FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New York

hmghaly
I have come to NY for more than a year, and it is quirte a remarkable city. Well, off course it has many places to do some great sightseeing, but I believe the most important thing about this city is its great cultural diversity. Here you can see people coming from all places in the world, carrying along their cultures, in an amazing show of diversity. Believe me, wherever you come from, you probably won't feel alien because everybody is alien and yet everybody is acceptable. Of course there are so many shortcomings, but this idea of multi-culturalism is quite impressive for me.
deanhills
hmghaly wrote:
I have come to NY for more than a year, and it is quirte a remarkable city. Well, off course it has many places to do some great sightseeing, but I believe the most important thing about this city is its great cultural diversity. Here you can see people coming from all places in the world, carrying along their cultures, in an amazing show of diversity. Believe me, wherever you come from, you probably won't feel alien because everybody is alien and yet everybody is acceptable. Of course there are so many shortcomings, but this idea of multi-culturalism is quite impressive for me.
What also struck me is the high level of education of the immigrants. I remember being driven by taxi drivers who could eloquently discuss major current affairs and political issues. Ditto when I was in the little coffee shops. They just love to talk philosophy about anything on earth. Better than the newspaper or TV as well. Interesting accent as well. Definitely one of the highlights of my travels. Would love to visit the City again.
hmghaly
Quote:
What also struck me is the high level of education of the immigrants. I remember being driven by taxi drivers who could eloquently discuss major current affairs and political issues. Ditto when I was in the little coffee shops. They just love to talk philosophy about anything on earth. Better than the newspaper or TV as well. Interesting accent as well. Definitely one of the highlights of my travels. Would love to visit the City again.

That's right, that's because many of them are so well qualified and there are no opportunities matching their qualifications, so they would accept working in these professions as taxi drivers, food vendors, waiters and so forth. Glad you enjoyed it Smile
rogue_skydragon
hmghaly wrote:

It's so interesting you would say that. London is very similar in that it is a cosmopolitan city with growing diversity. New York is definitely on my list of places to see before I die.
gverutes
The cool thing about Manhattan is that it resets itself every 4-5 blocks. Meaning there is a pizza shop, bagel store, Jewish deli, clothing, grocery every 5 blocks (which starts a new neighborhood). One can easily walk from one neighborhood to the next and get a quick change of scenery, but have access to endless amenities.
PureReborn
I live in Southern Ontario for 10 years and still havent been to NY yet. Going to drop by this thanksgiving (American one) for a bit. So looking forward to it!

Hoping to live there for a few years once I graduate, it's such an exciting city to live in.
c'tair
It's very exciting, fast paced and the number of concerts and other social events here is staggering. I'd highly recommend coming here to anyone, it's something a person should see in their lives.

However, personally, I'd gladly move away into a smaller, quieter place after a few years here - it's great to live here to get your business done like make money, get an education, but I can't see myself living here for 20-60 years more. Not enough mountains and trees for me and too many crazy city people Razz
menino
Wow, New york is cooler, as you'll guys make it sound.

I will be going there next month for a few days en route to Phoenix, and hope it will be a great trip.
slashnburn99
Its a great place, would love to live there for a while, not sure forever.

The woolworths building i found very handy (green roof)

always knew where i was as it seemed that building was following me all around manhattan Wink
goutha
I always rent a hotel room in New Jersey and travel to New York City every morning. It's a 10 minutes trip car and you'll save alot of money (hotel rooms in New Jersey are half the price of those in NYC).
Blaster
Haha NYC is about a 2 hour drive for me. I've made day trips there a few times. Its a great city. I would never want to live there though. The cost of living is outrageous.

Jersey is a lot cheaper when it comes to hotels. You can take a train from Newark (NJ not DE) right into Manhattan. This is the smartest thing to do if you want to save money and can't do a day trip like I do. Everything seems to be expensive in NY though. Its fun to go up there, walk around, and just enjoy the scenery. However in the heart of Manhattan you can expect to pay 16 dollars for a hamburger at TGI Fridays (I know from experience.)
menino
Thanks Blaster for the tip.

I was going to be there this month, but couldn't make it, mainly because it was very expensive, and overthrew my budget, among other reasons, but I was hoping to go next year, and armed with more information and hopefully a little more earnings, I will have a better time then.
I thought that with the economic situation being bad, hotels might go cheaper now, but I guess the rates are more or less the same.
windy138
I have never been New York.
It is regarded as a beautiful places.
I hope that I can visit NY at one Sad
daredninja
I just moved to NY and living in Hell's Kitchen. I find it amazing how each neighbourhood has its own distinct charm and character.

I really like my location as it's filled with tons of restaurants. Haven't had the chance to go around the whole city yet but really enjoying the opportunity to discover all these new places.

When you notice the history of the different parts of town you can really have an idea of how it was before all the different cultures started mixing and people lived on streets inhabited only by other people from the same exact background. Quite fascinating if you ask me!
mukesh
My dream to visit some places where New York also added in list Smile
kitsrock
I have a couple of friends living in New York. We were pretty close back when we were in university, and whenever we get in touch they tell me how much they like living in New York.

However, as I come to hear it, New York isn't for everybody. They tell me it's a city of many backgrounds and diversity, but if there's one thing in common it's the liveliness and the busy pace. Some people thrive in such environments, and become too laid back/lazy when placed in a city like Vancouver.

On the other hand, I fit pretty well to Vancouver's slow pace. I need my peace and quiet, and some alone time. I found myself shutting myself in my apartment when I lived in Montreal for four years.

New York is definitely in my top 5 places to visit, but I don't think it's somewhere I would like to live in.
macky
hmghaly wrote:

one of the best place i would like to go to... Razz
ujjawall
mukesh wrote:
My dream to visit some places where New York also added in list Smile

very funny man Laughing Laughing Laughing
collage123
i like this beautiful place.
TurtleShell
I think one of the things I miss most about New York is ease at which I could be publicly intoxicated--no driving home to worry about. I miss the subway and big pitchers of sangria at Panchito's. Not that the sangria was good, but boy could it get me drunk, and for a relatively reasonable price.
Abhishukla
New York is a nice place to live. I had visited NY for 1 time and really liked it
mark1230
new york is really a lovely city ,,,but quite expensive...
debjitbiswas
ny is my dream place.
fukara
New york new york beuty dream
dapopeyoh
I've never been to new york before but I'll really like to go there. I've heard a lot of things about it both good and bad. I think it will be an interesting place to visit.
dirtyfives
in ny everything goes fast, i dont like
HenryDamiani
New York is one of the famous tourist destinations in the World. Some of the New York City's best attractions are:
1. Statue of Liberty
2. Rockefeller Center
3, Ellis Island Immigration Museum
4. Central Park
5. Grand Central Terminal.
peacyhell
New York is famous and popular city in united states. New York is rich and beautiful city. Many people like to spent holiday in this city. There are many place for holiday like Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, The Museum of Modern Art and so on.
micomnet
I want to go to new york to:)
rogue_skydragon
London is also a very diverse city with a cosmopolitan culture. It's no surprise since London and New York are considered sister cities. I would love to go visit New York soon!
silverdown
I always wanted to go to New York, just never made it that way.... maybe one day Very Happy Exclamation
deanhills
silverdown wrote:
I always wanted to go to New York, just never made it that way.... maybe one day Very Happy Exclamation
Took a long time for me to get to a visit. But when I finally did, what a cultural experience that was! Better than the movies.
Very Happy
ricardo22
I'm from Brazil and really would like to go there
rogue_skydragon
I had the pleasure of visiting New York for a few days last month. It was amazing!
I celebrated my birthday here, and on top of all the sight seeing I did, I was fortunate enough to attend a small concert at this dive bar called Mercury Lounge in the Lower East Side. The fast-paced lifestyle in the city is great to experience, but I couldn't imagine myself living there for more than a few consecutive years.
Blaster
Here is a challange for ya... Drive in NYC....

I want to do this next year. It looks like a lot of fun
Insanity
New York is amazing. There's so much to do in the city. You can just walk around the whole city for weeks and not get bored. There are so many landmarks and tourists places. I went there for a month and I saw some cool stuff. The city literally never sleeps; there's always somethign to do depsite what time it is.
deanhills
Insanity wrote:
New York is amazing. There's so much to do in the city. You can just walk around the whole city for weeks and not get bored. There are so many landmarks and tourists places. I went there for a month and I saw some cool stuff. The city literally never sleeps; there's always somethign to do depsite what time it is.
I found it exciting too when I visited. And SO enormous, particularly when one is in the middle of all of those tall skyscrapers on Manhattan Island and look up at the sky. What I found magic too were those coffee shops and listening to locals discussing every day stuff. The accent and the stories. Most entertaining.
Very Happy
johans
hopefully i can visit this place and buy a shirt I LOVE NY. Smile
rogue_skydragon
I had the good fortune of visiting New York for a few days last October, and I've got to say - nothing, I repeat, NOTHING beats the Halal food carts in Manhattan
johans
Quote:
nothing, I repeat, NOTHING beats the Halal food carts in Manhattan

What makes it Nothing to beat?
gandalfthegrey
I'd love to live there for a couple of months.
TheStripePrincess
I'm going to New York in 26 days and I CANNOT WAIT!
I've wanted to go for years and years!
I'm going for 10 days with my fiancé and his parents and we have the most beautiful apartment in the middle of Manhattan with views of the Empire State Building from both 16th floor bedrooms windows!
I'm so excited Very Happy
Navigator
Occupy it!
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
Occupy it!
Haha! Love your avatar Navigator and great to see you posting again.

What a wonderful introduction to New York Princess, can imagine your excitement. My first visit was by air. I was on a very small budget and had one of those Delta Air packages where one could travel limitless for a month on a stand by basis. So I flew from LA to New York just for the day. There was plenty of space on the red-eye and I could sleep stretched out. I remember it was a spectacular day as we approached New York City and the pilot decided to treat us with flying in low so we could have a great view of Manhattan as well. I took bus and ferry trips, and spent most of the day in Central Park and mostly walking. Had lunch at one of their many Deli's. Food's really great there. Then at the end of the day flew out - made my way to Palm Beach if I can remember - out of season and great quality accommodation at low prices. Just a pity however as there was too much wind there at the time.

Anyway, New York was everything I thought it would be and much more just for the day I was there. Then a couple of years later I visited again and spent two night. I love the energy of the place.
silverdown
Never been to New York tho I always plan on going, i know people who live there as well as visit often so I may day drop along and see what New York is like for myself! Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy
lelly77
NY , so beautiful.
Augustus456
Of course New York is a great city but I found there hotels are much expensive then others, I stayed here for a long time and found it a very good city but little bit expensive.
ryanhollmans
Travelling is best way to get relaxation and refreshment. New york is rich and largest city in america. There are many tourist attraction place in New York like Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Centre, The Museum of Modern Art as well as many beautiful hotel available in this city.
jajarvin
New York is a big city. I found it out by getting lost in the underground network for about half a day.
12phabie
PureReborn wrote:
I live in Southern Ontario for 10 years and still havent been to NY yet. Going to drop by this thanksgiving (American one) for a bit. So looking forward to it!

Hoping to live there for a few years once I graduate, it's such an exciting city to live in.

I lived In Connecticut for some years now and I can honestly say that you are not missing anything. yes some parts of NY is beautiful and there is also that traffic, noise, pollution and the people are different. I mean someone steps on your toes and they expect you to say sorry. No thanks to NY. I love the shopping but Manhattan is overrated and I am always afraid that someone is going to steal my purse in Brooklyn which is why I would never be caught dead in those stinking train, that traffic, in Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, and so fourth. Now upstate Ny is a different story. I would not mind even living there in the Hamptons, New Rochelle ( some minutes after Greenwich), Spring Valley. Plus I like to walk by myself on the sidewalk and not have 20 people next to me.
oliviafoster01
Nice to know useful informative information about the NYC.Never got a chance to visit NYC but certainly will visit here soon.
kevinwade01
I also never visited NYC hope visiting next year
Aliciawillems
New York is beautiful city.There are so many landmarks and tourists places. I went there for a month and I saw some cool stuff. The city literally never sleeps; there's always somethign to do depsite what time it is New York is a great city but I found there hotels are much expensive then others./
nelson
New York City is beautiful city and offers fantastic attractions for the visitors. It has well worth to visit in winter especially for Christmas celebrations. The beautiful places in New York are Central Park, Rockefeller Center or at the American Museum of Natural History and Niagara Falls which must be visited in winter. There are nice opportunities to enjoy ice-skating in New York.
jackbreat
Really excited ,heard about New York ..its really beautiful and pleasure place in USA. Last year I spend my vacation in NYC..Its really good experience ..NYC ,peoples are lived with high life style ..Its offers very fantastic places thats why everyone attracted to NYC..
carleyadriana
New York is big and expensive city in the USA...There are really fantastic nightlife..peoples are lived with very high standard life style...In NYC ,there are luxury hotels ,restaurants and Shopping malls ....NYC is really ultimate and fantastic place in USA...
mshafiq
I visited new york two years before and it was very excellent experience and it was very nice visit.we enjoyed a lot.we went different places in new york like we went time square and there is lot of entertainment for every one.Every one is walking there.There is big Disney store that have great attraction for kids. But Times Square is best known for its entertainment, and plenty of visitors come here to attend a Broadway show.
we went central park.There's plenty to see and do in Central Park. Sports facilities all over the park but most of the interesting sights are found in the lower half of Central Park. historical buildings, statues, monuments, beautiful bridges, and of course plenty of nature
There are eighteen gated entrances to the park. Each of them has its own name. There is Central Park Zoo also. There is lot to see.
mikeperhem1
I’m going to say it: summer can be just horrible in New York. Sidewalks are crowded, and those used to air-conditioned lives will be shocked at how 90°F (32°C) feels on a humid day when getting to and fro means more footfall than usual.
medim84
I've never been. I have a great desire to visit. Does anyone have a recommendation of what time of year is best to visit New York?
mshafiq
we went new york and we visited many places there.We went Time square very popular area in new york.Many people were there.Thee are lots of things that attract you like theaters, cinemas and electronic billboards. and lots of fun place shops for kids and for elders.For kids Disney Store and a large Toys"R"Us.In my respect Times Square is best known for its entertainment,There is live broadcasting ABC's 'Good Morning America' in front of audience from its office at 44th and Broadway.
The most famous building at the square is the iconic Paramount Building.There is lots of fun thats never end.
mshafiq
Central Park is also very interesting .There is lot of stuff to see.It is very huge park.
The park has lots of things like lakes, theaters, ice rinks, fountains, tennis courts, baseball fields, many playgrounds and other facilities.
There's plenty to see and play in Central Park like Sports facilities can be found all over the park but most of the interesting sights are found in the lower half of Central Park. There is lots of historical buildings, statues, monuments, beautiful bridges.We love central park.As we breath fresh air and children play lots of games and they enjoy a lot.
Blaster
Don't get me wrong NYC is an interesting city on many attributes. I never would want to live there though. The prices to live there are crazy. I enjoy having my car a yard and my pool.

When it comes to visiting though there is a lot you can visit. You have the statue of liberty, central park, the empire state building, ground zero.

When it comes to US history though the city I live right outside of is probably the number 1 city in America.
Deline
I'm finally planning my first international trip and it's going to be to USA. I'm going to spend 7 days in NY and I hope to enjoy it! Smile
richandmaninder
I went up the empire state building first thing in the morning to beat the queue to get in
mshafiq
I visited new York few month before. It is very interesting and busiest city.I love to see different places.
andro_king
New York you're awesome ! Very Happy
mikeperhem1
New York is very awesome visiting the place. Everybody should visit over there at least once. Statue of Liberty and Central Park is the most beautiful location to visit there.
fuzzkaizer
A week in New York for me next summer! Are there any updates what do do there at the moment?