FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who is Christine O’Donnell?

deanhills
Never heard of Christine O'Donnell untill her big win in the election where she upset the GOP when she won Joe Biden's vacated Senate seat. I'm a little surprised though that she won, as her credentials seem to be a mix of extremes starting off with wild and almost out of control party behaviour, and then going the absolute extreme to ultra conservate behaviour. Looks like a passionate person however. Wonder whether we are going to see more characters like these coming out of the woodwork in November? She seems to have the gift of the political gab however, sounds almost like something Obama would have said during his campaign:
Quote:
"Don't ever underestimate the power of we the people," O'Donnell said. "We the people will have our voice heard in Washington, D.C., once again."

Source: Yahoo!News
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
Never heard of Christine O'Donnell untill her big win in the election where she upset the GOP when she won Joe Biden's vacated Senate seat. I'm a little surprised though that she won, as her credentials seem to be a mix of extremes starting off with wild and almost out of control party behaviour, and then going the absolute extreme to ultra conservate behaviour. Looks like a passionate person however. Wonder whether we are going to see more characters like these coming out of the woodwork in November? She seems to have the gift of the political gab however, sounds almost like something Obama would have said during his campaign:
Quote:
"Don't ever underestimate the power of we the people," O'Donnell said. "We the people will have our voice heard in Washington, D.C., once again."

Source: Yahoo!News

She didn't win the election, she just became the Republican candidate.

How freaky is Christine O'Donnell? Even her fellow right winger Karl Rove (Bush's master strategist) think she's unelectable.
Quote:
“I’ve met her. I wasn’t frankly impressed by her abilities as a candidate,” Rove said during an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity. “One thing that O’Donnell is now going to have to answer in the general election that she didn't in the primary is her own checkered background.”

“There were a lot of nutty things she has been saying that don't add up,” Rove added. “Why did she mislead voters about her college education? How come it took nearly two decades to pay her college bills so she could get her college degree? How did she make a living?”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42205.html

That a flaky loon from the extreme Christian right wing like Christine O'Donnell could win the Republican candidacy is a perfect example of the collapsing Republican Party. This person isn't fit to run more than a hot dog stand and has only made a living representing various extremist Christian and right wing causes, and yet the GOP is putting her forward to be in the highest levels of national office.

Some of O'Donnell's views:

She is a Creationist who believes the Earth was created in six days and thinks there's just as much scientific evidence for that as there is for evolution.
Quote:
"Creationism, in essence, is believing that the world began as the Bible in Genesis says, that God created the Earth in six days, six 24-hour periods. And there is just as much, if not more, evidence supporting that."

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/09/the_gops_delaware_senate_nomin.html

She thinks "condoms will not protect you from AIDS" and criticized the government for fighting the disease.

She says ""I dabbled into witchcraft" and "One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar" which led to her extreme Christianity.
http://abcnews.go.com/News/christine-odonnell-dabbled-witchcraft/story?id=11671277&page=1

She is seemingly obsessed with masturbation, publicly preaching against it and equating it to infidelity, and has even railed against nude sunbathing.

She thinks Joe Biden tapped her phone as part of his victory over her in 2008.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/09/christine_odonnell_thinks_joe_biden_tapped_her_pho.php?ref=fpa

She said she wouldn't have lied to a Nazi to save a Jew during WW2 because lying is a sin.
http://www.youtube.com/v/KTYtu4lSqfU

On cloning, she said
Quote:
"American scientific companies are cross-breeding humans and animals and coming up with mice with fully functioning human brains"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311946,00.html

Really, is this who you would choose to run the government? Would you even hire her for any position of responsibility in your own life -- to manage your business, for example? I know I wouldn't.
jwellsy
If she wins the general election maybe she will immediately start campaigning for President. All she has to do is vote present on 3/4ths of the bills that come through and she will be just as qualified as the unpopular B.O. At least she is not hiding her past by suppressing records on education.
Bikerman
The opinion over here is that this is bad for the Republicans. She beat (I am told) a very electable Republican with a lot of experience in politics, largely because of the tea-party vote. If it is a one-off then it will not be too bad, but if there are a wave of similar results then the Republicans will render themselves unelectable when they should be at the peak of their powers.
Clearly she is pretty stupid but so was Palin and that needn't be a show-stopper if they have other selling points. Unfortunately she seems to have little to offer - I read that her personal finances are 'chaotic', her personal life is 'interesting'...Smile

Either way it cannot be good news for the Republicans and I hear that even Glen Beck is cheesed off and is organising a counter-tea-party protest called 'The March for Sanity'.....
c'tair
^ It's pretty normal to see that a person like her, so down to earth and so close to 'normal' people, got voted in. Why? Because she represents all the sins of man - blind faith, hypocrisy, bigotry etc. whilst maintaining a neutral facade. Like most people around us do.
Bikerman
Do you really think she is 'down to earth' and 'close to the normal person' ?
I don't believe that to be true - at least I really hope it isn't.....
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Really, is this who you would choose to run the government? Would you even hire her for any position of responsibility in your own life -- to manage your business, for example? I know I wouldn't.
My point exactly as well. So it was with great relief that I heard from jmi that she has not been elected, just nominated for a candidate. And that is probably going to guarantee a Democrat win. If I were a Republican she would be the last person in the world that I would want to vote for.
c'tair
Bikerman wrote:

Well, the difference between us is that you seem to have retained your faith in humanity whereas I have lost most of it. Razz
Bikerman
c'tair wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

Well, the difference between us is that you seem to have retained your faith in humanity whereas I have lost most of it. Razz

LOL...Well, I have retained my faith in persons, but not necessarily people. A famous philosopher puts it like this: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals.*

Tommy Lee Jones - MiB
gandalfthegrey
She is so controversial, that she will cost the Republican the Deleware seat - if what would have otherwise been a likely win for the Republicans.

I don't think anyone cares about the witchcraft claims. It's the sexual preachiness, such as publicly condemning masturbation, along with her personal financial/IRS problems that has people turning away.
jmi256
gandalfthegrey wrote:
She is so controversial, that she will cost the Republican the Deleware seat - if what would have otherwise been a likely win for the Republicans.

I don't think anyone cares about the witchcraft claims. It's the sexual preachiness, such as publicly condemning masturbation, along with her personal financial/IRS problems that has people turning away.

I think the seat was far from a shoe-in. In fact, it has been held by Biden for decades, and Delaware is a very 'blue' state (or at least was).
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
I think the seat was far from a shoe-in. In fact, it has been held by Biden for decades, and Delaware is a very 'blue' state (or at least was).
Given this, the Republicans must have known that too? Could it have been a deliberate strategy on their part to appease the Tea Party faction? They feel quite sure that she won't win the seat?
jmi256
deanhills wrote:
jmi256 wrote:
Given this, the Republicans must have known that too? Could it have been a deliberate strategy on their part to appease the Tea Party faction? They feel quite sure that she won't win the seat?

Not really. I think they were just as surprised as anyone. She was nominated by a vote of all registered party voters, not just the 'leaders' or a faction.
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
Not really. I think they were just as surprised as anyone. She was nominated by a vote of all registered party voters, not just the 'leaders' or a faction.
Apart from surprised, the Republican Party has to be really concerned of what to expect in other similar constituencies?
Arty
She's a direct clone of Sarah Palin who dabbled in witchcraft but thinks masturbation should be illegal.
Dennise
She is an ignorant lady who should be transported back to the middle ages ASAP!
deanhills
legalmaster wrote:
Christine Therese O'Donnell (born August 27, 1969) is an American politician who founded two advocacy organizations and has been an advocate for nonprofit clients and nonprofit causes for nearly 20 years

CPA Charlotte NC
Not sure what you point is exactly? This lady has a background of instability. I don't think she should ever be appointed to a position of power.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
legalmaster wrote:
Christine Therese O'Donnell (born August 27, 1969) is an American politician who founded two advocacy organizations and has been an advocate for nonprofit clients and nonprofit causes for nearly 20 years

CPA Charlotte NC
Not sure what you point is exactly? This lady has a background of instability. I don't think she should ever be appointed to a position of power.

Well, the title asks who she is.
That post nicely answered the question.^.^
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, the title asks who she is.
That post nicely answered the question.^.^
Right, but that "smidgen" of info is almost a misrepresentation if one looks at the overall picture of her.

There are enough links and info provided in the first postings of this thread to indicate that she is not much of a stable person. Particularly the post by Handfleisch. He provided a number of links. I subsequently also came across a few.