FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A game CHESS

granvals
It's a game.BUT it can be played as a comepetitive game.
Game is defined in Dictionary.Com as:
a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Sport is defined as:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Athletic is defined as:

involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina.

Since chess does not involve the use of physical skills or capabilities, it is not athletic. And to be a sport, an activity has to be athletic.

Thus chess is not a sport.

Those who maintain that chess is a sport point out that chess at the highest tournament levels requires physical endurance, since chess matches can last several hours, during which you have to be in top physical condition. The more physically conditioned you are, the better you will be able to maintain the intense concentration necessary to win such a long game. Furthermore, one often has to play matches lasting days or weeks.

However, this is a specious argument, since calling the ability to sit and concentrate for extended periods a "physical skill" is reaching. If this were a valid argument, then almost any activity would be athletic. For example, since waiters have to have stamina, waiting tables would be an athletic activity.

Of course, they have things like Billiards, Poker, and cup stacking on ESPN nowadays, so the answer is debatable. I would agree that it is not a sport, but many people will say that it is.

source :wikianswers
granvals
I like CHESS,I think it is a sport Game Cool
gverutes
My college roomate was so addicted to online chess that he spent all nights playing. His goal was to become top 10 in the world in a game called Crazy Horse (times chess matches). He never made it to 10, but did develop a cist in his neck from all the stress.
menino
Chess is a really good game.
It teaches you strategies and you get to know your opponents through their moves.

But a cist in the neck from too much chess is bad and scary.
codegeek
Discussing whether chess is a game or a sport is just discussing semantics. The truth of the matter is that it is the 3rd most popular game in the world, behind soccer and lawn tennis. As such, the number of amateur as well professional chess players in the world is quite substantial. There are innumerable chess tournaments being held around the world every day. The top players in the world earn millions of dollars per year. At the world championship level, both participants are paid milliions by the sponsors and organizers, regardless of the results. Of course, playing chess at such levels requires such a great dedication to the game that one might have to devote one's entire life to chess. In my view, it is a question of hard work and passion combined with a superb talent. Returning to the topic at hand, I think it does not matter whether chess can be classified as a proper "sport" or not because it is a highly respectable, intellectual and competitive game, which is extremely popular all over the world.