FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you in a valuable job?

chasbeen
How much sense of achievement do you get out of your job?
Do your piers respect you and get value from the contributions at work?
Are you paid above average for the type of work you do?
epspk
i believe that a job is like how much money you earn... it is never quite enough. I am underpaid, but appreciated by my peers for the little stuff i do so, the job i do is better than those higher paying jobs i did before. I used to be a workaholic but right now I learned to value time for family and other personal stuff. It may not be rewarding financially but it is rewarding for me, emotionally and psychologically. Very Happy
chasbeen
It sounds like you are in the "work to live" category rather than the "live to work" one.
It's a balancing act but it would be nice if you got 100% satisfaction out of your job.

Best job ever professional sportsmen!
Greatking
my work is great only the pay is not very good, but then the team work and spirit is encouraging and the job satisfaction is what i rely on. i guess that's what really keeps me going, enjoying what i do, serving people i believe is to be useful.
chasbeen
This is a job where you achieve something tangible this is the real value.
You will not get paid anymore than the supply/demand law a caveat to that is if they are sure you are not replaceable.
One way to find out is to threaten to leave?
standready
I get a sense of satisfaction when a project is completed then on to the next. I don't think my peers respect me but rather "use" me as resource to make their work easier. Definitely not paid enough, so I moved on to be self-employed.
chasbeen
Now you have "clients" and they "use" you as resource.
The lines are not blurred.
Your happy , they are happy.

Right?
HoytJolly
I feel that, for the first time in my life, I have a valuable job. I have worked in several different industries, each of which tuned my sense of value. Currently, I am a programmer. I feel that value is different for everyone. For me, the feeling of contributing something the lasts is very important. I know that the code that I write today will be used by countless people, hopefully making their lives easier and more enjoyable. I hope that the code that I write will be the foundation of better code in the future. This is valuable to me.
watersoul
Having carried out quite a few different roles over the years, I'd say that at the moment I'm overpaid for what I actually do.
Everyone else in the organisation seems to find something to complain about at meetings etc, but when I'm asked my opinion I usually answer "well, I'm not digging holes in the rain for minimum wage so I don't mind".

My job makes me happy sometimes when I see the results of my labour, but when I think at its basic level I'm only using a keyboard, a phone and a pen, in a warm, clean, safe environment, for 35 hours a week, so why would I complain- I do honestly think I'm paid too much compared to some of the dirty, dangerous, harsh jobs I've done in the past for half the money I get now. Either that, or some of the hardest, physically demanding minimum wage jobs should be paid far more to reflect that extra effort of the employees.

OK, I realise I'm paid for what I know, but studying for a few years doesn't actually make me feel I really deserve that huge difference in wages, compared to people who continually work hard for long hours every day in some back-breaking job.
chasbeen
watersoul

You probably do not realise the importance of the knowledge you have which is one aspect (perhaps)
You also are not getting enough satisfaction from what you do (Although it has a potential)

Would you be able to split off from your "Organisation" and offer new services as a consultant?

Would you be able to recommend courses of action that would be considered important enough to be included in a specification for a private client?

Maybe you need more freedom to express yourself.

Work for 20hours a week getting paid 4-5 times more than you get paid now.
With your free time: Can you spend it becoming more valuable to your business area?

Are you prepared to take the risk and reaching fulfilment is this the way to go for you?
watersoul
Cheers Chasbeen, if I'm honest though I've never found any position that hasn't become boring to me after I've mastered the role. Work is just work to me, a means for funding all the things I really want or need. Some jobs have made me happier than others but in my mind its all about raising money with least effort so I can enjoy my personal life - working is just a necessary inconvenience.

I don't for a minute think I'll continue my current role until retirement, but I'll stay for as long as this well-paying, easy (to me) position suits my life plans.
I'm already looking forward to my son reaching adulthood, when I might even go back to university and study something completely different, although I'll have to pay the tuition fees myself for a second degree and that won't be cheap.
I've got many years of working still ahead of me but its the learning new things I enjoy most, and being a bit of a free-spirited person, I'm sure I'll change my mind quite a few more times along the way.
chasbeen
My current personal objectives include getting back home to England within 2 years, the little beach picture made me think about that...
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:
My current personal objectives include getting back home to England within 2 years, the little beach picture made me think about that...

Good luck with that fella, if you want anything bad enough you'll definitely get it in the end.
Curiously though, its the other way around for me and I'd like to get to Canada in a few years to see relatives and spend some time working/travelling there.

I've always gone east and spent a lot of time travelling Asia over the years, but thats pretty easy with the value of the £pound there - I suspect I'll have to save a bit more for Canada!
And if only for that reason, my job is valuable for that dream, amongst others Smile
chasbeen
When you get to Canada, make sure you organize yourself so that your regular journeys are not over a long distance during the winter period..
pll
watersoul wrote:
working is just a necessary inconvenience.

I just can't believe what you are saying.
So you say you spend 35 hours a week in a job, that it's a necesseary inconvenience (I guess you don't really like your job).

So 35 x 52 = 1820.
You lose 1820 hours of your life for an ''inconvenience'' per year, well I hope it pays well!
I wouldn't be able to do such a thing, I can't live if I don't like my job, I'm spending my life on it!!

And right now I like it.

Yeah that's right ! If you come to Canada during the winter get prepared, especially if you come from a place where you don't live winter.
watersoul
pll wrote:
watersoul wrote:
working is just a necessary inconvenience.

I just can't believe what you are saying.
So you say you spend 35 hours a week in a job, that it's a necesseary inconvenience (I guess you don't really like your job).

So 35 x 52 = 1820.
You lose 1820 hours of your life for an ''inconvenience'' per year, well I hope it pays well!
I wouldn't be able to do such a thing, I can't live if I don't like my job, I'm spending my life on it!!

And right now I like it.

Yeah that's right ! If you come to Canada during the winter get prepared, especially if you come from a place where you don't live winter.

You see why I said that complaining colleagues annoy me a bit, none of them have ever done what I'd call a "hard" day's work.
As far as money is concerned though, to me its as simple as life choices and how I spend it, my friends might sometimes say "why not get a better car" etc, but my paid for vehicle doesn't cost me £200+ per month in loan payments and savings like that are chanelled elsewhere to things that matter to me. I chase being free to go places and experience life without my time being trapped too much by working at the thing that funds it, I chase more money for petrol to go places than the standard of the vehicle that gets me there, I chase being free of debt to anyone, and not enslaved by the love of every "shiny thing" the media says our life is richer if we get it. Life is just a mix of needs and wants, so if my income drops or increases for whatever reason, I just re-evaluate the "needs". Even working minimum wage I'll find enough spare money to pay for some "wants" to make me happy, it's unlikely we'll ever earn enough to pay for all of them.

Yep, I'll say it again, in my mind, any work I do is ultimately a necessary distraction from whatever things I really want to do in life - and even if your job involves activities you love, there will be elements like paperwork etc distracting you from that something else you want to do.

Cheers for the shouts about winter though, my plans will definitely involve a spring/summer start, whenever I get there Smile

*edit* back to the original topic, I think every job is valuable to the person doing it as it is the thing that funds their needs and wants...it's just some jobs fund more wants than others.
pll
Yeah it's your choice of life!! I'm glad your happy with it, but I wouldn't be.

If I spend my life in something (no matter the pay) I gotta like it, because if I don't like it I won't like my life.

If your happy that way continue then!
watersoul
pll wrote:
Yeah it's your choice of life!! I'm glad your happy with it, but I wouldn't be.

If I spend my life in something (no matter the pay) I gotta like it, because if I don't like it I won't like my life.

If your happy that way continue then!

Work is the thing I choose to do, to pay for the things I really want to do, so for me, that's not an issue, because my life is not my work. Work in my mind is agreeing to a certain set of conditions for an agreed amount of money and time.
It is not "my" life, my life is when I'm following my own set of conditions, but "my life" has to be funded by this thing called work. If it benefits me to experience more work challenges to fund something in my personal life, I will, and do.
But my choices are always made with thoughts of how it affects my personal life, and work to me is really just an inconvenience that has to fund it. Whether I'm digging holes in the road, or giving a presentation (I've done both), work is just the activity that funds my first choices! I play whatever role I've agreed to play, at whatever job is the most attractive to me, for as long as it suits my personal life. Work is simply a tool to me, and if I felt any less strongly about that I'd feel I were less free.
decent_31bs
im currently working in one of the chile company.. The company is really great. aside from a well compensated salary, they teach me well in my field, web developer. as a fresh graduate in my field, im very grateful to be part of the that company. hope to all of us too.. Smile cheers!
chasbeen
Jobs like yours are good in the right environment. You sound like the right person in the right environment. You are still cutting your teeth in real world terms.
Interaction with other workers is important so if you feel part of a team with a worthy objective that you can see is mutually beneficial you are a type of happy. Wink
agbor
You must be able to enjoy what you do to be successful at it, If you cannot, you will get very frustrated and probably end up being unable to support yourself or your family. What you need to do, to enjoy work, is to find something of course that you know you are good at and excel at. You have to be able to do something using your natural skills and abilities. If you are doing something that doesn't come natural to you, it will probably be very hard to be good at what you are doing and to want to keep doing what you are doing for a very long time.
chasbeen
agbor
This is all correct. Don't be insulted if I say I think it's obvious. Too many people forget it.
I loved hearing the professional sportsmen talking. "I love what I do and I gety paid to do it".

Interesting studies have shown people actually deid better in their job if they were able to promote a team effort that made them feel an integral part of the proceedings.

Too belong, it seems , is a major factor getting paid lots is actually just a nice "by product"