FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

China's massive traffic jam could last for weeks

mengshi200
BEIJING -- China has just been declared the world's second biggest economy, and now it has a monster traffic jam to match.

Triggered by road construction, the snarl-up began 10 days ago and was 100 kilometers (60 miles) long at one point. Reaching almost to the outskirts of Beijing, traffic still creeps along in fits and starts, and the crisis could last for another three weeks, authorities say.

It's a metaphor for a nation that sometimes chokes on its own breakneck growth.

read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/24/AR2010082401386.html
mengshi200
traffic jam is Chinese character.at first limited in urban and small scale.Now emerge a
huge and long time crisis.
Nameless
I wonder how much it would cost to hire a helicopter and airlift yourself out of the mess, huh.

Or for that matter, how much effort it would take to get out and shove your car/truck/whatever sideways off the road.

Or how much trouble you'd get in for saying "screw it", jumping on top of your car and sprinting on TOP of the traffic jam, because quite frankly if that wouldn't be worth it I don't know what would. Very Happy
LimpFish
This is just crazy, haha. 100 km is a LOOOONG traffic jam!
Cliffer
in china ,too many people,too many cars....but the land is too less,road is not enought for cars running and parking. and the oil price will get higher and higher. i don't hope china become a biggest cars country. it will be a disaster to china's people.
Nameless
LimpFish wrote:
This is just crazy, haha. 100 km is a LOOOONG traffic jam!

Okay.

Great.

Now I can't the image of a traffic-jam longcat out of my head.
liljp617
Apparently it "vanished" quite quickly overnight.
tingkagol
Experts and their 'estimates'. Smile
harismushtaq
How is public transport in China ? Do they have mass transit systems like UK has in London (and in fact in many developed countries, big cities have good public transport systems to reduce traffic jams).
hunnyhiteshseth
liljp617 wrote:
Apparently it "vanished" quite quickly overnight.

Yeah, that is the strangest part. Reporters who went to cover that later, just found some intermediate jams but not the 100 km long one!
LimpFish
My girlfriend lived in Shanghai for a while, and she said that they had the best subway system she's ever seen. Brand new, clean, and super fast. Now this was Beijing though... might not have the same public transportation capabilities...
hunnyhiteshseth
I heard now a 3 day jam has happened in China! It seems like a crazy place to be!
Nemesis234
surely after a few hours your late for where-ever your going and just turn around? i dont understand how they can last that long, lol.
liljp617
Nemesis234 wrote:
surely after a few hours your late for where-ever your going and just turn around? i dont understand how they can last that long, lol.

Unless you're trying to get home... Confused
inuyasha
That's really annoying. There was a terrible traffic jam in Chengdu as well. The bus was delayed 2 hours!! I thought I missed the last one and took a taxi, only to watch the bus passed by...