FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Moving countries. Do you think you might do that one day?

chasbeen
I'm back in England for 2 weeks and spending time with relatives and out visiting people.

Things I used to hate are now great.

Examples:
Stuck in traffic on the M25
Going shopping with the ladies.

Not frustrating because there are so many memories and things to experience which seemed really boring when I lived in the UK.

Might come back now after being abroad for so long.

deanhills
I've had those feelings too. But being back for longer than a month probably all the old irritations will surface again? Always much nicer to be a visitor. When one watches the TV News, the responsiblity of the environment, the economy, the politics etc. are all easier to digest as well, as an outsider rather than an insider.
chasbeen
No those were just 2 examples.

I got 100's more. I tell you the uk is best, but I accept also that the notion "you always like to go back to where you were from" is playing a part.

However, I feel it's not the total reason.
ribozon
I would like to move to another country if i have a chance. probably china or japan
chasbeen
If you have a chance?

It's good if you get involved with a trade that is used world wide.

Then you have something like an international currency.

Make the moves to increase your chances, the above is just one example..
nigam
i would love to move to another country soon....we must be ready for it and plan for the best
chasbeen
I'm recommending younger people do it.
When you get older it's harder to leave where your from.
I personally want to move back now and have early plans in place.
HoytJolly
I like the idea of moving to another country. I have visited France and the Czech Republic.
chasbeen
My shortest visit to any country was Africa
I was there for 50 minutes (Refueling stop at East Africa-Allowed to walk the landing strip)
However it's not a place I would live (Needed Malayria shots just for 50mins!)
selim06
chasbeen wrote:

Examples:
Stuck in traffic on the M25
Going shopping with the ladies.

I moved to UK about one and half year ago. It really was a great experience at the beginning. I felt just like you, everything English hate I was in love. However now I feel different, especially in last 6 months I am worried about country's politics, economy, crime rate etc.. So when you actually started living in a country, the relief of being a tourist is gone. Traffic drives me crazy most of time. I am fed up with accompanying ladies in shopping since Oxford Street never ends! Secondly the chaos is not that great after living some. After school or work, sometimes you just want to relax but West End is full of tourists and people in rush. I personally sometimes like to go to elegant places but then you find out either Russians and more likely Arabs who don't respect you and behave like school kids.Nevertheless I love England and living in here.
So If you plan to move, consider it well.
chasbeen
Quote:
I moved to UK about one and half year ago. It really was a great experience at the beginning. I felt just like you, everything English hate I was in love. However now I feel different, especially in last 6 months I am worried about country's politics, economy, crime rate etc.. So when you actually started living in a country, the relief of being a tourist is gone. Traffic drives me crazy most of time. I am fed up with accompanying ladies in shopping since Oxford Street never ends! Secondly the chaos is not that great after living some. After school or work, sometimes you just want to relax but West End is full of tourists and people in rush. I personally sometimes like to go to elegant places but then you find out either Russians and more likely Arabs who don't respect you and behave like school kids.Nevertheless I love England and living in here.

Feel confident that this post is useful. I moved from England 9 years ago and I want to move back now.
You moved to England 18months ago and you still like it (A good sign for you and me)
It has been a good experience (Living in Canada) but now I think me, my family and a small chunk of my son's family have had enough. I don't need a swimming pool or 3 acres of garden.
This is not a pipe dream we are serious.
Yesterday my son starts his final degree year. He's grabbing some work experience now (while on the course) and that will be that. Coming back within 1-2 years max (7 of us).
rayson1101
I am looking forward to move in UK. I want to live there together with my family. I hope soon will be very ok.
chasbeen
Oh thats interesting.
What area are you planning to go to?
Any work plans yet?
D'Artagnan
Yes , definetively, i live in brazil and if i had the opportunity to move to another country, and work there i would definetively do that, i would be more inclined move to a country where the main language is both portuguese or english, since i wouldn't have to learn much about the language
chasbeen
Dart

your absolutely right about the language that is how I feel.
It's an amazing barrier if you cannot communicate (Obviously)

I worked in Holland for 6 months in 1996 and went there with the hope of learning some German but that did not happen because all people want to do is learn English.

English is also known as "the business language" (In Europe at least but possibly around the globe)
ocalhoun
chasbeen wrote:

It's an amazing barrier if you cannot communicate (Obviously)

Though immersion is a very fast way to learn a language.

If you learn the basics, then live in an area that speaks only that for a while, you'll become fluent amazingly fast.
chasbeen
Yes, that's what I wanted to try.
The opportunity was not there Sad
daredninja
chasbeen wrote:
My shortest visit to any country was Africa
I was there for 50 minutes (Refueling stop at East Africa-Allowed to walk the landing strip)
However it's not a place I would live (Needed Malayria shots just for 50mins!)

Not to be an ass but Africa is a continent!

I've just moved to NY from London and it is the third time I move to a new country.

I was in Argentina before and it was an amazing experience.

Looking forward to life in NY now, only been here a couple of weeks and loving it. Also the fact I can speak English and don't have to learn a new language is a major plus lol
chasbeen
Quote:
Also the fact I can speak English and don't have to learn a new language is a major plus lol

I can remember getting frustrated in Holland once because (although they speak English) there was misunderstandings.

It's a positive though and good luck on your travels.
adri
chasbeen wrote:
I can remember getting frustrated in Holland once because (although they speak English) there was misunderstandings.

Well not all of Holland and Belgium is english-speaking. If you ask questions at 14-40 year old persons, you have a much higher chance of finding an english speaking person than if you ask it to a 70 year old granny (=0% chance that she speaks english). Our main language (for Flandres + Holland) is still dutch (and French for the Southern part of Belgium).

Just keep your vocabulary simple and everything is gonna be alright when you come to the Benelux. Smile

adri
chasbeen
Adri

Yes thats right, the English language though is described as "the Business language" in these countries though.
adri
Now to get back on topic...

I think I wouldn't really go to another country voluntarily, Belgium is a nice country to live in (good beer and chocolate). On the other hand, it could be possible that I need to go to another country because of my future job. (I'm studying for engineer now, and I'll probably choose Mining as a specialization in my next year (if I succeed :p ))

adri
gandalfthegrey
The United States is going into a a serious economic decline. American politics have become too corrupt, with special interests and the military-industrial complex that former President Dwight D Eisenhower warned us about dominating American decision-making.

I might one day decide to move. Canada is too integrated with the American economy to not be hit. Australia is interesting - it is more self-reliant because of its location, but it is becoming closer with the Asian economy. New Zealand might be isolated and self-reliant enough, but I'd be scared of earthquakes (hence why I moved away from the west coast).
I'd move to Sweden, Norway or Iceland if I could speak the language. Ireland is another option.
chasbeen
G
Quote:
to not be hit

I wonder what you mean by that?
Probably total financial collapse.
Total financial collapse might be local (I think Greece came near recently?)

Take faith, a lot of this is probably in your mind. That happens to me. The last financial meltdown occurred in the 1930's and that was world wide.

I'm going back to my birth place (21 months and counting)
That's important because that's where I am from.

We have done our adventure now.
LittleBlackKitten
I could NEVER imagine myself leaving my country, nevermind my section of it. Being in western Canada is (arguably) the most beautiful places on earth, and I could never imagine leaving it longer than a vacation or an educational leave, which I'm not planning on. It's been home for me ever since I was born, and I would get upset, sick, and depressed not being in Canada or being near some large body of saltwater, be it by a long drive or visually.

I have entertained the idea of leaving British Columbia and running over to Alberta, where my style of people and life are FAR more common (my husband and I are rednecks/cowboy/girl) , but I can't possibly imagine LEAVING the coast. I could stay in Alberta for a long time, but I would get sick missing the mountains and ocean. I mean, sure there's Kanmore in Alberta which has mountains, and it's not too far from Lake Louise, but that's not the same.

It's just....home, and I'd be sick without it.
chasbeen
LBK

It's harder for a girl.. (Just joking)

Actually when we came out to Canada (From UK) we met with a group who were all going over to live on the western sea board. We were keen on Ontario. I wished we had gone and tried somewhere like where you are.

Reasons
(1)Near the Sea (Miss it badly, always accessible no matter where you live in the UK)
(2)UK like weather.

I suspect we may not have been wanting to go back to the uk had we moved "west" to the sea.

Too late now to risk another mistake.

Life is too short Exclamation
watersoul
chasbeen wrote:

I suspect we may not have been wanting to go back to the uk had we moved "west" to the sea.

Totally understand there fella, the longest i've ever been away from the sea in my life was 6 weeks in a row in Laos, and I shot straight back to Thailand and a beach almost straight away!
macky
if there would be a chance why not... that would be not that impossible to do so if you have the guts...

hahaha... Laughing
imera
I wanted to move, to England or Canada, but then there was a lot of complications in my family and I had to take care of that, then when I thought I would finally be able to plan a life abroad I found my soul mate, unless you don't believe in that then he's called the one I want to live my life with. Because of him I'm okay with staying in my home country, anyway, we have planned to move as far away from our town as possible, at least that will make me happy.
Besides the two countries I want to move to I have always wanted to live a little in Japan, I will at least travel there later in life, just have to learn Japanese first.
loyal
I think the people more likely to consider moving countries are those whose parents who are from another country but emigrated to that country...

ocalhoun wrote:

If you learn the basics, then live in an area that speaks only that for a while, you'll become fluent amazingly fast.

Hmm, really?..It sounds difficult.
ocalhoun
loyal wrote:

ocalhoun wrote:

Hmm, really?..It sounds difficult.

It is difficult; learning a new language always is.
It's fast and effective though, which many other methods of learning aren't.
The_unnamed_label
I did it!! 5 months ago! Absolutely no regret!
adri
The_unnamed_label wrote:

So... Where did you live and where do you live now?

adri
deanhills
adri wrote:
The_unnamed_label wrote:

So... Where did you live and where do you live now?

adri
I'm curious too. Sounds almost effortless, so he probably did not have to cross an ocean or jump a continent or two .... Twisted Evil
karendelfau
We have just moved from Australia to France, and we've lived (over the past 9 years) in the US, Brazil, Holland & France. I've come to realize that every place has its good and bad - and that there's no perfect place. The key thing for successfully 'landing' in another country is contact details of someone who can help you out with getting settled (and even better, allowing you to stay at their place when you first arrive!!)

What has struck me with this last move is how time passes differently in different places. We spent three weeks on our way between Australia in France in Southern California. Three weeks passed in the blink of an eye, and it felt like I was always running to keep up with everything that needed to be done. Seized by the frantic hecticness. Where this might have been fine when we were living there, it really exhausted me this time through. It resonates with the earlier posts in this thread about dealing with the freeways - that same level of stress, anxiety and time passing too quickly.

Maybe I am just getting older, but packing everything into 46 kg luggage allowance is getting exhausting!! Hopefully we'll be able to stay in France for long enough to put some roots down... Although I have enjoyed our transient lifestyle so far!

Karen
portoskt
if i win big lottery game, yes, ill go somewhere outside my country to live, yes
Hello_World
I really don't think I could do it.

I have been thinking of moving to Tasmania. I really, really love Tasmania.

But the idea of leaving my family and friends and starting anew is not my idea of fun.

And Tasmania is not even another country, even though it's not on the mainland...

I could, and would totally love, to go work somewhere for a year or so... and London would be my first choice.
c'tair
It's on my head almost every day dude.

I've lived mostly in Poland and the US, but I've also had the chance to live and work in Scotland and I also visited Germany and Belgium. It's fun to go back to Poland, meet up with friends and see how much the place has changed, brings back a lot of good memories. But now I'm slowly thinking of moving somewhere far far away from this big city.

One option is to move somewhere in the US, I was thinking about some of the northern states like Maine/Vermont/North Dakota/Washington and a few others. Less people, more nature and colder. Hope they have IT jobs there.

Another option I'm looking at is Canada/Iceland/Norway/Sweden/Scotland. Same thing: less people, colder, more nature and also probably a few better laws. I've yet to do some indepth research on this topic.

I've already begun to get rid of some bulkier possessions so that when the time comes, I'll be left with mostly stuff I can throw away or take with me. I've got 20 months to finish my current degree, get some IT certificates and research which place is the best to move to.

Oh, and I'm planning to stay that that place no more than 2 years, then it's time to move again. That way I can travel, work, meet people and not get swamped down in some nasty boring routine.