FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How often do you say those three words?

loyal
Hey,

It's common that a new couple may often say those three common words (I love you). But how often do you say them after you've been married or in a long relationship? Do those words still have the same effect? Please share your opinions and experiences.

Peace.
LittleBlackKitten
I'll be married a year on October, and so far, it's a daily thing - and we didn't just start saying it to say it, we said it when we truly meant it. If a day ever goes by where we don't exchange I love you's, I will be stunned.
Ankhanu
It's pretty much daily. I've been married for a little over 9 years now, and we still say it every day (when we interact at all... sometimes we can't Wink ). I don't think they've lost any meaning, though it's perhaps changed context a little, it's a reiteration of our bond, rather than an effort to build a bond like it is in the early stages of a relationship... it takes on a maintenance role rather than a constructive one.
Bluedoll
Definitely not out of habit. It can loose its meaning. Relationships are all about sharing feelings so I say it when the feeling is there.
nigam
I have been married for three years and six months now, saying I love You to my wife is just a new couple...we have been busy with our business and that is what we've been talking a lot.... if my wife can read this.... I love You So Much Wink
chatrack
We use them rarely, but feel them mostly
hmghaly
Well I've been married for more than four years now, with kids and life's pressures maybe it is no longer on a daily basis, but being kind and helpful can sometimes be good, but it does not compensate for saying the three words, God bless you and your love and may you have a great life together Smile
macky
well this three words are often used and it is very common. It is very easy to say you a person but it's

not that simple to prove it. I guess sometimes you need to treasure how you say it for you to have

an in-depth meaning of it. Luckily in my case, English is my second language so when i say it to my

girlfriend i used the native words of mine to have a full meaning to her and of course i only say it when

we have sometimes an argue or we had a best day get together.
loyal
It's interesting how many of you have said that you say or that it is said to you fairly often, and you still find it meaningful. I think there is a significant number of teenagers who constantly say they are in love with someone, and then break up soon later, and say they love someone else. It seems to trivialise and remove the meaning from the three words.

Peace.
natilovesmike
That is a very interesting question. I have been married for 6 years now...and I still need to say it and hear it from my husband daily...several times a day. It is definitely not a habit...I say it because I truly need to express it...and I also need to hear it.

But I liked what another post said...that it is not to build on the relationship...but to maintain it.
Greatking
Well bieng in a relationship I say it a lot to my girlfriend and its like it comes to replace goodbye anytime you see your partner off.

The question as to whether it continous after marriage I believe depends on how often you say it and how much you meant it before you were married.
Ankhanu
loyal wrote:
I think there is a significant number of teenagers who constantly say they are in love with someone, and then break up soon later, and say they love someone else. It seems to trivialise and remove the meaning from the three words.

Don't look to teenagers for anything with permanence Razz (Generalization) Teenagers are as transient in their bonds as they are in their physical/emotional development Razz It's a period of change, and their commitments are just as mutable. What's important and "forever" today is forgotten tomorrow.

That said, they earnestly say these words (and other things) and believe them when they say them... they just lack conviction and any kind of forethought in most cases.
mukesh
loyal wrote:
Hey,

It's common that a new couple may often say those three common words (I love you). But how often do you say them after you've been married or in a long relationship? Do those words still have the same effect? Please share your opinions and experiences.

Peace.

hay, I am not married so i have no experience about this. But i think depend on condition if relationship between both well then this three word same value like new couple. But after marriage relationship have some problum then this three word (I Love You) value must low.
metalfreek
I love you is for starters. Once you get along with each other you don't have to tell those three words. Its obvious and understandable.
nam_siddharth
Daily..
Blaster
I say it daily to her usually when I send her a text message good night. (We both go to different colleges)

I didn't say it until I really meant it and her as well. It shouldn't be a statement that is over used however you shouldn't under use it at the same time. At least that is the way that I feel about it.
meep
I've never said it, I don't know why but I just can't :/
But then again if someone asks me how I feel I can't tell that either, I don't know why but I seem to have a problem showing my feelings Confused
inuyasha
Just once... as I'm still a college student. We won't say it frequently.
standready
Saying those words and really meaning those words are two different items. If you form a habit of saying those words do you really mean it each time or has it become an automatic response?
Insanity
I don't think it has to do with just saying them. It has to do with the emphasis and the way it's said. If you just say it after every phone call, or after every single time you hug them or something, then it sort of makes it very banal and commonplace. Then it won't have as much of an effect as if you said it sparingly. But then again, if you say it rarely, there might be problems associated with that, such as your SO asking you why do you rarely say it, and it leads to all sorts of random trouble.

But it also matters with what emphasis. If you look at each other in the eyes and say it, and say it with meaning, then it means a lot more. I think this is the way people should approach this situation, and it makes it so you can say it all the time, yet when yous ay it with emphasis there is somethign different and substantial about it.

Just my two cents.