FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Configuring a Motherboard

MonkeyWrench
If a motherboard is placed on carpet for a few seconds, what is the chance of it not working?
kansloos
eeeuh..
0,000243%
MonkeyWrench
so thats a good chance its fine yes?
gh0stface
There's a good chance that it might be fine. However why risk putting it on the carpet in the first place? Even a slight jolt of a static electricity can ruin it. You should just put the motherboard on wood tables or other non-electric conducting materials in order to minimize the risk of ruining your motherboard.
izcool
In many motherboard manuals that I've read through, they always say that you should touch the motherboard as least as possible. They say to keep it in an antistatic bag until you need it. I disregarded those books and did whatever to my motherboards and they're still fine. I bought one from eBay where it was packed in packing noodles without an antistatic bag and it was fine when I put it in. I would say that the chance of it not working if you sat it on the carpet for a few seconds are very slim. If the carpet were wet, then that might be a different story.

- Mike.
MonkeyWrench
i gently laid it on the carpet for say 5 seconds, the carpet isnt very fluffy nor was it wet, but i have read if u wear socks on carpet it can generate static, but i cant remember how much movement i did Razz
Aelita
funny story, but anyway you prolly dont need to worry too much. Ive shorted out plenty of things on my carpet, But they always seem to work fine in a few hours, dumb luck maybe, but I also tend to accidently kick them around which is what causes it in the first place, but if you're having some problem with it it's prolly human error with installation. No offense or anything just saying. See what happens when you install it and post that on here see if someone can help if you're having a problem.
carlokes
I would say...probably its something else....
izcool
MonkeyWrench wrote:
i gently laid it on the carpet for say 5 seconds, the carpet isnt very fluffy nor was it wet, but i have read if u wear socks on carpet it can generate static, but i cant remember how much movement i did Razz

Yeah I'm sorry about that, I've completely forgotten about that too. You rub your feet on the carpet for awhile and you gain static electricity. Funny to "zap" people when they least know it. Razz

Your motherboard should be fine, not unless if you tied it on a leash and dragged it all over your carpet, you might be in trouble there lol. Rolling Eyes

- Mike.
MonkeyWrench
as i said before, it was gently laid down on the carpet, and as far as i can remember i didnt rub my fleet on the floor especially to create static to blow up my motherboard Razz
sibbahz
The motherboard should be fine as long as it wasnt rubbed against the carpet.
If it doesnt work, send it back if its new they should be able to tell if it was your fault or not.
Donutey
I've actually fried a motherboard, but not by carpet, it was a pull from an old PII system. My advice, don't wrap system components in clothes. Laughing

You need to be careful especially when it starts to get dry (winter) but other than that... welll... you should always be careful. Rolling Eyes
TheGeek
yea, i would say that even though the odds are low, it probably is what did it. One of those freak accidents that you sorta just...could have avoided but it happened. In the future try to keep components in static free bags or the static free bags they come in untill you need them.
MonkeyWrench
yup motherboard is fine, no problems, apart from the processor fan doesnt fit properly Sad
Donutey
MonkeyWrench wrote:
yup motherboard is fine, no problems, apart from the processor fan doesnt fit properly Sad

dont force it!! >remembers stupid slot 1 heatsinks< lol
chiragcoolboy
Many times i have kept it openly on table, carpet but it works fine Razz
Prabhu Raj
Hi if you put the mother board on a clean carpet, it wouldnt harm the mother board but if you put it on a dirty carpet, the mother board circuits gets shortes. this is coz the dirt has metal elements and also carry electrical charges. (simillar to dirt attracting condensed water vapour to form clouds)

So where ever you put make sure that the place is clean and non conductive.