FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

All in 1. Modem-Router-Computer

Possum
Hi

I'm researching the idea of an open source hardware / software project for an All in 1. Modem-Router-Computer

Ive looked for such a project but cant find one. The idea is to have a low watt (20watt) device on all the time, uploading and downloading files.
menino
I remember looking at some projects online where you can install windows on a very small device, which are portable and has a small power supply, but I cant remember it now.
It was based on Compact flash technology, where you install the OS on the flash, and it boots up, and had to do with the core component of build-it-yourself-wireless routers.

But here is a small PC, where you can install Linux, and Linux has options to work as a router.
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

Perhaps you could order for the motherboard and then add on to your project.
menino
Oh, I just found the site for the router boards - it is http://mikrotik.com

There are various router boards but mainly for routing, but a lot of them have the ability to put your own OS, like windows 98 or smaller - mainly to run some of the features.

Your project is a nice one, but if you can use a PC as a router, I cannot comprehend how well your project will raise for enthusiasts.

Also to let you know, that some firewalls use small enclosures, but run linux to operate those portable encased firewalls, like smoothwall and astaro even.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Possum
Thx for your links. I have book marked them.

I often leave my 450 watts computer on all day and night for Torrents (legal) as well as other files such as podcast.

It does effect the power bill..

Even if I do turn my computers off I never turn the router off. I believe this is the cast with most people. If I programmed the Router / computer to do smart data usage the telcos may give it cheaper off peek data rates. Who knows.
ocalhoun
Possum wrote:
Thx for your links. I have book marked them.

I often leave my 450 watts computer on all day and night for Torrents (legal) as well as other files such as podcast.

It does effect the power bill..

Use a laptop (even a very old one) instead. They typically use much less power.
High would be around 100W, Mine uses 70W, and you could probably find one as low as 40-50W. That's maximum, of course... It would be less if you configure it to use less power by turning the screen off, or using other power-saving features. (My laptop has a 70W power supply, which is capable of running the computer at max power consumption and charging the battery at the same time. When the battery is not charging and power saving measures are being used, power consumption is surely much less than 70W.)

Also, it wouldn't be outrageously expensive to get enough solar panels to power a laptop or small computer -- especially if you wire the computer directly to a battery (DC), so you wouldn't have to convert the power to AC then back to DC. Doing that means it will have less expensive equipment to purchase, and it will be more efficient.
Flakky
You can find mini UTX cases and motherboards. You need to assemble a lot yourself. Find a motherboard with build-in graphics card. Then you can have a cheap thingy. You can even unplug your monitor when not using it Wink
JonathanCharles
Hey, u people need to do some research on Cloud Computing..
Hope u all ill get ur answers....
tunnel4
thanks for the link
pll
I never thought about it, but this would be really great!! I'll try to make this fit in a big box computer.
geekbackpacker
menino wrote:

There are various router boards but mainly for routing, but a lot of them have the ability to put your own OS, like windows 98 or smaller - mainly to run some of the features.

Your project is a nice one, but if you can use a PC as a router, I cannot comprehend how well your project will raise for enthusiasts.

Also to let you know, that some firewalls use small enclosures, but run linux to operate those portable encased firewalls, like smoothwall and astaro even.

r u network engineer?
subru
Possum wrote:
Hi

I'm researching the idea of an open source hardware / software project for an All in 1. Modem-Router-Computer

Ive looked for such a project but cant find one. The idea is to have a low watt (20watt) device on all the time, uploading and downloading files.

That is really a great idea . But i think you have better chances of getting ideas for this topic if post the question in a good science blog
LxGoodies
Consider Raspberry Pi

It is cheap and it can do a lot, like

http://lifehacker.com/roll-your-own-anonymizing-tor-proxy-with-a-raspberry-pi-513525281
rafael2112
you could do this with mobile wireless
BigGeek
geekbackpacker wrote:
menino wrote:

r u network engineer?

We use Mikrotik routers in our products for the company I work for - I have a fair amount of experience with these devices - They run Linux OS called Router OS and they are pretty efficient - I would not suggest loading windows or any Microsoft OS on these devices due to the limited processor and storage space available on them. They are fairly low power consumption which varies depending on the model routerboard you are using for most of our boards they sonsume like 7W of power so pretty low if you ask me!

We have run into difficulty with Mikrotik in that they forced an upgrade on Router OS version that is not compatible with our software or network installations.

They are a good product and perform on par with Cisco for small networks and for wireless installations - however again I say - windows on them would not be a great idea!!!
lightwate
Possum wrote:
Hi

I agree with LxGoodies. You can try using a raspberry Pi. It's a credit card-sized computer that can be powered off USB (so that's around 10W max). You can add a micro SD card to it and install linux to it. It also has an ethernet port so you can connect it directly to your modem/router, or you can buy one of those wifi dongles and plug it into the rpi's USB port. It is also really cheap. I bought one for an equivalent of less than 40$

This might not be the all in 1 modem-router-computer you're looking for but since it runs linux, you can install torrent downloaders and control them via your main computer
Very Happy