FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Alternatives to DSL

Tony The Tiger
In Chicago, there is a company called clear that offers what I believe is wireless broadband or 4G connection service. I am wondering what other regions of the country have as an alternative to DSL and how clear stacks up against its competitors nationwide. It seems to me that here in Chicago they have no 4G competition although maybe I just don't understand the marketplace. If I am missing something feel free to set me straight.
weableandbob
I don't personally have Clear (stuck with the least stable Comcast service possible), but my friend uses it for his house. It's pretty reliable and provides good download/upload speeds, but it isn't ideal for gaming, as pings tend to be about 100 ms more than people using a wired connection.
Tony The Tiger
weableandbob wrote:
I don't personally have Clear (stuck with the least stable Comcast service possible), but my friend uses it for his house. It's pretty reliable and provides good download/upload speeds, but it isn't ideal for gaming, as pings tend to be about 100 ms more than people using a wired connection.

My mother heard it was unreliable in some instances. I am not sure if this meshes with your gaming explanation or not. I will have to do some further research on this issue.
wschleifer
Hello,

have someonoe info about up- and download connection via satellite?
Is this available on any place?

Thank.
wschleifer.
Tony The Tiger
wschleifer wrote:
Hello,

Thank.
wschleifer.

I am not sure I understand your question.
Marcuzzo
wschleifer wrote:
Hello,

Thank.
wschleifer.

Quote:
Satellite Internet service provides you with a broadband connection that is much faster than dialup. Currently, most satelite ISPs offer their customers download speeds ranging anywhere from 768 Kbps up to 5.0 Mbps, which is very comparable to a standard DSL connection for the home or small office.

be aware that this is not cheap:

Quote:
In satellite is your only option for high speed Internet, then you'll need to be prepared for some upfront costs in terms of installation and satellite equipment. This can run from three to six hundred dollars in most cases, although many satellite Internet providers will run promotions that waive the setup fees. Once the service is set up and running, the monthly bandwidth costs will generally range from $50 to $120 per month. So, satellite is a bit more costly than cable or DSL, but it certainly beats getting stuck with dial-up.

source: http://www.high-speed-internet-access-guide.com/satellite/
Tony The Tiger
Marcuzzo wrote:

be aware that this is not cheap:

Quote:
In satellite is your only option for high speed Internet, then you'll need to be prepared for some upfront costs in terms of installation and satellite equipment. This can run from three to six hundred dollars in most cases, although many satellite Internet providers will run promotions that waive the setup fees. Once the service is set up and running, the monthly bandwidth costs will generally range from $50 to $120 per month. So, satellite is a bit more costly than cable or DSL, but it certainly beats getting stuck with dial-up.

source: http://www.high-speed-internet-access-guide.com/satellite/

I think you are talking about something different than Clear. Clear only cost about 55/month and has much more modest up front costs.