FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Portal 2

Dementei

Portal 2
Return to Aperture Laboratories for a new round of test chambers and new gameplay mechanics in Valve's sequel to their surprise hit, Portal.
Release Date: April 21, 2011
Platforms: PC, MAC, PS3, XBOX360
Publisher: Valve
Developer: Valve
Gamesite: http://www.thinkwithportals.com/
Genres: First-Person, Platformer, Puzzle
Gameplay: Single-player, Co-op
ESRB: RP

Plot:
Quote:
Portal 2 takes place hundreds of years after the first game. Despite her apparent destruction at the end of Portal, GLaDOS is "still alive". The player controls Chell, the same protagonist from Portal; retroactively patched just prior to the sequel's official announcement, the ending of the first game shows Chell being dragged away by an unseen figure with a robotic voice, where she has been placed in stasis over the years. The game will again take place in the Aperture Science Labs, untouched by human hands but overrun by decay and nature. The player will interact with many of the numerous personality cores (which were seen activating in Portal's conclusion), which have become active and become independent from GLaDOS in the intervening years, using the automated systems of Aperture Science to create their own microcosms within the facility. The cores themselves are only able to move through overhead rail systems. Chell is awoken by one of these, Wheatley, who has become concerned for the state of decay and seeks to correct it. Wheatley acts as the player's guide during the tutorial and initial stages. Soon, the two encounter the dormant GLaDOS and accidentally wake her; the computer accuses Chell of murdering her years ago. GLaDOS begins to rebuild the ruined facility, and puts Chell under more tests, stating "I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."

Gameplay:
Quote:
Portal 2 will continue to challenge the player by solving puzzles in test chambers within the Aperture Science Enrichment Center using the portal gun (the Aperture Science Hand-held Portal Device), a device that can create two portals connecting two surfaces across space. Players, as the silent protagonist Chell from Portal, solve puzzles by using these portals to move unconventionally between rooms or to use the ability to fling objects or themselves across a distance. The functionality of the gun has not changed between the games, but within Portal 2, players can take advantage of the bleeding of other physical effects through the portals.

Co-op gameplay:
Quote:
The game will include a two-player co-operative mode in addition to the single player mode. Both players control separate portal guns and can use the other player's portals as necessary; the second player's portals will be of a different color to help distinguish between the two sets. Because of the number of possible portal combinations, the test chambers that the players proceed through are much more difficult than the single-player campaign, encouraging the two players to work together. This includes complicated laser redirection using both series of portals, or working in two separate chambers, performing actions in their side of the chamber to allow the other player to progress in theirs. The game includes voice communication between players for this mode as well as split-screen for players playing locally. Online players will have the ability to temporarily enter a split-screen view to help coordinate actions. Players have the ability to place icons on the game's levels as a means of informing the other player what they need to do, and perform emotes with their partner, such as waving or hugging. Valve has stated that the co-operative campaign is about twice as long as the original campaign in Portal.

Portal 2 Videos - I advise watching them on YouTube, for the HD experience

Portal 2 Teaser HD

Portal 2 E3 2010 Gameplay Trailer HD

Portal 2 Co-op Teaser HD

Portal 2 is going to be no doubt a brilliant game with awesome puzzles, characters, features, and so much more. I am very excited, haha.. I laughed when Gabe Newell announced at E3 it will be available on PS3, after saying it was such a disappointing console and a total disaster. You can see that here. But anyhow, Portal 2..can't wait Very Happy
LostOverThere
Yeah, I'm extremely impressed by the art direction here. While Portal 1 was extremely fun, its visuals were servicable at best. Granted, that wasn't a problem because it was just a first person puzzler, but this looks so much more inspired. I really love the atmosphere they're pushing here - especially in regards to the lighting. Moody.
Dementei
Oh yes and Gabe even said, "Portal 2 will be the best game we have ever done." I really wish they would work on HL2: Episode 3, maybe after they get done with Portal 2..they should make EP3 the best game they have ever done.
weableandbob
So long as it's longer than the original Portal, I will be very happy.
Dementei
weableandbob wrote:
So long as it's longer than the original Portal, I will be very happy.

Yea as stated it will be a full length feature game.
driftingfe3s
I loved the first Portal. What I really liked the game was its humor, it was hilarious. After seeing some video of Portal 2, I was glad to see it was as funny. Just like someone else mentioned, the original Portal was a bit short, hopefully this one will be longer.

I'm also waiting for he next Half-life 2 installment. Valve sure takes their time with their games.
LostOverThere
Played through the original Portal a week ago. It took my an hour. Shocked

To be fair though, once you've played a puzzle game, it's quite easy to fly through it the second time round.
rayxzero
Graphics are good, I hope the gameplay too.. I should try out this game.
LostOverThere
rayxzero wrote:
Graphics are good, I hope the gameplay too.. I should try out this game.

Pity it wont be out until next year. Sad
kemal44
Good Game:)..PORTAL2.Really good Very Happy
LostOverThere
kemal44 wrote:
Good Game:)..PORTAL2.Really good Very Happy

You have a time machine? Amazing! Smile
Radar
Any thought that occurs to me that it might similarly be released for free on Steam is probably not realistic.
LostOverThere
Radar wrote:
Any thought that occurs to me that it might similarly be released for free on Steam is probably not realistic.

Yeah, that's definitely not going to happen. I guarantee it. Smile
nikjerry
I have played this gamer and I just want to say that I really like this game that much. The more thing that I want to say that I think they the biggest reason is that being a not very good gamer, who loses more often than wins in almost any online play, I beat Portal for the first time in a few hours, hands down.
[FuN]goku
Having played through the first Portal, and having nearly all of the achievements, this one looks like it should be really fun! I also tried that portal prelude, and managed to get through that as well, which was considerably challenging. Hopefully Portal 2 will be a bit harder, but other than that, the graphics look amazing. I'll definitely have to buy this on steam when it is released.
silverdown
This is gonna be SUper fun..... i really enjoyed the first.
anjolina99
I have played its demo version only. I really like its demo version that much and now I am planning to but the same game for my console. I like its all of the features as well as also its services and also its music system that much.
driftingfe3s
Looks like the game has been delayed two months and will be released on April 18, 2011.

LoL, sounds like typical Valve. Now... when is the next installment of Half-Life coming out?
william
Haha, whatever time it takes to make it as good or better than the first one, Valve can take. Please, just don't delay like Team Fortress 2. Laughing

The first game I played when I got the Orange Box was Portal, and I was hooked to it. It was fresh and unique, and remains one of my favorite games of all time. I will go ahead and admit that I haven't actually finished it. The only reasons being that I haven't had as much time to play games as I used to, and because I started Team Fortress 2 shortly afterwards, and I kind of got addicted. But, I will finish it before this comes out. Wink

As for Half Life 3, shorty after Valve released the Orange Box, I read somewhere that they said they were working on developing Half Life 3. And then I heard rumors that it would show up during E3 2010. Alas it didn't, but I think we can be sure that another one is coming.
driftingfe3s
william wrote:
Haha, whatever time it takes to make it as good or better than the first one, Valve can take. Please, just don't delay like Team Fortress 2. Laughing

The first game I played when I got the Orange Box was Portal, and I was hooked to it. It was fresh and unique, and remains one of my favorite games of all time. I will go ahead and admit that I haven't actually finished it. The only reasons being that I haven't had as much time to play games as I used to, and because I started Team Fortress 2 shortly afterwards, and I kind of got addicted. But, I will finish it before this comes out. Wink

As for Half Life 3, shorty after Valve released the Orange Box, I read somewhere that they said they were working on developing Half Life 3. And then I heard rumors that it would show up during E3 2010. Alas it didn't, but I think we can be sure that another one is coming.

If they are working on Half-Life 3 already they need to release Half-Life 2: Episode 3 already!

Episodes 1 and 2 started development at the same time by two different teams within Valve so I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on Half-Life 3 right now as well. Since the last installment was release 3 years ago they are probably updating graphics and such which is why it's taking some time.

It's funny how the whole point of releasing episodes was to get smaller releases out, but with faster release dates so that the gamers weren't left hanging. After the first 2 episodes Valve went off and did Orange Box then Left for Dead 1 then Left for Dead 2! Hopefully, these projects were strategically done first as technological stepping stones to help make the next Half-Life installments better.
ato784
I can't wait for the game to come out, the original was rather fun, and it was fun to just mess around in the game as well. here to hoping that it will not be another duke nukem forever! But it does not appear that it will be. And it looks awesome
LostOverThere
driftingfe3s wrote:
If they are working on Half-Life 3 already they need to release Half-Life 2: Episode 3 already!

Episodes 1 and 2 started development at the same time by two different teams within Valve so I wouldn't be surprised if they were working on Half-Life 3 right now as well. Since the last installment was release 3 years ago they are probably updating graphics and such which is why it's taking some time.

I think the suggestion was instead of doing Half-Life 2: Episode 3, to just go straight to making a full blown Half-Life 3 and close the story with that. That could explain the massive wait we've been experiencing, or maybe it's simply because Valve have been pumping out tons of other titles as of late.
Dementei
LostOverThere wrote:
driftingfe3s wrote:

I think the suggestion was instead of doing Half-Life 2: Episode 3, to just go straight to making a full blown Half-Life 3 and close the story with that. That could explain the massive wait we've been experiencing, or maybe it's simply because Valve have been pumping out tons of other titles as of late.

Yea they have a lot on their plates right now, they could be in development right now and are going to surprise us all with the news that it is on the way.. that would make my day. They are sorta letting the story of Half-life die and that's not good, I beat episode 2 like when it came out and I barely remember what happened at the end. Well here's something cool to watch, it's first person in Half-life 2 redone and looks amazing:

More info on video right here.
thegamingart
The best part about Portal 2 is the Move support and the cross platform play between the PS3 and PC versions. Also the PS3's Steam support and ability to link accounts with the privilege of downloading Portal 2 on your PC/Mac the minute you link them for free Very Happy
Dementei
Updated the release date for Portal 2, comes out April 21, 2011, which is this month and a little over 2 weeks away. I am pretty excited I must say.. anyone else pumped up for this?
LostOverThere
Oh yeah, I'm super pumped for Portal 2. I'm really interesting to see how they pull the multiplayer off. I should probably get around pre-ordering it sometime though.

Interested in seeing if they can top the song in Portal 1, too. Wink
driftingfe3s
Has anyone played it yet? I'm gonna play tomorrow after I get off school. I can't wait!
Dementei
I gotta say, Valve did an amazing job on this game.. I just beat it and I was blown away by their creativity, truly magnificent work. I advise for everyone to get it and play it, because you're missing out on one of the worlds greatest games ever. There are twists and turns in the story and lots of humor as well, everything was well thought of and was executed really well. Also.. one last thing, I've never seen Source look so good and used to more of its potential, more developers should start using Source.
LostOverThere
Dementei wrote:
I gotta say, Valve did an amazing job on this game.. I just beat it and I was blown away by their creativity, truly magnificent work. I advise for everyone to get it and play it, because you're missing out on one of the worlds greatest games ever. There are twists and turns in the story and lots of humor as well, everything was well thought of and was executed really well. Also.. one last thing, I've never seen Source look so good and used to more of its potential, more developers should start using Source.

You're right, the game is fantastic, but like you, what surprised me most was how impressive Source was. I mean, I know it's highly scalable, but wow. The lighting and shading in that blew me away. Very impressive.
achowles
I've completed the single player game now and I love it. Definitely a worth sequel. I don't know if it had quite the same level of impact on me as the first one, but then it would be one hell of an achievement if it had.

LostOverThere wrote:
Dementei wrote:

You're right, the game is fantastic, but like you, what surprised me most was how impressive Source was. I mean, I know it's highly scalable, but wow. The lighting and shading in that blew me away. Very impressive.

I found it to be a lot cleaner-looking than a lot of engines out there. It seems to be a craze right now to have a variety of fuzzy-looking effects going on. These might actually be beneficial on the comparatively low res consoles. Especially for masking low res textures. But when you're running a game at 1680x1050 (or above) with detailed textures then I find it detrimental.

The Source engine certainly still holds its own. But the level sizes are still fairly small. I don't know if that's because of the console versions or, more likely, an engine limitation. I haven't seen one source engine game with particularly large levels.
chartcentral
Here's something interesting related to Portal 2:

The Escapist wrote:
Teacher Cancels Class Because of Portal 2 Launch

So many students called in "sick" to school today that a teacher was forced to cancel class thanks to Portal.

Don't lie - you've called in sick to school (or to work) because a game came out that you really wanted to play, haven't you? Whether you've come down with Halotosis, Diabluenza or Falloutitis, it's always the same: "Hey boss, I'm - cough - really sick, I - hack - won't be in today. I'll see you tomorrow."

But little do we know that our teachers (or employers) are usually on to our games. Case in point the text you see here to the right: When enough students just happened to call in sick to this teacher's class that just happened to fall on the release date of the highly-anticipated Portal 2, he (she?) was able to put two and two together.

The bad news is that said teacher knows that people were calling in sick for Portal 2. The good news is that the teacher decided to cancel class because of it, presumably so that he could go play Portal 2. The average news is that there's a makeup lecture to compensate for missing this class period, but hey, at least it doesn't fall on the release of Portal 2.

Source: Escapist Magazine
LostOverThere
Haha, that's very amusing! I'm quite a fan of this one too:

Source
Dementei
achowles wrote:
The Source engine certainly still holds its own. But the level sizes are still fairly small. I don't know if that's because of the console versions or, more likely, an engine limitation. I haven't seen one source engine game with particularly large levels.

I make maps for Source and I know all about optimizing them. Source is very easy to run on almost any machine that has at least a GeForce 5500, which even most of todays onboard GPU's can surpass. We all know this, but the reason why most Source games don't have large open areas as often is because they are much harder to optimize and only people with newer hardware could run them. Source needs hallways, doorways, and corridors to utilize any optimization at hand, without any of those, the map would be rendered as a whole no matter where you are and those with lower end machines wouldn't do so well.

Source I think uses fairly old optimization techniques, but it still works out as seen in any game by Valve.. all the work they do is highly optimized. Here is a link to Hint brushes, the most common optimizer, if you are interested in that sort of thing.
LostOverThere
Dementei wrote:
I make maps for Source and I know all about optimizing them. Source is very easy to run on almost any machine that has at least a GeForce 5500, which even most of todays onboard GPU's can surpass. We all know this, but the reason why most Source games don't have large open areas as often is because they are much harder to optimize and only people with newer hardware could run them. Source needs hallways, doorways, and corridors to utilize any optimization at hand, without any of those, the map would be rendered as a whole no matter where you are and those with lower end machines wouldn't do so well.

Source I think uses fairly old optimization techniques, but it still works out as seen in any game by Valve.. all the work they do is highly optimized. Here is a link to Hint brushes, the most common optimizer, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

That's incredibly interesting. Thanks for posting! I personally find it impressive how good Source still looks, considering it's a 7 year old engine with only 2 major revisions!
drunkenkoz
LostOverThere wrote:
Dementei wrote:

That's incredibly interesting. Thanks for posting! I personally find it impressive how good Source still looks, considering it's a 7 year old engine with only 2 major revisions!

Well the most recent updates to Counter-Strike: Source have been bringing the game downhill. The game still looks good and it's fun to play, but for the modding community it hasn't been fun.
Insanity
It's not as good as Portal 1, but still an amazing game.
Bluedoll
This looks like a very cool game, specially interested in the co-operative mode. Little confused on platforms. Anyone know what you need to run it on a PC?
Dementei
LostOverThere wrote:

Yea for sure, but take a look at the Call of Duty series how they continue to use an older engine as well, every CoD game uses the IW engine based off of the id Tech 3 engine which is based off of the Quake engine, which the first CoD used. So technically in Black Ops they are still using the same engine from the first Call of Duty, of course with heavy modifications. You can read about it here. That's some really amazing improvements.. as is Source, which I hope they will greatly improve the engine for Episode 3 if they ever get around to it.

Bluedoll wrote:
This looks like a very cool game, specially interested in the co-operative mode. Little confused on platforms. Anyone know what you need to run it on a PC?

Minimum:

Intel Processor - Pentium 4 3.0GHz
AMD Processor - Sempron 3600+
Nvidia Graphics Card - GeForce 315 512MB
ATI Graphics Card - Radeon HD 3600 Series
RAM (Memory) - 1 GB
Hard Disk Space - 8 GB
Direct X - 9
Go to www.canyourunit.com to see if you can.

With the platforms, are you confused about the PS3 and PC gameplay? Because now PS3 players can play with PC players, it's pretty cool.
LostOverThere
Co-op for me was actually a bit of a let down. Sure, it was wicked fun, but so short, and I'm very disappointed its run via P2P. Even with my friends that live within a few kilometres of me managed to get around a 500 ping. Sad

Australia has awful internet...
Dementei
LostOverThere wrote:
Co-op for me was actually a bit of a let down. Sure, it was wicked fun, but so short, and I'm very disappointed its run via P2P. Even with my friends that live within a few kilometres of me managed to get around a 500 ping. Sad

Ah jeez, that sucks man, I'm sure you can do something about that though.
LostOverThere
Dementei wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

Move to Europe?
Dementei
LostOverThere wrote:
Dementei wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:

Move to Europe?

Or America! Very Happy
We aren't as great anymore though so not sure if you should bother. Crying or Very sad
Flakky
achowles wrote:

The Source engine is capable of large scale levels. The big deal with valve is that they do not want to produce large levels because it can not run smoothly on low-end computers.

Models have quite a low res and textures and below average resolution. Valve optimises everything and I play Valve games with that in mind.

Valve can not make environments with huge polygons as well because the LOD models would/should collide different compared to the full detail models. The result is that the game is kept low on graphics. If you look at the graphics options in Portal 2 you can see that there are not many settings. If I can recall well enough there are no options to add geometry in worlds.

The only thing Valve changes for high end computers is the option to allow pixel shaders, AA and AF. Which is fairly limited.
Flakky
The source engine is quite powerful and is capable of rendering huge levels if desired. The reason Valve games feature small levels is due to the target audience the games are marketed for. Almost all computers are capable of running a Valve game. This impeccable expectation the gamers have of Valve are way too high. This is due to the fact that most gamers own a gamer PC. Valve makes their games scalable enough for the casual gamers which do not have a gamer PC but still want to play the game.

Another reason I came up with (hence the double post, to start a discussion about this), is the fact that Valve decided to release their games for the major consoles as well. Bear in mind that these consoles have been on the market for more than 5 years and are heavily outdated. The entire reason that next-gen gaming has stopped is because more and more developers release their games for consoles. The few developers that stick with the PC and develop better graphics have a hard task convincing a shrinking audience to upgrade their computer as these gamers only have one or two games that require an expensive upgrade.

Valve is creating high quality games whilst taking the old hardware into consideration. The fact that Portal 2 managed to graphically surprise me is probably because of the lack of graphical progress the gaming industry has made.

On a side note, Epic Games devotes their time primarily in creating the next gaming experience focused on graphics for the PC.
Here is a video of real time computer graphics and you should realize this would be accessible to the majority of gamers if there were no such things as PS3s and 360s
http://youtu.be/FMxLa6rGGqk
Error667
It's one of the best game on his platform !
achowles
The coop in this game is probably even better than the single player campaign. I say probably because the single player is not the kind of thing you can easily describe other things as being better than.

Dementei wrote:
Source needs hallways, doorways, and corridors to utilize any optimization at hand, without any of those, the map would be rendered as a whole no matter where you are and those with lower end machines wouldn't do so well.

Well, that certainly explains a few things. Thanks, Dementei. I wonder if the Unreal engine or that Stalker engine have similar limitations? I'd imagine it must be somewhat true of Stalker or they wouldn't have decided they had to split up the game into separate maps despite their original intentions to have one massive playing area.