FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The fastest operating program.

Which version has the highest speed?
1. Windows 7.
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
2. Arch Linux.
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
3. Tiny Linux.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
4. I will answer this qustion in a post.
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

zeda
Which operating program is the fastest?
Would a lite version be faster?
Is any Linux version fast compared to Windows 7?
Fire Boar
Speed depends mostly on the software configuration. Windows 7 is MUCH slower after a few years of use, several applications installed and all the drivers. I did some testing recently on fresh installations...

Comparing a fresh installation of Windows 7 with Ubuntu 10.04 on my old computer, both take approximately the same amount of time to boot. However, Windows 7 here has an advantage: the drivers are minimal, mostly not installed yet, whereas Ubuntu already supports all the hardware. Once I had loaded all the drivers required for normal usage on both systems (that's the nVidia graphics driver on Ubuntu, and just about everything on Windows) it took more than twice as long for Windows to boot up (52 seconds vs 25).

With a solid state hard drive, however, the difference widens even more. Windows takes about 35 seconds, which is an impressive gain, but Ubuntu boots up in just 7 seconds.

After years of use... well, Windows is notorious for slowing down through time. On the other hand, I've never had any "slow down with time" problems with Linux.

So, that makes most Linux distributions clear winners over what Windows is capable of. Comparing each other... the basic factors are the kernel version and the services. A bare bones terminal that acts as a dedicated server has very few expensive services running, so boots up and runs much faster. On the other hand, a desktop computer requires more services: CUPS for printing, X11 for the window system, and so on, and these (especially X11) take time in the boot sequence.

Of course, all that only compares Windows and Linux. There are other operating systems: Google's upcoming Chromium OS looks to be much faster but also fairly limited in desktop functionality.
zeda
Fire Boar gives some interesting information above here. My experience is that Ubuntu is slow and Windows 7 is fast.
meep
zeda wrote:
Fire Boar gives some interesting information above here. My experience is that Ubuntu is slow and Windows 7 is fast.

I don't think there is a way in which Windows 7 is actually faster than ubuntu, unless you haven't compared them on the same system Confused
Comparing them on my netbook; windows, slow and takes around 55 seconds to boot up, while linux takes about half of that and is quicker
Fire Boar
zeda wrote:

In the versions released 2007-2008 there were some significant performance problems in the kernel with regard to disk activity. Ubuntu, being on the cutting edge, used these "latest" kernels and saw very poor performance at times that was often close to and occasionally slightly slower than Windows on a hard disk (non-SSD) drive. These performance problems have since been fixed and now (using the latest versions of each) a fresh installation of Ubuntu 10.04 should in theory start up much faster than a fresh Windows 7 on any computer.
zeda
It seems to be an option to renew the experiment with Ubuntu and Windows 7 on the same computer to compare the speed of both the operating programs.
loyal
Fire Boar wrote:

After years of use... well, Windows is notorious for slowing down through time. On the other hand, I've never had any "slow down with time" problems with Linux.

I've never understood the reason for that. Why does Windows slow down in time? It's ridiculous. One keeps having to reinstall every year or so. I've never had to reinstall my Ubuntu unless I broke it. It always remains as fast as it was when it was first installed.

Peace.
LostOverThere
Wait, some people think Windows 7 is faster than Arch Linux?

I need to try Windows 7 again. Confused
bjornhoogeveen
I only use windows 7.. and I must say: I'm still surprised about how fast this OS is. I hasn't expected this, so my vote goes to win 7 Very Happy
soljarag
It all depends.... computers these days are so fast it doesnt really matter.....
FunDa
Fire Boar wrote:
... loaded all the drivers required for normal usage on both systems (that's the nVidia graphics driver on Ubuntu, and just about everything on Windows) it took more than twice as long for Windows to boot up (52 seconds vs 25).

With a solid state hard drive, however, the difference widens even more. Windows takes about 35 seconds, which is an impressive gain, but Ubuntu boots up in just 7 seconds.

OMG ! Computers have come a long way since my time. 7 seconds is less than the time it took to open a program after Windows was already booted up.

I love the 21st century. Smile
ankur209
Windows 7....!!
welshsteve
I think the very way in which Windows works means it will never be as fast as Linux distros. But as has already been said, the speed will depend on software and hardware configuration.