FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

West Nile Virus in New York?

deanhills
Looks as though New York is battling mosquitoes carrying the West Nile Virus. I was unaware that this virus was prevalent in the United States. Always thought it was something that was located in Africa, but interesting to learn that New York and other areas of the United States have had sporadic outbreaks since 1999. I'm relieved I'm not in New York right now. A not so good virus.

Quote:
Three more cases of West Nile were confirmed in the New York area.

Two Staten Island women and a Bronx man have been hospitalized with the virus. The Bronx man was the first case in the City.

This comes on the heels of a public health threat declared in Nassau County after record numbers of mosquito sites tested positive for the virus.

Both Nassau and Suffolk Counties began spraying.

“We’re spraying not to prevent mosquitoes, this is not for nuisance mosquitoes, but because West Nile can be a debilitating and deadly disease,” said Dr. Lawrence Eisenstein, Nassau County Deputy Health Commissioner.

Last month a woman from New Hyde Park came down with New York State’s first human case of West Nile of the year.

Source: CBS New York
c'tair
Damn, I'm in NYC right now and this put me on alert. I haven't seen a single mosquito here yet, but the city is big enough to mean that there might be mosquitoes in other parts. Just gotta be careful.

Last I heard, there's also a battle with bed bugs, with people preferring to pay much more to get factory sealed mattresses and other products that might carry bed bugs and many people avoiding thrift stores.
Bikerman
If it is any consolation, the stats on the disease are that for every 141 people infected, 110 will have no symptoms ever, 30 will develop 'Nile Fever' which will lay you low for 7-10 days, and 1 will develop the serious complication which is bad news - a type of meningitis I believe
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
If it is any consolation, the stats on the disease are that for every 141 people infected, 110 will have no symptoms ever, 30 will develop 'Nile Fever' which will lay you low for 7-10 days, and 1 will develop the serious complication which is bad news - a type of meningitis I believe
I can imagine those 30 however will be sweating blood however, wondering whether they will develop meningitis or not. Wonder whether the West Nile Virus would be the same as malaria. Once a person has malaria, he/she has to receive radical treatment to get completely rid of malaria in the system, otherwise the virus will reoccur again and again.
harismushtaq
Are mosquitoes common in New York ? They are annoying so even before the virus, if having mosquitoes is common, then it would be common to use means to repel them. If this is not the case and the mosquitoes are alien to life there, then this is tricky situation as people are not used to guard themselves against them and it is easy to get caught.
deanhills
harismushtaq wrote:
Are mosquitoes common in New York ? They are annoying so even before the virus, if having mosquitoes is common, then it would be common to use means to repel them. If this is not the case and the mosquitoes are alien to life there, then this is tricky situation as people are not used to guard themselves against them and it is easy to get caught.
We would probably need to ask someone from New York. I think a lot of the problems come from the farms, like dairy farms surrounding New York. Mosquitoes seem to be breeding where livestock are.
http://nysipm.cornell.edu/grantspgm/projects/proj02/lfc/rutz.asp
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Mosquitoes seem to be breeding where livestock are.

Mosquitoes breed anywhere that there is stagnant water...
That can be in a stock tank at a farm, but it can also be in a puddle inside a junk tire or discarded cup in a back alley.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Mosquitoes seem to be breeding where livestock are.

Mosquitoes breed anywhere that there is stagnant water...
That can be in a stock tank at a farm, but it can also be in a puddle inside a junk tire or discarded cup in a back alley.
Good point. When I was doing research there was mention of the junk tires as well. Stagnant water puddles are of course a common sense breeding source, but probably easier to contain, being common sense to look out for.