FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DSL modem went bad

Tony The Tiger
On July 30th, my DSL shut down. At first AT&T told me that I had a service outage in my area according to their records regarding my POP address. Other people in my same building that also use AT&T said that they were not affected. Eventually, AT&T did some trouble shooting and said that my DSL modem has gone bad. Is it possible for an outage to remotely cause a DSL modem to essentially get fried to the point of being totally inoperable.
ankur209
I hope so...May it is possible...!!

or Should Try calling them once... Embarassed
Marcuzzo
Hi Tony
In most cases dsl modems don't have an external power supply but will receive power via the copperwires, just like a telephone.
If something went wrong at the exchange, it may have taken a powersurge, which can be fatal.
if it does have an external power supply then it probably has got nothing to do with any kind of network event
Tony The Tiger
Marcuzzo wrote:
Hi Tony
In most cases dsl modems don't have an external power supply but will receive power via the copperwires, just like a telephone.
If something went wrong at the exchange, it may have taken a powersurge, which can be fatal.
if it does have an external power supply then it probably has got nothing to do with any kind of network event

Mine has a separate power cord and jack.