FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I like an ssd.

An ssd is a big improvement of a computer.
1. Yes.
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
2. It is.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
3. Please inform me, what is an ssd?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4. I really like my ssd.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5. I cant wait to buy 1.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
6. I wait till Intel produces the newest generation G3.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

zenama
Somebody might think that the ssd turns a system into the machine a computer is ment to be. This means that the ssd can be considered the best computer part to use to upgrade a system with at this moment. Disadvantages can be the price, which is considerable high in relation to and considered with other computer parts like hard disks, the relative small amount of space and what can be seen like the little reliability ssd's have at the moment.
Helios
Well I saw several benchmarks which showed that SSD's are faster than regular 7200 hard disks, but not by a huge amount. If you own a 10k rpm disk, you might not feel any difference at all.
Noise can be a factor, and SSD's don't have it. That's a plus if your aim is a quiet PC.

Also how many write cycles do SSDs have today in general?
PureReborn
I want one to put my OS and appliactions to run on, but it's pretty expensive and theres still issues with repeat write. I'll hold off for another year until the technology matures and the price gets better.
FunDa
There is a hybrid type which combines a solis state device with a much bigger hard disk. WHat it does is that it keeps costs down. The data which is used more often is shifted to the ssd part of the drive and so the computer becomes progressively faster each time you use it.

That would be ideal till the cost of ssd comes down. Of course, such a hybrid ssd is useful for laptops where you can have only one internal hard disk.

If yu have a desktop, use an affordable (but small) SSD for storing the Operating System and most used files, while the huge hard disk can store the rest of the stuff.
mahirh
Helios wrote:
Well I saw several benchmarks which showed that SSD's are faster than regular 7200 hard disks, but not by a huge amount. If you own a 10k rpm disk, you might not feel any difference at all.
Noise can be a factor, and SSD's don't have it. That's a plus if your aim is a quiet PC.

Also how many write cycles do SSDs have today in general?

noise ? , just use foam cusions or suspend it in air with a peice of wire problem solved , combine it with a good water cooling system you can get for cheap , the quietest pc you can get