FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Ants!! help me!





Da Rossa
Hi all!
I don't know whether this is the right rea to post this since I realize this forum is about animal care. What about animal extermination? Let me explain.

From two or three months until now my apartment has been filled with thousands of an annoying, small, crouding species of ant. I can't say the species, of course; even taking pics of them is difficult. They're everywhere.

I even get embarassed when I receive guests and feel like I haven't cleaned my home as well as I should be doing. even on my keyboard they are. Any cup left with some liquid will attract them in a matter of minutes.

What can I do to make them disappear for good? Just keeping the apartment tidy up doesn't seem to be a solution because of the large population they've gathered. I fear about the next generation. Please tell me a good solution that would be compatible with a dog (Shih-Tzu) in here and preferably the substance, not the product, since things on the market are likely to be different from here (Brazil) to there (elsewhere).
jwellsy
Quote:
Any cup left with some liquid will attract them in a matter of minutes.


Water is the key. They are looking not only for food but also water. Check under your sinks and in your crawlspace if you can get into it. Make sure there are no water leaks, even in the drain lines. Ants love to nest near some kind of a water source. Stop the leaks and dry up the wet spots and you'll kill the nest, then you can drive off/kill the stragglers with sprays, boric acid powder or whatever.
soljarag
thats pretty crazy.....


Last week one of my co-workers left an open pack of crackers in his desk over the lunch break... after he got back he kept getting bit by something... so he opened his desk drawer and it was covered in ants
ocalhoun
Since you live in an apartment, it may be that the ants are attracted to a neighbor's unit and will be around no matter how clean yours is. You may be able to get the apartment manager to have the neighboring units cleaned up, or even have them take care of the ant problem for you.

There are some ant poisons that are intended to be carried back by worker ants and fed to the queen.
If you can find one of those, just leave some of it out where the dog can't get it. It may take repeated applications, but eventually the whole nest will die off no matter how well hidden it is.

Though, I would ask that you question the moral aspect, to look at the issue of if the gains from this will justify mass murder.
Personally, if they are the kind of ant that doesn't sting people, I would live and let live.
However, if they attacked me, I would attack back.
nigam
what we do to the ants of not keeping back in my unit is to mark a line of it...we have a chalk here but this is for small insects something that they don't have to cross the line....and its true...ants can't climb up, and can't cross the line either....
saratdear
I did read a technique somewhere, but I haven't tested it myself:

Fill a jar with some honey or something really sweet. Get all the ants inside, immerse in hot/boiling water. Voila! End of ants. I don't think it's gonna work fully, though.
Da Rossa
Thanks, thanks, all tips noted, please keep the tips coming! this forum is nice because we can see solutions from many parts of the world Very Happy
ocalhoun
saratdear wrote:

Fill a jar with some honey or something really sweet. Get all the ants inside, immerse in hot/boiling water. Voila! End of ants. I don't think it's gonna work fully, though.

Yes, that won't be a permanent solution at all.
It will probably make the problem worse in the long run, because, 1) they will be attracted to the honey, you'll attract more ants than you kill, and 2) some of them may be able to take honey back to the nest without falling in, which means that they'll be able to produce more ants to replace the ones you boil.
Insanity
Clean up your house/apartment whatever. They only exist because you're too messy. If that doesn't work there are some good natural solutions that don't involve mass quantities of commericially produced industrial strength poison that might or might not kill you
coolclay
Dear Insanity,
Don't be rude. The OP already stated they cleaned everything up.

I have never been a fan of insecticides because they are A. Bad for you, your pets, and B. Bad for the environment. There are lots of "green" alternatives that work as well.

Diatomaceous earth is my favorite because it combines 2 of my favorite things (fossils + plankton) into an organic pesticide that is actually quite effective. Sprinkle it in any cracks you can find, under your sink (after removing water sources). Trace where the ants are coming from by following their trails, and then sprinkle it wherever they are coming from. Then if they start coming from somewhere else repeat.

The other key in combination is to remove the reason they are there! Water, food whatever.
ocalhoun
coolclay wrote:
Dear Insanity,
Don't be rude. The OP already stated they cleaned everything up.


... and also mentioned living in an apartment.
There's no real way to force the neighboring apartments to be as clean as yours, and if your neighbors are attracting ants, they'll visit your apartment as well.
deanhills
Da Rossa wrote:
Thanks, thanks, all tips noted, please keep the tips coming! this forum is nice because we can see solutions from many parts of the world Very Happy
OK Da Rossa, here's mine. I live in the Middle East as you probably know by now :>) We REALLY have problems with small ants in our compound however some of ours were sorted out almost right at the beginning, and everyone doing the same, which is quite a well known remedy, also have the same results - called ant bait. We need to renew what we do once every six months or so, but it works. We saw ants coming back again just before we went on holidays in July (well after the 6-month period of the previous paste), applied the bait, and as sure as cookies when we returned, they were GONE!

They call it ant bait. I'm sure you must have some in your stores. You may have to crouch low, as they always seem to be hidden away in the bottom shelf, but most of the bait we have have been imported from China, and I'm almost certain they must be exporting this to South America as well. The bait is usually in tooth paste size boxes, come in a tube that rolls down, and you then use the paste in one strip against the edge of the floors/walls, especially on the outside where the ants can come in. We don't apply any of the bait in our kitchen, just outside and inside of the front door as well as our verandah. The last paste we got were like pooh colour and didn't look that great especially since it grows darker after as well, but we're not complaining. All that matters is that it works. Also for cockroaches.
Da Rossa
Wow, I actually had no idea you lived in the ME! What's your nationality by the way?

About the ant bait: I've never seen such a thing here in Brazil... I must research a little in the pharmacies and stores alike. But what concerns me is that you said it works against cockroaches as well, what makes me think it will work against my dog too! Once I accidentally locked him in the bathroom, where the maid had applied poison for (I don't know the name of that aracnidean that parasites cows, horses and dogs). When I released him, he was beaten by the toxin, but survived. Some moments of horror for him Sad

@ocalhoun
Quote:
Though, I would ask that you question the moral aspect, to look at the issue of if the gains from this will justify mass murder.
Personally, if they are the kind of ant that doesn't sting people, I would live and let live.
However, if they attacked me, I would attack back.


I don't thing this I'll come close to a mass murder, considering the # of ants not in entire Earth, but in my building alone. They're not only inconvenient but they infest our food and drinks too. Like I said, if I leave a cup of water on my desk, leave for ten minutes and come back, there will be at least 30 of them. Not healthy to drink that water anymore.
iman
use a trap, then kill a lot of them all of once using boiling water.
or trace where they're coming from and kill the queen. Very Happy
recked
throw bread crumbs everywhere, then grab a huge torch and burn the hells out of em.
Da Rossa
recked wrote:
throw bread crumbs everywhere, then grab a huge torch and burn the hells out of em.


I thought about that, but this has the inconvenience of leaving black spots on the walls, ceiling and floor Sad

Quote:
use a trap, then kill a lot of them all of once using boiling water.
or trace where they're coming from and kill the queen. Very Happy


This trap would be bread crumbs like recked stated, or a bit of suggar every one meter? Finding the queen is rather difficult...
ocalhoun
Da Rossa wrote:


Quote:
use a trap, then kill a lot of them all of once using boiling water.
or trace where they're coming from and kill the queen. Very Happy


This trap would be bread crumbs like recked stated, or a bit of suggar every one meter? Finding the queen is rather difficult...

And likely impossible in an apartment, because the nest might be in somebody else's apartment, not yours.

Just find some of that poison that's meant to be carried back to the queen... Then the worker ants will find the queen for you.
If you're worried about your pets, there's a simple solution:
1: Put the poison inside a plastic jar (or any other container you can modify appropriately).
2: Make small holes in the jar, big enough for ants to carry bits of the poison through, but no larger than needed for that.
3: Leave the jar out where the ants will find it, but your pets won't, or put something heavy on top of it so your pet can't move the jar.
4: Only leave the jar out when you can supervise your pet -- just in case the pet decides to eat ants that are leaving the jar. If the ants congregate on food as quickly as you say, this shouldn't be hard.
Flakky
You might want to exterminate them one at a time. Fill a cup with a teensy bit of syrup. And kill every ant inside with boiling water when the cup is taken over.

Boiled water is a great way to exterminate them as they will literaly burn.
inuyasha
That's really awful! I hate ants most as well. Is there anything sweet hidden in your home? Or something like meat or other foods? Clearly, ants can't appear if there's nothing for them to eat. Pesticides may be of help, though you may have to leave home for a while since the smell isn't good.
BigGeek
Here you go, the greatest tip I have ever received.

I do not know about Brazil because I have never lived there but if it is in any way like the US, you should be able to pull this off for free.

Check out your work if you work in an office, or if they supply coffee and or tea at work, most coffee shops, have those little blue packets of "Nutra Sweet" "Splenda" works as well, but not quite as good.

Grab a few packets take them home and find the places where the ants are coming in, to the best of your ability, sprinkle it along base boards, under sinks, along door ways, so on and so forth.

The ants will take it back to the queen, and in short order they will all be gone Shocked

It is safe for human consumption, so they say, and if the dog gets into it, a one time dose won't hurt him in the least. So everyone but the ants are safe.

Bet Monsanto didn't put that on their label? Very Happy
gverutes
I agree with the first post. I had ants in Southern California and it was always during fall time. They were looking for water because it was so dry outside. For me, the traditional ant traps worked well. I found the areas that they were coming into the house and I placed them at the point of entry. Also, don't leave food around -- on kitchen counters, living room, and take out the trash whenever possible.
goutha
Go to your local home depot or walmart and you'll find several solutions for ants invasion. It costs about 3$ to buy three a traps.

Here is how it looks like : http://www.millenniumpestcontrol.co.uk/graphics/products/antstop_baitstation.jpg
Da Rossa
inuyasha wrote:
That's really awful! I hate ants most as well. Is there anything sweet hidden in your home? Or something like meat or other foods? Clearly, ants can't appear if there's nothing for them to eat. Pesticides may be of help, though you may have to leave home for a while since the smell isn't good.


Then it's not an option because my dog would be far more sensitive to it. Sad He would be able to sniff it days after... he almost died once...

But the two most noted tips were the boiling water and the "package to queen". I'll look for it here in Brazil. Tks!

Quote:
Go to your local home depot or walmart and you'll find several solutions for ants invasion. It costs about 3$ to buy three a traps.

Here is how it looks like : http://www.millenniumpestcontrol.co.uk/graphics/products/antstop_baitstation.jpg


Will look for something similar in here, tks!
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Hobbies and Animals

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.