FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help to troubleshoot HP Pavilion Slimline s3020n

ahnguye5
I bought this computer today from someone for $80. It was kind of an impulse buy but I figured the parts inside were worth that much.

Basically when I turn the computer on, I think I hear the hard drive, the power light is on, and the fan is working. The screen remains blank though. Any suggestions as to what what the problem may be?

Any help is appreciated.

The specs are here:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-79732629-80159138.html
Marcuzzo
could be about anything: Mobo, video card, the screen itself.
did you test it before you bought it?
ahnguye5
Marcuzzo wrote:
could be about anything: Mobo, video card, the screen itself.
did you test it before you bought it?

I did and I still bought it because I thought it would be something simple to fix -- with a little bit of help from yall of course. I was concerned when we tested it out and I didn't even see the BIOS screen but the guy said that it "started up" sometimes -- I'm assuming he meant that something actually comes up on the monitor -- so I took his word for it.

I've turned it off and on several times and still nothing on the screen so you're right it could be anything.

Rule the monitor out though because it works with my other machines.

It's integrated graphics so I tried using a video card from another machine but still nothing.
misterXY
Here's a tip
Anything by HP with the Pavaillion model, dont buy, 2 1/2 months in 3 months was in the shop too fix a popped key...... out of the one yr warranty, 8 months with them, ****** hp!
So in troubleshooting, meh basically screwed the pooch on that deal IMHO
ahnguye5
misterXY wrote:
Here's a tip
Anything by HP with the Pavaillion model, dont buy, 2 1/2 months in 3 months was in the shop too fix a popped key...... out of the one yr warranty, 8 months with them, ****** hp!
So in troubleshooting, meh basically screwed the pooch on that deal IMHO

Haha probably so.

Well, since the fan works, can I assume that the motherboard is still working and just purchase another AM2 socket CPU? What are my options if i'm willing to spend about another hundred dollars?

I've removed the mobo from the case btw, I wanted to try to turn it on outside the case. Does anyone know how to start up the computer, the power supply doesn't have a switch.