FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What operating system do you consider to meet your needs?

Is Windows 7 an improvement?
1. No
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
2. Every product of Microsoft is crappy.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
3. Microsoft delivers expensive products that don't work very well.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
4. Microsoft rocks and so does Windows 7.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5. I don't care as long as my computer is fast.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

zenama
It seems that the discussion about: 'which operating program is the best' relies of the opinion of the user. It might depend of the situation of the user and the computer skills and coding experiences too among other influences. That makes the question about which operating system is the best reliable to relativeness. To put some emphasis on the relativeness of the answer to the question about what can be seen like the best the topic name of this topic is chosen different from the question which operating system is the best or which version of an operating system is the best like in other topics. The idea is to make clear that several circumstances influence the answers to these questions.
ChrisCh
I would love to have voted in your poll, but all of your answers are anti-Microsoft.

I run Windows 7, and find it best for what I use it for (video editing, web browsing and email, networking to my TV, running it as a network file and print server, etc).

I also know absolutely nothing about how to keep Apple computers secure, and since I know so much about that with Windows, I just don't have the time to learn it all for another OS. So for me, Windows it is! Smile
the-guide
@ChrisCh is it eat a lot of PC resource or slow down your PC?
I'm planning to buy Windows 7 very soon but I need to (MUST) upgrade my old PC first (as Microsoft advised).

Thanks.
Nemesis234
ChrisCh wrote:

I also know absolutely nothing about how to keep Apple computers secure, and since I know so much about that with Windows, I just don't have the time to learn it all for another OS. So for me, Windows it is! Smile

this is a very good point. ive been with windows forever and its easy to diagnose problems and know where to look for solutions to problems if they are too difficult to fix alone.

i personally have never used mac/linux but im sure they are all pretty similar. aslong as it lets me surf and work with office documents im happy, and that was all possilbe since like windows 98.
Ankhanu
Win7 is a bit of a mixed bag; it's a HUGE improvement over Vista, that's for sure, but it offers only minor improvements over XP and loses some of what makes XP good. Of course, with continued support (or rather lack of support for XP), the benefits of 7 will improve.

That said, I don't particularly care for Win7. I use WinXP, Win7, MacOS 10.x, and Ubuntu regularly, with MacOS as my default go-to OS. Compared to MacOS and Linux, Win7 really only offers gaming as its "why should I choose it" perk for a day-to-day user. MacOS and Linux are both beautiful OSes, and are delightfully secure and easy to use, and neither really requires any third party software to be "secure"; their unix root makes them less susceptible to invasion than Microsoft OSes (you have to OK every bit of software that could impact the OS). The cost of MacOS (well, Mac hardware, the OS is reasonable) is its downfall; while it operates wonderfully, it is a stumbling block. On the other hand, Linux is delightfully free and easy to use. It's not as pretty as, say MacOS, but it is well put together. The illusion that Linux is hard to use is a thing of the past, it's easier, in many ways, than Windows, and it's FAST and highly customizable.

Both Linux and MacOS can run most Windows software through virtual machine emulation, so even if you have specific Windows software you have to use, both are still viable options.

Linux is, obviously the best value for cost. Fast, easy to use, lots of applications, no day to day use limitations (most people use their computers for basic internet use, email/chat, word processing and music/video, Linux handles this perfectly), and super secure. It'll run on pretty much any hardware.

As for diagnosing problems, well, you shouldn't have as many with MacOS or Linux; I think I've had to diagnose 3 issues on my Mac since Jan'07, and maybe 4 with Linux since ~2001. The online support for both OSes is incredible, and you can find tutorials through just about anything you might encounter. Even if you're not really familiar with the inner workings (which I'm not, I'm more familiar with Windows diagnostics), you can get through whatever problem you're having with a minimum of difficulty.
loyal
At the end of the day, a good OS can do two things:
-Do stuff you want it to do. This depends on the user. It might be to edit movies or it might be to just browse the net.
-Work well. Windows is notorious for being slow, crashing often, etc, which is why it receives so much hatred.

Peace.
Nemesis234
loyal wrote:
Windows is notorious for being slow, crashing often, etc, which is why it receives so much hatred.

ive been running xp since it came out, never once has it crashed without an obvious reason. my ram died once and windows crashed, well i think ill let it off for that one. and it crashed another time when i was installing some random 3rd party program, and i fully believe it was the program at fault and not windows.

so in 8 years, 2 crashes.

m just wondering how many crashes you seem to be having with windows? i would be very interested to know, and maybe you should check your computer before blaming the OS.

slow? well that entirely depends on the specs of your computer. i once used ubtuntu linux round a friend, and that was absolutly no quicker, in anything really. and if it was we are talking a few seconds here and there.

and hatred? lol, what is the most popular OS, could it be windows, yes. if so many people hated it, why would so many people be using it?
Denvis
Nemesis234 wrote:
loyal wrote:
Windows is notorious for being slow, crashing often, etc, which is why it receives so much hatred.

ive been running xp since it came out, never once has it crashed without an obvious reason. my ram died once and windows crashed, well i think ill let it off for that one. and it crashed another time when i was installing some random 3rd party program, and i fully believe it was the program at fault and not windows.

so in 8 years, 2 crashes.

m just wondering how many crashes you seem to be having with windows? i would be very interested to know, and maybe you should check your computer before blaming the OS.

slow? well that entirely depends on the specs of your computer. i once used ubtuntu linux round a friend, and that was absolutly no quicker, in anything really. and if it was we are talking a few seconds here and there.

and hatred? lol, what is the most popular OS, could it be windows, yes. if so many people hated it, why would so many people be using it?

Agreed. I've had no problems with the Windows OS (that weren't my fault). Whenever there were problems such as crashes and being slow... it wasn't the OS that caused it, it was me. It receives so much hatred because it's currently one of the most popular OSs (and I really hope it stays that way), with anything in life... there will be haters. Not to mention, most newbies that hit the world of computing usually dive into the Windows OS not knowing how to properly utilize and use it correctly, thus causing problems and blaming the OS without looking at other factors that may have caused it.

I think the Windows 7 OS is a brilliant OS and definitely an improvement from its predecessor, the craptacular Vista.