FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy Independence day

nam_siddharth
Independence day to all Indian members of Frihost. It is the greatest occasion for we Indians. We are proud of the fact that we got independence by non-violence.

Bikerman
Non violence? Well, far be it from me to spoil your celebrations but you do know that as soon as you got rid of us you started slaughtering each other and between 600,000 and 1 million people died very violently along the border with Pakistan...
mukesh
nam_siddharth wrote:
Independence day to all Indian members of Frihost. It is the greatest occasion for we Indians. We are proud of the fact that we got independence by non-violence.

same to you Siddharth
Bikerman
Still, you did get rid of us, which deserves congratulations (I'd hate to have me bossing me around).

Happy Independence Day to you both!
saratdear
Bikerman wrote:
Non violence? Well, far be it from me to spoil your celebrations but you do know that as soon as you got rid of us you started slaughtering each other and between 600,000 and 1 million people died very violently along the border with Pakistan...

I don't want to start a war here at the moment but you would like to know the communal wars started mainly as a result of the Divide and Rule policy of the British.

Anyways....Happy Independence Day!
Bikerman
saratdear wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

I don't want to start a war here at the moment but you would like to know the communal wars started mainly as a result of the Divide and Rule policy of the British.
Easy to blame the brits and completely ignore the All India Muslim League and their demands for a separate homeland for Muslims, Jinnah and his role in forcing partition.

Yes, we were largely to blame - divide and rule was the only way they could manage with such a small presence in such a massive country. It was wrong and I make no defence of the morality involved other than to say - that was simply how things were done then. Blame us all you like - I will agree to a very large extent, but also be willing to admit blame some of the indians themselves. The British were forced into rushing through the partition by the demands of the muslims and the reactions of the hindus. Yes, we helped setup the distrust between them - thoroughly reprehensible - but that does not entirely absolve others of blame...
standready
I will keep this simple and say happy independence day.
Bikerman
standready wrote:

Have you done anything special as a celebration? Do people have parties or special events like parades?
saratdear
Bikerman wrote:
standready wrote:

Have you done anything special as a celebration? Do people have parties or special events like parades?

Yes we do...there is the flag hoisting event by the Prime Minister at Red Fort, New Delhi. There will also be similar flag hoisting all over the country; in all the states as well as schools and other organisations. . There will also be Independence Day parades, as you said.

P.S : Not that I didn't read your last post...we could get into very thick water arguing about such a thing, so let's leave it at that. Smile
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

Anyways....Happy Independence Day!
Totally agreed saratdear. However, India has not been the only victim of that famous "Divide and Rule policy" of the British. The British was also responsible for lots of upheaval in Africa for example. You are also right of course. A discussion like this can probably get quite out of hand.
LittleBlackKitten
Wow guys, way to crush those who are dedicated to peace and humility and non violence. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Wow guys, way to crush those who are dedicated to peace and humility and non violence. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves.
Not sure I understand how any of the postings so far have been crushing those who are dedicated to peace, humility and non-violence? I found all of the postings very informative. Independence in India came after very long struggles, and the history leading up to independence (both the positive and negative in it) has to be meaningful.
sandypawn
belated happy independence day...lets move forward..
Bikerman
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
That was the point really. To blame the brits is OK but to go all forgetful and stereotypical about 'peace and humility' being a particularly eastern or Indian/Pakistani trait is laughable nonsense (or offensive,ly patronising, depending on how seriously you take it). The Mughul empire was arguably the greatest in the world at the start of the 17th century - and certainly significant even in global historical terms.

Those living on the Indian sub-continent have been just as brutal, just as barbarous and just as nasty as those in the west. And by the same token they have enjoyed power, empire, wealth, fear, respect - just as have many countries in the west. That is not insulting or falsely labelling them. It is rather the opposite. My experience and my reading tells me that by and large people tend to be just people - good bad, evil, saintly - all the things that a typical person can be and often is in flashes of contradictions - that is the human condition and it applies to us all pretty equally methinks.
I've never met a country of peaceful humble non-violent people and I kinda hope I never do because another word for that would be sheeple. Peaceful and humble is a bad mixture in any times, including these times. The meek don't inherit the earth - they are in the kitchen doing the washing up.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
I've never met a country of peaceful humble non-violent people and I kinda hope I never do because another word for that would be sheeple. Peaceful and humble is a bad mixture in any times, including these times. The meek don't inherit the earth - they are in the kitchen doing the washing up.
There have been peaceful and humble people in the world. I would not call them "sheeple" however, but innocents. For example I believe there are some Bushmen left over in South Africa and Botswana. They are innocents without a country.
Bikerman
You mean the San?
Proves my point. The hunter gather lifestyle is no longer sustainable so they rely on the charity of SA and Botswana - who have, naturally enough, kept it to a bare minimum. Botswana is determined to shift them off the tribal lands and put them in reservations...sounds familiar. They deny, of course, that it has anything to do with the area being a natural tourist destination and they certainly deny reports of rich diamond fields in the lands...