FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

6th Sense

chatrack
Hi,

Have you ever feel that you got 6th sense ?
standready
Every once in a while. Just a gut feeling that something is going to happen.
Bikerman
Most people get it. Deja-vu is a common manifestation of it, feeling like you have seen or heard something before when you know you can't have done so.
There are quite a few models for how it could happen. THIS is probably the best.
andysart380
not quite but i swear i get dejavu all the time...i see things that are really going to happen in my dreams and right before it happens i remember what happens next..like a small glimpse of the future..very strange and unexplained.
Bikerman
Well, deja vu is just one related experience. Feeling you can predict what will happen next is another and this is explained by similar mechanisms...
deanhills
chatrack wrote:
Hi,

Have you ever feel that you got 6th sense ?
Yes, I have. Sometimes I can't quite explain it, but it could be a really nagging feeling. Other times I'm actually thinking of another person, while that person is thinking of me too. Probably a sixth sense out of being connected with people. This is different from predicting however. But there may be common sense indicators of how people may react if you are in sync or in tune with them, whether in a positive or a negative sense.
missdixy
I used to feel this way a lot. I used to sort of picture or see something happening and then it would happen and I'd get this weird feeling. I don't know. I also used to get deja vu a lot. Not so much anymore, though.
Nameless
Sometimes I have strong gut feelings that something is going to happen, without any tangible evidence. Despite my attempts to dismiss these thoughts, they tend to persist and even if they're not exactly accurate, can become almost self-fulfilling eerily often.

It's called social anxiety and it's not magic. D:
Insanity
Yeah, I think the closest thing I've felt is deja vu, but that's not really a 6th sense I don't think. Nothing ESP or things of that nature. Sad, though, I wouldn't mind having extra powers.
airh3ad
To get a real sense of what this means, here’s an overview of what you can do with Sixth Sense?and what about the Sixth Sense technology today?
Bikerman
airh3ad wrote:
To get a real sense of what this means, here’s an overview of what you can do with Sixth Sense?and what about the Sixth Sense technology today?

I think you missed something....
Vrythramax
Just read my sig Very Happy
erlendhg
Bikerman wrote:
Most people get it. Deja-vu is a common manifestation of it, feeling like you have seen or heard something before when you know you can't have done so.
There are quite a few models for how it could happen. THIS is probably the best.

That was quite an interesting article, I must say. Thanks for sharing Smile
When it comes to myself, I often hear people talking about experiencing deja vu's, but I have never had that feeling myself. It makes me whish I had.
Ghost900
I have had a felling of something happening before it actually does, not so much a vision or picture but a feeling that something is going to happen. As for deja vu I do not think I have ever had that happen to me.
ninjakannon
I think that this feeling most likely comes from our constant prediction of what's going to happen next and is not unusual nor strange. You're constantly predicting what's going to happen next whether it's a tennis ball bouncing off a court, the taste of a slice of a glistening, oozing chocolate cake, or the end of someone's... Sentence. These things don't seem strange to you because they are occurring constantly; it's when rarer predictions or coincidences happen that you think you have some extraordinary power. It's nothing special, however.

I find it odd that we traditionally talk of having five senses, we certainly have more and I might even count this as one of them. Granted, it's not from external input like our other senses - yet we could talk of it as "a sense of what's to come". I think of the following ten senses rather than the typical five: hearing, smell, sight, taste, touch, pain, temperature (thermoception), balance and acceleration (vestibular sense), proprioception, and anticipation. Can you think of any more that fit this list? There are certainly more internal senses and one might also choose to consider magnetoception in humans, but I've come up with a list that seems to me to fit the idea of the five senses we were all taught in school.
LittleBlackKitten
My 6th sense is a little more off the wall. Sometimes I see things that never makes any sense until it corellates to another issue, like I will see a flash of a car sliding across an intersection, then a mass of red, and then I'll ponder over it for days, wondering what on earth it meant, and then someone I know will be in a car accident an hour, day, or even a week or month later. Its sort of like being a "medium" only I cannot converse with the spirits, they can simply show me visions. Sometimes it's just a bored spirit having fun with me, but sometimes it's a real message. I also have the ability to see people's auras, what color(s) their soul is, and can sense if they are heavily burdened, ill, dying, or care-free. Some people think I'm a nut case, but God gave me these gifts, and for a reason...
Bikerman
Well, those claims are easily testable. They are also fairly common - many people claim to be able to see aurae. I have to say, though, that those that have been tested always come up negative....
Quote:
The best aura reader in the West was tested before a live television audience and failed miserably. The Berkeley Psychic Institute (BPI) sent their top aura reader for a chance to win $10,000 if she could prove her powers. She agreed that the devised test was a fair and accurate. The test was televised on a program hosted by Bill Bixby. James Randi put up the $10,000. The psychic was presented with about twenty people on stage and was asked if she could see their auras. She said that she could see the auras, they all had one and they emanated at least a foot or two above each person's head. The twenty aura-wearing people then went offstage. A curtain was lifted, revealing a number of partitions behind which only some of the twenty people were standing. Thus, Bixby and the psychic were looking at twenty partitions but only several of them had a person behind it. The psychic was asked if she could see any auras creeping up above the partitions. She said she could. To get her ten grand all she had to do was correctly identify each partition that had a person behind it. She was to do this by seeing each person's aura above the partition. The audience was given an aerial camera view of the proceeding. Well, the psychic claimed that she saw an aura above all the partitions and that there was a person behind each partition. The partitions were removed, revealing about 6 people behind the partitions. The psychic didn't even seem surprised. She might console herself that 6 out of 20 is not bad in a hostile arena.

It is also worth noting that colours correspond to distinct energy levels of photons. These can be very accurately detected - for example a PET scanner is about 1 million times more sensitive than the human eye. Unfortunately for believers, no PET scan has shown aurae.
The way they are normally 'evidenced' is by using a method known as Kirlian Photography, which claims to capture aurae on film. Again tests show that in fact what is recorded is due to quite natural phenomena such as pressure, electrical grounding, humidity and temperature.
LittleBlackKitten
I'm not referring to a literal "color", people don't shine and shimmer like that; it's more...well, INSIDE. It's hard to explain what I see, but I never manage to do that correctly. I also have been confirmed by a few people.
Bikerman
Well, most people who claim to see aurae report a 'shell' of colour surrounding the person.
Beware confirmation by people - it means very little. The only true test is the type above.
In your case, if what you sense is not visible to you outside the person then it would be a bit more tricky but quite possible to test. We would simply put 10 strangers in front of you. You would have no contact with them, nor they with you. You would then record what your perception tells you about them and this would be compared to a survey that the subjects had filled-in before the test.
Obviously generalised observations, of the type used by astrologers and horoscope writers, would score nothing. So if you said - this person has had some difficulties in their life but has recently experienced some good news - nothing for that since it probably applies to most people and is simply an example of what we call cold reading. If you said - this person is currently seriously ill, and they were then score 1. If they weren't then score -1. You would be asked to say at least 3 specific things about each person, though we would probably accept less. At the end of the test your score would be counted up. Obviously a score of 30 would be perfect. A score of 10 or more would be significant, indicating a strong possibility of something going on. A score of zero would be no better than throwing a dice. -10>+10 would be interesting but not conclusive. Less than -10 would also be interesting (even negative results are interesting to a scientist).
My prediction is you would score somewhere between -5 and +5 which is what I would expect most people to score.
ninjakannon
Reading this I've just had an idea. You have probably heard about savants who claim they see sounds or music, or people who see numbers as colours etc. I would make the suggestion that perhaps some people really aren't lying, deluded or anything like this when they say they see these 'aurorae'. Is it not possible that they 'see' personalities (or something else) as a specific 'colour' around the person?

Just a thought - what do you think?
Bikerman
No..these are not 'savants' they are 'synesthetes' and the syndrome is very real, well documented and called synesthesia - mixing of the senses. I know a chap who is such a person - he sees sounds.

I don't say that anyone is lying - that would be uncalled for. I simply say that in tests the ability cannot be demonstrated. It is perfectly possible for a person to believe in good faith that they have such abilities and I would not wish to cast any aspersion on their honesty, even if I think they are wrong.
ninjakannon
Oh yes, of course they are 'synesthetes'! Silly me. I know someone who sees some (but not all, interestingly) numbers as colours.

I said "lying, deluded or anything like this"; admittedly, not the most eloquent way of putting: perhaps some people really do see something when they claim to see aurorae. Your attitude to it is, admirably, exactly as it should be on this issue.

What do you think of my suggestion that seeing colours for personalities (or whatever) is a form of synaesthesia?
Bikerman
ninjakannon wrote:
Oh yes, of course they are 'synesthetes'! Silly me. I know someone who sees some (but not all, interestingly) numbers as colours.

I said "lying, deluded or anything like this"; admittedly, not the most eloquent way of putting: perhaps some people really do see something when they claim to see aurorae. Your attitude to it is, admirably, exactly as it should be on this issue.

What do you think of my suggestion that seeing colours for personalities (or whatever) is a form of synaesthesia?

Possible but unlikely. Analysing personality requires significant processing whereas synesthesia normally involves mixing the senses at a very early stage, before significant processing occurs, as far as I am aware - though research is still at a relatively early stage and developments in neuro-science will no doubt bring significant new findings in the near future.
ninjakannon
There's the initial reaction you have to a person; within whatever fraction of a second it is you instantly have an impression of them. Does this really take significantly more processing than recognising a number, for example?

It will (or would) be really interesting to learn of the true nature of these things. Cannot wait for future research!
Bikerman
In that fraction of a second the visual information has entered the brain, passed through the limbic system and is being processed by the cortex, along with other sensory data. I would expect any synesthesia to kick in before that stage, almost as soon as the data enters the limbic system...

But, research is the only way to know.
Having said that -I think the evidence that we do have about the phenomenon and people's reporting of their perception of aurae is sufficient to give a first approximation answer that there is no physical effect to perceive and so any actual perception has GOT to be in the brain and not from the subject.
coolclay
Some animals have legitimate sixth senses. Take sharks for example they have all the normal ones like us, but in addition also have ampullae of lorenzini which are used to sense electrical signals and other closely related phenomena such as magnetism. Other animals have the ability to sense direction, whether its magnetic some other way no one is sure.

Regardless, many senses, even today are so little understood scientifically that it wouldn't surprise me if humans have other innate but hard to quantify senses.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Regardless, many senses, even today are so little understood scientifically that it wouldn't surprise me if humans have other innate but hard to quantify senses.
Good point. They say that kids usually have very highly attuned receptors until they get to 6 or 7 years old and then disregard them, usually because parents/teachers ascribe them to "imagination", or "not real" and maybe even dangerous. We're so completely "brain washed" by society in many ways, quite difficult to figure out who "we are" from who society thinks we "should be". And following a certain script and role that excludes "instincts" and extra senses. As they are not regarded as "real" by the script. So can't be real, just imaginary.
Bikerman
Who says? Where do they say it?

I really cannot be doing with sentences that start
'they say.....'
'everyone knows.....'
'it is well known that......'
'I've heard it said......'
'sources tell me......'
'people in the know say.....'
'informed opinion has it.....'
and so on. If someone says something and you think it worthy of saying so then say who.
_AVG_
I think a "sixth sense" is merely what we call intuition. And as some would call it, a "gut feeling" or something.

There are many times when we cannot explain some of the things we do with rational thought ... this is where emotions and "guesses" come into play i.e. our "sixth sense". For example, there are a number of scientists and mathematicians that have developed theories from intuition etc. It is a popular story how Kekule thought of the aromatic structure of benzene after being inspired by a dream he had (in which he saw a snake eating its own tail). I think such intuition is related to the creative side of the brain which could well be subconsciously thinking about "out of the box" solutions. Sometimes mathematicians prove things using very creative methods but if you ask them how they thought of it, very few will be able to give answers that aren't vague. This is the role of intuition in our lives.

Even musicians will agree that there is some sort of intuition involved with creativity. Ask a composer how he creates music - yes, there have been attempts to quantify music theoretically but they can only go so far.

I agree that it is definitely some sort of "animal instinct" which we have imbibed over evolution or something. Have you ever observed how animals are capable of predicting natural disasters?

Finally, on the topic of psychics and mystics claiming to "see into the future", it is true that only 20% of their actual predictions are true ... or maybe even a smaller proportion. And I'm talking about the cumulative list of all predictors. Have you ever considered that out of the hundreds who may have tried to "forsee what the future beholds" very few are actually glorified (Nostradamus being one of them)? And if you believe that every prediction Nostradamus made was correct, check the entire list of all his predictions - it is a fact that only his correct predictions have been popularized, not his incorrect ones. From all this evidence, one can surmise that these psychics rely largely on chance.
Bikerman
Well, I'm not sure if Nostradamus can even be credited with a small number of 'hits'
Even if you take his best examples:
The blood of the just will be demanded of London,
Burnt by the fire in the year 66

This is the great fire on london 1666.
Looks good at first glance, but then - the blood of the just? Why the just? That is a miss. Burnt by fire in the year 66 is good isn't it? But hold on...look at the actual year - 1666...666...the number of the beast.
Why would Nostradamus miss such a powerful number and just go with 66? Odd that. Then consider that there were fires in London very frequently. There was no major fire in 1566 but there were plenty of small ones, so why could these not be the ones he meant? He doesn't say it will be a huge catastrophe, just the blood of the just burnt by fire. Sounds more like he is saying that some good people will burn to death in London...that's the way I'd read it.

So not so impressive after all - and I chose one of the most impressive I could.
There is plenty going on but one important element is shaping expectations. I've got a cracking demo of this...let me dig it out....
http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/8112694/21501791

there we go...some great examples of shaping expectations...check the end part with Zep's Stairway to heaven played backwards...
LittleBlackKitten
I'm not by any means a "psychic" as you think I am in that so-called test. I can receive images or visions from skilled spirits who find me. Sometimes they play games and the vision means nothing and other times it's a message I must pass on. Sometimes it's as simple as "I see you suffering very soon" and six hours later someone will break a toe (has actually happened) or "I see a grave accident, you must not enter ANY blue cars today!" and have the person take off on a trip in a blue sedan and nothing ever happens. I remember on September 10th I could not sleep and kept seeing masses of smoke, and people screaming.

As for the aura bit, I don't see a corona as it were around people, I already said that. It's their soul, and I can't literally SEE it, I just see it in my mind when I focus on their soul or spirit, and it's like a flash in my mind. Usually people flex and change with moods and personalities; like, usually, my husband appears a baby blue and golden, but when he's angry or frustrated, he goes purple, then red, depending on his level of frustration or anger. People in the hospital as patients are gray-scale, some are completely black before they become gravely ill, or are soon to die. I have called the deaths of many people.

One story of this was when I was Emergency Room Security, and someone was recovering, doing well actually, but I saw a horrid black aura in his soul, and I told the nurse they would loose him before sun down...he was 36 and was dressing to leave, and suffered a heart attack. The man was an athlete, and had come in for a broken ankle.

I don't need anyone to believe me or to justify or verify my abilities for their own doubting minds; those who will believe will believe; those who will doubt will doubt; and those who will change their minds will change....It does not effect what I am or what I can do.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:

'they say.....'
'everyone knows.....'
'sources tell me......'
and so on. If someone says something and you think it worthy of saying so then say who.
I thought this was supposed to be the General Chat Section of a discussion forum and that hopefully we are allowed to chat in general here and relax at the same time. I'm sure it must happen to quite a number of people that they have read something, researched something quite a few weeks, months or years back or had a chat with friends, and when they then "chat" about it, they do it with the words listed above as they may not exactly recall the where, when, how, specifics. I don't see anything wrong with that in a General Chat Forum, unless someone specifically asks for greater specifics. Then obviously one would do research and provide the specifics.
Bikerman
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I'm not by any means a "psychic" as you think I am in that so-called test. I can receive images or visions from skilled spirits who find me. Sometimes they play games and the vision means nothing and other times it's a message I must pass on. Sometimes it's as simple as "I see you suffering very soon" and six hours later someone will break a toe (has actually happened) or "I see a grave accident, you must not enter ANY blue cars today!" and have the person take off on a trip in a blue sedan and nothing ever happens. I remember on September 10th I could not sleep and kept seeing masses of smoke, and people screaming.
I didn't say you were anything, but what do you call that last example? Precognition? If you get messages that you must pass on then that is not something 'natural' as in part of the natural laws of science. Therefore it is paranormal or coincidence or delusion. I can't think of another possibility, can you?
Quote:
As for the aura bit, I don't see a corona as it were around people, I already said that. It's their soul, and I can't literally SEE it, I just see it in my mind when I focus on their soul or spirit, and it's like a flash in my mind. Usually people flex and change with moods and personalities; like, usually, my husband appears a baby blue and golden, but when he's angry or frustrated, he goes purple, then red, depending on his level of frustration or anger. People in the hospital as patients are gray-scale, some are completely black before they become gravely ill, or are soon to die. I have called the deaths of many people.
But how can you identify a colour if you can't see or perceive it? I don't understand that. It cannot be their soul according to any religion I know. Your soul doesn't go black when you are near death - that would be a sign of terrible sin for most religions. Again if you have 'called' the death of many people it is either something paranormal or something more mundane. For example, I could 'call' people in intensive care and get a pretty good hit rate. The thing is that we are very good at forgetting all the false positives. We remember the 'predictions' we get right and forget the ones that were wrong. It is usually the case that when we actually measure, we find many wrong for each right - ie perfectly normal statistics.
Quote:
One story of this was when I was Emergency Room Security, and someone was recovering, doing well actually, but I saw a horrid black aura in his soul, and I told the nurse they would loose him before sun down...he was 36 and was dressing to leave, and suffered a heart attack. The man was an athlete, and had come in for a broken ankle.

I don't need anyone to believe me or to justify or verify my abilities for their own doubting minds; those who will believe will believe; those who will doubt will doubt; and those who will change their minds will change....It does not effect what I am or what I can do.
No but it does change whether what you claim you can do has any basis in fact. You are making the claims, not me - I merely say that such claims can be tested and should not be taken at face value until they are...
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

'they say.....'
'everyone knows.....'
'sources tell me......'
I thought this was supposed to be the General Chat Section of a discussion forum and that hopefully we are allowed to chat in general here and relax at the same time. I'm sure it must happen to quite a number of people that they have read something, researched something quite a few weeks, months or years back or had a chat with friends, and when they then "chat" about it, they do it with the words listed above as they may not exactly recall the where, when, how, specifics. I don't see anything wrong with that in a General Chat Forum, unless someone specifically asks for greater specifics. Then obviously one would do research and provide the specifics.

Say what you want, but why start with 'they say...' when without more details it is completetely redundant? Why not just make the point without it? All it does is give the impression that there might be some wider support for the notion without actually providing it. That is misleading and why would anyone wish to mislead? It is what we commonly call the fallacy of appeal to authority. ie you are giving the impression that people who should know about these things say that children have.....etc, but unless you actually say who these people are, then it is bogus...
iman
I don't think so, I'm very bad at predicting things.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
Say what you want, but why start with 'they say...' when without more details it is completetely redundant? Why not just make the point without it? All it does is give the impression that there might be some wider support for the notion without actually providing it. That is misleading and why would anyone wish to mislead? It is what we commonly call the fallacy of appeal to authority. ie you are giving the impression that people who should know about these things say that children have.....etc, but unless you actually say who these people are, then it is bogus...
Bikerman, with respect, I really don't need any lectures from you in how to write postings. If you have a question about my posting, maybe you can respond like everyone else does, and make a simple enquiry about what puzzles you. Instead of a giving a condescending lecture to the extent of creating a mountain out of a mole hill in the General Chat Forum no less.
Bikerman
Dean,
we can all learn, and with equal respect, yes, you could do with a few lessons from me or someone competent in written prose. It isn't my field of expertise so I claim no special qualification to teach (but teachers are often called upon to teach outside their speciality). If you are either too proud or too stupid to think that you have anything to learn then fine...go ahead, but I will also go ahead and criticise fallacies where I see them.
timothymartin
I believe that we have the ability to use more that just 5 senses. Common sense is one that goes beyond the basic 5, and so does the spirit sense.
Bikerman
Well, common sense is probably neither, and anyway it isn't really a sense, more of a description of problem solving ability (at the good end) or lowest common denominator moronity (at the other).

Spirit sense implies something is being sensed, whereas I'd probably say something was being created..
ninjakannon
Is it just me or is it common sense that common sense isn't actually a sense? Razz

@Bikerman and deanhills, oh my gosh, it really isn't that important! Please just give it up now (and in doing so, don't reply to this!).
ninjakannon
Bikerman wrote:
In that fraction of a second the visual information has entered the brain, passed through the limbic system and is being processed by the cortex, along with other sensory data. I would expect any synesthesia to kick in before that stage, almost as soon as the data enters the limbic system...

But, research is the only way to know.
Having said that -I think the evidence that we do have about the phenomenon and people's reporting of their perception of aurae is sufficient to give a first approximation answer that there is no physical effect to perceive and so any actual perception has GOT to be in the brain and not from the subject.

@Bikerman:
Continuing our earlier conversation about my suggestion that aurorae could possibly be synaesthesia between personalities and colours, I was just reminded of ordinal linguistic personification - something I had not known the name for until now. In OLP, "ordered sequences such as ordinal numbers, days, months and letters are associated with personalities". This seems very close to my suggestion that personalities could be associated with colours, just the other way around. What do you think? There's some relatively interesting information here, too.

Edit:
A test was done on people who claimed they could see auras (I believe by the neurologist Dr Ramachandran) in which subjects were asked to look at photos of people. They were asked the colour of the aura and were then later shown the same picture again but with a dot of the colour of the aura placed just where the aura would be. The same test was also done with people who claimed not to see auras as a control. Significantly fewer people who claimed to see auras could see the dot on the second picture.
toasterintheoven
people are retarded, it's unfortunately the case that some of them may actually be psychic as well
speeDemon
Bikerman wrote:
Deja-vu is a common manifestation of it, feeling like you have seen or heard something before when you know you can't have done so.
Hmm.. that happens with me like all the time.. I feel paranoid right now Shocked
Greatking
6th sense i think is God given, i think its a gift to have that ability to sense and to know that something has happened is about to happen. when you realize you have that you just have to explore it and embrace it.
chatrack
Hi,
Is there any way to awaken the 6th sense in your. Or to straighten the sense - any sort of mediation can awake that sense? I think some spiritual people will be having intense 6th sense.