FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I adopted a cat

iyepes
I recently adopted a cat from a foundation, it's cute and playful. It uses his sand box, and climb every where (as I expected).

However I haven't been able to make it understand that my meals aren't for him. He climbs to the table and tries to eat from my plate. Today I spilled my milk trying to avoid him licking the meat sauce.

Does anyone of you know a good method to make a cat clear that certain things aren't allowed? He just ignores me.

Thanks.
badai
you have to scold him. he'll know, and after a while he won't do it.
LittleBlackKitten
Water in a spray bottle. They don't like it, and will associate the table with water, and will avoid it to avoid the water. It is also humane and inexpensive.
menino
Congratulations on your cat. Hope it does not turn out to be a CATastrophe.

Nice idea Littleblackkitten, as shouting proves to be ineffective usually to cats.
jwellsy
Good on ya, for giving a shelter animal a chance to have a decent life.

Don't talk to the cat in full sentences. Animals do not understand sentences. They do understand positive and negative energy. When it does something you don't like you have to give it some immediate negative energy feedback. Don't be mean. But, certainly claim your space and food. If you don't set boundaries and limitations the behavior problems will escalate.
nigam
nice idea for some animals who needs shelter, food and care from us...well, i guess you need a book on how to discipline a cat...i maybe not a cat fanatic but i adore watching cats walking together with the owners.my neighbor has a cat who is well discipline from urinating to poop in his own place so that our neighbor can easily clean it and he doesn't poop everywhere...though he said it took him months to trained his cat.
iyepes
I have to say that my cat is sick, it has diarrhea. Veterinary gave me a prescription, but it hasn't worked yet.

About his behavior, he told me I should keep him away from the table any time, with people eating or not, so it understand it's an forbidden place.
Mrs Lycos
Also cats don't like certain noises, like the one you do with a newspaper roll. You just don't have to hit the cat with it, just keep the roll next to you on the table, and if the cat comes near, hit the table with it. That or the water spray. You need to make the cat associate things you don't want it to do with unpleasant things.
yagnyavalkya
Nice of you to adopt
I like pets
Flakky
We have a bowl on our table, and when the cat is on the table, we put them in the bowl. After a while they won't harras your food but go into the bowl. Maybe reward them after dinner by shoving the plates to the bowl so they can eat.

And you sir commited a crime. For having a new cat and not posting pictures online Wink
erlendhg
iyepes wrote:
I recently adopted a cat from a foundation, it's cute and playful. It uses his sand box, and climb every where (as I expected).

However I haven't been able to make it understand that my meals aren't for him. He climbs to the table and tries to eat from my plate. Today I spilled my milk trying to avoid him licking the meat sauce.

Does anyone of you know a good method to make a cat clear that certain things aren't allowed? He just ignores me.

Thanks.

Oh, that is so sweet! Do you want to share a picture of him with us? Well, he sure sounds like a cheeky guy. Good luck trying to tame him. I know some cats just rule the house they live in.
watersoul
Just a slightly angry sounding "OI!" and push them off the table/other banned places has worked for all my cats over the years. They get the message after a while, they are pretty clever.
...and don't worry about pushing your cat off the table/kitchen counter, they're pretty amazing at landing, and it will only annoy them - something I find has to be done with cats sometimes (especially females) because if they see a weakness in you they will exploit it, you are the boss not them, you buy the food!

I hope you have many happy years with your little cat Smile
standready
When my cat first came into my home. I had a rolled up paper. If he jumped on the kitchen counter or table, I would tap (not smack) him with the rolled paper and tell him "NO!" in a firm voice then smacked the paper against my leg. He learned quickly. Now if I hear him doing something wrong, I don't even get up, I just pop the paper against my leg and he heads for the basement.
iyepes
I tell him NO firmly, but it only gets the idea for few minutes. By now I put it away from the table every time it climbs or I put my hand in from of it to avoid his climbing.

My cat has a very peculiar behavior, he brings me a little ball of fabric, so I throw it, he gets the ball back, so I can throw it away again.... like a dog, ha, ha.

It also follow me for all the house, where I am, there it is.

I really love it.
daredninja
iyepes wrote:
I tell him NO firmly, but it only gets the idea for few minutes. By now I put it away from the table every time it climbs or I put my hand in from of it to avoid his climbing.

My cat has a very peculiar behavior, he brings me a little ball of fabric, so I throw it, he gets the ball back, so I can throw it away again.... like a dog, ha, ha.

It also follow me for all the house, where I am, there it is.

I really love it.

I would love it if I my cat would act more like a dog.

I barely see mine.. It's like two strangers living under one roof!
iyepes
erlendhg wrote:
Oh, that is so sweet! Do you want to share a picture of him with us? Well, he sure sounds like a cheeky guy. Good luck trying to tame him. I know some cats just rule the house they live in.

I found out an interesting solution to avoid him licking some things, not the dinner table, but doors, cans, etc. I bought a cat shampoo, I've never dare to wash it, but the liquid is excelent repelent for cats, he dislikes its taste and I know it's cat's safe Smile

This is him, or that used to be him six months ago, now it is a little older and certainly bigger.

BTW, can you tell me how can I shrink the photo?

foumy6
scolding works and if he/she is going places you dont want to put some vinegar in a spray bottle in the area around it the cat wont go near it and the smell doesnt take very long at all to fade
loyal
Woah massive photo. Cute cat though! Good luck in raising it!
nigam
wow...what a huge photo you've got Smile anyways, congratulations!!! i admire people who will adopt pet in a foundation...take good care of it.....
yagnyavalkya
Nonhuman mammal wellbeing qualified persons have been decisive of acceptance programs that do not charge a fee for adult cats, in spite of the elevated euthanasia speed for cats owing to a reported lack of homes. The disagreement alongside the free cat acceptance cites a depreciation of the cat, which may have an effect on the adopter's apparent worth of the cat and following care. It might also draw low-income adopters who are alleged as unable to accomplish the monetary accountability of acting as caregiver of a cohort animal . A study http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~db=all~content=a915174213 scrutinized adopters' connection to their cats in relation to the payment or waiver of an embracing fee using the Lexington Attachment to Pets Scale and observation of the sanctuary. No noteworthy distinction were established connecting groups on whichever quantify. Programs such as this produce an chance to definitely concern cats in animal shelters by finding additional homes; programs such as this also affect cat overpopulation by putting more changed cats into the group of people.
sketteksalfa
it's to know that you care of your cat!!
for me you must separate your food and your cat food!!
JonathanCharles
Hey ,
you need a professional trainer who can give some kinda of etiquette training to ur cat.
Tesa323
That's really cool of you. The cat seems cool. Maybe spray water on him
roepjenaam
I love my lovely doggy
alli2000
water spray bottle works for my cat, thanks to this board:)
FastDebrid
How kind of you to adopt. Smile Good for you. Smile

Try serving his (or her?) food first before preparing your own. Try talking to him (or her?) as well.
It helps.
Marcuzzo
this sounds like my cat too. he even looks like yours Very Happy
he used to jump on the table to "steal" food off of my plate and the water spray helped a lot.
nowadays he will not do it if someone is in the same room.
but when nobody is arround and sees the opportunity he will still go for it.
I've stopped trying after a year or so, now I just make sure that there is no food or even milk cartons on the table or the counter.
and yes, one day I had left a milk carton on the table and when I got back home I found out that he had chewed it open and drank most of it, the rest was all over the floor.
I just hope he doesn't learn how to open the cupboard Laughing
jonashendrickx
cats only come home to eat and sleep. Take a dog Very Happy
Mistyqee
I would say to use a spray bottle Smile
LegendVPN
I use a spray bottle too. It works for me.
oreogami
Now I wish I had a cat more now.
Nice cat! He looks really friendly like my dog.
silverdown
<---- Cat fan 100% Very Happy
Insanity
Cats are awesome. So much more awesome than dogs. IMO.
Jaylan
I think your cat is restless. You should train him properly.
alithebest
I cnt buy a cat but my dad hate ncats Sad

CATCATCAT !

Greeting
yolandarker
i am a dog lover