FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Debate Forum?





n0obie4life
Sure, in the description, you put something like.

"For mature people to debate in"

Which indirectly, ur saying, you know what Wink.
dan751
Hey, Noobie, I'm likin' that idea. Cool I have fun debating stuff, especially in Canadian Law class.Very Happy
babumuchhala
Having a debate forum is very good idea, but what i am afraid is the amount of spam will out-weigh the benift of debate.

Few people will be posting their views, and be the part of the whole debate, but rest all will be "I agrees with abc" or "I disagree" and blah blah.
mathiaus
Nice but would need rules and possibly ??? god knows what else
I would love a debate forum but it would be ruined by people saying 'this is good and thats bad, simple as' and 'yes' and 'no' and other short useless spamy posts.

I suggest we have two stickied topics. One could be rules and the other a poll.
The poll would be to decide what we should debate about. I feel that allowing members to freely create a new debate would be inviting spam to the forum which is bad. If we have a new debate every week then users could concentrate on that one debate topic rather than serching through 50 and saying a one liner to each to try and get some more points.

If we were to have this forum it would need rules and regular moderation, both of which I'd be happy to help with.

Great idea n0obie4life ! Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
mathiaus wrote:
...I feel that allowing members to freely create a new debate would be inviting spam to the forum which is bad. ...



Aren't the polls and "which is better" threads already just that? Debate threads? Me: "FF is better!" You: "No way, ******, IE is better!"

Wink

Quote:

If we were to have this forum it would need rules and regular moderation, both of which I'd be happy to help with.

Great idea n0obie4life ! Very Happy


Agreed 100%. Rules will need to be strictly enforced. I would also be happy to help, though my tendancy to get irked by ignorance and lies may make me an unlikely candidate. Shocked
Billy Hill
S3nd K3ys wrote:
I would also be happy to help, though my tendancy to get irked by ignorance and lies may make me an unlikely candidate. Shocked


LoL!

At least you know and can admit it. That's half way to recovery! Very Happy

Actually, a forum for debate would be interesting. Agreed on the rule enforcement and moderation. I would think a very strict rule to 'stay on subject' would be the first rule. I see a lot of debates here where certain people are avoiding cirtain portions of the debate.

I'd also be willing to help by putting together some rules and/or debate topics, or even moderating the forum to make sure it stays civil and on topic.
Bondings
I agree that debates can be very interesting. But as you see in the world news forum, they can heat up a bit (too much).

The thread(s) about Bush was(were) maybe on the border, but a thread about evolution theory vs creationism can really get out of hand and I don't want to lose members because of such discussions.

Anyway, I already thought several times of making a Philosophy/debate forum.

But can you give me some examples about what you think would be discussed in there or what you want to be discussed?
Billy Hill
Bondings wrote:
I agree that debates can be very interesting. But as you see in the world news forum, they can heat up a bit (too much).

The thread(s) about Bush was(were) maybe on the border, but a thread about evolution theory vs creationism can really get out of hand and I don't want to lose members because of such discussions.

Anyway, I already thought several times of making a Philosophy/debate forum.

But can you give me some examples about what you think would be discussed in there or what you want to be discussed?


Civil Liberties

Court Rulings

Election Processes

Protection of Privacy

Gun Control

Abortion

Government Waste

Human Cloning

Immigration and Ethnic Profiling
dan751
babumuchhala wrote:
Having a debate forum is very good idea, but what i am afraid is the amount of spam will out-weigh the benift of debate.

Few people will be posting their views, and be the part of the whole debate, but rest all will be "I agrees with abc" or "I disagree" and blah blah.

Then we improvise!Very Happy No points.Wink Reason why, if people were to just say "I agree/disagree", then there could be many of those. And therefore, points for no point.. No?
Billy Hill
dan751 wrote:
...Reason why, if people were to just say "I agree/disagree", then there could be many of those. And therefore, points for no point.. No?


Not that points matter to me, as I haven't even attempted to get an account, but isn't that the whole reason for this board?

If not, then why not disallow points in any polls? Or any "which is better" threads? Confused

Debates bring (typically) intelligent and well rounded individuals into very informative discussions, when done properly. That is why the forum would need to be heavily moderated.

(look, we're having a debate! Very Happy )
Jack_Hammer
I'm sure you could moderate the forum and with the people in there should be able to take responsibitly for their actions, maybe restrict it?, or a hiddin debate forum maybe?
Rolling Eyes
babumuchhala
If we hide it, whats the use, one might miss some really good posts and points in a debate. In a dbate u need to have each & every point u can get.

As for no points/Frih$ i agree with it. The amount of spam thats gotten reduced in Jokes & Funny Pics area is enormous after points & Frih$s were disabled there.
aznrex
debate forum?!?!
that would be so original
but then again, debating over the net leads to a heck lotta flamming dont you think??
but it would be nice to have cool topic to debate about
or maybe the admin can just post a topic to be debated every week or something
Monkeydog
Well of course flamming would happen,But it would be for mature people only, no mature person will care if they are flammed over the internet.

You should put the Final Fantasy 8 thread there...it's becoming quiet a heated discussion xD
n0obie4life
Beat me Wink.

I thought of the rules before I even suggested Razz.

"What are the differences between polls and debates?"

"When you post your opinion, you must back it up with evidence. If the evidence isn't literal, then it must be logcal."

1. Keep the debates clean.
Arrow No dirty language.
Arrow No personal attacks.
Arrow Disagreeing is with another person is alright. But Insulting and degrading is another isn't.

2. Debates need facts
The basic ground rule here is ask yourself "can I back up this argument?" For example, "Who is your favorite actor?" would probably be ok because you can cite movies and such that they have done. On the other hand "What is your favorite candy?" is not a debate. It is strictly opinion and belongs in General Chat.

Then, we should have strict rules enforced in that forum Wink.

Examples :

Arrow "Yes, I agree with you" or "No, I don't agree" or anything related to or near those isn't allowed. You need to have at least something like,

"No, I don't agree, and <your reason behind>"

Points / cash shouldn't be disabled.

Strict rules should be enforced.

IE, if a user posts breaks the same rules twice, then, an amount of cash will be deducted by moderators and his post having to be removed.

Back-Seat moderating wouldn't be allowed too Wink, ie, if you notice a person breaking a rule, you don't go up to him and say, you broke a rule, you need a reason behind your disagreement or agreement. The people should ignore that post.

Prolly a nice code in viewforum.php would be nice to. I need to grab the code, but it will be something like this.

if (forum id for debate forum) && (user post count >100) then allow into the forum, else show disallow.

Flames are definately foreseeable. As its a debate. Unless the flame gets too far, the topic would be locked. If its too "dirty", then it will be trashed + locked + warning given to the 2 if its too overboard.
tonren
Itis a good ideal,in my opinion
Bondings
tonren wrote:
Itis a good ideal,in my opinion

Tonren, please read the thread before posting!
In the post before yours n0obie4life wrote:
"Yes, I agree with you" or "No, I don't agree" or anything related to or near those isn't allowed. You need to have at least something like ...
SHERPAS MASTER
i have any suggestion for the forum
I thinq those site stay alive because of publicity but sometimes they are very badly placed no?
It's just my point of view
And perhaps you could change the organisation on make lesser topic in the index it could be easier to choose after where we wanna go

But don't feel attacked by this it's just an help and my opinion...
dan751
Billy Hill wrote:
dan751 wrote:
...Reason why, if people were to just say "I agree/disagree", then there could be many of those. And therefore, points for no point.. No?


Not that points matter to me, as I haven't even attempted to get an account, but isn't that the whole reason for this board?

If not, then why not disallow points in any polls? Or any "which is better" threads? Confused

Debates bring (typically) intelligent and well rounded individuals into very informative discussions, when done properly. That is why the forum would need to be heavily moderated.

(look, we're having a debate! Very Happy )


Well, in the Humor category, there are no points earned for posts.. That should support my suggestion on no points, regarding small posts.Smile
n0obie4life
SHERPAS MASTER wrote:
i have any suggestion for the forum
I thinq those site stay alive because of publicity but sometimes they are very badly placed no?
It's just my point of view
And perhaps you could change the organisation on make lesser topic in the index it could be easier to choose after where we wanna go

But don't feel attacked by this it's just an help and my opinion...


Post it in a new topic please.
mathiaus
So where are we going with this? we seem to have generally agreen on several things and people seem to be interested.
I think this would definately be a good thing for FRIHost and it's members.

More ideas -
People like different things, maybe different debates (not to many) going on at the same time, so for computery people we could have a debate going on about best value processors, worldy people could debate about 3rd world debt and TV people could debate over Angus Deayton's firing (UK).
Jack_Hammer
If there is a problem with a debates forum you can always either increase mods. of you can just delete the forum all together if it turns out to be a complete falirue, though I'm sure most respectable people are able to control their tempers whilst debating,
n0obie4life
If there's a problem, then remove the forum.
S3nd K3ys
Or, if there is a problem, remove the problem. Wink
Bondings
And what about making it a closed forum, I mean where you can only post in the topics, but where you can't create a new topic? (you need to suggest it and wait for a mod to create it)
S3nd K3ys
Bondings wrote:
And what about making it a closed forum, I mean where you can only post in the topics, but where you can't create a new topic? (you need to suggest it and wait for a mod to create it)


Now we're on the right track. I'm thinking it should be like (for example) one week long debates on pre-determined topics, between two people or two teams (Pro and Con), and only those people debating will have posting rights in that forum during the length of the debate, but everyone else will have viewing rights. (It will be a bit more work for the mods than what Bondings suggested, but will keep it within the rules much easier)

Debates are typically done with teams/individuals instead of a "free for all", but it could still work as a free for all if everyone posts, in the first line of their post Pro or Con so we'll know what side of the debate that post is for.

It will be a growing process what ever we do, and may change as we see what works and what doesn't.

Should be fun regardless.
Bondings
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Bondings wrote:
And what about making it a closed forum, I mean where you can only post in the topics, but where you can't create a new topic? (you need to suggest it and wait for a mod to create it)


Now we're on the right track. I'm thinking it should be like (for example) one week long debates on pre-determined topics, between two people or two teams (Pro and Con), and only those people debating will have posting rights in that forum during the length of the debate, but everyone else will have viewing rights. (It will be a bit more work for the mods than what Bondings suggested, but will keep it within the rules much easier)

Debates are typically done with teams/individuals instead of a "free for all", but it could still work as a free for all if everyone posts, in the first line of their post Pro or Con so we'll know what side of the debate that post is for.

It will be a growing process what ever we do, and may change as we see what works and what doesn't.

Should be fun regardless.

I like it.

But please understand that at the moment i have absolutely no time to do this.
mathiaus
Would another Junior Admin be able to help then in the setting up of the foruma nd the permissions and everything?
n0obie4life
mathiaus wrote:
Would another Junior Admin be able to help then in the setting up of the foruma nd the permissions and everything?


Yes, with Bondings' permisson. Its just..less than 10 clicks and would take lesser than 5 minutes to do it.
Bockman
mathiaus, when it envolves altering forum's structure, it will have to be according to Bondings's rules. i could do it, but for that i need detailed info on how it'll be structures (and after that i'd need Bondings confirmation that it was correct). Why?.. because Bondings is the only one who creates/nodifies forums in FriHost, it's part of his function and his responsability.

Having the (forum) permissons to do it doesn't mean we can, m8 Wink

Be Well Cool
dan751
So, any chances we could have a debate forum?
S3nd K3ys
dan751 wrote:
So, any chances we could have a debate forum?


Yeah.

Bondings wrote:
...
I like it.

But please understand that at the moment i have absolutely no time to do this.
dan751
Perhpas I could create a forum for debating, then, when Bondings has more time on his hands, we could somehow migrate the forum to the Frihost forums.Very Happy If it's a good idea, let me know, and I'll make one and post the link.Smile
SBrian
Why a debate forum. If you want to have a debate with some one, go to the general chat. It might be clear that we can'y chat about everything!
dan751
SBrian wrote:
Why a debate forum. If you want to have a debate with some one, go to the general chat. It might be clear that we can'y chat about everything!

Haha, that's a good idea. But it'd still be better to have a debate forum.
n0obie4life
SBrian wrote:
Why a debate forum. If you want to have a debate with some one, go to the general chat. It might be clear that we can'y chat about everything!


The General Chat area is though so as a "SPAM" area by some idiots.
So by placing debates there, we would get

"Yes, I agree" and not the "Yes, I agree, because.." that we want.

A debate can't have short posts. Its normally extremely long posts with proof and etc.
yjwong
Make it a rule that you must have at least 3 or 4 lines and they must be relevant. Those who post only a line of SPAM will get banned instantly.

Moderators must be stricter to prevent spam. (Direct banning, no warnings)
tidruG
yjwong wrote:
Those who post only a line of SPAM will get banned instantly.

Moderators must be stricter to prevent spam. (Direct banning, no warnings)

I can guarantee you two things:
1. You will get a lot of people posting against that idea... it could be dangerous... a moderator gets really angry, and in a fit of temper bans a member... result : fiasco, so it's not really recommended (at least not by me)
2. If that rule is implemented, you will see a lot of banned members! Very Happy
Jack_Hammer
I want to know what the final word on this matter is, because it would be create if the (certianly mature) users here would like to have a real debate backed up with facts and opinions to have a discussion about certains issues, or is this just me that wants this?
n0obie4life
I know I want it too. But does Bondings even have that fewwww second tso generate that forum up then I'll post the rules and etc?
SNES350
I'd rather have a debate forum which does not reward points rather than being a spam opportunity (or having posting requirements in that forum).

If possible, new topics in that forum could be witheld until a moderator takes a look at it and approves/rejects it-I've seen this done elsewhere, but I don't remember what board system they used.
Bockman
yes, there is a MOD for phpbb that makes all posts need aprooval from mod/adm to be posted. but you need to understand one thing on this matter:

1- we already have our hands full with other matters. to have to aproove every single post would be crazy.

2- conversations would have a huge delay, for your posts wouldn't be up immediately. this would also cause for multiple responses to the same post without advancing the debate.

Be Well Cool
n0obie4life
I could approve posts. But not all of them in one day Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
Bockman wrote:
yes, there is a MOD for phpbb that makes all posts need aprooval from mod/adm to be posted. but you need to understand one thing on this matter:

1- we already have our hands full with other matters. to have to aproove every single post would be crazy.

2- conversations would have a huge delay, for your posts wouldn't be up immediately. this would also cause for multiple responses to the same post without advancing the debate.

Be Well Cool


Good points. The debate forum should be locked for posting to everyone except the individuals/teams that are currently debating. I don't really care about points, but think they should be awarded because there will be very good conversations, that will take quite a while to develope.
gonzo
S3nd K3ys wrote:


Agreed 100%. Rules will need to be strictly enforced. I would also be happy to help, though my tendancy to get irked by ignorance and lies may make me an unlikely candidate. Shocked


It makes you the perfect candidate!
n0obie4life
Oh Shutup gonzo.
Related topics
How many forum members...
Forget...
Sig display - only once.
In Search of Non-Corrupt Politicians
How did you come to believe what you believe?
Debate, discussion and argument worth your time?
A debate forum
Do we NEED Politics and Debate forum?
Allow read-only access to frihost's phpbb_users table?
WHAT WHAT WHAT
God is Perfect
Notification of change
Omniscience vs omnipotence.
A discussion/debate forum?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.