FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cloud Computing Simplified

Techcurrentz
The details of the computing are hidden from the users who are no longer needed to be an expert in the field. In even simpler terms Cloud computing refers to a pay-per-use model of computing where applications and software are accessed over the Internet and not owned by users. IT companies can save huge costs on these products as they would not have to invest in purchasing them. The cloud computing market in India has been an ever developing one since the advent of the technology two years back.
badai
not necessarily pay-per-use. the more accurate description is: the resource is in the "cloud" (the Internet, or other inter network networks) where the resource are shared by multiple users. resource is the hardware and software.

and it's not really hidden from users. like frihost, we know exactly what's the spec, what OS is running, and we can even see the server load.

in case you wondering why it's call cloud, when you draw your network diagram, you use cloud as the legend for the Internet, or something outside your network.

Techcurrentz wrote:
The details of the computing are hidden from the users who are no longer needed to be an expert in the field. In even simpler terms Cloud computing refers to a pay-per-use model of computing where applications and software are accessed over the Internet and not owned by users. IT companies can save huge costs on these products as they would not have to invest in purchasing them. The cloud computing market in India has been an ever developing one since the advent of the technology two years back.
menino
Quote:
Gartner defines cloud computing as "a style of computing in which massively scalable IT-related capabilities are provided 'as a service' using Internet technologies to multiple external customers."

Cloud Computing allows users to purchase "software-as-a-service", as well as "platforms-as-a-service", based on resources available, as they want and need.

Cloud Computing hardware consists of dedicated and scalable hardware, as well as being redundant, and "always available".
badai
so i use gmail, google docs, and host my website on frihost.

am i using cloud computing?

do i pay a single cent for all of these?
Flakky
I use cloud computing as well. My laptop is dedicated to the processing of downloads. I control them all using my main computer Smile
badai
if you can physically touch your notebook, its definitely not in the cloud.

any node that you personally know exactly its physical location can't really be define as in cloud, even it does sit in the cloud. you can only call it in cloud if you don't know where it is. it just doesn't match your mental image. beside, when you draw you network diagram, you have to put your notebook there, right before your network go outside to the cloud. if you know the other machine on the other side of the cloud, you still will include it in your diagram on the other side (like diagram involving VPN connecting 2 sites.)

keyword: cloud. if you understand what all those technical terms means, you can always laugh at those people trying to recruit you into their get rich quick scheme.