FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chrome Operating Program

zeda
How will the new Chrome operating program look like?
silverdown
what chrome program are you talking about? Google Chrome?
meep
http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS
nam_siddharth
It will be a failure.
Asap170
I've used it before and it's very stupid. All it is is a web-browser and email client in a whole big Operating System. Also, it's not secure at all. For example: If you want to print some documents to your printer it goes into the cloud and checks your printer then get's the plug-in to print and prints. But the fact is that it has to go through the cloud means that Google has access to it and if your printing some personal documents like banking they could see that and it's a major security risk.
zeda
The link to the website provides a website that asks to build and compose the new operating program yourself. And this doesn't seem to be easy. So it seems necessary to wait till Google announces the release of its new operating system to see how it looks like and to see how it works.

At first thought the security issue of the print command seems to be a real problem.
loyal
Asap170 wrote:
I've used it before and it's very stupid. All it is is a web-browser and email client in a whole big Operating System.

Which isn't much. It's not really a real operating system. But it is useful for someone who just wants to browse the net. Which is common, at least for me. That way it'll be lightening fast, and there'll be no crashes, freezes, etc.
Although if you have a computer with decent specs, and you're taking care of your Windows installation and maintaining it, or you have something like Ubuntu, then it doesn't really matter. You could just browse the net on that computer instead, and have full functionality.
We'll have to see when it comes out if it's able to gain a decent amount of committed users.

Peace.
LostOverThere
Asap170 wrote:
I've used it before and it's very stupid. All it is is a web-browser and email client in a whole big Operating System. Also, it's not secure at all. For example: If you want to print some documents to your printer it goes into the cloud and checks your printer then get's the plug-in to print and prints. But the fact is that it has to go through the cloud means that Google has access to it and if your printing some personal documents like banking they could see that and it's a major security risk.

I find it slightly ironic that you're saying this when you have Bill Gates as your avatar. Wink

But yeah, as you've probably gathered, it's definitely not meant to compete with Windows or Mac OS X. Instead, it's more designed for netbooks and the likes.
medesignz
I use Chrome all the time... This is the best browser.
Whether or not the OS will be a success... Well we are yet to see
bjornhoogeveen
How it would look like? Well, first another point: will everything work correctly? Windows has also a problem with different kind of versions, so if Google Chrome will set up a complete OS working 100%... I'm not sure about that.

I guess google will make a OS witch is fast, and very simple. Just like the browser. Not much options, but it worked fast. I guess it would be someting like that;).
welshsteve
I think it will rival the linux based net books and mini computers like the Eepc, certainly initially, but I can't see if becoming a viable alternative to the big players in the market, certainly not for many years to come.
FunDa
Well, hope it is good.

One big problem with having many different operating systems is that you need different programs for each OS. I know that some multi platform compatible software based on Java and Flash exist, but big and cool programs and processor intensive games are very OS dependent.

Chrome OS would be suitable for netbooks for browsing and very basic needs. But definitely not for a Desktop - any opinions on Chrome OS for desktops ?
loyal
FunDa wrote:
Chrome OS would be suitable for netbooks for browsing and very basic needs. But definitely not for a Desktop - any opinions on Chrome OS for desktops ?

It's possible that Google later develop Chrome OS into a full-fledged rival operating system, like they developed Chrome browser into a full browser that has pretty much the same functionality (at least for the average user) as another decent browser.

Peace.
welshsteve
Is there any news on when this is likely to appear? I can imagine a lot of people will want to run it as a virtual machine using VirtualBox or something initially to see what the fuss is all about. I know that's how I will try it, if I do try it al all.
newage34
i dont like chrome o.s :S