FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dedicated server setup

Nemesis234
hi all. ive recently been thinking about getting a dedicated server, mainly to host my site once its all finished, as im hoping it will be popular (hoping!), and to offer friends hosting etc.. maybe game server aswell.

but to be honest i dont know the first thing about them, and its a real struggle to find anything useful/relevant when searching google, and i have a few questions.

please dont just say "get a managed server" cuz they are like 2/3 times the price for same specs, which i cant afford/justify just yet.

so, on with the questions;
1. do i need my own DNS server?
1.a. if i do run my own DNS how do i add domains?
1.b. if i dont run my own DNS how do i add domains?

2. how many ip address do i need for DNS, some sites say 2 minimum, some say 1 is ok??

3. is directadmin/cpanel the only real solution for offering hosting to people? or is webmin/usermin an acceptable option? please note some people i offer hosting to arnt completely "trusted" and i wasnt sure on how much access usermin seems to give.

4. is ubuntu the best linux distro for someone who has never used linux before, and setting up a server for the first time

5. how many websites (average size) could be hosted on 2 x 4 core i920 2.66ghz 8gb ram?

any other important things is might not know about?
k_s_baskar
Quote:
1. do i need my own DNS server?
1.a. if i do run my own DNS how do i add domains?
1.b. if i dont run my own DNS how do i add domains?

2. how many ip address do i need for DNS, some sites say 2 minimum, some say 1 is ok??

3. is directadmin/cpanel the only real solution for offering hosting to people? or is webmin/usermin an acceptable option? please note some people i offer hosting to arnt completely "trusted" and i wasnt sure on how much access usermin seems to give.

4. is ubuntu the best linux distro for someone who has never used linux before, and setting up a server for the first time

5. how many websites (average size) could be hosted on 2 x 4 core i920 2.66ghz 8gb ram?

any other important things is might not know about?

1. a. Yes ofcourse
2. Yes Minum two for nameservers
3. Cpanel and DirectAdmin both are best panels if you can spend money go with cpanel with fantastico (check kloxo if you are looking for free control panel)
4. CentOS is always my choice. Don't bother about setting up your server because most providers preinstall the OS or you can select images of OS from list (check with your provider)
5. Usually unlimited but depends upon baqndwidth usage.

I personally recommend to try so
me VPS before going for dedicated server.
Smile
k_s_baskar
If you are looking for best VPS offers (mm $5/month with Direct Admin) just msg me or reply here of link.
k_s_baskar
Sorry i forget to
for your question 1 (b)

You can go with free dns providers to manage your server. here i am listing some dns providers

DNSExit
EveryDNS
MyBind
NameCheap
Point
ZoneEdit
Fire Boar
I'm assuming you mean you want your own server, a box in the garage or something. If so... good luck! It's not as impossible as some people make it out to be, but you need to know what you're doing.

Running your own DNS server is a pain. You'll probably only want to start doing that if/when you need to. Use DNS provider to start off: DynDNS is a good choice.

When making a server... yeah, Linux is really the only choice. Ubuntu is friendly, but you might be able to squeeze more performance out of a more bare bones distribution. It depends, you'll be doing a lot of command-line stuff either way, and most Linux distributions are about the same in that regard. Usually you'd just pick one distribution and stick with it. I'd recommend avoiding "put it together yourself" distributions like Gentoo and Damn Small Linux. Go with one of the more popular ones. Desktop is optional, do without if you can (you'll also learn a lot more that way).

As for number of websites... yes, you can have an arbitrarily large number usually. Experiment a bit, see how your CPU copes.