FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


A discussion about RAID





Aredon
I recently built myself a new machine, and my roommate had warned me that the bottleneck to most machines, mine included, would be my hard drive. Well I got my system built and benchmarked her, and sure enough the only thing holding my machine back at this point is the hard drive. So, being the nerd that I am, I would like to invest in a couple more hard drives at some point and set up a RAID.

So I would like to hear the pros and cons of a few possible RAID setups. The three that I've been looking at most in my research are 0, 10, and 5. What do you guys think is best for a gaming rig?
jwellsy
Invest in a Solid State Drive for the OS.
Aredon
A friend of mine had done that, but I'd still somewhat like the security of parody. Because I actually do a lot of web design from my computer too, and it would be a real shame to lose that data to drive failure. So I guess my question would be: which is the best performing raid that has parody for data security, and how much of a performance loss will I really notice between parody and non.
r4inm4ker
Aredon wrote:
I recently built myself a new machine, and my roommate had warned me that the bottleneck to most machines, mine included, would be my hard drive. Well I got my system built and benchmarked her, and sure enough the only thing holding my machine back at this point is the hard drive. So, being the nerd that I am, I would like to invest in a couple more hard drives at some point and set up a RAID.

So I would like to hear the pros and cons of a few possible RAID setups. The three that I've been looking at most in my research are 0, 10, and 5. What do you guys think is best for a gaming rig?


why do you think RAID setup will be beneficial for gaming? i don't think it is, at all. You won't gain any noticeable performance increase by using RAID, IMHO. The main purpose of RAID setup is to provide the backup system and data loss prevention. For better performance, I agree with jwellsy, you should use SSD (solid state drive), and more / speedier RAM so that the OS can put most of the needed files into the memory.
Aredon
Well as I said it is not only for gaming, I also need the data security provided by parody since my main source of income is the files on my computer. Losing them would be very bad, which is why I was considering RAID 5 until I had the money for a SSD. From my understanding I would gain some read time (faster game load times) and lose some write time (parody takes time to write). For a trade off of about 1.5 read to .5 write instead of 1 to 1.

In any case I would like for this to be a discussion about RAID, not so much whether or not I should have a solid state hardrive in my PC. While I appreciate the input, it's a bit off topic. Smile
ocalhoun
r4inm4ker wrote:

why do you think RAID setup will be beneficial for gaming? i don't think it is, at all. You won't gain any noticeable performance increase by using RAID, IMHO. The main purpose of RAID setup is to provide the backup system and data loss prevention.

That's only true for mirroring RAID.
Other types of RAID can give a significant performance boost.

For a relatively inexpensive solution, I would put all vital data (OS and important files) on a traditional drive, then put files used by games on a 2-drive striping RAID system. That gives you the best speed boost for your buck, and all important data can stay relatively safe on the main drive.

Now, for something a bit more spendy, 5, 10 or 0+1, with at least four identical drives. All of those methods are very close in performance -- which one is best out of those will just depend on what you're using it for (small or big files?) (number of drives?) (random access or linear?), and deciding intelligently between them can get extremely technical. Even a 'wrong' choice out of that group of 3 will be perfectly fine though, the performance differences between them are minuscule in most cases.
If you feel like spending the money, get a LOT of smaller, fast drives, and you can make it to where the motherboard or RAID hardware is the bottleneck in drive access, not the drives.

You also need to find out if the bottleneck will be the drives themselves, or the data connection to the drives. If it's the connection, then you want to have a separate connection for each drive, or you won't see much speed benefit.
4 drives, each with a separate SATA port: very fast.
4 drives, sharing two IDE ports: better than single, but might not be fully utilized.
4 drives, all sharing the same SCDI connection: possibly even slower than just a single drive.
4 solid state drives in RAID configuration: your motherboard won't be able to keep up ^.^

Oh, and on a side note, make sure your computer's power supply can handle the load from the multiple drives. I once blew up a power supply by going overboard with extra drives.
menino
Yes, I agree that Raid is mainly to be used to prevent data loss.
Raid 10 and 0+1 is more expensive,i.e. it uses a lot of the identical disks and gives you only about a 3rd of the total capacity, but gives speed.

yes, SSD would be the best solution for the storage, although it is much more expensive.

Another alternative, would be to buy raid sata controller cards, but the bottleneck will still be the bus speed that goes through these hard disks via the controller card.

Good luck though!
Aredon
ocalhoun wrote:

For a relatively inexpensive solution, I would put all vital data (OS and important files) on a traditional drive, then put files used by games on a 2-drive striping RAID system. That gives you the best speed boost for your buck, and all important data can stay relatively safe on the main drive.


At that point wouldn't it be better to have RAID 5 on the three drive setup? Since if any drive fails the raid can be rebuilt? That would mean important data on the single drive would be safer spread across the three, and you get a read boost to boot. Rolling Eyes
ocalhoun
Aredon wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

For a relatively inexpensive solution, I would put all vital data (OS and important files) on a traditional drive, then put files used by games on a 2-drive striping RAID system. That gives you the best speed boost for your buck, and all important data can stay relatively safe on the main drive.


At that point wouldn't it be better to have RAID 5 on the three drive setup? Since if any drive fails the raid can be rebuilt? That would mean important data on the single drive would be safer spread across the three, and you get a read boost to boot. Rolling Eyes

You may be able to save money by buying smaller drives that way. The ones in the RAID array or the primary drive might not need to be as large as the others.
(Example, instead of 3 50G drives, you might only need one 60G and two 10G's, which may be significantly cheaper... Or you might need only one 20G drive and two 60G drives.)
Also, sometimes you can get RAID 1 or 0 only RAID controllers cheaper than controllers capable of 5, or other more exotic options. And, many SATA RAID controllers have only two connections, so having more than two in the array may be more expensive, or force you to use IDE.
--Which brings up an important point. RAID 10 and 1+0 and even more exotic arrangements may be useful, but the average RAID controller can only do 1, 0, or 5. You might have to spend extra to get something other than those three.
Related topics
create portuguese discussion....
islam is...
Not Voting is Reasonable for People Who Want Freedom
Illegal Downloading, Serious Discussion
General Music Discussion
What is the diffence between Raid 0 and Raid 1?
G3 and Tiger Raid issue, Help
Trouble installing Discussion Boards
Trying to restore my discussion board.
Debate, discussion and argument – worth your time?
Accessing phpMyAdmin
Discussion ABOUT the “What is morality?...” thread
For Religionists: Which Holy Book Do You Subscribe To?
"Discussion" -poem
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.