FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for a dislike button in Facebook? Well it's not here

milleja46
According to a piece of news from a local news station where i live, there is a dislike button, but it's not the one we are all hopeing for. This one is a scam to get all your personal data. What it does is, when you click on the ads, or the actual button if you see one, it installs a virus, that installs itself and takes all your personal data.

Here's the story:
http://www.wcnc.com/news/consumer/New-scam-warning-for-Facebook-users-100774569.html

Now what you you think?
AftershockVibe
The most prominent one actually does eventually actually lead to the dislike button. However, this is a free Firefox addon. You can download it for free, as the author intended.

Unfortunately the scammers decided that in the process of leading you to this addon, they would make you install a facebook "application". This of course can read all the data, and your friends data, you've allowed it to (which is most cases, is pretty much everything!).

Facebook's applications are notoriously privacy invasive. Ensure your settings don't allow them access to anything (especially those that your "friends" install!).
erlendhg
Virus or not (of course it is worse with virus, though), I think the whole concept of a plugin driven dislike button is a silly or flawed design. Even though I think it would be useful (if one can define Facebook as useful what so ever), I would still wait for Facebook to implement it before using it.

When not using the Firefox plugin, everyone else would just see a comment with "dislike" in it, and I think that is quite stupid.

However, Facebook shall have credits for implementing like-buttons on comments Smile
Ghost900
So many people want a dislike button they would do anything for it.

I wished there was a dislike button but I am not going to download an add-on so I can have it even if the original addon is fine and safe from viruses.

Some people can get tricked into giving anything away, this is no different then the emails or other stuff we get to trick us into downloading something of the virus nature.
CreativeWriters
That's actually a pretty interesting snippet. I have to give the original creator of the scam credit, though, because--you have to admit--using the all-so-desired Dislike Button to spread their malware was actually a great idea. I'm not saying it was a good idea, but it was definitely clever.

Quote:
However, Facebook shall have credits for implementing like-buttons on comments

I agree with you there. I love how Facebook has the Like buttons that can be added to any website that go against the rules of Facebook.
missdixy
yeah i've seeen that scam before, kinda almost fell for it the first time but then i was like wait- wait-----nooo! scam! haha. i think FB should offer the people the option of showing a dislike button when they post their status.
ProfessorY91
erlendhg wrote:
Virus or not (of course it is worse with virus, though), I think the whole concept of a plugin driven dislike button is a silly or flawed design. Even though I think it would be useful (if one can define Facebook as useful what so ever), I would still wait for Facebook to implement it before using it.

When not using the Firefox plugin, everyone else would just see a comment with "dislike" in it, and I think that is quite stupid.

However, Facebook shall have credits for implementing like-buttons on comments Smile

A very good assessment of a flawed implementation of an idea. Its not quite worth it to install a random firefox plugin (scam or not), to see dislikes on comments. Facebook should get credit for inventing the whole idea of liking something. If they don't implement a dislike button; its not going to be a huge deal - facebook isn't some massive polling site or forum. Its networking, and the addition of a dislike button may just clutter the site.
milleja46
See i knew it could be only a scam once i heard there was even thoughts of one, if you don't like it you must not like it, so no point in a dislike button. it's very easy to tell that was a scam