FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I Google®-d and Photoshop®ped

badai
http://news.cnet.com/Google-wants-people-to-stop-googling/2100-1030_3-6106479.html

Quote:
Google has said it intends to crack down on the use of its name as a generic verb, in phrases such as "to google someone."

The Internet search giant said such phrases were potentially damaging to its brand.

"We think it's important to make the distinction between using the word 'Google' to describe using Google to search the Internet and using the word 'google' to generally describe searching the Internet. It has some serious trademark issues," a representative for the search company said.

Julie Coleman, an authority on linguistics from the University of Leicester, said she could understand Google's concerns.

"The prestige associated with a trademark is lost if people use it generically, so I do see Google's point. They also do lots more than just search, so maybe they're reluctant for their brand name to be restricted in this way," Coleman said.

But Coleman added that once new words enter into common usage, it is impossible to stop their use.

"Google can't possibly stop the spread of the verb," Coleman said. "Normal people are using it in normal conversation and in writing, and they aren't likely to face legal proceedings."

What Google could do, said Coleman, is "force dictionaries to mention its origin in a trademarked brand name, which is what the Oxford English Dictionary already does."

Even if Google's attempts to stop this misuse of its trademark turn out to be in vain, many argue it shouldn't even be trying.

Members of the blogging community have suggested it is a sign that Google is losing its once-cool facade and that the search giant is taking itself too seriously.

One blogger also suggested Google has missed the obvious compliment in all this, which is that the use is evidence the company now owns the search industry.

"This should be the ultimate compliment, and I cannot believe Google sees it differently," blogger and computing graduate Frank Gruber wrote.

Steve Rubel, another blogger, branded it "one of the worst PR moves in history."

Morgan McLintic, a PR executive based in the heart of Silicon Valley, said Google should certainly learn when to love its addition to the English language.

"'Googling' is already common parlance for searching on the Internet," McLintic wrote. "And there is only one place you go to 'google,' so this is a good thing for Google with a capital 'G'. The media's use of the verb is simply a reflection of everyday use."

Google's move reflects the concerns of other businesses, such as Xerox, which has complained that its brand has become a generic term for photocopying respectively. Apple Computer is also taking action to defend "iPod."

AOL is another technology company that has fought the tendency of brands to become generic. It has contacting media outlets in the past over the use of "instant messenger" to describe any IM application, claiming that to be its brand.

http://www.adobe.com/misc/trade.html#section-4

Quote:
Trademarks help protect corporate and product identity, and the Flash® trademark is one of Adobe's most valuable trademarks. By following our guidelines, you can help Adobe protect the Flash brand name. The Flash trademark must never be used as a common verb, as a noun, or as a generic term for animation or video or to describe the output format. The Flash trademark should always be capitalized and should never be used in possessive form or as a slang term. It should be used as an adjective to describe the product and should never be used in abbreviated form.

These guidelines have been developed to help our partners and customers who use or refer to Adobe's Flash family of products.

so, i guess i should google something and photoshop it before they crack down on it:

Magicman
This is absolutely absurd. It is a huge complement to Google that their brand name is being used so generically. The problem they might have is if it becomes so common that people actually don't know that its really called a web search. I hope it never comes to this though. I bet Google is afraid of something like the video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYVCk10AzS0 (Embedding is disabled)
missdixy
Magicman wrote:
This is absolutely absurd. It is a huge complement to Google that their brand name is being used so generically. The problem they might have is if it becomes so common that people actually don't know that its really called a web search. I hope it never comes to this though. I bet Google is afraid of something like the video below.

hahaha. that is hilarious!!! funny video. And yes, I agree, Google should take this as a complement. I understand their concerns but I think they should just flow with it. I think they've done a well-enough job at making a name for themselves outside of just the search engine. Besides, people need a verb that implies 'internet search'. We, the people, have chosen google. They should just let it be!
standready
Magicman that video is just too funny (Microsoft using "Google" as the verb instead of the correct term "search"). How is that for direct competition! LOL

Yes, it is a complement to a point but all companies need to protect their brand names especially true for "service" type companies where there is no real "label" product.

How many of us say I'll have a coke instead of correct term cola or soda? Do you end up with a Pepsi instead and don't even care?

Now, Do you "Yahoo!" ? LOL
eday2010
Thankfully, I am smart enough not to talk like that. Other people like to pick up the Internet lingo because they think it makes then sound cool (false), unique (false), and "in the know" (false). However, I search something in Google/Bing/Whatever, and I alter something in Photoshop.

Sadly, people are too lazy to talk properly these days.
Nameless
This news story is four years old ...
billybob
I see both sides of this yes it show how much google dominate the market but on the other hand there are examples where businesses have nearly lost brand identity.
Such as in the uk there is a Vacuum cleaner manufacturer called "Hoover" who ran a series of advert where the actor would call the Vacuum cleaner "the hoover" and it became common for people to call any vacuum cleaner a hoover regardless of brand. Surprised
Flakky
I understand their concern but I was hoping they would ROFL in their offices when hearing the word 'google' Razz
c'tair
They're just trying to keep their brand cool and fresh.

And I have to admit, that nowhere where I've been, have people used so many brand names to indicate ordinary products - could you pass me the kleenex? could you google that for me? Wow, I've never seen an ipod like that!
Asap170
What about "I Binged it"?!
meep
Asap170 wrote:
What about "I Binged it"?!

I would consider that an insult to google lol Very Happy
Asap170
This has nothing to do with Google. If we say Photoshoped then it be an insult to Google too.
Flakky
Some products have gained their position in the market that we use it constantly for simmilar products. Yet Google disagrees because they have been expanding a lot. They offer more than just a search engine. So I can understand. Apple differenciates MP3 player and cellphone by naming it iPod and iPhone, Kleenex has not grown into other branches (tissues only I guess). "What do you have there?" "I have a Windows".

It is the market leader who defines what "word" is being used to describe the branch their are dominating. Same applies to Google except they do not fit into a single branch.

Bing is only a search engine so I think Microsoft wouldn't mind if we would say "Bing it!" (except for Stewie Griffin, because he does not use Bing because it's not GOOGLE)
mark1230
i have always loved google ..they are fair with people and have causes behind their actions.

"Don't be evil "
Ghost900
They ain't going to crack down on me, I will us the term "google it" until a better search engine comes.

Kinda funny Google even cares that people use it as a verb.
Blaster
So who else wants to start yahooing it?

This is crazy and I agree with what you guys are saying. It should be seen as a compliment not as anything bad. Also the same is true with photoshop. We are taught in the English language to add ed and ing to things to slightly change there meanings. So i photoshoped it makes more sesne thatn i photshop it. Thats what the english language has done to us so we shouldn't blame anyone but language in general...

(Nevermind dead link)
mikelll
missdixy wrote:
Magicman wrote:

hahaha. that is hilarious!!! funny video. And yes, I agree, Google should take this as a complement. I understand their concerns but I think they should just flow with it. I think they've done a well-enough job at making a name for themselves outside of just the search engine. Besides, people need a verb that implies 'internet search'. We, the people, have chosen google. They should just let it be!

I agree too!