FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Indian government has approved new Rupee Symbol





hunnyhiteshseth
The Indian government has approved use of a new symbol for India's national currency- rupee. It makes rupee one of the few currencies which have their own symbol - viz. yen, dollar, pound & euro.
The step became necessary to avoid confusion with other currencies also using the name rupee.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/biz/india-business/Cabinet-approves-new-rupee-symbol/articleshow/6171234.cms
deanhills
Beautiful design, just wish they would have written in tiny letters Indian Rupee or something. It is not destinctive enough to grab hold. Maybe if one did regular business with India it would become easier, but for me it is almost a mixture of a few currency symbols, like a little feeling of the Euro design in it too?
k_s_baskar


Yes it looks nice.
Smile
Hogwarts
To be honest, I think this is just going to be irritating/a waste of time because the symbol doesn't already exist in fonts; meaning it won't be widely used for maybe decades Confused
hunnyhiteshseth
Quote:

Beautiful design, just wish they would have written in tiny letters Indian Rupee or something. It is not destinctive enough to grab hold. Maybe if one did regular business with India it would become easier, but for me it is almost a mixture of a few currency symbols, like a little feeling of the Euro design in it too?


Well it is just 'Ra' alphabet of Devanagari script(used to write in Hindi) with a line crossing it in middle.


Hogwarts wrote:
To be honest, I think this is just going to be irritating/a waste of time because the symbol doesn't already exist in fonts; meaning it won't be widely used for maybe decades Confused


Neither did Euro symbol existed in Keyboards uptill 2000 when Euro was adopted. So, has it taken decades to incorporate Euro symbol?

By the way, fonts with Rupee symbol are already available freely on internet. The adoption in Indian market will be complete within 6 months & international market within 18-24 months.

Infact, it was irritating when there was no symbol because people used to write Rs. instead of the symbol and it was very irritating to specify whether Rs. referred to Indian Rupee,Nepalese Rupee, Pakistani Rupee, Bangladeshi Rupee, Indonesian Rupiah.......... and list goes on.
ankur209
Yeah Its great....Great design...!!

It will now have its own reputation.....!!

appreciable step by Indian Government..!! Cool
nam_siddharth
Yes, it is really nice step by Indian Government. I was irritated by seeing the $ symbol on Indian keyboards than any symbol for Indian currency. I hope we will see Indian currency symbol on Indian keyboards soon.
hunnyhiteshseth
nam_siddharth wrote:
Yes, it is really nice step by Indian Government. I was irritated by seeing the $ symbol on Indian keyboards than any symbol for Indian currency. I hope we will see Indian currency symbol on Indian keyboards soon.


Yeah, infact HCL and TVS have already started working on it.
deanhills
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
nam_siddharth wrote:
Yes, it is really nice step by Indian Government. I was irritated by seeing the $ symbol on Indian keyboards than any symbol for Indian currency. I hope we will see Indian currency symbol on Indian keyboards soon.


Yeah, infact HCL and TVS have already started working on it.
Would be a good measure of finding out how much the symbol is needed by the rest of the world, to see how fast it may make its appearance on the keyboards of the rest of the world? Smile Probably much more needed in India. My needs would be more for British Pound Sterling, US Dollar and Euro. But who knows, the world of trade is changing all of the time, and Indian international trade growing very fast.
Hogwarts
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Neither did Euro symbol existed in Keyboards uptill 2000 when Euro was adopted. So, has it taken decades to incorporate Euro symbol?

Most keyboards outside the EU still don't have the Euro symbol on them Confused

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
By the way, fonts with Rupee symbol are already available freely on internet. The adoption in Indian market will be complete within 6 months & international market within 18-24 months.

Poppycock. At least half of the world's businesses still use Windows XP. Do you expect that the symbol will magically add itself to their fonts? Do you think they'll care enough to download fonts with the rupee symbol in them? To say "The adoption in the international market will be complete within 18-24 months" is utterly naive. It'll take significantly longer before the new symbol is completely adopted.

deanhills wrote:
Would be a good measure of finding out how much the symbol is needed by the rest of the world, to see how fast it may make its appearance on the keyboards of the rest of the world? Smile

The Indian rupee will likely never appear on keyboards outside of India.

There's a reason the dollar sign is so prevalent on keyboards. Quite a few countries use it. Consider the "US dollar", the "Australian dollar", the "Canadian dollar", the "New Zealand dollar", the "Singapore dollar", the "Fiji dollar" or the "Hong Kong dollar". There are only, you know, 36 economies using some form of "dollar" as their currency.

Similarly, the Euro is used by 16 countries, with still more joining the Eurozone, hence the Euro becoming mildly common on keyboards.

Conversely, approximately one country will use this new symbol for the Indian Rupee. A quarter of the population lives in poverty. Most probably can't afford computers. There's practically no reason for it to appear internationally on keyboards; as there are better things those keys could be used for.
Bikerman
In my experience most keyboards in the UK also don't have it (euro symbol). Now, OK, we aren't in the currency, but we are in the EU and it is a pain not having it when you use a computer somewhere.

I think Hogwarts is correct...do US keyboards have a pound symbol over the 3 or a #? (I haven't checked recently but it always used to be a #). The UK, I would submit, is far 'closer' than India to the US and if they don't have a sign on the keyboard I doubt they will adopt a new rupee sign....
k_s_baskar
Already Press and television media adopted INR symbol in their publications and telecast. For fonts Foradian Technologies already released free font with INR font symbol. you can download and use it freely from here.
http://blog.foradian.com/rupee-font-version-30

and UTC accepted code position U+20B9 for the character of Indian Rupee Sign in unicode
fonts.
menino
The Indian rupee sign is a step forward, and mainly it requires modification and adaptation of the new font / code or keyboard file.
If its a font, shouldnt it be downloaded by the receiving end for it to be read?
In any case, its still a good thing, since a lot of countries are trading with India.

Btw, wot is the currency symbol for china?
Bikerman

http://www.xe.com/symbols.php
hunnyhiteshseth
Hogwarts wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Neither did Euro symbol existed in Keyboards uptill 2000 when Euro was adopted. So, has it taken decades to incorporate Euro symbol?

Most keyboards outside the EU still don't have the Euro symbol on them Confused

hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
By the way, fonts with Rupee symbol are already available freely on internet. The adoption in Indian market will be complete within 6 months & international market within 18-24 months.

Poppycock. At least half of the world's businesses still use Windows XP. Do you expect that the symbol will magically add itself to their fonts? Do you think they'll care enough to download fonts with the rupee symbol in them? To say "The adoption in the international market will be complete within 18-24 months" is utterly naive. It'll take significantly longer before the new symbol is completely adopted.

deanhills wrote:
Would be a good measure of finding out how much the symbol is needed by the rest of the world, to see how fast it may make its appearance on the keyboards of the rest of the world? Smile

The Indian rupee will likely never appear on keyboards outside of India.


When I talk about adoption, I am not restricting myself to just a petty issue of a keyboard. When I talked about adoption in international market, I meant adoption in regular trade. And on that front, the adoption of Euro has been quite good. Nowadays, you wont find any textbook or newspaper omitting Euro symbol.
Hogwarts
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
When I talk about adoption, I am not restricting myself to just a petty issue of a keyboard. When I talked about adoption in international market, I meant adoption in regular trade. And on that front, the adoption of Euro has been quite good. Nowadays, you wont find any textbook or newspaper omitting Euro symbol.


Neither am I, but it's not going to be used on the internet for years. You know; the whole "it won't suddenly appear in Windows XP's fonts" thing. How many computers worldwide use Windows XP as a percentage? Oh. A majority.
Related topics
MY PHOTOS
US Offers F-16 to Pakistan
Why Some Riot and Some Do Not
US Boder Patrol Kills a man
International Terrorist is in Pakistan
Indian engineer abducted and killed in Afghanistan
Building Web Forms In Flash
Who is your favourite historian person and why?
More obvious 'new post' image when viewing topic
Indian government
Should Kashmir be freed from Indian subjugation?
India Terror Attack - Rocks the metro "Mumbai"
Mumbai terror attackers had sexually humilated tourists
THe Indian Judiciary on the targets of terrorists??
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Discuss World News

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.