FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


All these topics, and nothing to talk about





eday2010
Does anyone else find it hard to come here and post replies to topics? I find it very difficult and often get warnings about negative points. Even with all the topics, it just feels like there is nothing to talk about. But look at the topics: Are muffins better than bread, or what email do you use, the last time you puked, pigeon racing...

Almost every topic seems to be one where you reply once and then move on. There doesn't seem to be many set up for discussion. And even when there was, there is no sense of community. There are tons of members and lots of posts with broken English which makes it hard t oget that sense of a close knit community where you want to engage in conversation with other people. I've been a member here for 5 years and haven't cracked 1000 posts. On another forum, I have over 1500 posts and I have only been there for not even 3 years.

So am I the only one who comes and sees all these topics but has nothing to say? I don't think I am since I see a ton of fluff posts that are just there in order to get points.
milleja46
i was beginning to think i was the only one. there are so many topics but nothing to talk about. Some i've come accross i really can't say anything, but others i they're just to weird to post anything in...i haven't gone negative in awhile though but i've come close since i've had nothing to say at all...because the topics are just to weird to post in, or there's not a good reply to where i can say anything
metalfreek
Actually I find topics by searching the unreplied post and post since last visit feature but most of them are language sub forums one and the English thread are not that exciting to participate on. I hope someone or somebody will do something about it.
TurtleShell
Although I mostly have nothing to say in a lot of these forums, there have been some good ones in the past, wherein I've engaged in interesting conversation with other people. I've even made contacts that I've spoken to outside frihost.

By the way, the philosophy forums are full of people who spend a LOT of time debating various topics. If you're looking for an engaging conversation, you should try participating in those topics. I would if I had time and I wasn't freaked out a little by the intensity of the other philosphy participants.
Bikerman
Oh we don't bite, honest.
A bit of scratching and kicking, maybe... Smile
Anyone is most welcome to post in philosophy/religion, but they do need to be aware that one of the philosophy-types is likely to take their posting apart to see what it is made of. Some people are put off by the experience and take it personally, I know, but others find it stimulating and educational and take it in the spirit it is intended - robustly challenging the ideas, not the person. It does mean that you need to think a posting through a bit more than in some of the other forums, but we all can benefit from some serious challenges now and again Smile
deanhills
TurtleShell made a very good point, in the kind of language that one would have preferred in the Philosophy Forum as well. Honest and straight, but with courtesy, tact and plenty of respect for other posters. Debate does not need to be confrontational to the point of cutting people down (and in some cases out). I don't think this kind of "debate" does credit to Frihost either. A few months ago I tried to work on getting the guy who won the Philosopher Princess's contest to join in for the summer to stimulate some discussion in Philosophy, maybe even a contest of a kind. I did it in an attempt to tone down the "intensity" that TurtleShell was talking about as I liked his style of debate during the Philosopher Princess Contest. This is a quote from his e-mail and right on the number:
Quote:
I stopped following the board mainly as all the threads were religious rants and arguments, and there was in fact very little of interest in a strictly philosophical sense.


Let's face the truth Bikerman. Those "religious rants and arguments", are not encouraging to your more sophisticated poster. And quite boring to the majority of posters. They also distract completely from some of the good quality discussions that do actually take place in the "Philosophy" and Religion Forum, and usually between the exact same old stalwarts who are dominating the Forum. Now and then there is the odd newcomer with obvious debate skills who try the Forum out for size, and after a few discussions is gone again.
standready
I do sometimes find it difficult to find that "I" can respond to. Maybe it is just the age difference (when I was in school, we used stone tablets and a chisel) that makes many topics out of my realm. I do read these topics and sometimes learn something from them (Yikes!) or research the subject.
Nameless
eday2010 wrote:
So am I the only one who comes and sees all these topics but has nothing to say? I don't think I am since I see a ton of fluff posts that are just there in order to get points.

Yes.
[/obligatory]
truespeed
It can be difficult at times,and its true the only section where you get any decent debate is the Philosophy and religion forums and although some posters in there have been accused of being overly aggressive sometimes (A view which i don't share) without those posters those forums would soon become obsolete like a lot of the other categories on the forum.

Elsewhere its quite difficult to get a thread/discussion going,major world news items seem to pass this forum by.
ocalhoun
eday2010 wrote:

Almost every topic seems to be one where you reply once and then move on.

Well, that's general chat for you.
(AKA general spam)

Try philosophy and religion, politics, or any of the science forums for a better chance of a real discussion.

Some computer/electronics and other special-interest topics can also get very good sometimes... though there's still the obligatory "what _____ do you use" topics.
Arty
eday2010 wrote:
Does anyone else find it hard to come here and post replies to topics? I find it very difficult and often get warnings about negative points. Even with all the topics, it just feels like there is nothing to talk about. But look at the topics: Are muffins better than bread, or what email do you use, the last time you puked, pigeon racing...

Almost every topic seems to be one where you reply once and then move on. There doesn't seem to be many set up for discussion. And even when there was, there is no sense of community. There are tons of members and lots of posts with broken English which makes it hard t oget that sense of a close knit community where you want to engage in conversation with other people. I've been a member here for 5 years and haven't cracked 1000 posts. On another forum, I have over 1500 posts and I have only been there for not even 3 years.

So am I the only one who comes and sees all these topics but has nothing to say? I don't think I am since I see a ton of fluff posts that are just there in order to get points.


You can start by talking about when's the last time you puked, then after waiting a few days, reply again describing it in greater detail while commenting on the accounts of others. Very Happy

But in all seriousness, Frihost needs more community participation in topics. Maybe a topic where people collaborate on something is what I mean.
Ghost Rider103
I only feel the same way when looking in the General Chat section.

When you look in other categories, there is usually some sort of discussion going on. Though I will admit some of the categories lack activity, however I think the only reason for this is because everyone seems to over-use the General Chat section in my opinion.

If the General Chat wasn't here, every user would be forced to go into all the other categories and actually engage in debating/discussing something rather than asking the entire forums one question where there is no room for discussion or debate.

I like the idea of having a General Chat category, but it just seems over-used on Frihost. If everyone would post just as much in other categories as they do here, I think the forum discussion level would increase.

On a side note, it's interesting to see that you all are noticing a drop in the quality of new threads.
AftershockVibe
I think another issue is that most people only have a few "hot-button" issues, and even then this is only evident in the forum if someone else has the same issue, but takes the opposite opinion or one with a significant difference to yours.

Back in the day (although I wasn't on this forum) the invasion of Iraq spawned a lot of good threads, because you had people on both sides with valid and points and not a lot of expert knowledge was needed (as opposed to, say, philosophy). Getting several 5 point posts in a day was a piece of cake.

The "socialist" healthcare debate was similar, but largely excluded anyone from outside the US because they didn't see what all the fuss was about Wink

Still, I have noticed it's a lot harder to engage than it was before. I had decided this was just because I've been here for ages though and I've seen many similar topics before, so they hold less interest. Furthermore, Frihost has gotten bigger. It's much more appealing to be the first reply to a topic than the 8th, which far fewer people will read.

Still, I have no problem keeping my point count up, but then this is partially due to my computer knowledge so I can help out in those subforums. Others might not have such knowledge or interest.
saratdear
I agree with the OP. And I was thinking it's just my waning interest...or else how could I have this signature for so long?

I think it's just the General Chat. There is a lot of 'post and move on' kind topics, but that's why it's called General "Chat".
Asap170
There are a million topics, but some of them I am to lazy to type a paragraph so I just skip them. But there is also a lot of topics that I don't really see a use in. So it's a 50/50 sort of thing for me.
Hogwarts
To be honest, it has become difficult to find things of interest to reply to, especially given the amount of threads which are either utterly worthless, or Indian people being patriotic (although I'm not sure if that's not simply a subset of the former)
Looking for a sophisticated discussion, you head over to the Philosophy and Region or Science boards. Repetitive religious blather in the Philosophy and Religion forum aside, both of these suffer from the problem of hyperactive posters. It's practically a certainty that by the time a non-hyperactive poster logs on that they've already dominated any new threads, denying any further development or discussion. And, really, why would anybody else answer or discuss a question that's already been answered or has simply been shot down? This is not to say, of course, that nobody else can post there; just that their posts will be utterly worthless and likely ridiculed (although I don't mean to give oxygen to those people who get offended when people disagree with their opinions about religion)

Frihost has developed in such a way such that only these hyperactive posters are catered to. New forums pertaining to things about websites or scripting (on a web host, no less)? No thank you. We just need five science forums, only one of which has more than either one or two pages worth of topics to begin with (despite them being two years old)

Confused </angry rant>
saratdear
Hogwarts wrote:
To be honest, it has become difficult to find things of interest to reply to, especially given the amount of threads which are either utterly worthless, or Indian people being patriotic (although I'm not sure if that's not simply a subset of the former)

Are you sure? It is unfair to say all the threads about Indian people being patriotic are "utterly worthless".
Nemesis234
i generally just use the "posts since last visit" thing and mainly stick to the website areas, thats cuz i know damn well if i click into any other areas 90% of the time any post i read is meaningless and was only made to get points.

there are the odd topics that i like to check every now and then because they get quite interesting, like a few maths/science/technology ones, but there are definatly no "community" topics that interest me.

i think the trouble is there a loads of different areas, frihost cant specialise in anything. i would have thought because frihost is all about hosting it would stick to that as a main catagory for discussion, would cut out alot of crap from poeple struggling for points.
Bikerman
Hogwarts wrote:
It's practically a certainty that by the time a non-hyperactive poster logs on that they've already dominated any new threads, denying any further development or discussion.
'Denying' is a strong word. If you mean that the case against has been presented in such a way that there is no valid come-back, then I would say that the thread is probably dead - but nobody is denying further development/discussion...
Quote:
And, really, why would anybody else answer or discuss a question that's already been answered or has simply been shot down?
Exactly. So are you suggesting that these hyper-active posters just need to back off and allow discussion to develop before contributing their own opinion/position? Since I probably am in that group, Smile, then let me say that I do try to restrict the posts I get involved in, quite deliberately, to try to avoid what you are outlining. I do think, however, that the science forums have spawned some very worthwhile discussions. Not as many as I would like, to be sure, but I can't force people to post. I think the fact that questions are answered, or opinions challenged fairly promptly is not a bad thing in those forums, since otherwise we could have great long trips into pseudo-science and nonsense, which I don't think belong in any science forums.....
Quote:
This is not to say, of course, that nobody else can post there; just that their posts will be utterly worthless and likely ridiculed (although I don't mean to give oxygen to those people who get offended when people disagree with their opinions about religion)
The worth of the post is what it is - regardless of the response. The response does not set the worth of the original posting. The view might be mildly ridiculed, but that ridicule isn't personalised (or it shouldn't be). Should not that which is ridiculous be ridiculed?
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
To be honest, it has become difficult to find things of interest to reply to, especially given the amount of threads which are either utterly worthless, or Indian people being patriotic (although I'm not sure if that's not simply a subset of the former)
Looking for a sophisticated discussion, you head over to the Philosophy and Region or Science boards. Repetitive religious blather in the Philosophy and Religion forum aside, both of these suffer from the problem of hyperactive posters. It's practically a certainty that by the time a non-hyperactive poster logs on that they've already dominated any new threads, denying any further development or discussion. And, really, why would anybody else answer or discuss a question that's already been answered or has simply been shot down? This is not to say, of course, that nobody else can post there; just that their posts will be utterly worthless and likely ridiculed (although I don't mean to give oxygen to those people who get offended when people disagree with their opinions about religion)

Frihost has developed in such a way such that only these hyperactive posters are catered to. New forums pertaining to things about websites or scripting (on a web host, no less)? No thank you. We just need five science forums, only one of which has more than either one or two pages worth of topics to begin with (despite them being two years old)

Confused </angry rant>
A five star posting! Totally on the mark Hogwarts and very well written. Guess sometimes ranting does have very good results. Smile This may be an unfair question to ask, but do you see any solution to the problem?
missdixy
I think the problem lies in the the nature of this forum itself. Why are most people here? Hosting. So, while most of users have this fact in common, it's not a very unifying thing. For instance, a lot of forums sort of have a major 'unifying' interest where people with that particular interest can come together and form a community. I think it's a little difficult for such a community to form on here. However, not impossible. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure what the best step would be in order to encourage more discussion.


Nemesis234 wrote:
i would have thought because frihost is all about hosting it would stick to that as a main category for discussion, would cut out a lot of crap from people struggling for points.


I don't see this as a solution at all. While yes, many of us are here because of hosting, I don't think that trying to center the forums around this topic (and this topic only) will be a good resolution. I like the variety that FriHost offers, so that people can spend time in the forums they're most interested in, and I doubt that making 'hosting' the main category would bring about a whole lot of discussion. There just isn't always a whole lot to discuss on this topic. Especially if, like me, you are a user who does use their hosting, but doesn't spend a whole lot of his/her time working on website or design or hosting etc.

I wish I could suggest a solution. Hm.
Vrythramax
missdixy wrote:
I think the problem lies in the the nature of this forum itself. Why are most people here? Hosting. So, while most of users have this fact in common, it's not a very unifying thing. For instance, a lot of forums sort of have a major 'unifying' interest where people with that particular interest can come together and form a community. I think it's a little difficult for such a community to form on here. However, not impossible. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure what the best step would be in order to encourage more discussion.



oh I couldn't have said it better! I was an avid poster, but I fell into the trap of a single poster that wanted to post in numbers not content...and it burned me out. I love Frihost, and it's not just for the hosting...I have been here for quite sometime, and I am *never* going to leave (unless Bondings bans me). My sister (missdixy) has been around for a long time, and I search her posts...I wish there were more like her...she speaks her mind, and often with passion.

It's users like her that keep people coming back. Keep posting dixy and you'll keep me coming back.
ocalhoun
missdixy wrote:
For instance, a lot of forums sort of have a major 'unifying' interest where people with that particular interest can come together and form a community.

I like that about Frihost though. There are very few good 'general' forums without an overriding interest like that.
Bluedoll
The answer is yes, I do find it sometimes difficult to post and have reasonable discussions on frihost although I can say I’ve had some interesting ones. It is somewhat touch and go. You do see a lot of posts that seem to be only there for points.

Is that not to be expected though because posting is a mandatory requirement though I never felt that way. I am not sure of a solution for that only to say if you want good posts and discussions then try making a few. In other words set a good example and show others how it can be done. Impress some people.

The other possibility for setting up a community atmosphere is to try and start something that just might be interesting and appealing to other members.

I posted, Are muffins better than bread at the time not to gather points but to honestly post something lighter without much of an agenda. At that time I was feeling rather intimidated by some of the posts I was following, so wanted something easier to interact with.

Smile
deanhills
@Bluedoll. I just have this feeling that one could post any topic under the world, and you would still be able to say something. Right from muffins to intense philosophy. I think some people are born with a gift for the gab or for writing, others just aren't interested to talk other than that which is absolutely necessary and functional. The rest they find to be "fluff", dull and uninteresting. So I kind'a feel sympathetic towards them, as obviously for those who are OK with a few words, or more, posting in order to keep up their Website points is easy, versus totally difficult for those who find most words redundant and perhaps even frightening from the point of view that it exposes them more than they are comfortable with or used to or in some cases patient with. Just not their kind of thing.
Flakky
I have several reasons to go to this forum. Though I always feel dissapointed somehow. I am glad that this service is available so I still want to reply.

I think the best bet is to talk about the news as it's supposed to be original Wink `
LittleBlackKitten
It's borderline frustrating, especially when you're an active member and give good quality posts almost every day if not every other when you DO find something to talk about, and your points are well under your Frih$. I am not inactive by any stretch of the imagination, nor are my posts "lul durp" esque. I give good, clear, consise posts with little error (Perhaps some spelling) and full of good opinions. I've even opened a topic or two of my own, and keep checking them, and yet, my points are STILL low. I can't even keep up, especially when there isn't anything active that I either haven't already posted in, has actually been touched in a few months, or hasn't interested me enough to warrant a good post. In general, if I can't enter a paragraph or two, unless someone irritated me, I DON'T post at all, because I try to get as close to or dead on for 5 points as often as I can for that very reason. I get it's to stop people from vanishing, but those who will be active will stay, and those who don't care will go away no matter what, even if they loose points and free hosting. It's a bit of a broken system, but I suppose it's what Bondings wants, so...
truespeed
LittleBlackKitten your points are 45,that is the maximum you can get,you can go over,but if you do they get reset to 45 at the end of the day.
deanhills
This should be great news for LittleBlackKitten then, as there is a definite incentive now to post beyond 45 points on a daily basis. The coins stats will most certainly reflect her posting activity beyond 45 points and depending what the coins are for, perhaps she may be able to make use of it as well to good advantage.

In her defense, not all new posters are always completely in the know about the 45 points. I remember (that is getting a while ago now) that I was also puzzled after I had just started and when I searched there had been plenty of other posters who had asked the same question in the support forum, and had been answered. So there are quite a large number of new posters who are a little confused initially. But always many people patient and willing to answer any questions.

I was wondering, would there be any benefit of an info-email about the point system immediately after someone new has joined? Maybe an automatically generated one that is PM'd or sent to the e-mail address after the first posting? It could perhaps also contain info about the different rankings or links to all the pieces of essential Frihost info?
sudipbanerjee
It is a common problem for me also that I didn't found any topic to reply. But to truely said one topic is very much favourite for me: The last movie you watch. I am a movie fan and try to watch atleast one movie in a day ar atleast in two days. So it is a common answer for me.
deanhills
sudipbanerjee wrote:
It is a common problem for me also that I didn't found any topic to reply. But to truely said one topic is very much favourite for me: The last movie you watch. I am a movie fan and try to watch atleast one movie in a day ar atleast in two days. So it is a common answer for me.
Guess you're in luck with that topic then. You could also start a new thread with new movies that have not already been covered in that Forum. Your contribution will always be valued.
watersoul
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I only feel the same way when looking in the General Chat section.

When you look in other categories, there is usually some sort of discussion going on. Though I will admit some of the categories lack activity, however I think the only reason for this is because everyone seems to over-use the General Chat section in my opinion.

If the General Chat wasn't here, every user would be forced to go into all the other categories and actually engage in debating/discussing something rather than asking the entire forums one question where there is no room for discussion or debate.

I like the idea of having a General Chat category, but it just seems over-used on Frihost. If everyone would post just as much in other categories as they do here, I think the forum discussion level would increase.

On a side note, it's interesting to see that you all are noticing a drop in the quality of new threads.


I'll put my hands up and admit that General Chat is a quick catch up points zone for me sometimes. I'm doing it at the moment if I'm completely honest, but I do read through the whole threads and make a sensible, and/or interesting reply where possible.

Some topics are questionable to be fair, but hey, that's forums for us, what I might think is a pointless question may be something that others are really interested in knowing.
There's always a place for General Chat though, but I might start looking at more specialist sections a bit more from now on Smile
Bluedoll
watersoul wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I only feel the same way when looking in the General Chat section.

When you look in other categories, there is usually some sort of discussion going on. Though I will admit some of the categories lack activity, however I think the only reason for this is because everyone seems to over-use the General Chat section in my opinion.

If the General Chat wasn't here, every user would be forced to go into all the other categories and actually engage in debating/discussing something rather than asking the entire forums one question where there is no room for discussion or debate.

I like the idea of having a General Chat category, but it just seems over-used on Frihost. If everyone would post just as much in other categories as they do here, I think the forum discussion level would increase.

On a side note, it's interesting to see that you all are noticing a drop in the quality of new threads.
Not everyone that wants to post wants to get into a tense debate or discussion which might exist in some threads! I do see that the points system is a factor in posting, after all it is a system you just can not ignore. However, it is there and for the sake of just posting, it is nice to be able to post something from time to time that just fits into the general category.

I think posting is very different for everyone and members might want to consider that not every ‘friposter’ “what ever that is?” – craves to be pressured into meeting a particular standard by other ‘friposters’ other than adhering to common sense forum rules.

There is sometimes a tendency to complain, razz, or dis other posters for the kind of post they do make, but perhaps it should be in the back of everyone’s mind if someone makes an attempt to post at all then that is something which is being promoted by frihost? Not everyone has the same agenda though.

I'll put my hands up and admit that General Chat is a quick catch up points zone for me sometimes. I'm doing it at the moment if I'm completely honest, but I do read through the whole threads and make a sensible, and/or interesting reply where possible.

Some topics are questionable to be fair, but hey, that's forums for us, what I might think is a pointless question may be something that others are really interested in knowing.
There's always a place for General Chat though, but I might start looking at more specialist sections a bit more from now on Smile
speeDemon
When there are a certain number of posts in a thread, and you just don't want to go through all of the views and thoughts, nor do you want to post something directly to the first post(feels a bit like breaking the current conversations, and a bit stupid) then you just don't post at all.. or you just end up posting something that someone already mentioned..
Bluedoll
If someone makes a point and you agree with it but it already got mentioned .. won’t post? If the topic because it is a long post is heading in a new direction away from the original post, won’t post? If the new topic developing is interesting but you don’t want to fully research the topic from the beginning.. won’t post?

I get the impression that it sounds a little like a lot of reasons why a member shouldn’t post than why the reasons they should?

I read at least the first and last post and more if I am interested then post because I simply like posting on frihost.
watersoul
Bluedoll wrote:
If someone makes a point and you agree with it but it already got mentioned .. won’t post? If the topic because it is a long post is heading in a new direction away from the original post, won’t post? If the new topic developing is interesting but you don’t want to fully research the topic from the beginning.. won’t post?

I get the impression that it sounds a little like a lot of reasons why a member shouldn’t post than why the reasons they should?

I read at least the first and last post and more if I am interested then post because I simply like posting on frihost.


I'd second that but if the topic headline has grabbed me enough to read the first post, I've already decided to reply myself by then and usually read the rest of it, including the different slants that replies sometimes take.
I tend to "go back to the original post/question" in my reply first though, and then make a further reply if another comment has made me think differently, or interests me etc
Ghost900
I also have felt that way, generally I reply once and then don't go back to the topic. Some topics I read the posts and sometimes even write my own post before simply backing out of the topic for whatever reason.

I am not really a forum posting person so this is actually the only forum I post on other then guild sites for MMO games where I know the people pretty well after playing with them so long.
deanhills
I don't know how one can really post if one has not had a look at the opening posting of the thread, and at least followed most of the discussion in it. But yes, maybe the General Chat Forum can be more forgiving with less of a feeling of compulsion to read through every nitty gritty in every posting, unless you are really captivated by the discussion. Right in the moment I enjoy posting in the General Chat Forum the most, as it is relaxed and easy. The threads don't go on for more than two pages and the postings are nice and short and easy to read and follow.

Some of the postings in the Religion Forum are just way too long. There also seem to be quite a number of one on one discussions, so no space to make a comment, and even if there were, to work through those reams of one on one discussions can be quite painful unless you are really into the topic of the discussion.
speeDemon
Bluedoll wrote:
I read at least the first and last post and more if I am interested then post because I simply like posting on frihost.


I just feel that posting something already mentioned in a way shows that you just want the points.. and I don't have that kind of an intention, I only post if I can add something new..
Bluedoll
I can see your point speeDemon and agree with it to a point. There is no use boring readers with the same things just being repeated over and over. I get that. However, sometimes repetition can be good to bring attention to important points or in showing just what you believe to be true.

As far as any actually posting is concerned I like to think that if I take the time to post, even if it is something that has already gotten mentioned, it should be appreciated. After all I might be expressing the same topic in a slightly different way or from another perspective even. And that is an asset.

I don’t believe that ever post I make must be something absolutely new. Rather, I feel I made the effort to post and I thought that was the purpose of the whole activity.

Of course, there are going to be exceptions to this but overall I don’t want to hang on the keyboard afraid to type into a message board because someone might have posted something similar.

I do get what you are saying though. Adding to posts or making new posts, you can do a search and see if there is an answer to a question you have. That works well if the reason you are posting is to obtain information. Not all topics are like that?

However, the topic of this post ‘all these topics and nothing to talk about” I think is about posting blocks. That is, this posted topic is about reason’s not to post? I think the more a person puts reasons not to post in their mind the less they will post or contribute and maybe just stop, altogether.

A person could throw up their hands in frustration and say, “forget it everything that I possibly could ever write has been written before.”

This in fact may be true. Therefore don’t post at all, rather search for it, on the internet even and write nothing! No, I don’t think that is for me.

I totally agree that some people might want to abuse a system in place and find ways to post just for points only however if someone really wants to make an effort to post, why not?

I like reading other peoples posts if it is an interesting topic for me but as far as posting is concerned the way I look at it if I have something to write, I am going to write it. Why sit and worry about all the technicalities?

I would encourage you to post as often as you desire and have fun with it. I am sure you have interesting things to express.
ocalhoun
speeDemon wrote:
When there are a certain number of posts in a thread, and you just don't want to go through all of the views and thoughts, nor do you want to post something directly to the first post(feels a bit like breaking the current conversations, and a bit stupid) then you just don't post at all.. or you just end up posting something that someone already mentioned..


That is a bit of a conundrum, if the thread has many pages of replies...

I will admit, sometimes I solve that problem by just replying to something in one of the most recent posts, though that sometimes sidetracks the discussion.
Even then, though, I'll at least scan over the rest of the replies before posting...
ProfessorY91
I'm just going to point out that I can draw parallels between the comments in the OP's first post and being undecided in college. You get someplace, and you find out that you can muck around for a little bit and attempt to be entertaining, but you quickly lost motivation to continue to post if you don't have a goal in mind. I think Frihost is as much about specializing as it is about posting in new topics. Everyone here has their niche - mine is in the Computers/Technology/Programming forums, because its what I specialize in, and what I do for a living.

Welcome to Frihost, find your place, and find something to say. Its kind of up to you to turn a thread into a discussion. Don't troll, but be provocative.

And I'll stop there.

Y.
deanhills
speeDemon wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:
I read at least the first and last post and more if I am interested then post because I simply like posting on frihost.


I just feel that posting something already mentioned in a way shows that you just want the points.. and I don't have that kind of an intention, I only post if I can add something new..
I've seen a lot of that in the Religion Forum, but completely in a different form and perhaps deserving of the points. I don't know whether you have noticed, but people come and go all the time and quite a number of new people would start topics that have been debated at length before, and then the golden oldie stalwarts would "very patiently" explain the same things over again such as what atheism is, theism, agnosticim etc. Probably like earning community service points? Smile
ankitdatashn
eday2010 wrote:
Does anyone else find it hard to come here and post replies to topics? I find .....


hahaha, well as they say beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, it holds true almost everywhere and frihost is no exception to that, you can see there are some frihost maniacs who are so addicted to it that they can have their opinion on almost every topic on frihost(elite frihosters!). While their are some poor guys like me who find it hard to have any opinions, I am not saying I dont like frihost but I find it quite difficult to come here again and again to post, A long miss and I keep worrying about my hosting account. So it depends from person to person about how much they can talk impromptu on any topic Smile
Insanity
I think that the nature of FriHost is that it encourages people to simply post and then walk away, and come back again next week when they're again out of points. I mean, the system does a fairly good job of ensuring that people will always be posting more, if only because people don't want to lose their free hosting and whatever they may have one this host. However, it does promote a forum that turns out to be nothing more than a gathering ground for people to post randomly and sporadically. It is especially salient when you compare this forum to ones that people post on because they are actually interested in the topic. On this forum, you have many people who are simply posting for the sake of posting, and it makes it difficult to find the more thought-provoking discussions that are interesting to read and follow.

Though I must admit, I fall prey to this many times.
milleja46
I agree with that statement, it's true. I've had alot of trouble finding places to post...
sudipbanerjee
again I am not finding any topic to write so I am writing here.
goutha
It's a general problem in almost all forums of Frihost.

The motivation is lower than it was few years ago. I think also that we miss new members that bring new topics, ideas and discussion.

My guess is that people do not really need hosting as it was in the past. You can now create a blog and post without paying for hosting it or finding free hosting.
eneka38
Sometimes I just scroll through all the available topics and I just don't know what to post. I end up reading every post but I just can't seem to come up with something. And now it makes me wonder if I would ever be able to make it to 350 coins.
Related topics
Family Guy or American Dad
Repeated topics and spam.
Gay movement is growing and it is Futile to fight or argue
Are atheists more likely to be fellons?
What is MORALITY, the concept? Let’s be philosophers.
why i am not so sure about reigion
Always a mod online?
Replying to introduction topics: READ
Subconscious...the reason for 90% of these topics
Email notification when someone quotes your comments?
Is there a 'general anti-Christian sentiment' in this forum?
Extended essay - Religion and reason.
Is it immoral to write a story where the characters suffer?
remnant of split topic. Left for reference only
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.