FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much time do you spend studying each week?

granvals
Everyone always says that the general rule of thumb (at least in my experience) is that a 4 credit class usually requires 8 to 10 hourof studying time to successfully complete the course.

I got away with 4 or less in several of my classes,and spent 10 hours in others.

Overall I probably studied about 20-30 hours a week out of class for a full time schedule.

How much total time do you spend studying for your classes each week?
coolclay
Well I am not currently enrolled in school but 3 years ago when I was it was the same deal, lots of studying for some classes and a little for others. The nice thing about my undergrad was that I worked as a peer tutor for all 4 years so I got paid to study and work on assignments 10 hours a week. Of course occasionally I would help students, and copy and scan papers, but most of the time was spent doing whatever I wanted to do!
Klaw 2
Last year I was in university, electrical engineering, but I quit after 3/4 of a year because I was waaaay behind. I'm now doing HBO wich is one "level" lower. I just started last week so everything I have now i already had in university so I hardly have to make any homework now but I hope that it will become a bit harder. I'm also doing the first two years in one year so it's only 3 years. But in university you usually had to spend about 2 X "the hours you were in class".
LittleBlackKitten
When I was IN school, I never studied. Ever. The few times I ever did, it seriously messed up my GPA because it messed with my brain SO badly, that I was getting everything wrong. Mind you, my brain absorbs information far more easily and differently than most people, and I cannot to this say simply read a book and learn anything. I have to visually imagine everything I'm seeing, or I won't get it, and if its an unfamiliar range of subject then generally I HAVE to have a conversation or watch a video in order to get it. I'm a bad example of studying, since it ends up screwing me up.
iman
I don't know, but my general rule is to put sleep before studying. Sleeping late seriously messes up all that you've learned especially if all the info is just crammed from last night. It's better to study in the morning.
missdixy
depends on the class. though honestly some of my classes i spent a lot less than 4 hours a week reading/studying for. but this also depends on the week!

i suppose this is why i'm a B student now that i'm in college but..whatever. i prefer sanity.
Greatking
Lets say about four hours a week reading a lot. it all depends on how much i am able to grab in the class room so that i spend less hours reading and studying. its great really you just plan.
Cliffer
study is endless ...everytime and everywhere.
spring567
I want to study every day but I find there is no time . I need to work everyday.
liljp617
In terms of directly for school (doing the homework, readings, and focused studying), probably around four hours on an average week.

I consider much of what I do that isn't related to school "studying." Reading message boards is learning to me, depending on the subject of course. Many discussions bring up links to various topics that I'll usually check out. I also try to read in my free time, but that gets a bit bogged down during the semester.
ribozon
5 or 6 hours a week
Bikerman
I probably spend 3-4 hours a day studying one thing or another, and I don't even have any exams to sit Smile I like studying, and when you enjoy something it isn't a chore.
Insanity
It varies a lot depending on how many classes I'm currently taking. The biology classes I have right now don't really need a lot of studying, only before the exams and quizzes. It's probably not the best way to go through college, but the way the class is setup, you don't really need to do any reading, but instead just pay attention in class and you will be able to ace the test. Usually the professor doesn't test on anything that he doesn't go over in class, so if you stick to studying the lecture notes right before the exam, you should be doing adequately enough to pass the class. It worked for me for most of my college life, and it says something about the way the current educational system is set up.
kitsrock
If you can have Bikerman's attitude, that's probably the best way to go.

I made a terrible habit of learning things on a whim. i.e. what I want when I feel like it.
While this helped me learn things faster, it also made me lose concentration. I used to spend some 4~5 hours per week studying school material. Not the best way to go if you're aiming for good grades.
Bikerman
At a young age it is often about having a teacher who inspires. When I was young I found most of the teaching uninteresting so I didn't really push myself. It was only when I got into Higher Education that I began to find that I actually liked studying certain things because I genuinely wanted to know. Once you have that attitude then there really isn't any need to swat-up. I didn't really do any revision for my Degree because I was interested in the subject and therefore would remember the content because I wanted to, not because I had to. If you go to a lecture prepared and eager to push your existing knowledge then you are almost bound to remember the material and be able to recall/use it. Sometimes, of course, you really have to graft to understand a particular concept/idea. It was like that with Relativity for me. I could see what was being said, but without understanding it then I couldn't remember it - I find you have to be able to explain something to others before you can be sure you really understand it, which is why it is often said that teachers are their own best students. I had to graft at the maths to be able to understand the theory and that was quite hard. It wasn't a chore, though, because I really wanted to know...
Arseniy
Heh, I'll try to count now my daily load in academy.
I've got mostly 4 or 5 pairs a day, each for one hour twenty minutes. Average here: 1.3*4,5*5=29.25 hours per week (without Saturday and Sunday).
Plus I've got 2 or 3 hours every day to do my homework and Japanese courses on Monday and Thursday. That'll go additional 2 2/3+10=12 2/3 hours.
Approximately 42 hours per week Sad
_AVG_
I'd say around 2-3 hours per day on weekdays and 3-4 hours week ends . Cumulatively about 25 hours or so. You shouldn't overdo it as well - studying is not the only thing in life Very Happy
ankur209
For me there is no space for study in my life... Laughing
Actually most of my time kept passing by working online...Studying watching tutorials online and that is all that comprises to my studies...and if you are talking about that practical studying thing similar to sitting on the chair and books on the table...then that will be about 3-4 hrs a week.... Razz

yes..m pretty much serious... Razz
ham65
20 - 30 hours week.
tamilparks
10 - 20 hours per week
rogue_skydragon
I am a student of life, and so I study perhaps every minute of my waking life (and reflect in dreams while I sleep). We are all studying whether it be books or our surrounding social environments.
standready
While i am a long time out of school. I still spend a couple of hours a week studying for my profession. Education should be an ongoing item for most careers.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
When I was IN school, I never studied. Ever. The few times I ever did, it seriously messed up my GPA because it messed with my brain SO badly, that I was getting everything wrong. Mind you, my brain absorbs information far more easily and differently than most people, and I cannot to this say simply read a book and learn anything. I have to visually imagine everything I'm seeing, or I won't get it, and if its an unfamiliar range of subject then generally I HAVE to have a conversation or watch a video in order to get it. I'm a bad example of studying, since it ends up screwing me up.
I realize you must have posted this a long time ago, but this posting was very interesting to me LittleBlackKitten. Looks as though some people learn and absorb materials much more effectively when they see and hear it, than reading the materials. I must say I learn much faster too if I can visualize what I am learning and have someone who is energetic and passionate about his subject explaining it to me. YouTube in this regard has been pretty amazing. When someone injects some humour in the presentation too, I seem to retain it much more readily as well.

When I did some searches about it I came across the following questionnaire as a test of what method of learning works best for us:
http://lookingahead.heinle.com/filing/l-styles.htm
remeinic
i am a teacher myself, and i encourage my student to study and revision every day although when iam a student, i dont study much and play more. lol. hope the student will listen to me and study hard becoz people become more inteligent every day.
debjitbiswas
I dont like studying too much i just do it 4 hour daily routine.
naweed
Very little. I spend most of my time doing homework. What's the use of revising if you have understand everything.
mengshi200
total agreed.
Cliffer wrote:
study is endless ...everytime and everywhere.
mengshi200
got away with 4 or less in several of my classes,and spent 10 hours in others.

Overall I probably studied about 20-30 hours a week out of class for a full time schedule.
-----------
I think according requirement to study.everytime and everywhere. that is best way.
using google to search and program driven.
gandalfthegrey
When in school, I'd spend less than a 8 hours each week.
inuyasha
Usually 8 hours out of a day. Humm... 56 hours a week. I'm a university student now. When I was in high school, that was much longer. Nearly 12 hours per day.
therimalaya
Usually I give 12-15 hrs a week for my study but when i was in university last year, the time i have given is a bit more than that. At the time of exam, i have to give more than 30 hrs that really makes me tired as i was also working in an organization. That was a real rush.
nigam
8 hours a day during my school.....from mondays to fridays...
cybersa
2 Hours daily.
If tomorrow i have exam means,i will try to study for 5 hours.
jajarvin
I study every day for two to four hours.
asnani04
Ever since I've entered 11th standard, I guess I've studied around 5 hours a day on regular days. Physics, Chemistry and Math just have courses that are too long - they never seem to end!
mshafiq
When ever i found time i spend learning electronic devices,their mechanical system,how they work,and if i want to change a system it will perform the same or it will become some thing else.I am very curious person what why is always a part of my life.Because of my this habit and thirst of learn i always busy in one and other things.I already learnt few computer languages and have a thirst to learn more.I never leave any thing with out understanding.
cantzer
i don't have to much time, so i usually need 10-30 hours/week
burgerbelly
In the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), I found that for every one hour of class time required about 2 hours of studying.

Smile
mshafiq
there is no fix time for study.what ever i found time i go for it.I am very found of reading and listing world news and some good books.
jakler
40 h
Iceaxe0410
When I was in school, I admit I was not the best student. I'd slack off and play video games or surf the Internet. Studying was not my strong suit. That said, I probably studied around 10-20 hours every week. Usually it would be a couple hours just before an exam. Cram all that information so it's still fresh in the mind. I managed to get average grades. I was sort of an underachiever in that respect. But, I suppose you could use my example as what to strive for if you want better grades. Then again, people have different methods and habits that work better for them. Mine was clearly not the best way, but I did get my degree. Might have not been the top of my class, but I moved along.
mshafiq
usually 4 hours after school
mshafiq
When i was student ,i was spending each day almost four hours after school