FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

random chats with strangers

The-Nisk
So I've been bored out out of my head one night a couple of days bacl, didn't feel like a movie, certainly not like gaming, so I decided to try something random....so I went to omegle, i was on that site once before but found nothing particularly interesting in talking to strangers (perhaps it was just my mindset).

Now, after a couple of retarded conversations, I came across some really, really good ones, I got to discuss literature, politics, philosophy, music, films and relationships with a number of people. Essentially, when you consider the odds, I now hold the human race in a much higher esteem in general, since the statistic of smart interesting people to silly, stupid ones wasn't as low as I once thought. I've even started exchanging e-mails with some of the people I got talking to there, so yeah, I've found something surprising and something I certainly wasn't looking for. I would highly recommend checking it out a couple of times, maybe on separate days, just to see if you find a good conversation sometime Smile

Peace out folks, let me know what you think Smile
Magicman
I've been on Omegle a few times and had some good conversations. However it is often difficult to find intelligent conversations on sites like that. However it is just like conversations in real life. You can always meet random people wherever you go and have great conversations. Sometimes when you find a new connection with someone like that, it is the best kind of conversation.
Greatking
You guys are right, i have experienced this in real life where you meet people and you just start chatting and it gets interesting. some of them its so silly you just move on. i guess when you go on chat sites and you realize you are not so interested in the chat you just move on. its really like real life where you meet people who do not understand what you are saying or cannot seem to see past what they think and know, in this case you just get over it and find people who go with your kind of flow.
hersandal
I have tried this also using mIRC and we do meet in real life and getting to know each other. But after you don't go right well together you can just find another friend from any channel or chatters around mIRC.
ProwerBot
The only thing I ever find on Omegle is people jacking off :/
Ghost Rider103
hersandal wrote:
I have tried this also using mIRC and we do meet in real life and getting to know each other. But after you don't go right well together you can just find another friend from any channel or chatters around mIRC.

mIRC is a good way to chat with multiple people.

Would be nice to see some more Frihoster's on the official Frihost channel.
missdixy
So I had no idea this place existed. I love websites like this and love having random chats with people! I used to love that salmon thing on AIM but it doesn't work anymore. Thanks for posting about this. I am now off to meet some new people to chat with.
Insanity
The thing is that you have to sort through a lot of trash and trolls before you can find an authetic person trying to do the same thing you are. It's a bit discouraging when you find someone jacking off like they do on Chatroulette, but when you find someone who isn't a troll or a giant pervert, then it's great.
missdixy
Insanity wrote:
The thing is that you have to sort through a lot of trash and trolls before you can find an authetic person trying to do the same thing you are. It's a bit discouraging when you find someone jacking off like they do on Chatroulette, but when you find someone who isn't a troll or a giant pervert, then it's great.

i am not doing video strangers, only chat, and so far i've ran into only a few perverts, though a lot of boring/bored people. only one good convo so far, but only tried about 10 times
Flakky
Omegle is great. Got a few friends from that place Smile
There are really a lot of interesting people though a lot of garbage. But when you get used to Omegle you can easily spot the bad ones and go on searching for more interesting people.

When someone starts a conversation with "ASL?" I expect him wanting me to answer that I am a girl, if not he will probably disconnect. Also people who can't even greet you but rush into questions are often idiots.

People who ask how I am doing before asking me for my ASL are doing a very good job as they are more polite than curious Smile
Bluedoll
I have something much better than that site though what I use is much more complex but much more manageable!

I tried that site five times. First three were hi, asl, then disconnected? I don’t respond well to asl. Fourth one was better but the person was from China and took 1minute to respond to each line. Fifth and last “Wht you waiting for let's _ _ _ _” which ended my trial there.
missdixy
Flakky wrote:
Omegle is great. Got a few friends from that place Smile
There are really a lot of interesting people though a lot of garbage. But when you get used to Omegle you can easily spot the bad ones and go on searching for more interesting people.

When someone starts a conversation with "ASL?" I expect him wanting me to answer that I am a girl, if not he will probably disconnect. Also people who can't even greet you but rush into questions are often idiots.

People who ask how I am doing before asking me for my ASL are doing a very good job as they are more polite than curious Smile

I hate when people ask for ASL right off the bat. I don't want to lie and say Male, but by saying Female i often get a lot of pervy people OR people who pretend to have interest in an actual conversation and make little conversation and then venture into the whole 'do you have a boyfriend' conversation or begin to say something that leads to pervyness. Originally I met a few people who were not that pervy but they were also not that interesting.
Utopia GFR
I tried Omegle last evening and I started a chat with a guy from India.

The concept of random chat is not new, I remember chatting with random people back in 1998 while using the ICQ application (some of them became really good online and offline friends with me).

What basically changed is that you are now automatically logged in and have to start chatting with people (one at the time with Omegle and you can't pick up a nickname) using a text or video (I haven't reached that point yet) interface.

On a larger aspect, I think that e-socializing is pretty cool and that's it quite easy to make new friends out there if you are kind and respectful Smile

Of course, using those online tools mean that you really have time available for others, so yeah, I guess it's worth trying at least once! Smile
Bluedoll
Utopia GFR wrote:
I tried Omegle last evening and I started a chat with a guy from India.

The concept of random chat is not new, I remember chatting with random people back in 1998 while using the ICQ application (some of them became really good online and offline friends with me).

What basically changed is that you are now automatically logged in and have to start chatting with people (one at the time with Omegle and you can't pick up a nickname) using a text or video (I haven't reached that point yet) interface.

On a larger aspect, I think that e-socializing is pretty cool and that's it quite easy to make new friends out there if you are kind and respectful Smile

Of course, using those online tools mean that you really have time available for others, so yeah, I guess it's worth trying at least once! Smile

I agree time is a big factor in e-socializing. Really liked your comment about being kind and respectful to make new friends, that is cool. I suppose you just have to manage your time the best you can. I find personally, I make it my responsibilty not to waste my time. At the same time I do understand that when we 'connect' well with someone else you need to enjoy the moment because it may not come back to you again.
meep
The funniest thing about sites like omegle is just starting a conversation like you're role playing and see if they tag along, here's an example:
You: They're coming! They're coming! RUN!!
Stranger: Who's coming?
You: They are! Don't ask questions and run!

etc..

I did that a few times and it's good when you're bored, hard to find someone willing to cooperate though. But when you do you certainly have a laugh lol Very Happy
Flakky
meep wrote:
The funniest thing about sites like omegle is just starting a conversation like you're role playing and see if they tag along, here's an example:

etc..

I did that a few times and it's good when you're bored, hard to find someone willing to cooperate though. But when you do you certainly have a laugh lol Very Happy

Yeah, you can really produce some crazy stuff online and get together in crazyness Razz
Bluedoll
meep wrote:

What do I pack? Should I pack? Do I need to be scared? How much time do we have? Sorry, about all these questions. Which direction? Wink
watersoul
I'd never heard about that site either, but like other replies, I was also chatting in the early text boxes back in the early ninetys (wow, that does make me feel old now lol).

Its like all forms of communication with other people though, there's exciting, intelligent, boring, strange, inspiring and all other types you can imagine in people all over the world.
But my favourite random chats with strangers are the face to face people I meet on trains, walking home from a night out, or in other unexpected places. Even the odd-ball types can be some of the most interesting people ever, once we scratch the surface through a friendly conversation.
Bluedoll
watersoul wrote:
I'd never heard about that site either, but like other replies, I was also chatting in the early text boxes back in the early ninetys (wow, that does make me feel old now lol).

Its like all forms of communication with other people though, there's exciting, intelligent, boring, strange, inspiring and all other types you can imagine in people all over the world.
But my favourite random chats with strangers are the face to face people I meet on trains, walking home from a night out, or in other unexpected places. Even the odd-ball types can be some of the most interesting people ever, once we scratch the surface through a friendly conversation.
Isn’t it wonderful there are more than just one personality type in the world? Lots of variety does make it interesting. Finding what other people are interested in talking about is key maybe, in having those random chats anywhere. I like conversations on the go too and find they are different than those I might have in the comfort and security of my own home.
watersoul
Bluedoll wrote:
Isn’t it wonderful there are more than just one personality type in the world? Lots of variety does make it interesting. Finding what other people are interested in talking about is key maybe, in having those random chats anywhere. I like conversations on the go too and find they are different than those I might have in the comfort and security of my own home.

Absolutely agree there Bluedoll, I also notice that the chats "on the go" with people we're unlikely to ever meet again are so much different. I find people open up much more (myself included) and it's amazing how honest and deep you can get with a random stranger if you find you share similar views or interests.
Saying that, I've even learned some great alternative opinions from strangers that have made me think more about my own pre-concieved views! Smile
Ghost900
I have never been to Omegle before but from chat rooms and in-person conversations I have had plenty of nice conversations though I have run into a few people that enjoy being dumb. Overall I find most people make for good conversations.
Josso
It's too full of btards and general idiots, but yeah interestingly sometimes you get a decent conversation. It's easier to talk to people anonymously anyway, I've got a few people on MSN which by the bizarre coincidence of that site are into similar kind of stuff.
ankitdatashn
Never knew about the website as mentioned, although I think random chats I have already done with people while chatting on sites such as yahoo games while playing pool etc!
standready
I prefer to start chatting with those around me (face to face). It can be quick and interesting. Online chats seem have too many pretenders. I want real and honest conversation.
deanhills
standready wrote:
I prefer to start chatting with those around me (face to face). It can be quick and interesting. Online chats seem have too many pretenders. I want real and honest conversation.
Well said for me too standready. I prefer the real McCoy of a face to face. Any day.
soljarag
i have never heard of Omegle , but I have been on chatroulette...... it was an... interesting experence.....
Navigator
Sorry, you lost me, I thought you were talking about omelets, yum.....
timothymartin
I consider all the forum members here total strangers. Even when I think I know someone, they still do strange things.
goutha
I used to do that in the end of 90s'. But it's not funny anymore. Even chatroulette is not funny. It's just funny to watch videos on youtube about people's experience on chatroulette...
watersoul
timothymartin wrote:
I consider all the forum members here total strangers. Even when I think I know someone, they still do strange things.

...and we mostly are just total strangers sharing opinions that have nothing other than the typed words themselves to back them up. The random crazy person types I mentioned earlier that I meet on the street and look in the eye are less of a stranger than an avatar and username I'm in a discussion with.

It's only when I shake a hand and look into a pair of eyes that I truly "feel" another person...and thats when the term "stranger" is finally lost to me.
deanhills
I think that sometimes even the people closest to us can act like strangers. It feels like you may have summed them up wrong, and I don't necessarily mean in a negative sense. In fact the contrast between some one you know acting differently than expected, can even be stranger than connecting up with strangers.
toasterintheoven
No harm in chatting with strangers, most of us will remain strangers even to ourselves till the day we die
The-Nisk
Wow, there were really some interesting opinions expressed here, or rather I was pleasantly surprised how focused people were on 'moments' and words we happen to exchange with someone, somewhere at those times. You people keep it interesting, good job! Smile

toasterintheoven wrote:
No harm in chatting with strangers, most of us will remain strangers even to ourselves till the day we die

that's very true.
Insanity
I think it's just too bad that a few bad apples have to ruin a good thing for the rest of us. I've been on Omegle and Chatroulette a couple times, and while there are a lot of good people out there, the amount of trolls and perverts is just insane. You would think that there would bes ome sort of filter against this, but no. It's a bit discouraging and encouraging at the same time.