FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows 7 starter edition

Twotone
I have been trying Win 7 Starter on a netbook .......why is it so limited ....and can i improve it?

without spending money Smile
Ankhanu
Twotone wrote:
I have been trying Win 7 Starter on a netbook .......why is it so limited ....and can i improve it?

Legally? No... unless you consider wiping it and installing Linux an improvement (which it is).

Why is it limited? Netbooks have some pretty limited hardware; while they can run a full version of Win7, they don't run it as quickly as a reduced version. Mind you the loss of functionality imposed by Starter FAR outweighs the performance improvements it offers. Starter is garbage.

Either pay extra for a system that doesn't have Starter, or get one and install Linux. You'll be much happier.
loyal
Twotone wrote:

The starter pack for windows 7 got quite a few nice features disabled, such as Aero. You cant enable them without upgrading (although try looking around for an article on how to "hack" them available). For more information on what is and is not in the starter pack, check out: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare (and click on 'Feature Comparison').

Peace.
zeda
Options:
1. Make an image of your Starter version. This means you can use it after you tried other versions and you decide you want to use the Starter version again. When you have a dvd of the Starter version you don't need an image to install the Starter. The image should be on a seperate external disk or on a dvd.
2. Download a free evaluation version of Windows 7. Instructions and a download link are in this topic:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-118471.html&highlight=

3. Burn a dvd with an iso-burn program.
4. Install the free Windows 7 version.
5. If possible: tweak Windows 7.
6. Put the energy scheme on the highest performance.
7. Turn off aerial.
8. Turn off defender.
9. Turn off defragmentation.
10. Turn off restore points.
11. Change the looks intoe Windows Classic.
Those tweaks decreases the load of the computer.
See how your tiny computer works with Windows 7.
weableandbob
There isn't really any free, legal way to upgrade Windows itself. The only ways to improve your experience are buy a different version or just use third party software.
zeda
weableandbob wrote:
There isn't really any free, legal way to upgrade Windows itself. The only ways to improve your experience are buy a different version or just use third party software.

what do you mean?
meep
My netbook has Windows 7 Starter edition too but I noticed it's really slow, so I installed Ubuntu alongside it.
So my recommendation is to install Ubuntu or another distro but keep windows 7 on a different partition.
That way if you don't like it you can you remove the Ubuntu partition and add it back to windows.

p.s Ubuntu also boots around 2 times as fast and shuts down WAY faster.
Fire Boar
zeda wrote:
weableandbob wrote:

what do you mean?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that weableandbob means that there isn't really any free, legal way to upgrade Windows itself, and that the only ways to improve your experience are to either buy a different version or just use third-party software to replace missing features in the Starter edition. Which is true, except for the bit about being "the only ways to improve your experience". The other alternative is to use a different, free operating system - Ubuntu with Compiz (desktop effects) is a far better user experience than anything else I've tried.
socials
Windows starter is so simply. It does not allow you to change the background so easy. So I don't really like it.