FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Python books

mrblah
I am trying to learn some Python. I have some perl experience. I have been going over the Learning Python book and figuring stuff out. I was wondering if anyone would recomend another book for Python? I was thinking of getting the Python cookbook.
oktaylust
dandelion
See also: Dive into Python (online version of the book recommended by oktaylust).
careyd
Learning python is a pretty good book. Thats what I learned off (currently still learning)

The python cookbook is excellent, as a reference. It goes more in depth then the online version. I constantly find myself thumbing through it when I want to know how to do something.

I'm not sure what platform you're on, but "Python Programming on Win32" by Mark Hammond is an excelent book for python on windows. Mark Hammond is like the godfather of python programming on windows lol

Although I don't have it, I heard having the "Python Standard Library" by Fredrik Lundh is a valuable reference.

I've also heard "Programming Python" by Mark Lutz is good to read after reading "Learning Python"

Besides those there are also other "nitch" type books depending on what you want to do. For instance I have "Python & XML" for some work I needed to do. I've seen all types of different books including game programming with python.

Hope this helped some

-Dave
mrblah
Thanks for the help! I think I'm ordering the cookbook and I'll check out "Dive into Python"