FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wacken, Germany

Afaceinthematrix
Next year I want to embark on my metalhead pilgrimage to the Wacken Open Air festival in Wacken, Germany. Wacken Open Air 2011 will be from from Wednesday, Aug. 3 to Saturday, Aug. 6.

However, I am not quite sure what to expect while traveling in Germany - I have never been to Europe before. Are there any Germans here who can put me at ease? Is it relatively easy to travel in Germany? Will it be easy to get from the airport (which I assume will be in Hamburg, Germany) to the town of Wacken? Are there buses? Trains? What German phrases should I study most?

Furthermore, is there anyone who has been to the Wacken Festival? Is it similar to an Ozzfest (except with better bands, more bands, and several days verses one day)? I have seen a lot on the Wacken Festival and I have been to other festivals, but have never been to Wacken...

Wacken Open Air 2008 seemed like the best to date. It featured many great bands such as: Iron Maiden, Ensiferum, Kamelot, Opeth, Children of Bodom, Sonata Arctica, 3 Inches of Blood, Exodus, Nightwish, Kreator, Warbringer, and more!

Attending the Wacken Festival is a dream to most metalheads. However, I am nervous because I have never been to Europe and do not know what to expect... But I have the next year to figure these things out...
adri
German people are reaaaaallllyyyy friendly. I have been to Berlin once and everyone was helpful and friendly. Germany has pretty good roads and train. I just searched the german railroad site and it takes about 1hour 30 to get to Wacken.

Which phrases should you study most? Well it's hard to say, the best thing to do is to get a little translation book english -> german. Smile

Adri
Afaceinthematrix
Thanks for the advice. I have also been doing other research. I figured that since I am going all that way, I might as well make it an entire vacation. So I am going to be going to other places as well. I figured I might as well go to the Netherlands so that I can visit Amsterdam. I was also looking at plane tickets and found out that it is much cheaper to fly into Amsterdam than to fly into Hamburg. And so I will start my trip there (and end it there) and use the Eurorail (via a Eurorail pass) to get into Germany.

Furthermore, I will probably visit Luxembourg and Denmark although am unsure in what to do there. I have never had much desire to visit Europe (with the exception of visiting some of their heavy metal festivals - which is what is getting me to go there) but I am glad that I am going! Wacken 2011 should be amazing (hopefully the lineup is as good as some of the previous ones).

I am also going to try to do this as cheap as possible. I don't really eat (which saves me a lot of money on food) very often (I literally have to force myself to eat once a day and sometimes I go a couple days without eating because I forget to eat) and I do not care about quality food (so I will probably visit grocery stores and buy cheap stuff). But it is Germany so I will have quite a large bill because of beer...
deanhills
You seem to be already well prepared, and focussing on rail for transport is right on. Everything in Europe is effortless with travelling by rail. Germany particularly is well organized. Would probably be a good idea to learn a few words before you go. It is easy to get by with English, but may make things easier if you can speak a few German words, good way to make friends. Europe is expensive period. But if you're not going to eat, that will save a lot of money of course.
leila
Evil or Very Mad so jelous of your trip. My itinerary is already made and I'm set to travel the sights within my country. Hey, don't ge me wrong I love the sights here but I've written aboutthem so many times. its a welcome change to travel to Europe twice a year, too