FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Yesterdays incidents...fourwheelers.

ProwerBot
Yesterday was not a very good day.

Me and 3 of my friends went fourwheeling. We all met at my house. Literally a minute down the road, one of my friends eyes rolled because she has epilepsy and bumped the back of one of our wheelers, and she went flying onto the side of the road. She sprained her ankle. The people that lived right there helped us out and they called their mom. She came and took her to the hospital... and we brought her wheeler home. On the way there, one of my friends lost his phone and his wallet.

Then we came back to my house... and a little while later we decided to go again. On the trail he managed to find his phone but his wallet is still missing. On the trail, he accidentally hit a bump and went flying off the trail and down a ditch and hit a tree. SOMEHOW, hes still alive, and hes only cut up a little. But now the right brake thing is gone, and its a little bent in places, and its leaking gas. Did I mention this was his wheeler that he got THAT DAY?

And when my other friend looked behind and saw he wasn't there, he reversed and accidentally turned and rolled his own wheeler. Didn't go down the ditch but it crushed him a little and now he has a good sized rubber burn mark on his thigh.

Yeah.... wasn't a very good day for fourwheeling.
Bondings
Is fourwheeling similar to quads, jeeps or something else?
ProwerBot
Bondings wrote:
Is fourwheeling similar to quads, jeeps or something else?

Quads.
Bikerman
So 4-wheeler is short for quad....err, I wonder if this is the manufacturers rebranding because quads have become associated with death and disability?
Magicman
That sounds like a terrible day. Are you and your friends experienced with riding four wheelers? You must have been in a dangerous area.
As for the naming of the vehicle, I've always thought ATV, quad, and four-wheeler were all acceptable names for the same thing.
Bikerman
You could be right - I was just blowing smoke really - it was just that (as a biker) even I have started to make the mental equation quad=injury whenever I hear the word (I've ridden various quads over the years without a scratch, but I'm getting too old to stay up on the pegs for any period of time on rough ground Smile )
ProwerBot
Magicman wrote:
You must have been in a dangerous area.

When he went flying off the trail it wasn't in a dangerous area he just went around a big puddle on the trail and there was conveniently a nice little jump right there.
deanhills
ProwerBot wrote:
Yeah.... wasn't a very good day for fourwheeling.
Well at least one can say you never gave up. You kept at it until the very end. Probably deserve "quad" medals for that Smile
achowles
Quads are famous for being death traps and little else. The number of times I hear of accidents, both in life and in the news, ain't worth thinking about. It seems like the only real thing you can do with quads is damn near kill yourself... or worse.
standready
And hear I thought Quads were safer than the 3 wheel ATV that I enjoy. I hope that the one that went to the hospital is doing OK.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
So 4-wheeler is short for quad....err, I wonder if this is the manufacturers rebranding because quads have become associated with death and disability?

Redneck education time.

Four-wheelers and quads are similar, but have distinct differences.

A typical four-wheeler is heavier than a quad, slower, and has four-wheel-drive, they're designed more for being a utility vehicle, kind of like a very small jeep.

A quad (or quad bike) is typically much lighter and faster than a four-wheeler, and usually chain-driven two wheel drive. They're intended more for racing and jumping. Kind of like a dirt bike with four wheels.
Bikerman
Ahh....I am grateful for the information - I really didn't know that.
Magicman
standready wrote:
And hear I thought Quads were safer than the 3 wheel ATV that I enjoy.

I'm pretty sure the three wheelers are so dangerous that they are illegal to sell in my area. And ocalhoun, thanks for the information. I had no idea there was a difference.
andysart380
sounds to me like you guys arent very talented riders...and im not trying to staart anything im just wondering why your friend went out and bought a four wheeler when he didnt know exactly how to ride one
TurtleShell
When I was growing up, a boy in my school was in an accident with a 3 or 4 wheeler. He hit his head, went into a coma, and died. I still can't imagine how terrible that must have been for his parents.

All I can say is that it sounds like you should stay away from that activity and find something else to do, lest you experience something worse than what has already happened to you.

Take up golf or playing wii or hiking trails or paint ball or something.
ProwerBot
andysart380 wrote:
sounds to me like you guys arent very talented riders...and im not trying to staart anything im just wondering why your friend went out and bought a four wheeler when he didnt know exactly how to ride one

He was experienced, but experience or not its possible to have accidents.
Ghost900
I have heard of a number of accidents on four-wheelers from the news and from people I know. I personally have not ever flipped one before but I got pretty close to it. The thing is that four wheelers are so heavy that it is hard to get them off of you unless you are four-wheeling with others whereas they can help you. It sounds like a rough day but at least none of you were alone when it happened so you were able to help the wounded.
Ghost Rider103
andysart380 wrote:

That's a pretty ignorant thought.

So would you recommend to first learn how to ride one and then buy one? That would be pretty difficult if you don't actually own one.

Did you learn how to ride a bike before you (or parents/guardian) bought your first bike?

I'm sure one day you'll get into an accident with your car/truck. When that happens, ask yourself why you bought a vehicle when you had no experience in driving one. Laughing
Bikerman
I'm a pretty damn good rider if I say so myself. 25 + years riding everything from mopeds to superbikes. I have had plenty of crashes. On 3 occasions it was my fault alone - 2 on the track pushing beyond my limits, and one on the road - took my eye of the ball for a fraction of a second (that is all it takes). The other dozen or so are mainly down to others - although I have to accept that I could possibly have avoided some if I had been riding ultra-defensively (I am an advanced rider and I did training with police riders to get to that level, so I do know the techniques of defensive riding - but when you have 150bhp under you, even police riders can't always stop those horns poking through the crash helmet at times... Several incidents were completely unavoidable on my part. One still sticks in my mind. One of the things you learn early is that you try to make eye contact with any driver waiting at a junction - just to be sure they have seen you. If you can't be sure you slow and move to the centre of the road to give more time to react. I duly made eye contact - good eye contact since she acknowledged it - and she duly pulled straight out and t-boned me. She was completely unable to explain what went through her head - she was sobbing on the pavement receiving support and condolences from the crowd. I was limping in splendid isolation, wondering if my left wrist was broken or just badly sprained, and struggling to pick my bike up with one good hand - nobody even offered a hand. Un****believable. She didn't apologise, or in fact offer any words to me at all - she was busy chatting by then to a good looking paramedic who took HER off in his emergency response car, and left me to wait for the ambulance. There wasn't a scratch on her - she hit me and the damage to the front of her car was fairly minor. My bike was totalled - bent frame and smashed clutch assemply were the clinchers.

Still, she wasn't smiling when she got home and found she had no insurance. Took me nearly a year but I got every penny out of the cow.