FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why do People have difficulty in learning lesson frm HISTORY

baboosaa
Though i am not a historian or student of history, i try to know as much as possible about history as i can because i consider history as EXTENDED PRESENT not just as simply past for it is very easy to know that history always affect our present.

From War ( whether it is military war or civil war) to Economic Crash, Great depression,,From Genocide by dictator to Mass destruction of human and property by IMPERIALISM of country, there are lots of lessons which history has given us.But human civilization is repeating those same mistakes again. Are we ,our leaders , our brothers and sisters ... are deaf, blind or what? or we are taking history very lightly or its lessons as granted.

HISTORY REPEATS . HISTORY REPEATS.
gverutes
It's not that people forget, it's precisely that they choose to forget.
HoytJolly
sometimes it is difficult to understand the importance of a lesson unless you experience it firsthand.
Bluedoll
Actually, I think mankind does learn. Take for example an economic depression. This event seems to be a cycle of woes that lead down to it and if not inverted will certainly happen.

Now, isn't it true there was one in the late 19 century that gave insight into how banks would be affected by "a run on the money." That depression taught people more about the systems they were employing. Then in the 1929 crash the great depression demonstrated what worked and what didn't work.

History taught people to be more aware of these things so that in the latest economic woe of the 21 century the fault was dealt with using more knowledge than if the other two events had not happened. Now, there is still lots to learn but certainly it could have been a lot worse?

On the other hand modern smoking habits have demonstrated clearly the pitfalls of this addictive habit yet each generation wants to continue down the same road used by the previous generation. History can be ignored but I suppose it does allow us to wave our hand when the same mistakes are made and go "told you so!"
slashnburn99
because we all think we are right we have two Ears

but only ever use one at a time, im sure of it
watersoul
I reckon the average person of any country would love the painful bits of history to never repeat themselves.

But while we have individual countries, controlled in an incestuous environment of mainstream media and seedy political dealing, we will always see these problems somewhere in the world.
Defence industries need sales, the free-market needs a certain number of people at any given time to have next to nothing, in fact there wouldn't be enough resources to provide the luxury of first world life for everyone. (imagine if the 30% of Venezuelan's living on $2 per day suddenly had air-con etc, and the effect this would have on the amount of oil they export to us)

Be it wars over land, oil, food, religion or water supplies, as long as our world is made up of "tribes" protecting their own, and controlled by an elite decision making few, there will always be tragedy for some in the history as yet unwritten.

History is the record of these mistakes, and maybe one day we'll all wake up after reading enough "bad repeats", especially now as we, the masses, can record our own history so easily, communicate it world-wide and question our sources for what is supposed to be "the news"
Lady Elensar
That's because all the powerful people think they can do it better. They always want more power, whether they succeed or not. In the first place everybody thinks he's doing it right and better. I guess. And mostly they don't want to see their mistakes, if they're making mistakes.
eneka38
It's not that people forget, they just think that they will not end up like the others because their plan is better. But unknown to them, theirs might be even worse.
Cheeldash
People actually learn from the history a lot, the matter is that many end with the wrong considerations, for a example a fascist would think of fascism as a good part of history and will act to empowering fascism.
Why those people learn the wrong thing is maybe dued to the fact that there is a very low darwin selection on the human species, and so who should not pass the natural selection is instead yet here.
watersoul
I stood in silence for 2 minutes today, with many hundreds of strangers in the town square, all quietly giving thought to the lost lives of past & present conflict. It was a shared sombre & emotional moment in a busy area of commerce unusually lacking moving vehicles or the hustle and bustle of the crowds.

...after today, I really don't think it's average "people" who don't learn the lessons of history, it's the few who govern us.
Bikerman
I had a particularly rowdy group of BTEC students this morning. I explained why we would be observing a 2 minute silence at 11, but didn't really expect them to be able to do it.
They observed the silence immaculately - I was so moved that I almost choked-up. These are kids who find it difficult to shut-up for 10 seconds, never mind 2 whole minutes, yet there wasn't a single noise from them during the 2 mins - not a shuffled chair, a cough, sneeze or whispered comment.
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:
I had a particularly rowdy group of BTEC students this morning. I explained why we would be observing a 2 minute silence at 11, but didn't really expect them to be able to do it.
They observed the silence immaculately - I was so moved that I almost choked-up. These are kids who find it difficult to shut-up for 10 seconds, never mind 2 whole minutes, yet there wasn't a single noise from them during the 2 mins - not a shuffled chair, a cough, sneeze or whispered comment.

Wow, yet another example that "people", even angry youth can learn from history. I think with war we all understand the horrors & loss, but its the folk at the top who decide when the people go to fight.
I'd have been choked with that display of respect from normally unruly students - maybe those 2 minutes of silent reflection every year help us all learn from history, because it's a moment when we all actually think deeply about it.
Bikerman
Well, I can't say that they were all reflecting deeply on the past - that would be asking way too much - but nonetheless their willingness to see and respect the fact that others thought it was important was very impressive to me.
watersoul
If I had a gun to my head I'd say most of them probably did for those 2 minutes though. My 13 yr old lad told me they did today in his class- the shared silence is hypnotic and really makes us all think, even if they all forget 2 minutes afterwards, it was a beautiful moment of reflection shared for the short time it lasted.
baboosaa
If some one does exactly what you say to do and that person does it, the can we say that the person has done some learning. There this big No. But again it feels simple because the call from above just before the time of devastation most of the times keeps people hanging in the rope above alligators about which they are completely unaware. But life is uncertain and that is exactly what makes life interesting.
gandalfthegrey
History is simply learning lessons from the past.

It does not even have to be global or national history. Personal histories can teach us many life lessons, yet our children and children's children often end up making the very mistakes we made.
I remember I almost died once as a teen from drinking too much (simply because I did not know my limits yet). Yet stupid teenagers overdrink and end up hospitalized all the time.

Another area that could benefit from looking at history is anything that involved working with others in a group - be it in a non-profit, a board of directors, an activist group, etc.
The same kinds of debates and conflicts keep occurring. I often feel like young activists today have not learned anything from the 1960s/1970s and our mistakes and shortcomings for initiating the kind of change we sought.
deanhills
I don't think people really have the ability to think back for too long in order to learn lessons. Part of it is because they only live for a short while on earth. The other reason is that they think they are much more developed and that things are always different now than they have been before. Or economics and politics may not favour looking back at previous lessons that have been learned. Smile