FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Eminem

recked
He's doing it yet again with Not Afraid, Love the way you lie, and more. I always loved eminem and he is no doubt, one of the best rappers alive.

Opinions?
liljp617
Easily one of the most creative and talented alive or dead.

I've always found his ability to switch between his multiple personas incredibly interesting.
Afaceinthematrix
Eminem had two good studio albums, a good EP, and a good demo tape. But that was it. Everything after the Marshall Mathers LP (in my opinion) was just terrible. He went from having some of the cleverest lines ever in his demo album Infinite, to having some of his best story-telling songs in the Slim Shady EP, to having some of his best lines in the Slim Shady LP, to having some of his most brutal lines in the Marshall Mathers LP, to just going on a solid downhill track.

I was able to tolerate the Eminem Show when it came out because I thought he had just taken a little slip and made an album a little less in greatness than what he usually did. That happens to everyone. You can't expect someone to make nothing but good albums. People have their ups and downs. So I bought the album (along with all of his previous) and listened to it without too many complaints.

Eminem then made 8 Mile, did some work with D-12, etc... It took him a few years to make another studio album. Then he came out with Encore. I bought the album, took it home, and listened to it with absolute disgust. It was terrible... Completely terrible. I couldn't believe how bad that album was. But I won't go into how bad it was because I'm not writing a review of that album...

So basically, he fell off after the Marshall Mathers LP.
liljp617
Relapse was nonsense, but Recovery is largely him again (with the exception of a few songs out of the 17). I would agree his earliest work is absolutely better than his more recent releases, but for a lot of artists, that's true so it wasn't so much a shocker to me. When you come on the scene the way he did, your whole delivery is fresh and much more unique than when you're 20 years into your career. Your creativity is at its peak, everything you do is taken as new and fresh, people aren't tired of you, there's no cliches surrounding your music (as he definitely has now), etc.

Not that any of that excuses bad records, because they were definitely below his standard.

Of course he was having some beyond ridiculous issues with addiction for some time...that played a big role in the downtime between his albums. Understandable to me.

When he's serious about what he's doing -- and I don't mean serious as in demeanor, I mean he's really paying attention to what he's putting out which I don't think he was so much with Encore and Relapse -- it's hard for me to think of a bad song, or verse if he's featured on the song. Even a single like Fight Music with D12...his verse is on par with everything else he's done. Renegade with Jay-Z. Patiently Waiting with 50 Cent.

Like I said, Recovery, with the exception of a couple things here and there that don't appeal to me, is great in my opinion. His lyricism on No Love, Seduction, Space Bound, Going Through Changes, and others are top notch in my book -- the emotion is there, the story telling is there, the quality of the actual rhyming/lyricism is there, the "realness" is there.

Encore was pretty bad as well, except for Evil Deeds, Yellow Brick Road, Mockingbird, and maybe a couple others.
Afaceinthematrix
I will have to listen to Recovery. I do not have any friends who have bought it yet so that I can hear it, I definitely do not want to buy it after buying the last one, and I am against illegal downloading.

Also, I must admit that I am a little hesitant to listen to it because of how bad Encore (Rain Man, Ass Like That, Evil Deeds, Just Lose It, etc... The only good song that I can think of is Yellow Brick Road) and Relapse was. Plus, a lot of his in between stuff (Smack That with Akon, F.A.C.K., etc.) was just terrible. But I will try to listen to Relapse if I can. I will usually give everyone a chance.

I just haven't felt that motivated to because his history is against him and I really don't like rap anyways. I am basically exclusively a metalhead. And out of metal, I mainly listen to melodic death metal and I like death metal with black metal influences. Plus I like thrash and genres that mix thrash with other forms of metal. So rap just isn't what I listen to anyways.

And I know that most people won't be as good as when they're fresh. But I would still never have expected him to go from the solid lines in 313 to "Smack that all on the floor smack that give me some more." That's the kind of music he used to make fun of...
liljp617
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I just haven't felt that motivated to because his history is against him and I really don't like rap anyways. I am basically exclusively a metalhead. And out of metal, I mainly listen to melodic death metal and I like death metal with black metal influences. Plus I like thrash and genres that mix thrash with other forms of metal. So rap just isn't what I listen to anyways.

Understand completely. I'm pretty exclusively metal/blues/rock in my music selection at this point, but it didn't used to be that way...some of the rap has stuck with me. Some of it still hits a core and brings me back to other points in my life.

Quote:
And I know that most people won't be as good as when they're fresh. But I would still never have expected him to go from the solid lines in 313 to "Smack that all on the floor smack that give me some more." That's the kind of music he used to make fun of...

Yeah, I agree, and I think he agrees too haha...he has a few choice words on Recovery about Encore and Relapse, as well as about himself for having released that nonsense. I'm sure some of it was just his plain inability to come up with something original at the time, but I imagine a lot of what happened with Relapse was also his addiction issues that seemed to coincide with the death of Proof, one of his childhood friends and fellow artist.
chartcentral
Songs I like from Eminem are (in no particular order):
  • The Real Slim Shady
  • The Way I Am
  • Stan (featuring Dido)
  • Cleaning Out My Closet
  • Without Me
  • Sing for the Moment
  • Lose Yourself
And now he's back with "Love the Way You Lie" featuring Rihanna. Smile
silverdown
I am not much of a fan, but some songs I will listen to only cuz i dont like flipping the radio
slashnburn99
8 mile is still awesome even to this day

His new song with Rhianna is good also
soljarag
I agree, his first two LPs were his best... the 8 mile songs were also top notch.

Encore was awful, I can't believe Dr. Dre let him put that album out. Then he came out with the song "fack" i think that song was the low point of his career

on Relapse he improved a ton, however he still had quite a few bad songs on it.... he finally released a first single that was not "pop"

and now with "Recovery" he is much more mature (although there are still a hint of slim shady in it)
chartcentral
Eminem's now out with a new single called "No Love" featuring Lil Wayne. Smile
Flakky
There are some tracks of Eminem that I seriously hate due to the message, the context and the intention of some songs. Others just suck but he does have a unique style, couple of good songs and a great unique voice Smile
recked
Flakky wrote:
There are some tracks of Eminem that I seriously hate due to the message, the context and the intention of some songs. Others just suck but he does have a unique style, couple of good songs and a great unique voice Smile

hah yeah you are right, sometimes his lyrics are just too intense. One time I was playing eminem in my car with my mom and she was irritated with all the swearing. lmao
uchejohn
EMINEM IS ACTUALLY ONE THE MOST CREATIVE RAP ARTISTS THE WORLD WILL EVER KNOW. THE HARMONY THAT EXISTS AMONG HIS RHYMES IS UNIQUE AND EXCELLEENT. I LIKE THE GUY.
Nameless
uchejohn wrote:
EMINEM IS ACTUALLY ONE THE MOST CREATIVE RAP ARTISTS THE WORLD WILL EVER KNOW. THE HARMONY THAT EXISTS AMONG HIS RHYMES IS UNIQUE AND EXCELLEENT. I LIKE THE GUY.

I AGREE HE IS MOST DEFINITELY WORTHY OF THE CAPS LOCK.
Bikerman
What he has is natural timing. You can teach it, but not to his standard. He knows exactly where he is in relation to the kick-beat and that allows him to play with the timing - moving just ahead of the beat to inject urgency, or just back from it to cool it back down. It is very subtle - it took me a while to realise what was different about him after listening to quite a few rappers. There is only one I rate higher and nobody has heard of him - he did a session in the studio I used to engineer at in London. He was absolutely mind-blowing. I must see if I can dig out a copy of the studio master tape and knock-up a mix of him.....
Flakky
Nameless wrote:
uchejohn wrote:

I AGREE HE IS MOST DEFINITELY WORTHY OF THE CAPS LOCK.
Looking at a random post that uchejohn made and it was in caps as well. :S

@Bikerman, I agree. When I hear people imitating Eminem they are always off Wink
oTricKsteRx
Eminem is the best rapper for me because I don't like rap and I really like Eminem.
It's not the same thing, he's talking about life and real thing.. Not money and chicks..
Alpha118
Even though I'm honestly not much into the rapping genre, I really like Eminem. I think he does a great great job. Just bought his latest CD, recovery, which I find awesome Very Happy
Alerrandre
Eminem and Akon they are the top ones to me kkk
gverutes
He's creative and good for a white guy. But I think he stiyle is getting a little old. It's the same songs now. I wish he would evolve a little bit.
liljp617
gverutes wrote:
He's creative and good for a white guy. But I think he stiyle is getting a little old. It's the same songs now. I wish he would evolve a little bit.

The bold is unnecessary. If anybody has proven their race has little connection to their career or abilities, it's him. Needless prejudice, even if unintended.

As for the rest: He's evolved plenty throughout his career. He's managed to keep 3-4 "characters" alive in his music throughout much of his career. You really don't think he's changed in his delivery, mentality, and persona over the past 15 years? You can't listen to his earlier records compared to his records of late and tell me his music and general life outlook isn't different. He's certainly changed as an individual throughout his career (going through bouts of depression, drug problems, divorce, custody battles, lawsuits with his mother, death of close friends, etc.), so I find it odd to think his music -- which he has continuously held up as a portrayal of his life -- hasn't changed.
kharol_016
I think his cool!
a1webshopping
Eminem rules.
lucasazanha
Sim ele um dos melhores concerteza.
cstuts
Awesome, I like the fact he is different from other rappers out there, not just singing about the same thing over and over.
Zenk
Waiting for his new album :< But that will be after Detox :/
dapopeyoh
Eminem is one of my all time best rappers. He is a very talanted artist and I like him a lot.
emanuel2
I do not listen to too much hip hop / rap music. But I like a lot of Eminem songs I have to admit. I really like "Not afraid" from the new stuff. From the old records there are also a lot of songs which i like, for example: cleaning out my closet, the way I am and that 8 mile song "Lose Yourself".
But on the other hand there a still some songs I really don't can stand like "ass like that" or other similar ones.
gverutes
I'm glad the Grammy's didn't flood him with awards this year. I think it's time that other artists got recognition and the Grammy people always seem to over do it with awards to him.
feyyaz
eminem with a single word

I love you eminemm
cstuts
My favourite artist, although he is like 37 now Sad I'd love to see more of his albums come out. I started listening to him since Relapse, but I think his other albums were so much better, such us The Eminem Show or Slim Shady LP.
Insanity
He still has the best raps... I really like the flow and rhythm that he has in his songs. They also speak more eloquently than most raps.
drunkenkoz
Insanity wrote:
He still has the best raps... I really like the flow and rhythm that he has in his songs. They also speak more eloquently than most raps.

Eminem changed the theme of his raps. He use to rap about doing drugs, killing people, and how messed up his life was. Now he raps about other things...
chartcentral
drunkenkoz wrote:
Eminem changed the theme of his raps. He use to rap about doing drugs, killing people, and how messed up his life was. Now he raps about other things...

Eminem's songs probably reflect his personal perspective. It may go to show his maturity and how he's living a better life now compared to before. Smile
drunkenkoz
chartcentral wrote:
drunkenkoz wrote:

Eminem's songs probably reflect his personal perspective. It may go to show his maturity and how he's living a better life now compared to before. Smile

I use to listen to his music a lot growing up. When he stopped rapping for a short period of time, I switched to a different genre of music. When he released his new album I thought it would be awesome to hear some of his news songs. A lot of them disappointed me.
Blummer
There were times when I really enjoyed Em's lyrics and beats. I stopped listening to him after Encore. I know rap is all about lyrics, but Em's beats changed as well and became quite boring for me personally. But I may still listen to what he says...not frequently and maybe only twice a year.
stagga
Eminem is the best ever FULL STOP.
asnani04
He is one of the most versatile rappers of all time. He is different every time he sings. His voice has clarity, venom, strength, and at the same time, a sense of dislike, a deep emotion - all embedded in it. He's far ahead of the other contemporaries, at least in public liking. His songs reflect his personality and his life, and that is what makes the lyrics so believable and their delivery so magical.

Smile
subhan1
Really likes him and he is the best out there but imo the best rapper of all time is 2pac Smile
starsoft
I love him
Ashton-Fordyce
Big eminem fan

i dug encore, and dug relapse too, even though it was pretty wack, haha

Recovery was cool cos of what it symbolised, em having recovered from addiction and that. And yet i dont find myself listening to the songs from that album all that much, if at all. there are some cool songs on it though (not afraid, no love, wtp, going through changes)

yeah everyone has an opinion and thats just mine Smile at the end of the day he's an artist and i like his art
lkglacier
I know I'm not being original by saying this, but I think Eminem has to be my favourite rap artist. You pretty much can get any mood invoking song from him. He's got silly, serious, heart wrenching, sad, angry, degrading, you name it styles of songs. I just find it interesting to be able to go straight to Eminem no matter what mood I'm in.