FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How often do you Reboot?

How often do you reboot?
Daily, I shut it down at night.
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
Daily, to cool it down.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Weekly, to clear memory jams.
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Monthly for updates
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

jwellsy
Lets see what kind of diversity we have in rebooting frequencies.
Nemesis234
daily. what possible reason is there to leave your computer on over night? unless you are downloading or rendering or something, and if thats the case get a low power sleeper computer, but turn off your main one save the world and all that crap
ocalhoun
Aw, no option less frequent than monthly.

My Linux computer can update without rebooting, and I don't allow my Windows computer to do updates at all. (Windows updates break things more often than they fix things, and I prefer third party software for virus/malware protection... and denying updates saves precious bandwidth.)

And, by the way, if anybody thinks they're doing their computer a favor by letting it 'cool down', you're wrong.
Most of the wear and tear on the electronic components happens when booting up or shutting down, or during the temperature change this causes. Staying in the same mode of operation at the same temperature at all times is how computers last the longest. (This can be off at all times or on at all times, but the computer is more useful when on at all times.)
Nemesis234
ocalhoun wrote:

My Linux computer can update without rebooting, and I don't allow my Windows computer to do updates at all. (Windows updates break things more often than they fix things, and I prefer third party software for virus/malware protection... and denying updates saves precious bandwidth.)

And, by the way, if anybody thinks they're doing their computer a favor by letting it 'cool down', you're wrong.
Most of the wear and tear on the electronic components happens when booting up or shutting down, or during the temperature change this causes. Staying in the same mode of operation at the same temperature at all times is how computers last the longest. (This can be off at all times or on at all times, but the computer is more useful when on at all times.)

isnt your electricity bill through the roof? 2 computers running 24/7? what is the reason for this??
Fire Boar
Electricity is the other side of the coin. I keep my computer in my room, so I shut it off at night because of the noise and, naturally, to save electricity.
jwellsy
ocalhoun wrote:

I did have another option that said:
- Never, I don't run Windows.
But, when I hit the submit button it only published the first four answers. I doubt if the Apple folks reboot very often either.

I agree with you that startups and shutdowns are heavy duty work loads. A HDD has a lot of mechanical movement during those evolutions, the more reboots you do the the shorter life expectancy the HD will have. The new SSD's should help that out.

Also, a fan with a questionable bearing can run for a very long time if it's left running. Shutting it down can can destroy a marginal bearing.

As far as noise goes I tend to stay away from little bitty fans in favor of good heat sink coolers and try to stay with 120 sized fans in the case and psu's.
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:

I did have another option that said:
- Never, I don't run Windows.
But, when I hit the submit button it only published the first four answers. I doubt if the Apple folks reboot very often either.

I agree with you that startups and shutdowns are heavy duty work loads. A HDD has a lot of mechanical movement during those evolutions, the more reboots you do the the shorter life expectancy the HD will have. The new SSD's should help that out.

Also, a fan with a questionable bearing can run for a very long time if it's left running. Shutting it down can can destroy a marginal bearing.

As far as noise goes I tend to stay away from little bitty fans in favor of good heat sink coolers and try to stay with 120 sized fans in the case and psu's.

Well, not only those things, but even the tiny electronic components on circuit boards will not benefit from heating up and cooling down repeatedly. They expand and contract, and since the board is made of many different materials, they do so at different rates. Eventually, metal fatigue sets in and a tiny lead somewhere breaks loose... and if it's a vital one, then that can cause a whole assembly to fail.

When some random component, like a video card, suddenly fails without apparent reason, it's usually a) dust or b) heating and cooling fatigue.

As for power bills, I rent, and my electric is included in the rent. ^.^ The computers convert what little electricity they do use ultimately into heat anyway, which can only be good for the long Dakota winters. I do shut the monitors off though, because even when displaying a black screen they put out more light than I like at night.
jwellsy
Another consideration is managing boot time durations. As the technology progresses and boot times get shorter, older machines get more frustrating as they are perceived slower.
If you want to check the weather forecast in the morning before work, waiting 5 minutes or more for the machine to boot and browser to load can be an eternity. Also, some people like to write down dreams that they have. Sometimes it makes sense to reboot based on lifestyle.

I do agree that work computers should probably be shutdown when unutilized at night and on weekends. Personal machines should serve to enhance your lifestyle. If someone feels guilty about leaving their machine on 24/7, they can sign up for folding at home and donate that potential compute power to the worthy study of protein folding.

Or, save the planet and shut it down every time you walk away from it, it's your choice. Everyone decides what reboot schedule works for them. I think that's written in some of those end users license agreements that come with the first system you buy.
Nemesis234
jwellsy wrote:
Another consideration is managing boot time durations. As the technology progresses and boot times get shorter, older machines get more frustrating as they are perceived slower.
If you want to check the weather forecast in the morning before work, waiting 5 minutes or more for the machine to boot and browser to load can be an eternity. Also, some people like to write down dreams that they have. Sometimes it makes sense to reboot based on lifestyle.

I do agree that work computers should probably be shutdown when unutilized at night and on weekends. Personal machines should serve to enhance your lifestyle. If someone feels guilty about leaving their machine on 24/7, they can sign up for folding at home and donate that potential compute power to the worthy study of protein folding.

Or, save the planet and shut it down every time you walk away from it, it's your choice. Everyone decides what reboot schedule works for them. I think that's written in some of those end users license agreements that come with the first system you buy.

heard of pen and paper? if you want to write down your dreams, keep a note-pad and pen beside your bed, and write it down before you even get out from under the covers.

and a computer taking 5 mions to boot? lol, no. my computer is easilly 10, maybe 15 years old now, 1ghz, 128 ram etc and still boots fine in less than a min on xp. compared to modern computers that might be considered slow, but those who do need to slow down a bit themselves and not expect everything now, thats a bad habit to be in, and not a healthy one.
loyal
I don't like rebooting. Shutting down takes a while. I prefer to hibernate the computer. It saves power and boots the OS much faster. However I am forced to reboot every now and then because Windows slows down, and only a reboot speeds it back up (to its top "speed" of great slowness).

Peace.
tamilparks
if the system gets struck or if any new softwares installed or if any softwares uninstalled i willl reboot the system
ahnguye5
Even with my media server at home running on FreeNAS that could probably stay on until it dies, I turn it off because I'm not accessing it all the time. I think this is something that boils down to how people use their computers, their level of patience, concern for energy costs, etc.
Jean-Clod
Daily, because I don't see why I should leave it running! (it's in my bedroom, it generates noise and heat)

When I'm downloading things, I leave it on (and I seed, BTW), sometimes for weeks (I begin a new download when the other one is still running - and I leave it on because it needs time before you can get full download speed again)