FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What are Coins??

saratdear
What's this new field I see under points and frih$ saying 'coins'? Let me guess..is it something about the new domains for posting thing Bondings was telling about?

EDIT:
Here is the post about coins Bondings made - http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-119180.html
And here is what they are going to be used for - http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-119181.html
Peterssidan
I was just to ask the same thing. Hope it's something useful Wink
truespeed
Does coins mean the end of frihs? If coins have a value and firh don't,then frih will be even more meaningless than they already are.
sonam
truespeed wrote:
Does coins mean the end of frihs? If coins have a value and firh don't,then frih will be even more meaningless than they already are.

I don't think so. I think this is in correlation with contests for free domain. But maybe I am wrong. Laughing

Sonam
Bondings
Rumor has it might be something new and exciting. Dancing
wombatrpgs
Bondings wrote:

I think that was assumed. Now we just need to find out what that might be...!
escritor
His blog is called "Bondings World"... doesn't anybody see the correlation with Super Mario World?! The coins mean he's going to launch an MMORPG game based on Mario! Dancing
saratdear
Bondings wrote:

We can't wait! I thought there might be an official announcement anytime, but seems like I'll have to wait. Sad
k_s_baskar
Just watched. may be for domains i think.
Bondings
Unfortunately you'll have to wait for a few days before the announcement. In the mean time you can all guess what it is intended to be for. Very Happy
william
Aw, quit teasing us. Razz

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us.
Peterssidan
Frih$ and Coins both sound like some kind of money but they must have different purpose. I have a guess.. Coins is for buying different kind of webhosting stuff, like extra space, extra bandwidth, etc. You earn coins by posting or maybe by being voted on by other members or both. You can also get coins by paying real money through paypal.

Note: This post has nothing to do with what I want. It's just a guess.
zenama
My guess is that coins are the rewards for the posts with the most lovable compliments for the owner of the Frihost.

Very Happy
Nemesis234
frihost arcade? would make sense for coins to be used.

and as for buying a domain via frihost surely that would use frih$?
AftershockVibe
Bondings has been planning an Frihost anniversary party for years now. There is only one explanation for the requirement of coins:
http://www.studentdrinkinggames.com/coin/coinage.html

Quote:
Fill the shot glass and place it on the table (a few centimetres away from the bread board if you are using it). Each player takes it in turns to try to bounce the coin off the table (or bread board) into the shot glass. Depending on what happens, players must do the following:

* If they miss completely, play passes to the next person.
* If they get the coin in, then the player can nominate someone to drink the contents of the glass. They then get another turn.

If they get the coin in the glass 3 times in a row, they can make a new rule that all players must obey (e.g. you are only allowed to call people by their surname, no swearing, etc).

If the coin bounces off the glass without going in, one of the other players may 'challenge' the player. During a 'challenge' the player must try to bounce the coin again. If they fail, they must drink 2 glasses; if they succeed, the challenger must drink 2 glasses.

Event hosted in Belgium. Participants must be 16 or over. BYOB. ROAR. No giraffes.
wombatrpgs
Nemesis234 wrote:
and as for buying a domain via frihost surely that would use frih$?

I doubt Firh$ will ever be more than useless.
hunnyhiteshseth
Hey bonding you can turn this into a contest! Let see who can guess correctly before official announcement. You can just reply with simple yes or no whehter the guess was right or not.
Ghost Rider103
AftershockVibe wrote:
Bondings has been planning an Frihost anniversary party for years now. There is only one explanation for the requirement of coins:
http://www.studentdrinkinggames.com/coin/coinage.html

Quote:
Fill the shot glass and place it on the table (a few centimetres away from the bread board if you are using it). Each player takes it in turns to try to bounce the coin off the table (or bread board) into the shot glass. Depending on what happens, players must do the following:

* If they miss completely, play passes to the next person.
* If they get the coin in, then the player can nominate someone to drink the contents of the glass. They then get another turn.

If they get the coin in the glass 3 times in a row, they can make a new rule that all players must obey (e.g. you are only allowed to call people by their surname, no swearing, etc).

If the coin bounces off the glass without going in, one of the other players may 'challenge' the player. During a 'challenge' the player must try to bounce the coin again. If they fail, they must drink 2 glasses; if they succeed, the challenger must drink 2 glasses.

Event hosted in Belgium. Participants must be 16 or over. BYOB. ROAR. No giraffes.

Coins (we call it quarters here) is quite a common drinking game around here as well! How does a virtual version of Frihost coins work though?

I like where this is going... let's all drink! Laughing
hu0k
No coins at all.
adri
Probably something to do with the domains. Very Happy
Can't wait for the announcement. Razz

Adri
zeda
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Hey bonding you can turn this into a contest! Let see who can guess correctly before official announcement. You can just reply with simple yes or no whehter the guess was right or not.

You can turn it into a contest yourself. You can promise the winner to donate some frih$.
hunnyhiteshseth
zeda wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

You can turn it into a contest yourself. You can promise the winner to donate some frih$.

I would have but even I won't be able to tell whether someone answers the correct answer or not! The fun with Bonding running this contest is that he can post 'yes/no/close' etc. and keep people guessing. In my case, after an initial burst people will stop guessing as the same person won't guess again.

By the way, i can see field of coin on left below my avatar but not on top where my points & frih$ are written!
ankitdatashn
I love surprises but the hard fact is I can't wait for them once I know they are coming...
wombatrpgs
Maybe they're just there to tease us all and will never be implemented...
deanhills
adri wrote:
Probably something to do with the domains. Very Happy
Can't wait for the announcement. Razz

Adri
It has to be something to do with the domains. Agreed. Think Peterssidan also has the right idea. But yes, maybe this is an interesting subject for a contest?
Bondings
The main way to earn coins is now implemented. Other ways will follow with new features.

About turning this into a contest. Some of the uses have already been mentioned or are very close. Other ones haven't yet, but the smaller uses aren't really good for guesses.

And for information you'll have to wait a bit longer or make a lucky guess ... Cool
Vrythramax
Can I have some coins? *snicker*
metalfreek
Something exciting is coming up for sure. Can't wait long. Make this fast. Very Happy
saratdear
I'm going with my first guess itself...I feel sure this is about free domains. Right Bondings? Smile

EDIT: But what is the "main way to earn coins"? It isn't just posting for sure, because mine isn't getting updated.
meep
I don't think the main way will be posting, but if it is I don't think it will be possible to get coins before the announcement is made.
adri
saratdear wrote:
It isn't just posting for sure, because mine isn't getting updated.

Or maybe not yet. It could be that you earn coins (I always want to say frih$.. old habit Razz ) by posting and you have to turn in x coins if you want to join the domain competition. It would be a pretty good idea because you exclude non-active members and your amount of frih$ doesn't have an effect (= everyone is equal at the beginning of the comptetition and you can reset the coins after every competition so no one can save coins for the next competition). Smile

Just a thought though...

Adri
wombatrpgs
Oh, that's right, wasn't there supposed to be some sort of lottery? Would make more sense than turning in x coins for a domain...
ocalhoun
Well, now I have some coins, but I don't know how I got them.

adri
Oh Surprised , I have none. Bondings has some explaining to do. Smile

Adri
william
The first thing I looked at was post counts, and noted that those with 7000+ posts had coins. But then I noted some others had coins as well, so that couldn't be it. Then I looked under the member list, and see that the coins section is topped by HoboPelican (who isn't active anymore). In fact, it looks like most of the people with coins aren't active anymore...so clearly whatever they've done hasn't been recent. I seriously can't come with a trend, though. I've looked at their posts, their Frih$, their join dates, etc. but nothing.
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, now I have some coins, but I don't know how I got them.

Ok, well at least this can be made a contest.

The first person giving a more or less correct version of how coins are currently gained, gets 50 coins.

Tip 1: It has something to do with posting.

I'll give more tips every once in a while.
Bondings
william wrote:
The first thing I looked at was post counts, and noted that those with 7000+ posts had coins. But then I noted some others had coins as well, so that couldn't be it. Then I looked under the member list, and see that the coins section is topped by HoboPelican (who isn't active anymore). In fact, it looks like most of the people with coins aren't active anymore...so clearly whatever they've done hasn't been recent. I seriously can't come with a trend, though. I've looked at their posts, their Frih$, their join dates, etc. but nothing.

I noticed that william seems to have already started with some good observations before I actually announced the contest. Now it's time to deduce something about it. Very Happy
ocalhoun
Creating topics, and/or people replying to topics you created?
adri
ocalhoun wrote:

Hmmm yeah I was thinking that too ... the amount of hot (and therefor interesting?) topics you created maybe reflect in your coins?

Just guessing actually. Those coins are mine. Twisted Evil

Adri Smile
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:

No, it has nothing to do specifically with creating topics or someone replying to a topic you created. Giving coins for good topics is a good idea, though. But I would rather let it be done manually or at least not depend on the raw reply count as otherwise "What is your favourite ..." topics would get way too much importance.

Anyway, the tip is posting and posting a topic or a reply/post doesn't make a difference.
Nemesis234
Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

No, it has nothing to do specifically with creating topics or someone replying to a topic you created. Giving coins for good topics is a good idea, though. But I would rather let it be done manually or at least not depend on the raw reply count as otherwise "What is your favourite ..." topics would get way too much importance.

Anyway, the tip is posting and posting a topic or a reply/post doesn't make a difference.

i believe it has something to do with quotes, as in if i posted this without quoting i would score nothing, but because i have quoted, maybe my points will go up?

encouraging discussion instead of bland replies?

this is just a theory i will see if it actually works Razz

edit: well i dont think mine went up, but did yours?? could that be it? the quoted poster gains coins?
Bondings
Nemesis234 wrote:
i believe it has something to do with quotes, as in if i posted this without quoting i would score nothing, but because i have quoted, maybe my points will go up?

encouraging discussion instead of bland replies?

this is just a theory i will see if it actually works Razz

edit: well i dont think mine went up, but did yours?? could that be it? the quoted poster gains coins?

Nope, sorry, it has nothing to do with quotes.
ocalhoun
Aha!

When you have > 45 points, and some are deducted, the deducted points become coins.
adri
I think it has to do something with the Philosophy and Religion forum? I found someone with 24 posts in that forum and she had 12coins... Coincidence or not. Think

Adri
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Aha!

When you have > 45 points, and some are deducted, the deducted points become coins.

I was hoping it would take a while to guess. But this is pretty close, so you win already. Congratulations! Very Happy

It's actually (points above 45)^0.6 and this calculated daily. The actual formula may change, though.

Anyway, now back to the uses of it.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

Well, now... that's the more interesting question anyway...

Contests? A marketplace, perhaps with things to buy like domains or extra space? 'Vacation' time? Or perhaps extras in the forum itself, like new ranks?
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Aha!

I was hoping it would take a while to guess. But this is pretty close, so you win already. Congratulations! Very Happy

It's actually (points above 45)^0.6 and this calculated daily. The actual formula may change, though.

Interesting concept, but at least that could then be automated? When was the date on which you started calculating the coins?
Nemesis234
Bondings wrote:

im still hoping for an arcade.
i couldnt see them being used to purchase domains as i can see that costing frihost alot, unless the cost for domains is like 10000 coins or something.
Bondings
deanhills wrote:
Interesting concept, but at least that could then be automated? When was the date on which you started calculating the coins?

It's automated, it's scheduled about an hour after the -1point/day script.

It was already run twice, albeit close to each other. Today will be the third time.
sonam
Every official contents will require participation in coins.

Sonam
hunnyhiteshseth
Funny few months back I had same idea that if there can be a way to store points above 45 limit which could later be used for something else, so that there is an incentive to go as much higher as possible. nd now it is being implemented!
william
Heh, I just came back to post here to say it had something to do with going over 45 points (after all, HoboPelican always had the greatest number of points). But looks like I'm too late.

My guess for what these coins will be used for? I don't know, perhaps some sort of a lottery to win some new stuff?
Peterssidan
meep wrote:
... I don't think it will be possible to get coins before the announcement is made.
But Bondings have got 0.45 Coins. Maybe you need to be a founder to get coins Wink (right now)
adri
Peterssidan wrote:
meep wrote:
... I don't think it will be possible to get coins before the announcement is made.
But Bondings have got 0.45 Coins. Maybe you need to be a founder to get coins Wink (right now)

Nope deanhills and ocalhoun have coins too.
And Bondings said:
Bondings wrote:
It was already run twice, albeit close to each other. Today will be the third time.

Adri[/quote]
truespeed
Bondings wrote:
it's scheduled about an hour after the -1point/day script.

Shouldn't it be run before the other one resets everyone back to 45? Or am i reading this wrong,it seems there is only a 1 hour window per day to get coins.
Peterssidan
adri wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
meep wrote:

Nope deanhills and ocalhoun have coins too.

Ops, sorry. I didn't see that there was a second page.

Now I will have to get away from the zeros and back to the steady 45 points I used to have some time ago. Then I can get coins too Very Happy
Bondings
truespeed wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Shouldn't it be run before the other one resets everyone back to 45? Or am i reading this wrong,it seems there is only a 1 hour window per day to get coins.

The reset is now done by the coins script. The first script only removes a point for everyone who has a hosting account.

So to get coins you simply need to get more than 45 points.
jmlworld
meep wrote:
I don't think the main way will be posting, but if it is I don't think it will be possible to get coins before the announcement is made.

Bondings and some other guys are already earning Coins, mate. There's some mysterious way to earn Coins. I think posting in some forums will give you Coins, may be writing/commenting in the Blogs section or may be writing decent and useful post will earn you Coins.

I'm still Coinless Very Happy
Nemesis234
jmlworld wrote:
meep wrote:

Bondings and some other guys are already earning Coins, mate. There's some mysterious way to earn Coins. I think posting in some forums will give you Coins, may be writing/commenting in the Blogs section or may be writing decent and useful post will earn you Coins.

I'm still Coinless Very Happy

maybe if you read through the whole thread things would become clearer?
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
truespeed wrote:
Bondings wrote:

The reset is now done by the coins script. The first script only removes a point for everyone who has a hosting account.

So to get coins you simply need to get more than 45 points.
OK .... so have we then moved from a pilot session (running the scripts manually twice) to fully operational now and I imagine the script will be running every night now? As for a moment I thought that luck would also have something to do with it, depending on the timing with which a person would have posted their plus part over 45?

Anyway, congratulations Bondings, looks as though we have interesting times ahead of us. I guess these are special kind of coins, almost the equivalent of Kruger Rands vs. our Frih$ Or like very rare Frih Sovereigns? .... Looking forward to hearing the nitty gritty details. Any announcement date yet, or is that a secret too? Smile
Ghost Rider103
If the coins are only earned by having your points over 45.00, how does this work for users that don't have a hosting account?

Surely it would be much easier for a user to gain coins if they do not have a hosting account as theirs points never decrease.

I never would of even thought of this question until I looked at the coins stats on the memberlist page. There is a user that has the most coins and hasn't been around for nearly three years.
Nemesis234
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
If the coins are only earned by having your points over 45.00, how does this work for users that don't have a hosting account?

Surely it would be much easier for a user to gain coins if they do not have a hosting account as theirs points never decrease.

I never would of even thought of this question until I looked at the coins stats on the memberlist page. There is a user that has the most coins and hasn't been around for nearly three years.

i really cant see that being an issue. loosing 1 point a day isnt exactly a problem, well it shouldnt be.

and theory states the only reason most people join frihost is to a acquire hosting, so any active posters will have hosting and suffer the -1 point/day.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I saw that too Ghost Rider. But completely misinterpreted it, as I thought Bondings was going to reward posters according to their historic contributions, rather than their current ones, so had thought that perhaps Bondings had done back calculation on the plus 45 postings and had given your golden oldie guys coins as a reward and inducement to get them posting again? I guess I had interpreted it completely wrong!

I guess it would be easy to reset all the points of the old accounts to zero or to an alphabet? Or is it?
scorpxide5
Thanks for the info guys.. I'm new here.. =]

Me and my colleagues are currently developing a website for our School Department.
is frihost the best free web hosting site?
Ghost Rider103
Nemesis234 wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

i really cant see that being an issue. loosing 1 point a day isnt exactly a problem, well it shouldnt be.

and theory states the only reason most people join frihost is to a acquire hosting, so any active posters will have hosting and suffer the -1 point/day.

What I was getting at is for the hosted people, we constantly have to keep our points above 45 to gain coins. So currently I have around 60 points, so every post I make is going to count for x amount of coins.

Now if I were gone for a couple days, my points would be well below 45, and I would then have to make x amount of posts to get it back to 45 and those posts will not count for any coins at all. Only after my points reach back to 45 will I be able to gain coins once again.

So for all the hosted users, not every post will count for coins. But for the users that don't have hosting (their points don't reset) every post they make will count for coins (once they reach 45 points anyways).

Not really a huge deal, but theirs been times where my points have fallen below 30. So that's a lot of lost posts that won't count for coins. While anyone that isn't hosted will never have that issue, so they are more likely to have more coins than users with hosting.
Nemesis234
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Nemesis234 wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

What I was getting at is for the hosted people, we constantly have to keep our points above 45 to gain coins. So currently I have around 60 points, so every post I make is going to count for x amount of coins.

Now if I were gone for a couple days, my points would be well below 45, and I would then have to make x amount of posts to get it back to 45 and those posts will not count for any coins at all. Only after my points reach back to 45 will I be able to gain coins once again.

So for all the hosted users, not every post will count for coins. But for the users that don't have hosting (their points don't reset) every post they make will count for coins (once they reach 45 points anyways).

Not really a huge deal, but theirs been times where my points have fallen below 30. So that's a lot of lost posts that won't count for coins. While anyone that isn't hosted will never have that issue, so they are more likely to have more coins than users with hosting.

well, about going down as low as 30 points, whats that, 3 decent posts to get back to 45? and thats after a fortnight away, so thats quite a weak arguement.

and dont you think its acceptable that the members with free hosting should work that little harder on the forums? after all you are taking something away from this site which the members without hosting are not.
Ghost Rider103
It all depends on what exactly the coins are used for.

What is the coins are used to enter the contest in which the domains will be given away for free? It would still be unfair if two users are gone for 5 days straight (or just doesn't post for five days, I've done that myself, probably longer) and one user gets points deducted and the other doesn't. Then the users come back on the same day and both make 5 decent posts. One user will gain no coins at all, while the other will be gaining coins.

Depending on which type of poster you are, it actually can be challenging to find a thread worth replying to. There are users who will only reply to a thread if they think they can offer something to the discussion. I don't always like those threads where you just give a yes or no, or a this or that post and then leave, which is why my post count isn't all that high for being here since 2006.

Either way it's an unfair game. But whether or not it really matters depends on what the coins will actually be used for. If it's used for buying something that only reflects on yourself, then I guess it wouldn't matter as much as if it were a competition type thing.
Bondings
@Ghost Rider103, the idea is that the -1 point/day is the 'cost' of hosting. It indicates the minimum activity required for a hosting account. The coins are there to reward/encourage extra activity.

Also, this won't be the only way to earn coins. I will most likely add an option for the staff to reward authors of good topics (and maybe posts). This should reward qualtiy a bit more, while the current system only takes into account quantity.

I definitely do not plan any entry cost/requirement to the competitions (apart from specific exceptions where it does make sense). On the other hand, coins might be used as prizes for the competitions.

By the way, the reason why some old members have a lot of coins is because they had a lot of points (hundreds to thousands). And those were all changed into coins at once.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
By the way, the reason why some old members have a lot of coins is because they had a lot of points (hundreds to thousands). And those were all changed into coins at once.
I've noticed that you have reset all the points to 45 as well, which is great as looks as though you have re-organized the old points and one can recognize them all at a glance. All of the coins will probably sort themselves out as they become more established and people's posting patterns start to emerge more spontaneously.
wombatrpgs
Hm, it seems like that would make it relatively easy to gather coins if you were active over a long period of time without a hosted account...
the_crystalguy
I guess each COIN is the set of your 50 points. when you reach the limit of your 50 points 1 coin is added in our coin account.
e.g: 1coin/50points
if you have 4 coins this means you have 200(4*50) coins excluding of your points in the points field.
sandmanxyz
Ok, so now that we know, let´s go for it!! Smile
hunnyhiteshseth
Bondings wrote:

I will most likely add an option for the staff to reward authors of good topics (and maybe posts). This should reward qualtiy a bit more, while the current system only takes into account quantity.

Does that mean those people who are more active in those topics where staff is more active have a higher chance of getting coins because their post has more chance of being seen by staff.

Also in case someone posts in a topic on which staff doesn't have required expertise to comment on the quality does that mean they will be left out on quality component of coins?
Bondings
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Bondings wrote:

I will most likely add an option for the staff to reward authors of good topics (and maybe posts). This should reward qualtiy a bit more, while the current system only takes into account quantity.

Does that mean those people who are more active in those topics where staff is more active have a higher chance of getting coins because their post has more chance of being seen by staff.

Also in case someone posts in a topic on which staff doesn't have required expertise to comment on the quality does that mean they will be left out on quality component of coins?

Such a system will of course not be totally fair. But any extra reward for a good topic/post is better than none I guess. Wink
hunnyhiteshseth
Bondings wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Such a system will of course not be totally fair. But any extra reward for a good topic/post is better than none I guess. Wink

Well yeah true. Something is better than nothing. And a lot will also depend on what is the ultimate use of coins and to what extend people will go to get coins.
wombatrpgs
Hm, will there be a formal announcement for this, or is that going to be saved for when there are uses for the coins...?
alvarorojas4
Looks interesting Very Happy
Will be awesome how More Bandwith for coins... or something Very Happy
Bondings
There will be an announcement, I hope to make it pretty soon. Very Happy
missdixy
Bondings wrote:

Ahhhh i can't wait, i can't waiiitt!!!
games maybe?
Flakky
escritor wrote:
His blog is called "Bondings World"... doesn't anybody see the correlation with Super Mario World?! The coins mean he's going to launch an MMORPG game based on Mario! Dancing

Best answer Smile You deserve a coin! Very Happy
zeda
there is a topic where bounding explains a lot about the coins. it is just not very clear where this topic is.
Bikerman
http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-119180.html
Flakky
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Oh so that's the use of coins! Smile
thisdaddy
TFS Arrow