FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Music Photography by BJWOK - UPDATED (Tracer)

bjwok
DEAD THREAD AND ACCOUNT

PLEASE DELETE
bjwok
Cypress Hill @ HQ

I’d like to think that the big, fat, doobie-looking joint being smoked on stage during Cypress Hill‘s set at HQ tonight was real, however something about politically correctness combined with the prevalent rule of no smoking (of cigarettes) in venues had me second guessing myself.

I mean, for Cypress Hill to NOT smoke a joint on stage would be like a metal band without long hair (woops Metallica), even worse if they tried to fool the punters that it WAS in fact a joint.

I guess it will never be found out.

Either way, there was a very funny smell wafting through HQ tonight: the punters were waving the flag high and proud, seemingly without any hassles from the man.

Standard lighting at HQ – lots of strobing rear light, yet very little spotties on faces.

rogue_skydragon
Absolutely fantastic. My favorite? The last one of the set list. Bomb.
bjwok
serious? that one is lame! only take set list pics for a record of the songs, nothing photographic about it at all
bjwok
Was on set with the Hilltop Hoods a few months back as they filmed their new DVD “Parade Of The Dead“, photographing the behind the scenes/making of.

The DVD is available now, check the trailer and some snippets over here: http://paradeofthedead.com.au, then order your copy now.

The October issue of the newly re-branded Triple J Magazine (formerly jmag) includes an interview with the Hoods in the lead up to the DVD’s release that features my photography.

You may still be able to pick up a copy from newsagents or ABC Shops, but I’d be quick!

Here’s the spread:

And here’s the original shots, so you can get a feel for how they looked straight out of camera and how they went together to form the spread.

Borrowed the set lighting for this one. Shot as cameras rolled.

Lit with a single 580EX II off camera, diffused.

Borrowed the set lighting for this one. Shot as cameras rolled. No fear of my shutter click being picked up by the mic - that zombie was growling LOUD!!

How AMAZING is that makeup!! Shot with a single 580EX II off camera, via cord, diffused.

bjwok
Ed Kowalczyk @ the Thebby

I was never really a fan of the band Live, but so have a great deal of respect for core songwriter Ed Kowalczyk.

Playing a solo show tonight at the Thebby, lifting tracks from a variety of his material, he certainly held his own out front.

Lighting was perfect with a good mix of smoke and blue gells at the back of stage combined with spotties tracking Ed up front.

No stage barrier sucked, and the crew behind me who refused to believe I was there to shoot for only the first three songs and complained and barged me constantly really ground my gears.

Ghost Rider103
bjwok wrote:
How AMAZING is that makeup!! Shot with a single 580EX II off camera, via cord, diffused.

Some amazing makeup work indeed! The things they can do now to make things so realistic is amazing.

Some great shots you have here. I bet it was a blast to be around while they were shooting that! Good work.
bjwok
thanks mate Smile

yeah the hoods are a fun bunch of guys and if you see parade of the dead i am sure you will think the same! it's very funny! get it!
bjornhoogeveen
Woah... I can't sleep anymore because of that picture bjwok! :O
bjwok
which one mate?
bjwok
Metallica @ the Ent Centre

Metallica have one of the biggest stage performances in live music today.

Their stage/lighting setup alone requires 20 semi-trailers to move it between cities, plus who knows how many trucks for instruments, then there is the entourage of personnel – Metallica have their own set stage security.

A unique “stage-in-the-round” layout for the Death Magnetic tour means the band can switch between facing any direction during songs, therefore at some point during the show face every angle of crowd. Priceless for those punters who were at the “back” of the Ent Centre tonight.

For us photographers this means moving right the way around the rectangular photo pit, following the guys on stage as they front up to any mic of their choosing – no easy task when there are 8 photogs, plus Metallica’s in house photog all trying to get their shots.

All told, photographing Metallica was an incredible experience and choosing 10 shots to showcase all that went down was no easy task!

I’ll leave any talk of tonight’s setlist to the hardcore fans, however with such a vast backlog of material to choose from, it would be difficult to cover everyone’s ideal Metallica tracks. For me, I think we got a good mix of old and new the highlights being Fade To Black and Master Of Puppets.

Catching James Hetfield having lunch with a mate at The Strand the next day I didn’t let the chance for some heavy (pun intended) networking slip me past: I made a quick introduction, explained I photographed their show the night before and if he would like to see the pics here’s my card. I think it highly unlikely but if he does scope my site, you never know what could come of it Smile

catscratches
Those are som excellent shots. Great work!
bjwok
thanks cat Smile was an incredible show!
rogue_skydragon
These are freaking amazing, mate! I love the shot with the diffused 580EX...great use of dramatic lighting, and very cinematic. You've made a fan out of me
bjwok
thanks very much buddy Smile

good to see someone getting as much enjoyment from my shoots as i do!
bjwok
Gareth Liddiard @ the Grace Emily

Gareth Liddiard is a funny bastard.

Every gap between songs tonight was filled with amusingly told tales that had the room in stitches.

I haven’t shot at the Grace for a while and it was a welcome surprise to see new lighting!! This stage now is intimate enough and lit perfectly! Sweet!!

bjwok
Shihad @ Fowlers

Somehow over the years I've never seen a Shihad show.

They are a lot heavier live than on their records and that for me is a good thing.

I chose to b/w convert these as the lighting at Fowlers tonight was good, but flat.

bjwok
Guns N' Roses @ Ent Centre

Only being allowed to shoot from the sound desk meant these shots of Guns N’ Roses would all be very similar.

It really is up to the performer to do something to make shots like these decent, as angles and framing is totally limited.

All shot with 70-200mm f/2.8

Ghost Rider103
Some great shots here, especially when you consider where you were shooting from.

#4 is an awesome shot, with everyones hands blurred/blacked out and everything. That shot just works man! Great work!
bjwok
yeah thanks heaps man Smile

was tricky to get anything decent in just three songs and from all that way back, but that is the challenge i face and i'm up for it!!
bjwok
Parkway Drive @ No Sleep Til Adelaide, December ’10

As part of an upcoming spread for Alt Press Magazine (USA) I shot Parkway Drive on location and also their live set at No Sleep Til.

The live shots that made print cannot be run here until after the mag has been on the streets for a month and the location shots will also be available at that same time, but until then these are some of the live shots that didn't make the cull.

bjwok
Dropkick Murphys @ No Sleep Til Adelaide, December ’10

Possibly the highlight of the day for many, Dropkick Murphys played a tight, fast show, complete with amazing stage lighting and props.

bjwok
Megadeth @ No Sleep Til Adelaide, December ’10

Whether you were there for the punk or the metal, Megadeth put the finishing touches to No Sleep Til Adelaide 2010 perfectly.

It's a shame most of the venue was empty to witness it.

Ghost Rider103
Again, more excellent shots!

I had a question, in Dropkick Murphys @ No Sleep Til Adelaide, December ’10 on photo number 8 I think it was, you can see he has some sort of ear piece in.

I've seen just about every singer have these things in their ear and I've always wondered what it was for. Do you have any clue?
bjwok
that's foldback. it's so they can hear a perfect mix down of all other members of the band and then more accurately judge how to best add their vocals to the mix Smile

thanks for the nice word mate Smile
watersoul
Wow, excellent pics, nice one for sharing them here Smile
bjwok
thanks watersoul Smile
Ghost Rider103
bjwok wrote:
that's foldback. it's so they can hear a perfect mix down of all other members of the band and then more accurately judge how to best add their vocals to the mix Smile

thanks for the nice word mate Smile

Ah, thanks for that!

I figured it had something to do with the music being played. I actually thought that it was the actual song being played in the ear piece. I thought maybe they all had one in, and were just trying to match what the official version was so they could do it as perfect as possible.... so I was pretty close. Smile
bjwok
yeah pretty close in a sense Smile
bjwok
Poetikool Justice @ Elizapalooza ’11

Poetikool Justice pulled a large crowd for their set at Elizapalooza today - not an easy task as there really wasn't that many punters there to start with!

I didn't like the lighting (or lack of it) on this outdoor stage and so with bare flash at full power (so I could drop down the skies in the background), I shot these knowing I would apply some heavy post work to bring back the shadows.

bjwok
Spine @ the Ed Castle, January ’11

I have been meaning to catch a Spine show for almost 2 years, so when they popped up on the Rip It Up “Hot Six” this year (and the inaugural showcase event “Hot Pack”) I got my chance.

Brilliantly lit under the new stage lighting at the Ed, their set was touching, personal, moving and unique and I kicked myself for not catching a show sooner!

bjwok
Friends @ the Ed Castle, January ’11

Friends blew the room apart at the first ever Rip It Up "Hot Pack" event - a night showcasing 6 handpicked bands set to do big things in the upcoming year.

It's been a long while since Adelaide has seen a band lock into grunge infested grooves played with such intensity and they had my attention from the opening track right through to the last.

If you like your Barkmarket/Melvins/Mudhoney etc get to a gig. You won't be disappointed!

bjwok
The Screaming Jets @ the Gov, January ’11

As is tradition for The Screaming Jets, they played to a sold out audience at the Gov on Australia Day eve.

It’s quite a good gig to land, given the public holiday that follows the next day!

I had organised a press shoot with the guys a few days earlier and rocked up to the Gov with all my lighting and umbrellas.

I set everything up in the tiny little backstage room and did a test shot with the support act (Trash City) until I was happy with the lighting- two speedlites off camera, both triggered via pocketwizard FlexTT5′s, one through umbrella, the other bare behind for rim light.

Once I had the lighting I wanted, it was simply a case of having the band rock up, stand on the mark, make small adjustments and fire off the shots.

bjwok
The Salvadors @ Sand City, January ’11

The Salvadors opened proceedings at the first ever Sand City.

Despite the later than late starting time due to the Hottest 100 countdown running heavily over time and the reduced set times, their performance kept the party atmosphere in full swing.

bjwok
Poetikool Justice @ Sand City, January ’11

I placed two flashes right next to Mitch (drums) for this set by Poetikool Justice as I wanted to treat these photos differently to opening act The Salvadors and headliners The Beautiful Girls.

Not that the stage lighting wasn't good enough on it's own - it was, however I wanted to create my own atmosphere so this set would look distinctly different.

emanuel2
nice work! I really like the photos
bjwok
thanks mate Smile
bjwok
The Beautiful Girls @ Sand City, January ’11

Partying after the hottest 100 countdown on Australia Day finishes is normally a mixture of drunken friends punching on arguing over who took the number 1 spot and who should have taken it.

To see a mellow band such as The Beautiful Girls playing a longish set was quite the opposite to what I expected. And no fights either?

Aussie!! Aussie!! Aussie!!??

bjwok
The Salvadors @ Fowlers, January ’11

Opening for Paul Dempsey to a large crowd, The Salvadors performed a quick, tight set in what could be looked upon as a nice little warm-up for their slot at the Big Day Out the following week.

bjwok
Late last year I was on location with Parkway Drive shooting a spread for Alt Press Magazine.

The boys were in town for the No Sleep Til Festival so I met them at the Ent Centre and we headed out for an hour or so in the streets behind the Gov to get the goods.

Here's the spread:

The entire shoot plus shots that didn't make the cut over at my site: http://www.bjwok.com/

bjwok
The Vines @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’11

The Vines playing at 11.15am on a Big Day Out bill?

Not even 8 years ago they would’ve been close to headlining this event?

Either way, I thought there may have been the standard smashing of the drum kit, so I shot and waited.

bjwok
Dead Letter Circus @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’11

The two main stages at this years Big Day Out were lower than they have been in previous years.

Shooting wasn't limited to long and from the sides for once at these stages!!

It was low enough to shoot with fisheye at times during this set by Dead Letter Circus.

bjwok
The BottleRockets @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’11

The BottleRockets got the party into full swing mode over at the Lily World stage early in the day, not even the heat stopping the punters getting right into it!

bjwok
Dexter Jones @ Rocket, February ’11

With ex drummer Ryan Hemingway on the skins for a fill-in slot, Dexter Jones played Rocket Bar in no lighting as part of the Fuse Festival.

I shot with flash, there was no option not to!

Full set over at my site: http://www.bjwok.com/

bjwok
Tracer @ Enigma, February ’11

As part of the Fuse showcase, Tracer played a 20 minute set to a eager room of fans.

I converted these to black & white as the stage lighting was pretty dismal to start with.

The extra flash I brought helped a bunch!!

bjwok
Mayer Hawthorne @ Umbrella Revolution, February ’11

The best part about the Fringe and the Garden of Unearthly Delights is all the extra shows and additional stages that are built for them!

As photographers we are treated to different stage lighting and layouts – it’s great!!

Mayer Hawthorne could easily have played the Gov, but thankfully he chose to tour at Fringe time!

bjwok
Poetikool Justice @ The Spiegeltent, February ’11

Being bumped into the Spiegeltent due to heavy rain was a nice little surprise for Poetikool Justice (and their fans!) tonight.

I took this chance to shoot with fisheye as the venue is circular in structure and allowed nicely for right up close, intimate angles.

bjwok
The Salvadors @ Fringe Opening Night, February ’11

As part of the Fuse showcase and the opening of the Adelaide Fringe 2011 a free concert in Rymill Park is put on.

Despite the torrential rains that cancelled the actual parade earlier in the day, the gigs went ahead.

Here’s how The Salvadors filled the massive stage!

bjwok
The John Steel Singers @ Fringe Opening Night, February ’11

The free concert series at opening night for Fringe 2011 went ahead despite the torrential rains that earlier canceled the parade. The John Steel Singers coming on stage at the very rock n’ roll time of 25 past midnight!

It was raining, cold and muddy, yet there were heaps of people to see them play.

Was it because it was free or was it because it was The John Steel Singers?

bjwok
Ride Into The Sun @ Rocket, March ’11

Every so often you chance upon a band that blows you right away.

Tonight @ Rocket was one of those nights.

As I walked in Ride Into The Sun were halfway through their set and I literally stopped dead in my tracks and was captivated by their sound.

Not surprisingly the stage lighting was non-existant, so I rocked with flash and captured these shots during their last two songs.

bjwok
Pennywise @ Adelaide Soundwave, March ’11

Pennywise opened proceedings for me at this years Soundwave.

Love the lighting under this tent – the blue canvas looking beautiful lit from behind!!

bjwok
DevilDriver @ Adelaide Soundwave, March ’11

A whole sea of fans turned up early in the day to catch DevilDriver.

It’s a shame they played such an early time slot – their stage had minimal lighting and these shots are a tad on the flat side for me.

bjwok
Gang Of Four @ Adelaide Soundwave, March ’11

Perhaps the odd ball on the bill at this years Soundwave, not including Third Eye Blind (WTF?) Gang Of Four never-the-less played an amazing set with some of the greatest stage antics I’ve ever witnessed!

bjwok
Primus @ Adelaide Soundwave, March ’11

This whole set by Primus was drab.

Gone are the days when Les would be bouncing all over the stage, instead he planted himself in the one spot, only occasionally moving to do a slow circle.

There was no stage lighting (a problem with time slotting perhaps?) instead, two blow up astronaut props provided interesting options to photograph against, but did nothing else.

Still, it was amazing to hear, just nothing visible to get exited about.

The set was filled with early tracks, however I found myself drifting – surprising considering how interested and interesting this band was to me in the late 90′s.

bjwok
Slash @ Adelaide Soundwave, March ’11

Last year I shot GNR without Slash of course, and then at this years Soundwave I shot Slash who performed a bunch of GNR numbers.

Is this the closest I will get to shooting the real GNR?

bjwok
my pleasure mate Smile
Ghost Rider103
Excellent work as always man.

Keep it up.

As a side note, I've moved your thread into the Filmmaking and Graphics section. The Art gallery is more for "drawings, poems and other writings" this is a bit more suitable for photography. However I did leave a shadow topic for you.
bjwok
thanks ghostrider Smile
bjwok
Gyroscope @ Clipsal 500, March ’11

Earlier on the day of this show, I took delivery of a 1m canvas print I had made of Gyroscope.

It was on the floor in my house waiting to be hung and I was pretty happy on both the shot and how it printed as a canvas.

Later, before their set, I was chatting to Dan (vocals) from the band about how Gyroscope were the very first band I ever photographed and how they essentially kick-started my career as a rock n roll photographer and how I try to get to every show they play in Adelaide. I mentioned the canvas and that I thought it was a really good shot of the entire band and I’d like to offer it to them as a gift. He was pretty chuffed and thought instead of the whole band fighting over who should get it, it would be better off hung in their managements office and gave me the details of where I should send it. Sweet.

Then, during their set, as I was shooting the first three songs I got thinking that it would be better to hand deliver it to the band, so I stashed my camera gear and raced from the Clipsal site at Rymill Park direct to Henley Beach, grabbed it, and raced right back to Clipsal, catching the guys in their trailer after their show.

They really loved the shot and wanted to order their own individual copies! Rob (drums) took a pic with his iPhone of the band, the canvas and me which really stoked me, as these guys were where it all began for me! Stoked!!!

The only thing that sucks about this story: due to the drive back to Henley to grab the canvas I missed the rest of their set!! Bummer!

bjwok
Holly Throsby @ Jive, March ’11

Beautiful lighting and a beautiful performance go hand-in-hand with Holly Throsby.

bjwok
Deez Nuts @ Higher Ground, March ’11

Stage lighting was decent at for Deez Nuts tonight, however there were no photography rules given at Higher Ground so I chose to shoot with flash, knowing that these guys would be all over the stage pretty quickly!

bjwok
Regular John @ the Thebby, March ’11

Regular John copped sweet lighting as the opener for Motörhead.

Often the support act has better lighting than the main – this was definitely the case tonight!

bjwok
Motörhead @ the Thebby, March ’11

Cranking it up a notch (or many notches!) Motörhead played loud!

Lighting was not the greatest – Regular John as openers copped a better deal I thought!

bjwok
Gemini Downs @ Carclew’s Off The Couch, April ’11

Outdoor gigs like this one from Gemini Downs as part of Carclew’s Off The Couch are a great place to shoot with flash.

Generally there are no photography rules or requirements, allowing you to try very different settings.

For this set I shot at ISO 100, shutter varying from 1/125 to 1/200 and f/2.8

f/2.8?

Why would i shoot with such a narrow depth of field when I am using my own light you ask?

It’s the only way to bring punch back into the skies and still fill the foregrounds.

I expose for the skies, then drop that down a stop and fill the subject using the the flash.

bjwok
Gareth Liddiard @ Jive, April ’11

Gareth Liddiard is a funny man. In-bewtween songs there was much comedic interaction tonight, with tales and jokes that went as long as his songs!

Beautiful stage lighting once more at Jive.

It really is a pleasure to shoot there since the new additional lighting!

bjwok
Over-Reactor @ Enigma, April ’11

Over-Reactor killed it at Enigma on the weekend!!

Fearing the worst lighting possible, I rocked with 4 flashes off camera set up in various spots on the stage as the guys had given me full stage access.

Lighting this way at Enigma is the only way as their stage lighting is abysmal!

bjwok
Paul Kelly @ Space Theatre, April ’11

Playing a series of 4 shows over 4 nights, Paul Kelly played tracks from songs beginning with every letter of the alphabet for this tour.

I shot the second night as I wanted to hear How To Make Gravy live and I figured he would do A-E the first night and at least F-J the second.

He did.

Great lighting, although the Space Theatre has no stage and it’s all tiered seating in a “V” shape down to the performance area, so I was essentially “on stage” with Paul.

After the first song he jokingly directs into the microphone at me:

“Are you going to be here all night?”

I politely replied:

“No Mr Kelly, only for another song”

“Good”

Haha! I love Paul Kelly and How To Make Gravy is about as Aussie as it gets in my books!

Brilliant.

bjwok
British India @ the Gov, April ’11

Without spending anymore unnecessary time on the crowd and how some punters chose to release their appreciation for their favourite band, tonight at the Gov British India tore through an amazing set of songs with great lighting conditions.

The guys gave me free reign on the stage which was awesome, as I’ve shot them at the Gov a couple times before and really wanted this set to be visually different – notably by using a fisheye lens.

Before the show we took a couple of promo shots using the fisheye and a single speedlite behind the band (Haley’s a great light stand!) and another, diffused from the front, held high above by my left hand.

bjwok
Ben Ottewell @ the Wheaty, April ’11

No stranger to our shores, Ben Ottewell of Gomez performed a quickly sold out acoustic set at the Wheaty recently.

Lighting was to be expected – dull red gelled spotties and nothing else except for fairy lights hung on the ceiling.

I pulled a lot of the red out of these as well as increasing the shadows and overall exposure to bring some life back into them.

bjwok
Frank Turner @ Enigma, April ’11

Who’s up for a charismatic sing-a-long on a cold, wet Thursday night in Adelaide?

A LOT of people judging by the turnout at Frank Turner‘s solo set at Enigma.

The place was jam packed!!

Lighting was typical for Enigma – there wasn’t anything except for some red and green gelled spotties that never moved. I set a fast enough shutter to freeze Frank and then managed to recover some colour in post.

bjwok
Michael Franti And Spearhead @ the Thebby, April ’11

Beautiful lighting at the Thebby tonight for Michaal Franti And Spearhead.

I was also (strangely) the only photographer in the pit tonight?

Not sure where everyone else was?

Either way it made for easy work with angles and movement!

bjwok
The Thieves @ the Cranka, April ’11

My lenses completely fogged over every 30 seconds when shooting this gig.

Outside it was a cool 8 degrees, but inside the back room at the Cranka it was a seething, sweaty den packed to capacity on public holiday eve.

The Thieves, complete with a fill in drummer (can you spot him behind the kit?) stepped it up a notch for the masses and despite having to constantly wipe my lenses clean I managed to get these shots.

Three speedlites used here folks: 1 on camera set to 1/2, 1 beside the drummer on a light stand set to 1/16 and another set to 1/8 just out of sight on a lightstand wedged behind the speaker stack stage left.

All triggered by Pocketwizard MiniTT1/FlextTT5 combo.

bjwok
Tracer @ Blenheimfest, April ’11

Tracer headlined Blenheimfest 2011 – a cool, invite only camping festival held on a farm in the Clare Valley over Easter.

I set up flashes onstage to add to the already incredible stage lighting.

While there, I also drank liberally from their bottles of scotch and wine that were onstage.

They were playing and couldn’t do anything to stop me. Hahaha!

I also got up and sung a few verses of a Primus cover with them. And being in such a great position up on stage I couldn’t help myself and fired off some frames while being up there. See that clip on facebook over here: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150192693161073

bjwok
The Corridor Of Uncertainty @ the Excelsior, June ’11

While in Sydney recently I caught a show by my cousins outfit The Corridor Of Uncertainty at the Excelsior in Glebe.

There being no stage lighting at all was a blessing – I set up two speedlites, dialled their powers down to about 1/2 and created my own.

bjwok
Deez Nuts @ Adelaide Destroy Music, May ’11

Compared to the last few times I’ve shot Deez Nuts, this time the lighting was incredible!

A good mix of background lighting and spotties.

It was also different to have a pit to shoot from – something not often seen at a Deez Nuts show.

bjwok
I Killed The Prom Queen @ Adelaide Destroy Music, May ’11

A great return to the live circuit for hometown favourites I Killed The Prom Queen.

Having called it a day in early ’07 the hardcore scene hasn’t been the same since.

Even with the new lineup, the show was right on the money and the fans lapped it up right the way to the back of the Thebby floor.

I shot a bunch of these with fisheye as the band had foldback speaker stacks positioned on either side of the stage and I knew they would be up one them one-legged style enabling a sweet shot from below looking up.

bjwok
The Amity Affliction @ Adelaide Destroy Music, May ’11

The lighting was the worst of the night for headliners The Amity Affliction at the Adelaide leg of Destroy Music.

A shame too, as some great photo opps would otherwise have been available if there was some simple spotties on the band members.

bjwok
Tracer – on location, January ’11

With a pending release on Mascot's Cool Green Recordings, Adelaide's Tracer and I set off into the Aussie desert for a shoot that would later be used as artwork.

The idea was to get to Port Augusta and then keep heading north until we found red desert, as the label had briefed a visual that was clearly "Aussie".

We drove for hours in the height of +40 degree summer heat without seeing too much of anything and then out the left window, far on the horizon we spotted a suitable amount of red desert.

Pulling up, and grabbing our gear plus plenty of beers, we started the trudge through the desert.

It wasn't until we had walked about 20 minutes that we realised we were not much closer at all and the red desert on the horizon was a still a tiny spec - a mirage if you like.

Still, we continued on, drinking and marvelling at how damn hot it was.

Pretty soon we also noted how it would have been 100% better to not be trekking through the desert in thongs carrying instruments and loads of camera gear. Thistles pricked into our feet with every other step. Sweat was pouring. The beers were being drunk rapidly. Our clothing was being removed.

Perhaps it was the beers that helped the trek to go quicker, as not soon later we arrived at our red desert oasis.

And it was indeed a premium spot - untouched red earth with plenty of photo opps.

We polished off the last of the beers and began shooting.

A working title of "<strong>Spaces In Between</strong>" was in our minds.

Keeping the visual image distinctly Australian as per the label's request was also in our minds.

The trek back to the car was certainly not.

The rest of story and more pics is over at my site: http://www.bjwok.com/
bjwok
Helmet @ Fowlers, June ’11

Helmet cranked it a notch at their Fowlers show.

They played loud and fast, only pausing to mention how much they were loving Coopers Pale Ale.

Lighting was poor as is to be expected at Fowlers, hence my conversion in post.

bjwok
Josh Pyke @ the Grace Emily, June ’11

Josh Pyke played a quickly sold out acoustic set at the Grace Emily as a precursor to his full band tour later in the year.

I really had to desaturate the reds out of these – as the lighting was very low and very red!

bjwok
Rick Brewster’s Angels @ Norwood Town Hall, July ’11

A re-incarnation of The Angles – Rick Brewster’s Angles led at the helm by Dave Gleeson powered through a stack of classic Angles numbers to a capacity crowd at the Norwood Town Hall.

I’d never shot at this venue before and it was surprisingly well lit and with a nice sized stage.

bjwok
Art vs Science @ HQ, July ’11

Terribly back-lit (as seems to be always the case at HQ) Art vs Science moved around on the spot way too quickly for me to capture a clean shot.

All of these needed a fair amount of post to bring back any definition in the shadows.

Full set plus set list over at my site: http://www.bjwok.com/

bjwok
Tim Rogers @ the Gov, July ’11

When Tim Rogers is fired up you hope it’s not you that he takes aim at. The smart ass at tonights show who opened his mouth yelling requests before he had even played a single note copped a sledging well deserved. It’s funny when Tim Rogers heckles a punter – you get the feeling if it was in a bar fists may fly, up there on stage however, it’s his words that do the hurtin’.

Perfect stage light and a great mix of songs (including not on the set list Forget It Sister) made for a perfect show, the only thing ruining it for me was that across the city The Panics were also playing at the Uni Bar. Damn!

bjwok
what?

is that even in reference to anything at all man?
bjwok
Burn’Collect @ Enigma, September ’11

Burn’Collect booked me to shoot their last show before heading into the studio to lay down their album.

I set up a bunch of flashes on stage at Enigma as I knew the lighting would be terrible, if not none at all!

These are a small sample of the shots I supplied to the band.

bjwok
Tracer @ Jekyll & Hyde, Lünberg, Germany, October ’11

Lünberg’s Jekyll & Hyde, in a beautiful part of Germany was the venue for Tracer to launch their 2011 European Spaces In Between tour.

This place was possibly the loosest I’ve been in for a while. With no closing time, bar staff drinking as much (if not more!) than punters, no RSA of any kind, maggots passing out at the bar, an open fire place burning willy nilly with no guard, and apparent laws that let you smoke whatever you want right there in the venue, it reminded me of years gone by when the laws were a little more relaxed.

It seems this part of Germany as a whole is pretty chilled, as after the show we drank in that bar until 4am.

When asking what time they closed, the owner laughed:

“We close whenever we feel like, sometimes we stay open here for 3 days in a row”

RAD!!!

I lit these with three speedlites, two of them either side of Dre set to1/128th power and one on a shelf a little way back in the venue set to 1/64.

Ghost Rider103
Great work as always, keep it up.

I think you're skills are increasing every time you post. Very Happy
bjwok
thanks buddy Smile was getting the feeling no one was reading this thread judging by the lack of responses Sad
Ghost Rider103
No problem. Very Happy

I still come and check your photos out. I wonder if maybe the long load page is scaring people away though. I have a fairly fast Internet connection and the page still took a good minute to load all of the images.
bjwok
yeah i guess the images can scare everyone off? that's the deal with photography tho!
Ghost Rider103
Yeah I understand it. But a lot of people here are from other countries, some like NE, which in a lot of locations there the only Internet speed available is extremely low, making it nearly impossible to load this thread.
bjwok
i pity those on slow internet connections, however there is a warning at the start of this thread, so those users are aware the thread contains mainly images Smile
bjwok
Tracer @ Likedeeler, Hamburg, Germany, October ’11

Right in the meat of Hamburg’s red light district is The Reeperbahn – a section of city with many a story to tell.

Tonight, a club called Likedeeler played host to Tracer‘s second show for the tour.

I shot with only 2 speedlites, as the house lighting and the way it lit the ceiling was incredible! I don’t think I’ve seen a club with lighting like this anywhere else.

Again, we were treated to an incredible night on the town courtesy of the very generous owners of the club, something our collective heads did not thank us for the next morning!

bjwok
Tracer @ Musik und Kongreßhallen, Lübeck, Germany, October ’11

The inaugural Lübeck Rocknacht held at the Musik und Kongreßhallen in Lübeck saw Tracer play a storming set on a nicely sized stage.

Great stage lighting tonight, so I shot all these without any flash. Looking back, I think I should have rocked with some fill flash on Dre.

bjwok
Frenzal Rhomb @ the Gov, September ’11

Frenzal Rhomb were here for a show only a few months ago at the Adelaide Uni Bar, but that didn’t stop the fans coming out again, this show at the Gov selling out pretty quickly!

No barrier and punters crowd surfing made it a little tricky to shoot, but not impossible. A worse problem was the lighting being locked on red for the whole set! I lowered the reds and overall saturation of these in post to come up with this final look.

bjwok
The Vines @ the Gov, September ’11

Last time The Vines played a headline show in Adelaide not long after the show they cancelled all remaining dates on the tour and then disappeared for some time, only resurfacing to open (??) the Big Day Out in 2011.

The show tonight was sold out, and it was great to see the band are back on track once again. They played a set peppered with new tracks as well as the classics.

Ghost Rider103
Good work man you are still improving!

The last two batches of photos are awesome. So clear and the focal points and sharpness are all spot on!

Keep them coming. Very Happy
bjwok
Thanks very much buddy. Always learning more mate!
bjwok
The Living End @ the Thebby, September ’11

Great lighting for The Living End at the Thebby tonight!

They have certainly aged as people, but their set was timeless and the punters certainly loved it!!

Hello_World
Hey great pics!

Loved the Tracers album photos, that must have really taken some work LOL.

Love Living End woo hoo. Dropped in this thread to check them out. Yeah they are getting older but so are we. Wink

I saw Gunners on that tour! Yay!

Ever done The Cat Empire? They are so lively and beautiful, and there is so many of them, you could get some great shots I would imagine.
bjwok
Thanks for the nice words Smile

The hardest part about the Tracer album shots was getting to and from the location! lol!

Yeah, I've shot The Cat Empire a couple of times:

http://www.bjwok.com/gigs/the-cat-empire-womad-march-’09/
http://www.bjwok.com/gigs/the-cat-empire-the-crown-n-sceptre-april-’11/

and Felix once too:

http://www.bjwok.com/gigs/felix-riebl-the-promethean-august-’11/

Interesting you should mention the Cat Empire and Tracer, we just finished a European Tour and we were on the same circuit for a while as the Cat Empire boys. Both bands played the same night at the 02 Academy in Newcastle UK. Had a chat with Felix, he may be using my shots of his solo show sometime Smile Nice guys.
bjwok
Owl Eyes @ Jive, September ’11

Hadn’t heard or seen anything from Owl Eyes except for their press shot doing the rounds at the moment – a beautifully lit, natural light shot of frontwoman Brooke Addamo striking a pose more often seen in a fashion magazine.

Lighting was poor, yet consistent and I knew I would need to pull the shadows up on these in post.

rogue_skydragon
Wow. These photos are simply amazing. The compositions, the clarity in quality, and the lighting in every frame you show here are breath-taking.
bjwok
Thanks very much mate Smile
bjwok
Above & Beyond @ HQ, September ’11

Trance isn’t my thing specifically, and as a mate said to me before shooting this show from Above & Beyond:

“If you wanna see a bunch of euro dudes twiddling on macbooks just go to any ad design agency”

I went along with an open mind.

Despite the poor lighting (severely back lit as per usual at HQ) I managed to get a few decent shots by catching a blast of side lighting that wrapped around to provide a little fill.

bjwok
Architecture In Helsinki @ Bird In Hand Winery, September ’11

A rather unusual venue for a gig, Bird In Hand Winery in the Adelaide Hills – a beautiful cellar door winery packed to rafters with all manner of cool cats.

The wine was flowing, the stage was beautifully lit and Architecture In Helsinki played a rather longish set as there were no support acts!

Bonus!

bjwok
Steering By Stars @ the Metro, September ’11

Wasn’t sure I would make it in time to catch this set from Steering By Stars as they opened for Jack Ladder, but thankfully shows at the Metro start late!

Sweet!

tingkagol
The only band I recognize here is Architecture in Helsinki.

I think you've finally found your niche, dude. From photographing simple party-goers to rock bands (the big leagues). It's always a pleasure to be able to photograph all those beautiful lights on the stage.
bjwok
You've never heard of Guns N' Roses?
bjwok
Jack Ladder & The Dreamlanders @ the Metro, September ’11

It’s very difficult to shoot at The Metro.

There are only three lights, no discernible stage except a corner of the room and a lot of punters crammed in!

How Jack Ladder & The Dreamlanders fit into that room or on that “stage” is a mystery in itself!

Their bass player played from within the front row, their guitarist had more pedals than I’ve seen at one time in a cash convertors and Jack Ladder himself just looked too big for the room!

tingkagol
bjwok wrote:
You've never heard of Guns N' Roses?

I didn't get that far back.
bjwok
hmmm, most people start at the start, not the end Smile
bjwok
The Levitators @ Jive, September ’11

The Levitators go that one extra step with their live show, bringing their own lighting.

This should bring a smile to any photographers face as it means different opportunities to get a shot that is going to look visibly different from any others taken previously at the same venue!

deanhills
These are fantastic photos bjwok. Well done! The previous ones were also great, but these are even greater, so you must be perfecting the art! Practice is making perfect?
Very Happy
bjwok
thanks mate
bjwok
Birds Of Tokyo @ HQ, September ’11

A great (if not short) set from Birds Of Tokyo tonight.

An extra spot light from the front of the stage pointing up really helped create some cool shadows on Ian Kenny, and for once the heavy use of backlighting at HQ was off set by some cool front lighting too!

bjwok
Published - The Damned Humans 'The Damned Humans'

Late last year I was on location in Sydney with The Damned Humans shooting the artwork for their debut album The Damned Humans.

The album has now been released, you can purchase it here.

My photography features on two pages of the booklet.

Here's the front cover (not my photography):

Here's the second page of the booklet:

And a double spread at the back of the booklet:

bjwok
Josh Pyke @ the Gov, September ’11

Returning to Adelaide this time with his full band and to a larger venue, Josh Pyke played a bunch of new numbers plus the favourites.

Lighting was tricky, mostly being back-lit.

It was hard, but not impossible to get a decent shot of him.

bjwok
Every Time I Die @ Fowlers, October ’11

Sketchy lighting for this show from Every Time I Die.

Last time they toured they played at the Gov and had great lighting, this time the lights sucked and photographing their show was pretty hard.

deanhills
bjwok wrote:
Birds Of Tokyo @ HQ, September ’11
An extra spot light from the front of the stage pointing up really helped create some cool shadows on Ian Kenny, and for once the heavy use of backlighting at HQ was off set by some cool front lighting too!
You're right. The lighting is cool. Great photos!

bjwok wrote:
Published - The Damned Humans 'The Damned Humans'

Here's the second page of the booklet:
Great photos. Is this one that you took? Smile

bjwok wrote:
Every Time I Die @ Fowlers, October ’11
More great photos. My favourites are 1 and 3.
bjwok
thanks buddy.

yep both those damned humans shots are ones i took.

cheers man Smile[/quote]
bjwok
Young Guns @ Adelaide Soundwave Counter Revolution, October ’11

The cancelled Soundwave Revolution left a bunch of sideshows in the form of The Soundwave Counter Revolution.

Confused?

Yep, so were a lot of people considering the turnout at Fowlers for these bands.

Young Guns were the first band I caught on the day and despite a small crowd and a short set they smashed it out.

bjwok
All Time Low @ Adelaide Soundwave Counter Revolution, October ’11

Didn’t really dig All Time Low so much, they appeared to rely too much on gimmicks such as a “nice boobs” sign on the back of a guitar flashed to the crowd at random all too much.

The outdoor stage was lit nicely tho, so it was great to shoot!

deanhills
bjwok wrote:
Young Guns @ Adelaide Soundwave Counter Revolution, October ’11
Impressive photos. The vocalist looks like an acrobat .... superfit. Some REALLY nice action shots. Very Happy

bjwok wrote:
All Time Low @ Adelaide Soundwave Counter Revolution, October ’11

Didn’t really dig All Time Low so much, they appeared to rely too much on gimmicks such as a “nice boobs” sign on the back of a guitar flashed to the crowd at random all too much.
The photos are great, but compared with the other photos I can understand that you did not dig them. They are not your best. I liked the last aerial photo however. Interesting composition. Very Happy
bjwok
Thanks mate.

I actually didn't really dig the music more than the photos, but I do love that last one too Smile
deanhills
bjwok wrote:
Thanks mate.

I actually didn't really dig the music more than the photos, but I do love that last one too Smile
OK. Got it. Embarassed

Am curious. Are you doing these for a living or a hobby?
bjwok
For a living.
bjwok
D.R.U.G.S. @ Adelaide Soundwave Counter Revolution, October ’11

Lighting inside Fowlers for the Soundwave Counter Revolution was typical Fowlers lighting – the only difference was the stage barrier which made things a lot easier for shooting bands like D.R.U.G.S.

deanhills
bjwok wrote:
D.R.U.G.S. @ Adelaide Soundwave Counter Revolution, October ’11
They are all great but Photo 3 is my favourite. Great shot! Very Happy
bjwok
thanks man Smile
bjwok
Panic! At The Disco @ Adelaide Soundwave Counter Revolution, October ’11

Lighting for Panic! At The Disco was bang on the money, however for me their set lacked in any spontaneity.

All their moves, the banter and even their stage clothes appeared to be a well worn routine.

I forgot about listening to them and concentrated on the photography.

bjwok
The Delta Saints @ Rockpalast (Bonn, Germany) October ’11

Last year while on tour in Europe with Tracer we met 5 cool guys from Nashville, USA called The Delta Saints.

They play an infectious mix of southern blues and roots, with a totally happy stage presence.

Opening for Tracer at the Rockpalast gig in Bonn, Germany I was completely blown away within the first song.

I wasn’t intending on photographing their set, but within that first song I was totally hooked and raced backstage to grab my gear and shot these photos.

The next morning we were all in the same IBIS hotel foyer and The Delta Saints were set to drive to Belgium for the last show on their tour scheduled for that night.

We had a day off and the Delta boys had invited us to their show, so we drove to Belgium while listening to their album on repeat.

It was a killer show, in a weird-ass venue that you needed a map and compass to find – it was hidden behind a sports hall, nestled between a massive vacant building and a sports field where teams were playing soccer despite it being about minus 3 degrees, pitch dark and raining!!! (?!)

Very odd, but the show was amazing!

We got pretty drunk on Belgian beer and by the end of the second set we had geed their harmonica player to smash his instrument at the end of their show – it was the end of their tour after all!

And he did it!

Haha!!

It was awesome to see someone smash a harmonica and not a guitar! He turned around and faced the amp, then spun back around, jumped into the air and full pelted it at the ground, it bounced pretty high and a piece flew off somewhere, never to be seen again.

Classic ending!!

bjwok
Gotye @ Melkweg (Amsterdam, Netherlands) October ’11

Last year while on tour in Europe with Tracer I was busy editing photos on the tour bus which was parked outside the Melkweg in Amsterdam.

We had a few hours before load in and they rest of the bus was still sleeping from the show the night before, but I could hear Aussie voices coming from outside. I stuck my head out the bus and looked towards the venue where two guys were chatting with definite Aussie accents. I went up and said G’day.

Turns out it was Gotye.

Stoked!

They were set to play the Melkweg that night also! There were two rooms in this venue, Gotye had sold out the larger one.

A month earlier I was bummed about missing Gotye’s show in Adelaide as I had just left for Europe with the Tracer tour, yet here we all were in the same venue! Super sweet!

I had shot Gotye at St Jerome’s Laneway Festival earlier in the year and showed the guys my shots. They loved them and asked me to shoot their show that night. Cools!

The only catch was that they had the exact same stage time as Tracer, so it was going to be difficult to run from one room to the other and do both shows justice.

I decided to get in for Gotye and shoot one song, then leg it to the other room for Tracer’s set, hoping one of the two wouldn’t be starting right on 8pm.

It turned out Gotye came on 5 minutes late, so I literally shot for about 30 seconds and then had to bail to make Tracer’s set. Damn!

These were the shots I got, all the same angle and nothing special.

Earlier that day I had an Aussie music moment that stirred me to tears:

I was sitting on a toilet in the venue forcing out a poop when through a wall of closed doors I could faintly hear Gotye sound checking. He had a guest vocalist and while I can’t be sure if it was Kimbra or not, she was doing a fine job delivering the female parts to “Somebody That I Used To Know“.

The sound was very faint and I wanted to hear it better so I wedged open my cubicle door with my foot and sat there listening. There was no one else in the bathroom as the venue was not open for another 5 hours. Despite the various farts and associated plop noises that go with pooing, I actually felt a twang of homesickness creeping up. It was when Gotye himself hit the hight notes of the chorus that the tears started to flow.

Being away from Australia for 2 months in foreign countries and having fellow Australian’s Gotye performing right there in the same venue as Tracer gave me an overwhelming sense of Aussie pride. Tonight, Amsterdam (whether they knew it or not) was getting a double slice of Aussie greatness in the same venue at the exact same time!

I was having a teary eyed moment, sitting with my pants around my ankles, foot outstretched wedged in that door, pooping viciously and it was then that I remembered just how rad Australia is and how well Australian music goes down with the rest of the world.

There's the set list over at my site: http://www.bjwok.com/

deanhills
Laughing That has to be the ultimate in cleansing the body. Being put right in music nirvana with your favourite band!
bjwok
Yeah, it was pretty sweet Smile
bjwok
Monster Magnet @ Huxleys (Berlin, Germany) November ’11

After the final show on the Tracer European tour we had three days off in Berlin, Germany.

The first night saw us drinking an obscene amount of alcohol in a rad little place called The Franken Bar.

Being the end of the tour, things got loose rather quickly – there may have been various stages of nudity in some parts. I do recall getting my shirt off to try on a Franken Bar staff shirt at one point.

Somewhere in the early hours I was chatting (read: drunkenly slurring) to the table of girls next to ours. They were speaking English so at least we had that connection.

Soon I got chatting to one of the guys on the table, and he tells me he’s American. Cools.

He asked what we were doing there in Berlin and I told him about Tracer and how the tour was over and we were on a night out to celebrate.

He mentioned he played in a band and they also had an off day today and maybe we should all come to their show the next night?

Cools. I’m all about new music.

I get him to write the name of the band and the venue on a coaster.

He writes: “Monster Magnet – Huxleys”

Well blow me down, I had just drunkenly stumbled upon Phil Caivano (rhythm guitar) of Monster Magnet!

Waisting no time I introduced the Tracer boys and he puts all of us on the door for their show the next night with complimentary after party passes.

I mentioned that I was a photographer and how bummed I was that Monster Magnet had recently cancelled their “Dopes To Infinity” tour of Australia as I was meant to be shooting it.

He then offered me a photo pass as they were doing the exact same tour right there in Germany! Super sweet!

The next night we caught their show, I shot these photos and we went backstage and had a few beers with the band, making sure they left with a copy of “Spaces In Between”.

Monster Magnet were amazing, the show was great!!! Every track from “Dopes…” was played plus a bunch of other crowd favourites including “Space Lord” which certainly brought the largest crowd response.

Germany is a rad place, Berlin is an incredible city and this is only one story from a bunch that happened over those three nights.

bjwok
Funkoars @ the Thebby, November ’11

I was hideously jetlagged while shooting this Funkoars show – I’d only just got off the plane ride from hell from Zurich earlier in the day and was coming down with a cold.

Regardless, the show was amazing to shoot! Lighting was up there with the best I’ve seen at the Thebby and the Oars giving me AAA to shoot from anywhere opened up a lot more options.

There were actually a bunch of photogs all with AAA passes, which might seem like a good thing (certainly for the photogs!) however from my experiences in Europe on the road the last two months having that amount of extra people on stage throughout an entire show can sometimes be negatively distracting for the punters. A single photog assigned AAA keeping in the shadows where possible is less distracting and should result in a good selection of photos.

I chose to shoot from the pit for the majority of this show to avoid adding myself to the list, only heading onto the stage in between songs when the lights were down and staying down.

bjwok
Paper Arms @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

Adelaide’s Paper Arms smashed out their set on the local produce stage at this years Big Day Out.

Again, the lighting on this stage was perfect! The atrium providing a lowered exposure effect on the skies and enough spotties providing the fill.

Full set over at my site:

http://www.bjwok.com/

bjwok
Regurgitator @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

Wearing women’s wigs backwards might have confused some unknowing punters just exactly who these guys were, but for the fans, Regurgitator played a fast set of favourites and new tracks.

The wigs made shooting them different this time, as any eye contact wasn’t possible, so I focused on posing more than ever before.

Full set plus set list over at my site:

bjwok
Hilltop Hoods @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

Hilltop Hoods were not originally included on the line-up for the Adelaide or Perth leg of Big Day Out 2012.

Odd?

Yep!

It was a good thing that was rectified tho, as the hometown favourites drew the biggest crowd of the day to the main stage at it wasn’t even 5pm!

bjwok
Boy & Bear @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

All the hype surrounding Boy & Bear at the moment wasn’t justified by their set at the Big Day Out this year.

The songs I saw were tedious at best, musically they were dull and their stage presence was non-existent.

Am I missing something with these guys?

bjwok
Dangerous! @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

Doing their best to inspire and motivate a dull crowd Dangerous! struggled to hit their mark on the local produce stage.

Perhaps they are more suited to a smaller indoors stage where the punters are packed in tighter?

bjwok
The Jezables @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

Taking the extra effort to bring a massive red curtain for the backdrop of their stage, The Jezabels win best prize for stage design at this years Big Day Out!

Photographing them against the red curtain really helped give my photos a pop that otherwise in the early afternoon sun would have been missing.

I also made sure to compose my shots so the background would appear to be endless on both sides of the stage when in actual fact it wasn’t.

Full set, plus set list over at my site:

bjwok
The Living End @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

Couldn’t actually shoot their set as it clashed with one of the skate demos that I wanted to shoot, so instead I got this promo shot of The Living End.

A single speedlite 580EXII, diffused with soft diffuser, off camera to left triggered via OCC.

There's no more over at my site:

bjwok
Kasabian @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

Only managed to get into the pit for the last of three songs for Kasabian as I was busy with The Living End when they took to the stage.

No bother, the main stage at BDO is difficult to shoot at anyway and I was happy with these shots despite the limited time I had to get them.

deanhills
They're all awesome photos bj. Great to get natural light like that too. Smile
bjwok
thanks Dean Smile

yeah mid afternoon sun right on the stage, was kinda nice!
bjwok
Funkoars Press Release

A shot I took of The Funkoars at The Thebby has recently been picked up and used on a press release.

Here’s the set where the original photo was snapped: http://www.bjwok.com/gigs/funkoars-the-thebby-november-’11/

And here’s the press release:

bjwok
The Bronx @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

Having already wowed audiences with their other incarnation “Mariachi El Bronx”, the same bunch of guys took to the skate stage, this time sans the Mexican outfits and traditional instruments and as The Bronx, completely smashed the **** out of a short, sharp set.

Full set, plus set list over at my site:

bjwok
Girl Talk @ Adelaide Big Day Out ’12

There was a lot happening up on stage for Girl Talk.

This DJ really got the party started with a whole slew of tricks aside from mashing together commercial pop songs in a seamless stream: toilet paper guns, stage dancers and a serious amount of strobes were his main artillery.

The kids loved it.

deanhills
The top photo is very interesting. Lighting is just right! Smile
bjwok
Thanks Dean Smile got lucky with that lighting! It didn't stay that good for too very long!
bjwok
Tracer @ Clipsal 500, March ’12

Despite the early time slot, this has to be the very best Tracer show I’ve seen.

The energy on stage and each members performance was up several notches from previous shows.

If this is any indicator, the upcoming European tour is gonna be an absolute cracker!!

busaboss
Hey that is a whole bunch of very awesome photos! I really loved it! I wish I could produce something like this in the future. Your camera seems to be on the top caliber and with the combination of your talent, there is no greater shot than this. You did a very very great job. Keep sharing. You rock! Cool
bjwok
thanks mate Smile appreciate the kind words!
bjwok
Tracer European Summer Tour 2012 - 1st diary entry

I'm currently on tour in Europe with Tracer.

I'll post snippets from the road here, however for the full tour diary + dates, check my website: http://www.bjwok.com/

We arrived in Germany at Frankfurt airport after +30 hours flying time, tired, hungover and full of lousy plane food, but stoked to be here!

First stop: a hotel in Köln for catch-up sleep, before driving to the Netherlands for a visit to the record label.

Cool Green Recordings is situated in Berkel, Rodenrijs, just outside Rotterdam.

We had a beautiful lunch with Wouter (Promotions) of steak and salad before Mike opened his guitars to check how they travelled.

Not so well.

I got my hands on the all important photo pass lanyards - who needs guitars when you have this many lanyards! Hahaha!

Meanwhile, outside the other guitars were checked - all ok! Phew!!

bjwok
Before the tour kicks off officially tomorrow, a full day of press in London was on the schedule.

Beginning with the mighty Planet Rock, who have previously A-listed both Too Much and Devil Ride, Dre and Mike did a live-to-air interview recalling tales from previous tours as well as dropping exclusive news of further UK dates for September, including a much in-demand Scottish show!

From there it was onto a whole bunch of face-to-face and phone interviews in the Saint Georges Hotel - a hidden diamond-in-the-rough, right in the heart of London.

First up was a face-to-face on the 15th floor of the hotel with Anthony May from Planet Mosh.

Then Mike headed down to the lobby for a phone interview with Rick Palin from Firebrand Radio.

Mark Taylor from Metal Talk came up to the 15th floor for a face-to-face plus a video interview. Nice guy too!

Mark asked for a CD to be signed - no probs!

Another phone interview for Mike, this one with Tony Conley from Guitar Daily Blogspot.

While Leigh tried in vain to get reception for another radio station, but had to head outside in the cold and wind to get a signal (even on the 15th floor?!)

With press handled, the road to the first show is clear and in sight!.
watchftp
Those are some of the spectacular photo I have seen in long time.
bjwok
thanks mate
bjwok
Tracer @ 02 Academy, London

First show of the tour and London, you went off!!

Massive thanks to everyone that came out!

bjwok
Tracer @ The Tunnels, Bristol

It was raining and cold in Bristol, like it was in London the day before, but that didn’t stop the fans coming out to The Tunnels for the 2nd show of the tour.

bjwok
Tracer @ Academy 3, Manchester

More rain. Lot’s more rain in fact!

Manchester was wet and cold, yet Academy 3 was hot and packed full.

Tracer killed it!!

bjwok
Tracer @ Tracer @ The Duchess, York

York is the first place I’ve been to in the UK that I can honestly say I could live in. The city is super beautiful, full of old buildings and churches with some of the most amazing castles I’ve seen outside Germany.

In fact, the entire drive to the venue we drove alongside a beautiful castle wall on top of a grass hill – it seemed to stretch for 5km or more! There was a moat and canals, large open spaces and fields and (unbelievably) blue skies and sunlight!!

It’s amazing how open space and sunshine can change things.

Walking around this city I was super pumped for tonights show!

The venue was tightly packed, and despite building acoustics reminiscent of Fowlers, two broken strings and poor stage lighting, the show was a complete cracker.

bjwok
Tracer @ Tracer @ The Plug, Sheffield

Last show for the UK run of the tour was at The Plug in Sheffield.

All tickets were sold out well in advance and come show time the place was packed!!

After the show we were invited to party at the Nelson – a great rock bar that spins Tracer tracks regularly. The owner gave us open house access to the bar to not only drink what we wanted, but to also pour our own! Mike was given a Jack’s that contained 6 shots, I tasted a cider that was 7.5% alcohol and Lauchie puked his guts up.

What a great way to end the UK shows!

bjwok
Tracer @ Divan Du Monde, Paris

Opening for Headcharger in Paris, this was the first of the support slots for this tour and the show was amazing!

Cool crowd, great band and a cool venue.

bjwok
Tracer @ L’Oasis, Le Mans

2nd support slot on the tour, this time Tracer opened for France’s almighty Gojira.

On paper it may have been an odd pairing, yet by the time they hit last track Walk Alone, Tracer had easily won a majority of the crowd.

bjwok
Tracer @ La Nef, Angoulême

Arguably the best venues/catering are in France, La Nef in Angoulême was right up there with the best we’ve had on this tour.

A full hot and cold lunch cooked by chefs on the premises upon arrival which included chick pea salad, grilled pork and a weird “cafe” mousse type desert was followed only a few hours later with a dinner spread including oven baked salmon, prawns, beef, cheese & macaroni and of course a fine selection of French wine. Amazing!

We gorged like it was the last meal on the planet.

Not long after the two bathrooms copped a flogging.

Similarly to the catering, this venue was equally as amazing!

bjwok
Tracer @ Le Cargö, Caen

Arguably the best venues/catering are in France, La Nef in Angoulême was right up there with the best The second support slot for Gojira was in Caen, FR in a place called Le Cargö.

Large stage, massive sound (somehow still under the French dB limit) a great lighting rig and a room packed full of fans set the scene for a rad night. Super rad French catering and hospitality was the icing on the cake.

The guys from Headcharger also came to the show tonight which was super cools and after the show it was great to have the three bands, Tracer, Headcharger and Gojira all in the same room, so I lined up some shots (of the photo kind). It was a really great ending to a series of rad shows with some seriously talented musicians and downright night people.

Not long after, we were lining up shots (of the other kind) in a French bar Headcharger took us to. I do believe some naked bar dancing may have occurred at some point. It’s probably for the best my camera was packed in the van. Headcharger, you guys are awesome!

bjwok
Tracer – Off Day in Paris

Had an off day in Paris, so we did the touristy thing and hit the Eiffel Tower.

For the band and myself it was a return visit, yet for Laptop (sound) & Leigh (merch) it was their first.

Laptop strolled off to “find an angle that didn’t make the tower look incredible” (his words) while the guys fulfilled thier Aussie dream and kicked a footy on some very scenic grass.

I handed my camera to Leigh (merch) while I went to line up for 30 min at the only public toilet (wtf?) in the place and of course I came back to over 4gb of happy snaps taken in my abscence.

The guys know how much I loathe music photographers who crop instruments in their shots and how important solid composition is to me, so all these shots were intently poorly composed, out of focus, some questionable subject matter and even upside down.

The selection here are not even 1/4 of the entire set. Hahaha!

I laughed.

The laughter soon died rather rapidly as we sat bumper-to-bumper for over an hour in heinous Pais traffic trying to get out of the city. Seriously, the worst grid lock I’ve been in, and I’ve been to KL city!

bjwok
Tracer – Off Day in Switzerland

A few days off at the Farm in Wolfwil, Switzerland before setting off on a run of festivals and headline shows saw the guys set up in the basement to jam on new tracks.

I took a forest walk, drank alpine water from streams, saw some bizarre new animals, including bumblebees, local wasps (they’re not called European Wasps here!) weird rat-looking squirrels, unidentifiable furry, thin brown rats (?) that squawked at me from under a pile of wood, a big-ass brown owl and an albino snail. Sadly (or thankfully?) I didn’t see the wild panther that has been on the loose in Wolfwil recently. Seriously. Google that shit.

bjwok
Tracer @ Maiwoche Festival, Osnabrück

Absolutely rocking crowd at the Maiwoche Festival in Osnabrück!

We were running late as a 7 hour drive from Switzerland turning into a 9 hour drive due to road works on the autobahn, so upon arrival at Jurassic Park (don’t ask) we did the ultimate quickest load in and soundchecked and then BAM stage time.

bjwok
Tracer @ MC Zaida 30th Anniversary, Schmalfeld

Played a private party in Schmalfeld the other night for the legendary Zaida Motorcycle Club.

It was their 30th Anniversary and we were there to rock it until whenever we felt like stopping.

Josh Deicke was our gracious host and he looked after us the entire time we were there, so we played a Hendirx medley that went for 20 minutes for him. Thanks Josh! You rock mate!

We had unlimited Jacks all night and a killer breakfast spread the next morning, all thanks to him. Cheers mate, we REALLY needed that breakfast!

Big thanks to Tina and Elvis for sorting us with sleeping arrangements. It was so great to hang with you all again!!

bjwok
Tracer – Off Day in Berlin

Spent a few days in Berlin recording with Ole of Royal Republic tour manager/sound tech fame.

The studio was owned by a mate of Ole’s, Thies Neu and was actually inside an old brewery, hence then name Tonbrauerei being quite appropriate.

It was really great to see Ole again!

I draw the majority of my tour managing skills from him, having watched closely and learnt while on the Royal Republic/Tracer tour last year. His tactile approach with venue staff, professionalism when demanding of promoters and general mannerisms are desirable and if I could be even 1/2 of what he is to the Royal for Tracer I would be stoked.

Also in Berlin recording at another studio (the infamous Hansa Studios none the less!) was Adam Grahn of the Royal Republic. He invited us into the studio to say g’day and get a sneaky listen at a new song.

The studio was very impressive. It had lots of musical recording devices that made the boys penis’s collectively get hard. I appreciated the musical gear, but to a slightly level of stiffness.

Back at Tonbrauerei studios, despite being closed to the public, the brewery within the old building, Rollberger had been opened especially by owner Wilko to drink his own brew with mates while watching a important football game on projector screen. Wilko is a rad guy who loves his rock. He had previously popped into the studio with two massive pitchers of his brew for us to sample.

He invited us to drink at his bar with his mates while the game was on. Free, rad boutique beer, self poured from the tap? Well hello!! We dug in for some of the tastiest Berlin beer ever. A tour of the brewery to see where Wilko does his magic capped off a already sweet day!

deanhills
bjwok wrote:
Tracer – Off Day in Switzerland

A few days off at the Farm in Wolfwil, Switzerland before setting off on a run of festivals and headline shows saw the guys set up in the basement to jam on new tracks.

I took a forest walk, drank alpine water from streams, saw some bizarre new animals, including bumblebees, local wasps (they’re not called European Wasps here!) weird rat-looking squirrels, unidentifiable furry, thin brown rats (?) that squawked at me from under a pile of wood, a big-ass brown owl and an albino snail. Sadly (or thankfully?) I didn’t see the wild panther that has been on the loose in Wolfwil recently. Seriously. Google that shit.
All of your photos are great as per usual, but I particularly enjoyed the ones you took on the farm.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1094482.html#1094482

I particularly enjoyed the photos using the house ruins with chipped walls as a background.

I also enjoy your black and white studies in the other posts. Thanks for posting all of these for us to enjoy. Great work!

Very Happy
bjwok
Thanks very much mate Smile

That old house is the barn we stay in when here in Switzerland. Dre's (drums) family is Swiss Smile
bjwok
Tracer @ Little Devil, Tilburg

What an awesome reception for our first show back in the Netherlands!

The Schwenken Community, you folks are amazingly schwenk!

Thank you so much for all the effort and support – we LOVED the flag!!!

bjwok
Tracer @ Afterdauwpop Festival, Posterenk

The first of two shows on the same day, at 3pm we played the Afterdauwpop Festival in Posterenk.

The sun was out while we played and it was awesome to see our fellow mates from the Schwenken community raising the flag once again for us!

Thanks to everyone who came out to see us!

bjwok
Tracer @ Luxor Live, Arnhem

The second of two shows in one day – this one was at the super cool Luxor Live in Arnhem.

Once again we ate some of the greatest catering we’ve seen. The lasagne was incredible and then the strawberry desert made with balsamic vinegar was out of this world.

The show was amazing! Our energy was pumped and despite the room being small, it was packed.

Great to see the Schwenken community in full force at this show again. The flag was flown high again. Love you folks.

And the after party with you all was a super great ending to a rad night!

bjwok
Tracer @ Off Day in Arnhem

The Schwenken Community had made us a Schwenken Aussie flag, so on our off day in Arnhem we took it to the Burgers Zoo (which is a zoo filled with animals, not Burgers as the name would have you believe).

What a rad day! Beers, wine, animals and plenty of Schwenk!

Awesome!

bjwok
Tracer @ Egopop Festival, Egchel

Thanks to everyone who came to see us at the Egopop Festival in Egchel the other day.

What a rad festival!!

bjwok
Tracer @ La Luciole, Alençon

Our set at La Luciole in Alençon was nestled between heats of an air guitar competition!

One of the contestants even competed playing air guitar to Too Much! Hahah!

Ankhanu
Playing a Fender Toronado... that's pretty rare. And Gretsch White Falcon waiting in the wings!

Nice Smile
bjwok
yeah man, he has a bunch of different guitars he uses for different sounds, here's an interview: http://www.tracer-band.com/?p=943
bjwok
Tracer @ Werk 2, Leipzig

First of our support slots with Black Label Society.

What a great band! Zakk Wylde came to our dressing room to personally meet us. Top guy!

By the end of the set we had won a bunch of new fans from the packed Werk 2 in Leipzig.

deanhills
One can just about feel the enjoyment of the band in those photos. Looked as though they had a whale of a time. Great quality photos as well. Cool
bjwok
Thanks very much mate Smile The band is having a GREAT time over here! In Spain now!! Lovin it!!
bjwok
Tracer @ Hyde Park, Osnabrück

Another rad crowd for our second show with Black Label Society.

Germany, you rock!!!

bjwok
Tracer @ Taberna Belfast, Santa Maria Del Paramo

First show in Spain and what a rad venue filled with rad people!!

Spain has siesta’s where every shop closes for lunch and reopen at 5pm and dinners are eaten late – after 10pm generally.

We arrived in Santa Maria Del Paramo and the venue was closed for their siesta, so we sat in the street and scoped free WiFi while up the street a fist fight was raging. Some dude copped a blow to the head, blood stained the street and we updated our statuses.

After the gig we had dinner – at 1am! That’s normal for Spain. The venue owner (and promoter) took us back to her house, fed us and filled us with alcohol and we then had a YouTube off until the sun came up at 5am.

bjwok
Tracer @ Estudio 27, Burgos

Our second ever show in Spain!

The vibe in Burgos was super chilled, so we treated a dedicated group of fans to a set filled with songs not often in our live set.

Ended up playing for almost 2 hours!

Great night! Thanks to all who came out to see us.

andro_king
Awesome pictures..!! what camera do you use..?
bjwok
Thanks Andro,

I use Canon, all my gear is listed over at my site: http://www.bjwok.com/discussion/gig-gear-list/

cheers!

Benon
bjwok
Tracer @ La Ley Seca, Zaragoza

Played a rad club in Zaragoza – the La Ley Seca.

Awesome hospitality from the owner Patxi, some amazing Spanish food and a rocking show! Great night!!

Thanks to everyone who came down to see us.

bjwok
Tracer @ Hard Club, Porto

Our third support slop with Black Label Society, this time we were in the amazing city of Porto, Portugal.

The place was packed! A massive thank you to everyone who came early to catch our set, we had a really great show playing for you!

Porto, we will be back!

bjwok
Tracer @ Ego Live, Madrid

Last of the Spanish dates for this tour, Madrid we thank you!!

Extra thanks to the staff and crew at Ego Live who made our stay as perfect as possible.

bjwok
Tracer @ 013, Tilburg

What a rad show with Black Label Society in Tilburg, Netherlands! The Dutch crowd was right behind us for the whole show.

Before the show we shot a few photos with Black Label Society – these guys are super cool, all-round great guys. Not only did Zakk tell a bunch of cool stories from his many years on the road, but he also gave Mike a box of his signature strings! Rad!!!

bjwok
Tracer @ Garage, Saarbrücken

The last of 5 shows opening for Black Label Society.

We were super pumped right from the beginning and BLS gave us a longer set which meant we could throw in a few extra songs too!

German crowds are the greatest, Saarbrücken, you were no exception!

bjwok
Tracer @ Graspop Metal Meeting, Dessel

What a blast the almighty Graspop festival was!!

Opening the main stage in front of acts such as Black Label Society, Slash, Slayer and Ozzy Osbourne Tracer played to an enthusiastic crowd of about 2000 people.

The rest of the day was a haze of photographing one amazing band after the other.

I’d already established a connection with the Black Label Society crew on earlier shows and so I also shot their show today, but this time from stage. Those photos will be up after the Tracer tour wraps.

Thanks to Tjerk’s in-laws (Tracer booking agent) for putting us up in Belgium for two nights and also for the awesome Aussie welcome!!

bjwok
Tracer – Off Day in Neuhausen Ob Eck

Had an off day between Belgium and Switzerland.

The Royal Republic were playing the Southside Festival in Neuhausen Ob Eck, Germany and Ole had invited us as guests to catch them.

We were pushing time but arrived to catch the last 4 songs of their set which looked like it was going down a treat with the massive crowd! Nice work guys!

Thanks again to Ole for hooking us up with VIP tickets, what a rad way to spend an off day.

bjwok
Tracer @ Tsunami Fest, Nijmegen

The actions of the owner of Oldcave Nijmegen last night to cut Tracer’s set were unforgivable.

It was really sad to see a venue book a rock festival and then have such a negative attitude towards not only the bands, but also the festival organisers and the paying punters.

Tsunami Fest did all they could to sort this guy out, but in the end one single pig headed guy shut the whole thing down.

Disappointed.

bjwok
Tracer @ Podium Victorie, Alkmaar, June ’12

Awesome to be back in Alkmaar with all our mates again!!

Thanks for rocking with us and for the after party!

bjwok
Tracer @ Rosrock Festival, Rossem, July ’12

The last show of the tour!!

What a rad festival – all props to Adrian and the crew behind this event – we were treated to the best hospitality and catering. It really was a great way to end the tour.

Thanks to the Schwenken community for the bottle of champagne too!

We celebrated!

bjwok
Tracer – European Fall Tour, Sep – Oct ’12

First post for the tour!

On epic flights such as Australia to Amsterdam the guys like to watch the same movie at the exact same time, so they can (quote Mike) all laugh at the same time.

Trying to start the movie using a touch screen while wearing headphones gave birth to the 3 second count-in.

Here’s a shot of of Mike & Dre right on the “go” count as they start a movie together.

I missed the count in. Instead I ordered more drinkses for all…

...which we clearly didn't actually need, but they are complimentary, so what were we to do?

Arriving in The Netherlands it was a quick stop to Tracer's record label, Mascot Records in Berkle, Rotterdam to pick up the new tour t-shirts plus other gear.

Here Mike demonstrates how poorly the girlie shirt fits a man:

These shirts will be available at shows, so make sure you come and say Hi to the guys after the set!

And don't worry, there are mens sizes too!

The big news in camp Tracer is the upcoming recoding in LA with producer <strong>Kevin Shirley</strong> (Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Silverchair, Cold Chisel).

On the back of that announcement came the news that after tireless years with the band, Leigh Brown has chosen to part ways with Tracer.

Welcoming into his shoes is the incredibly skilled bass player Pat Saracino whom you may have seen in Adelaide's "Like Leaves" or behind the desk doing sound at Rocket Bar. Pat is a top bloke, a great musician and a damn fine guy to be around!

I set up a quick promo shoot around the streets of Rotterdam to introduce Pat to the rest of the world.

Here's a bunch of shots from that shoot (including some that didn't get sent to media for obvious reasons!)

Massive thanks to Baukje, Sandra and Iris from the Tracer Schwenken Community for assisting at short notice on this shoot for me!

Here's the shot that the band ran with to announce Pat:

From there it was into lockdown for 5 days of rehearsing with Pat.

bjwok
Tracer @ Kerrang! Radio, Birmingham, September ’12

Ahead of the first show on the tour we swung by Kerrang! Radio in Birmingham for a quick acoustic set and interview.

A nice ease in to the start of the tour!

bjwok
Tracer @ Slade Rooms, Wolverhampton, September ’12

First show of the tour!!

Thanks to everyone who came down to kick this tour off with us.

Wolverhampton, Slade Rooms, again, you rocked!

bjwok
Tracer @ Real Rock Radio XS, Manchester, September ’12

Just played an acoustic set for Real Radio XS in Manchester at The Grand Central.

bjwok
Tracer @ Academy 3, Manchester, September ’12

If the amount of blood on Mike’s guitar after this show was anything to go by, Manchester you absolutely rocked!!

Thanks everyone for coming down.

bjwok
Tracer @ The Cluny, Newcastle, September ’12

Great gig at The Cluny, Newcastle!

Happy birthday to our merch man Leigh!

Thanks to everyone who helped us sing him happy birthday.

bjwok
Tracer @ Real Radio XS, Glasgow, September ’12

Just played a three song set for Real Radio XS in Scotland ahead of our show at 02 ABC tonight.

Thanks to everyone who won tickets, see you shortly for the full show!

bjwok
Tracer @ 02 ABC, Glasgow, September ’12

Best show of the tour so far!!

Glasgow, it was worth the wait!

bjwok
Tracer @ The Cockpit, Leeds, September ’12

What a bloody fantastic show!! (literally!)

Dre’s two thumb blood blisters bursting during the third song, and then Mike’s finger shredding throughout the rest of the set smattered the stage at The Cockpit with blood!

Thanks for coming down everyone!!

Two days off to heal up before we play Nottingham.

bjwok
Tracer @ Rescue Rooms, Nottingham, October ’12

And Nottingham Matters!!

What a great night in an amazing city.

Thanks to everyone who came down.

And a special thanks to the crew from The Nelson Rock Bar in Sheffield for making the trek.

bjwok
Tracer @ Komedia, Bath, October ’12

Cheers n beers to everyone that came to see us in Bath last night.

Your city is amazing!!

bjwok
Tracer @ Gloucester Guildhall, Gloucester, October ’12

Thanks to everyone for coming down last night to the Gloucester Guildhall for our show.

We had a totally schwenken time on stage!!

bjwok
Tracer @ Stonehenge, October ’12

Swung by Stonehenge on the way to our show in Poole, along with hundreds of other people (all coming to our show later that night?)