FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

get green vertical line on laptop screen

rjraaz
hello friends help needed.

few days ago a vertical green line appeared on my dell studio 1555 laptop screen
Fire Boar
If you're still in warranty, send it to the manufacturer to fix. Hardware faults like this should be fixed as soon as possible by a professional. DIY rarely works with laptops, you'll at best invalidate your warranty and at worst brick your computer.
rjraaz
Is this really hardware problem or any other, actually i have updated my bios with new version is it may be problem due to that.

my laptop is outoff warranty a month before and they ask me for Rs. 18000 to fix this problem.

thanks in advance

Fire Boar wrote:
If you're still in warranty, send it to the manufacturer to fix. Hardware faults like this should be fixed as soon as possible by a professional. DIY rarely works with laptops, you'll at best invalidate your warranty and at worst brick your computer.
Fire Boar
It's most likely a monitor fault, though it could also be the graphics card. It's a funny thing, but computers tend to die quite quickly just after they come out of warranty.
rjraaz
Fire Boar wrote:
It's most likely a monitor fault, though it could also be the graphics card. It's a funny thing, but computers tend to die quite quickly just after they come out of warranty.

Thanks for your replies

i have resolved this it just due to incomplete installation of graphics card driver

but that person made me fool and ask for money or they really dont know so much about technical information about there products.

by the way thanks again
Flakky
rjraaz wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

Thanks for your replies

i have resolved this it just due to incomplete installation of graphics card driver

but that person made me fool and ask for money or they really dont know so much about technical information about there products.

by the way thanks again

Mostly they just accept your computer and send them to another company.
Maybe you can look around for others shops which custom build PCs instead of importing Dells. In my experience big companies tend to hire cheap, unskilled workers. Smaller shops often need their expertise to stay competetive.
rjraaz
Flakky wrote:
rjraaz wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

Thanks for your replies

by the way thanks again

Mostly they just accept your computer and send them to another company.
Maybe you can look around for others shops which custom build PCs instead of importing Dells. In my experience big companies tend to hire cheap, unskilled workers. Smaller shops often need their expertise to stay competetive.

Sorry i have solved my problem my own.
it just a problem of corrupted graphics card driver.
FunDa
rjraaz wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

Thanks for your replies

by the way thanks again

Good for you.

So now, a quick checklist for those who get any similar problems.

What to do if there is a new colored line on your monitor:

1) Confirm whether it is hardware or software.

2) Check whether the line comes in the initial BIOS booting up screens. If it does, probably hardware.
2a) Hardware can be graphics card or monitor problem
2b) Connect another monitor and check
2c) If it is laptop, then connect a monitor to the VGA out and check
2c) Rarely it can also be RAM error

3) If it comes only after Windows(or whatever OS) is booted up, then its a problem with the software.
3a) Could be graphics card driver
3b) Could be motherboard
3c) Could be any other software

Hope this helps.

The thread can probably be locked now. Very Happy
rjraaz
yes it can be locked now
CheDragon
that happened to my old laptop... a cable began to wear off and was causing that
hersandal
The way we do this before is to get stylus and press the edge of the screen of the laptop going from end to end so that the screen will be tighten, specially if you hear a buzzing sound on the screen this should work great.
airh3ad
Maybe there is a problem on LCD screen better to check the warrany status on dell website or check your video card if its properly installed. or run dell diagnostic tools.
jmfernandez
Your LCD might be ruined. Send your laptop to professional service center to fix your LCD. They might just fix the defective parts or replaced it with a new LCD part.
ankur209
Run to the nearest Dell Centre !!Smile
ocalhoun
rjraaz wrote:

Sorry i have solved my problem my own.
it just a problem of corrupted graphics card driver.

Since the problem has been solved, this topic will be locked, by author request.
To reopen, ask any staff member.

-close-