FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photo Upload Options in Post Editor

rjraaz
Please integrate a photo upload option in post editor if it is possible Or attach photos from picasa etc and upload application in post editor.

I think you understand what i want to say.
Bondings
I actually planned to do something similar for quite a while, but considering it would take a long time to implement and there are a lot more important things to do first, it will probably not be added, or at least not anytime soon.
rjraaz
If administrators dont mind it may i try to design an application for it at present i am using a greasmonkey script for it.

Bondings wrote:
I actually planned to do something similar for quite a while, but considering it would take a long time to implement and there are a lot more important things to do first, it will probably not be added, or at least not anytime soon.
zeda
rjraaz wrote:
If administrators dont mind it may i try to design an application for it at present i am using a greasmonkey script for it.

Bondings wrote:

You can start with describing more precisely what you suggest. It is always possible to post a link to a picture on a picture website. And other forums offer the possibility to post pictures too. The threads become very long with pictures in them.
deanhills
zeda wrote:
You can start with describing more precisely what you suggest. It is always possible to post a link to a picture on a picture website. And other forums offer the possibility to post pictures too. The threads become very long with pictures in them.
Good point. I sometimes wonder whether it could be a good idea to restrict the length of the postings to just slightly more than the 5 point value vertical size, as some of the postings can sometimes be too long, to exhaustion point. A photo/illustration now and then however is actually quite nice and can provide some nice relief unless they are too large and overwhelming. Maybe there could be a limitation on the size of the photo/illustration that could be accomplished through the design parameters of the posting box, i.e. when the illustration exceeds the space of the box, it automatically gets rejected instead of making the posting box expand horizontally, and ditto the text in vertical size. Once the end of the box is reached for the text, then like with a mobile phone, one can't write any more text.
meep
The good thing about big images is that they get resized when you set a width/height smaller than the original, so rejecting them isn't needed, I figure it's possible to automatically resize them to 50% of the original size when they're too big. But the fact that there is an cross-platform imageshack uploader that automatically gives you the bbcode (the application and site alike), a photo-upload option will not make adding images considerably faster or easier, just a bit less clicks.

And if you're writing a quality post which needs images I don't think that the 4-5 seconds it takes to upload an image is that bad.
deanhills
meep wrote:
The good thing about big images is that they get resized when you set a width/height smaller than the original, so rejecting them isn't needed, I figure it's possible to automatically resize them to 50% of the original size when they're too big. But the fact that there is an cross-platform imageshack uploader that automatically gives you the bbcode (the application and site alike), a photo-upload option will not make adding images considerably faster or easier, just a bit less clicks.

And if you're writing a quality post which needs images I don't think that the 4-5 seconds it takes to upload an image is that bad.
I'm not sure I understand correctly. As I was referring to linking to photos. Is there a way then that one can link to photos that would then automatically resize to 50% of their size?
meep
deanhills wrote:
meep wrote:

I'm not sure I understand correctly. As I was referring to linking to photos. Is there a way then that one can link to photos that would then automatically resize to 50% of their size?

I'm referring to using the img-tag to add images to your post, those images can be automatically resized Smile, if you're just linking the photos by posting the direct link (link to photo) it opens in a new tab/window and the browser should automatically scale it down (with resizing i mean scale down, not actually making the image smaller).
ocalhoun
meep wrote:

I'm referring to using the img-tag to add images to your post, those images can be automatically resized Smile,

That might be possible, but the Frihost server would have to be the one doing the resizing, every time a picture was viewed... It would be way too much server load.
Or, it would have to store a re-sized copy of every picture posted, which would take up a lot of space.
meep
ocalhoun wrote:
meep wrote:

I'm referring to using the img-tag to add images to your post, those images can be automatically resized Smile,

That might be possible, but the Frihost server would have to be the one doing the resizing, every time a picture was viewed... It would be way too much server load.
Or, it would have to store a re-sized copy of every picture posted, which would take up a lot of space.

you can set a max-width and max-height attribute on the img tag, then when the page gets loaded the browser scales it down to that max-width or max-height (if it's bigger than one of those values).

so I don't think the frihost server would have much load on it Smile

edit: just tested it, it doesn't scale down atm
deanhills
meep wrote:
you can set a max-width and max-height attribute on the img tag, then when the page gets loaded the browser scales it down to that max-width or max-height (if it's bigger than one of those values).

so I don't think the frihost server would have much load on it Smile

edit: just tested it, it doesn't scale down atm
Sounds like a great idea. As it would make things look much neater as well. As currently if an illustration is posted that is too wide, then all the following postings seem to stretch past the maximum width as well, and one has to scoll horizontally to read the postings. Makes it a real clumsy.
ocalhoun
meep wrote:

That would work, I suppose... There would still be slow loading times, but little extra stress to the server.

Just add "width=800" to the code produced by the img tag any time the image width is greater than, say, 800 pixels.
(As long as you only provide one dimension in the html code, it won't distort the image when resizing.)
The server will still have to determine the size of the remote picture, but it would only have to be done once per picture that is posted, so it wouldn't be too large of a load.
meep
ocalhoun wrote:

That would work, I suppose... There would still be slow loading times, but little extra stress to the server.

Just add "width=800" to the code produced by the img tag any time the image width is greater than, say, 800 pixels.
(As long as you only provide one dimension in the html code, it won't distort the image when resizing.)
The server will still have to determine the size of the remote picture, but it would only have to be done once per picture that is posted, so it wouldn't be too large of a load.

Adding width=800 only fixes part of the problem, it doesn't set a max height, and if we would add height=800 (like in your suggestion), it would get out of proportion when you get an image that's over 800 pixels wide and over 800 pixels high (since you would get a 1:1 aspect ratio). So in theory your logic works but only when one side is greater than 800px.

But setting a max-height and max-width in css will keep the aspect ratios correctly Very Happy
ocalhoun
meep wrote:
it doesn't set a max height

Why does there need to be a max height?

Very tall images don't mess up the page layout.
meep
ocalhoun wrote:
meep wrote:

Would you like to scroll down alot just because someone posted an image that's about 4000 pixels tall?
I'd rather just see a sort of thumbnail
ocalhoun
meep wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
meep wrote:

Would you like to scroll down alot just because someone posted an image that's about 4000 pixels tall?
I'd rather just see a sort of thumbnail

Well,
a) That doesn't happen very often... Who posts an 800x4000 pixel image?
b) Scrolling down isn't that hard... As opposed to clicking on thumbnails.

Different strokes for different folks though, at that point, it's just personal preference.
deanhills
I'm not sure I would like to see a thumbnail, but it would be nice to have a maximum horizontal width parameter. I'm also sure that if you have the maximum horizontal width set, that the vertical length would be comfortable to live with as it would be relative to the vertical length. It won't be that tall as to be uncomfortable with scrolling.