FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Changing compression attribute on NTFS partition

hunnyhiteshseth
IN SHORT my question is:
Is there a way to change compression attribute of files on NTFS partition without actually compressing the files?

THE DESCRIPTIVE VERSION OF MY QUESTION- WITH BACKGROUND INCLUDED

Recently one of my NTFS partition became unreadable. But, I was able to recover most of my files - but with one problem. While recovering the files, I lost the compression status of files. So, whatever files were compressed got recovered but with compression bit set to 'Uncompressed'.
Now, what is happening is that when I try to open these files - obviously Windows DOESN'T recognize them as compressed and consequently, don't decompresses them while reading. Therefore, I am unable to read these files.
So, I was wondering if there is some way to again mark these files as compressed without actually compressing them?
PureReborn
download 7zip (or winrar or any compression programm) and use the program to uncompress them.
hunnyhiteshseth
No I have tried that, it won't work. Although algorithm used by LZNT1 by NTFS filesystem is known but exact implementation details are not known. So, these programs are not able to decompress the file.
meep
try having a look at this, I don't understand it myself but it seems it can be uncompressed.
Code:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364592(VS.85).aspx

making it a link won't work Sad