps off by default and toggled on as an option.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/share_topic
Hogwarts
Aredon wrote:
There are several phpBB mods that would allow this to happen, additionally if people didn't want to see the buttons "cluttering their interface", I'm sure a UCP setting could be arranged. Perhaps off by default and toggled on as an option.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/share_topic

Or people could do something terribly logical and install a bookmarklet.

They can clutter their own code/interface and not Frihost's; especially not for a feature that no more than (at most!) two people are ever going to use.
Aredon
Hogwarts wrote:

Or people could do something terribly logical and install a bookmarklet.

They can clutter their own code/interface and not Frihost's; especially not for a feature that no more than (at most!) two people are ever going to use.

Oh I don't know about there being only two people that would use the feature. I myself link political and world news threads from frihost all the time, and a button would save me the copy-paste / new-tab stuff. I think you're being a little dramatic with regards to how many people would use such a feature.
Quote:
We have 68880 registered users

I have a feeling there'd be more. Smile

Aside from that its not a matter of whether or not these users should put a share button in their browser. It's a matter of website convenience toward the user. I see no reason why it can't be provided as an option when it's readily available and easily implemented. Besides, what if some of us don't want to add this button to our browser? What then? You would say we should... why? In what way can you justify this claim without referencing your own opinion?

For example, and using logic similar to yours: people should just carry cash around, and we shouldn't have the convenience of ATMs. People have banks, and they could do the logical thing and just come prepared. We shouldn't need ATMs cluttering the wall space outside our banks and various other places. Besides, they're ugly and clunky and I would never use them.

I of course mean no offense to your opinion. I can respect that you don't want this feature added. I am simply trying to illuminate to you why it won't necessarily be a terrible idea. If it is off by default and users have to turn it on, I see no reason why you can complain over how it looks for you.