FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Walrus camp-out in Alaska

deanhills
Looks like a mile of the Alaska beaches near Point Lay in North West Alaska are being camped out by one-ton female walruses. Has to be quite a sight. Apparently there is no floating ice this summer. Usually during summer the males go off to play in the Bering Sea and the females raise their young in the Chukchi. They then use the sea ice to dive from to the sea floor for clams and worms. So instead they are congregating on the beaches. Federal Scientists think this will be temporarily only, but are keeping a careful watch over them. For example US Fish and Wildlife Service are looking at arranging flight patterns to be changed so as not to spook the ladies. They have also asked locals to be "judicious" about hunting. Wonder exactly what that means?

The Scientists seem to think the melting of the ice is as a result of global warming and that likely this occurence will be repeated next year.

Source: Yahoo!News
coolclay
Wow, that's crazy. It's scary how many things are changing due to the climate. I certainly hope they don't get decimated and are hunted sustainably. I am sure the pressures they are receiving elsewhere are bad enough.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Wow, that's crazy. It's scary how many things are changing due to the climate. I certainly hope they don't get decimated and are hunted sustainably. I am sure the pressures they are receiving elsewhere are bad enough.
Agreed. But did you see how BIG they are in comparison with human beings. I was unaware that they were that large, or do you think the composition of the photo distorted the size a bit? The last live size walrus I remember seeing was in Sea World in that circus of theirs .... most undignified. Smile