FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


"Suggest a Good Posting" Button





deanhills
I noticed Bondings mention that he was thinking of rewarding really good postings with coins, and was wondering whether instead of making it just a job for staff, if suggestions could be submitted by all members in good standing via a Suggestion Box? It could be in the form of a "Suggest a Good Posting" Button perhaps in the read pane? I for example saw an excellent posting by Quex yesterday, that was really well written and deserved some special merit. I'm sure some of the other frequent posters also come across really good postings themselves on a regular basis. Then staff would have something to work with and that they can evaluate on the spot? Instead of having to go out and search for good postings?

Once anyone clicks on the "Suggest a Good Posting" Button, there could also be a little dialogue box giving some guidelines and criteria for what is expected in general.
Bondings
It's a good idea, but requires a lot more work than allowing the staff to reward good topics/posts. So yes I might do it, but there are a lot of other things I need to do first.
Ghost Rider103
I think there could be an alternative to actually making it more simple.

We could do pretty much the same thing we did with the report button. Have pretty much the same functions, but just have a "Good Post" button or "Good" and then the staff can look at the suggested posts and we can then decide whether or not it's worth coins.

Shouldn't be too hard doing it this way. You would just have to copy the report function and modify a new page for suggesting a good post instead of reporting a bad one.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
It's a good idea, but requires a lot more work than allowing the staff to reward good topics/posts. So yes I might do it, but there are a lot of other things I need to do first.
Thanks Bondings. Smile

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I think there could be an alternative to actually making it more simple.

We could do pretty much the same thing we did with the report button. Have pretty much the same functions, but just have a "Good Post" button or "Good" and then the staff can look at the suggested posts and we can then decide whether or not it's worth coins.

Shouldn't be too hard doing it this way. You would just have to copy the report function and modify a new page for suggesting a good post instead of reporting a bad one.
That is brilliant GhostRider. I was not sure in my mind's eye of the exact spot, but that would work perfectly.
Ghost Rider103
This could be a feature similar to Facebook's "Like" option.

This is quite a good idea. Since it's hard as a moderator to get around to reading every single post, help from the community in finding great posts would be helpful. Though in my opinion, a post would have to be very well written and very well informative to get any coins (from me anyways).
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Though in my opinion, a post would have to be very well written and very well informative to get any coins (from me anyways).
Absolutely. And probably also only occasionally selected so as to make it really special. Perhaps by Bondings himself.
Nemesis234
well if you are going down the route of rating each post, why not let the users rate them? ive seen many forums where users can rate a post and this boosts the posters kudos or something, sure this could be modified to boost frih$ or coins or w/e. and if it is voted by users, mods wont get bogged down with having to look through random posts that may not interest them/they might not understand, if the users vote, they would only be in that topic if it interested them.
zeda
deanhills wrote:
I for example saw an excellent posting by Quex yesterday, that was really well written and deserved some special merit.


It is convenient when the link to the post is included.
It is possible to open a thread about good posts and link in the comments to good posts.

Edit: The topic to suggest good posts is open.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-119121.html

Probably the first post in this list is ment by the topic starter.

http://www.frihost.com/users/quex/latest-posts.html
ocalhoun
Another option would be to have the server identify some of the good posts.

Generally, a post that is quoted is good, for example.
You could add code into posting.php?mode=quote that stored the identity of the quoted user, then add, say, .10 coins to that user when the submit button is clicked.

Though, I would also enjoy seeing a 'good post' button put on posts, though that needs two things:
1: Limit the number of times a user can do this, such as only once per topic, or only one for every post the reporter makes. It may also be good to make a limit to how many times you can 'good post' the same user in a specified time period. (To mitigate the effects of cheating.)
2: Make the 'good post' button usable without navigating away from the page... It will be utilized far more often if this is the case.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Another option would be to have the server identify some of the good posts.

Generally, a post that is quoted is good, for example.
You could add code into posting.php?mode=quote that stored the identity of the quoted user, then add, say, .10 coins to that user when the submit button is clicked.

Though, I would also enjoy seeing a 'good post' button put on posts, though that needs two things:
1: Limit the number of times a user can do this, such as only once per topic, or only one for every post the reporter makes. It may also be good to make a limit to how many times you can 'good post' the same user in a specified time period. (To mitigate the effects of cheating.)
2: Make the 'good post' button usable without navigating away from the page... It will be utilized far more often if this is the case.
A limitation is probably a good idea, but perhaps the number of times could be qualified by the ranking of the Frihoster? Those who have larger number of postings may be able to do this a greater number of times, than someone who is a newbie?
mtorregiani
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
This could be a feature similar to Facebook's "Like" option.

This is quite a good idea. Since it's hard as a moderator to get around to reading every single post, help from the community in finding great posts would be helpful. Though in my opinion, a post would have to be very well written and very well informative to get any coins (from me anyways).


That's a great idea in my opinion. There's a 'Thank you button' mod for phpBB if I remember correctly, maybe you could change the permissions on this so only the moderators can 'Thank' (or give coins, whatever). As I'm not a programmer, I have no clue about the difficulty of this...
snowboardalliance
I think this could be simple if you could "like" or "thumbs up" a post. Maybe take away any incentive to game the system (no one earns any points or anything), but posts with the most votes within a certain period of activity could be promoted to the top of the topic list below the sticky's.

It could be helpful to identify posts really worth reading over all of the other noise.

But if people earn extra points/coins/etc. it would have to be much more restrictive.

And yes, some new member could try and promote spam with fake accounts or something, but we could put some restriction on voting (must be a member for >30 days to start "liking" posts for instance).
Bluedoll
I suggest not using a good posting button relative to coins but do think acknowledgment of good posts is an excellent idea. Perhaps a contest or simply a recognition of some sort for the best posts could be a reward? Coins will become too much of a game currency, while good posts are related to personal preference and not a mere status symbol? – just some thoughts
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
I suggest not using a good posting button relative to coins but do think acknowledgment of good posts is an excellent idea. Perhaps a contest or simply a recognition of some sort for the best posts could be a reward? Coins will become too much of a game currency, while good posts are related to personal preference and not a mere status symbol? – just some thoughts
Contest sounds like a great idea Bluedoll. And you may have a good point here. A contest will make it much easier to deal with on a one-off basis. And it could have fixed rules and a panel that can help Bondings or anyone who is designated to run the contest.
ocalhoun
Bluedoll wrote:
I suggest not using a good posting button relative to coins but do think acknowledgment of good posts is an excellent idea. Perhaps a contest or simply a recognition of some sort for the best posts could be a reward? Coins will become too much of a game currency, while good posts are related to personal preference and not a mere status symbol? – just some thoughts

Kind of like a karma system, I guess?

Simpler and better than a full-blown karma system would just be a 'thumbs up' button on posts, and a count of how many of these a user has received next to their post count under the avatar.
They wouldn't need to be used for anything, just a sort of status symbol.
zbale
Sounds like a good idea. My advice would be:

- keep it as simple as possible (technically and as far as the moderators' time is concerned)

- make sure it cannot be "cheated"

- make an incentive out of it (10-20 "ups" or "likes" meaning one added point, for instance?)

Good luck figuring that one out!
Bluedoll
@Ocalhoun - not 100% sure what you mean by Karma System but I was thinking of moving away from the status aspect because I think it damages the purpose somewhat.
The goal is an incentive to encourage good posts and acknowledge them when they occur. I know making acknowledgement could be translated into a status symbol too but I was really thinking along the lines of . . .

Member making posts = member reward system = points, coins, free web space
Members making good posts = appreciation = recognized as part of a community

It does not need to translate into an ‘elite’ or to be rewarded. Receiving an acknowledgement gives a sense of belonging to good community. This has its benefits and translates into improvements in a lot of areas up the road. I was thinking of how some sites pick the top 5, 10 etc member contributions and put them somewhere for viewing as for an example.
@zbale – you made a ‘good’ post because keep it simple makes perfect sense to me
@deanhills – I think your idea of a panel it super as it takes the work load off the management and allows some enthusiastic members to contribute something to the community

So what does the button actually do? It might just keep a tally (hit number) of what posts actually are catching peoples eyes are recognized as ‘good ones’.
It is a simple matter of doing something with a few good posts. Copy and paste them to a page titled “posts of recognition this month as appreciation to the members that have taken the time to contribute to the community?”
__________________________________________

Ok, that was a little long winded but trying to share some thoughts I had and actually put some thought into the idea of a button for ‘good posting’ while thinking it is good to have this possibility up for discussion now.
Related topics
Things that you MUST not SUGGEST -- READ BEFORE POSTING!
Scripts Available on Frihost
Weird Posting Thing...
Suggest a Free or Trial classifieds script
NEED SOMEONE TO HOST MY MUSIC PLAYER
Weirdest problem I have ever seen
Can't extract a file from a Zip archive!!!
Account persistence
WHY is The Naked Ape naked?
Server Setup
OVER, PLEASE LOCK!
"Thank you" button
Faith forum?
Something like dot.tk ?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.