FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Laptop power saver dimming

Tony The Tiger
I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV7 laptop with Windows 7. I have been having problems with the screen brightness. The operating system's control panel has both a Power options control and an NVIDIA control panel for the video card. I have the default recommended Hewlett Packard power plan options chosen in the power options control. This should cause the screen to dim when the computer is unplugged from an external power source and to brighten again when I reinsert the power cable. Oddly it stopped dimming when I unplugged it. When I tried to check the configuration of the power saving battery power options by changing them the brightness was unaffected. I called tech support and we were able to control the brightness by going into the NVIDIA control panel. It seems odd that we had to control the brightniess from the video card controls instead of the regular operating system power controls. Then this morning when I woke up and attempted to undo the dimming that I had set the computer ignored these commands. I had to uninstall and reinstall the video card drivers in order to reset the brightness controls, which now seem to be working fine. All this is odd to me though.
FunDa
One of the video card driver settings files must have gotten corrupted, that must be why Windows couldn't correctly change the brightness . Later, the error must have caused the video card driver itself to get confused about the settings.

After you reinstalled, the settings file would have been reset and corrected the problems.
Tony The Tiger
FunDa wrote:
One of the video card driver settings files must have gotten corrupted, that must be why Windows couldn't correctly change the brightness . Later, the error must have caused the video card driver itself to get confused about the settings.

After you reinstalled, the settings file would have been reset and corrected the problems.

I am fairly certain something is corrupted, because intermittently, I am unable to control my brightness. I just don't even understand why there are two totally different ways to control the brightness. Using the display settings is what I am most familiar with given my historical use of the control panel to manipulate the screen settings. However, the graphic card controls as a separate feature seems redundant, duplicative and counterintuitive to me. From my perspective it is just causing further confusion on where my problem lies.