FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Combofix - The best free anti-malware

epspk
i've been using combofix for years and it's always a lifesaver. Whenever you get those serious malware infections like the disappearing run box and folder option, or any autorun viruses, Combofix will fix it! It is DOS based so any virus or malware running in windows can't stop it. Although I must suggest this to be used by seasoned computer users who know some computer troubleshooting stuff, but if you're a newbie and you really need help quick, its worth a try.

You might need to disable your Antivirus first before running it because it will extract virus signatures (not viruses!) in order to scan your pc. Otherwise your AV will tell you that combofix is trying to infect your pc with a virus.

Combofix is created by computer users who believe that the computing world must be Virus-free and should not be taken advantage by these high charging Antivirus companies.

(I think that there may be a conspiracy that these AV companies are the ones actually making these viruses in order to keep their businesses running!)

download combofix from bleepingcomputer.com to be sure youre getting the real and latest one!
badai
was it so hard to give us the proper url. or you can just tell us right away to use google to search for it, rather than to write this "advertisement" of yours, which don't give any description nor lead us to the right place.

those who interested to use it:

http://www.combofix.org

if i'm not mistaken, bleepingcomputer has the unofficial guide. it's definitely not the official site to distribute it.

and yes, combofix is good if you are infected while using any crappy av.
epspk
badai wrote:
was it so hard to give us the proper url. or you can just tell us right away to use google to search for it, rather than to write this "advertisement" of yours, which don't give any description nor lead us to the right place.

those who interested to use it:

http://www.combofix.org

if i'm not mistaken, bleepingcomputer has the unofficial guide. it's definitely not the official site to distribute it.

and yes, combofix is good if you are infected while using any crappy av.

I beg to disagree. bleepingcomputer has the official guide and has always been the main resource for the legit combofix. www.combofix.org plainly gives you a link to bleepingcomputer.com and if you have read carefully in combofix.org, it even says there "DO NOT download ComboFix.exe from sites other than BleepingComputer.com" and as I have been using combofix for years, combofix.org never existed until recently. so to be safe, download if from bleepingcomputer.com only.
also, I never meant to post this thread as an advertisement because I am not benefiting from the use of combofix. I merely want to share this to others who are not aware of this extremely useful freeware.
And the reason why I did not put a direct link to download it is because I expect only seasoned computer users who can use search tools to find it themselves. Kinda challenging, ain't it?
Very Happy
Fire Boar
I don't often do this but +1 for epspk. It's nice to see people recommending a decent virus removal tool rather than antivirus software (which is really only good for prevention in general, in particular from PEBKAC problems) for a change. So often I see "help! I got a virus!" attracting generic, useless replies such as "install norton its the best" [sic].
saratdear
I've used it once, and it helped me clear some nasty malware off my computer. However, I was doing it based on the instructions from the Bleepingcomputer.com forums (They have a forum there where you can post your computer problems and they will guide you to clean it up). They recommend not to use Combofix unless you know what you are doing...and I would say yes.
misterXY
HiJack This! is better IMO. Rolling Eyes
alugueldelanchaangra
ComboFix is very good!
jdelfire
- Like any other anti-virus software or virus removal tools... it has some flaw...
- It saved me a lot of time when i was troubleshooting with a customer over the phone (My call center days)
- In some cases i ended up in a BSOD resulting to a full OS reinstallation
- some softwares has false positives especially automated removal software and i've experience with Norton, Mcaffee, SAS, Trend Micro, AVG and some small time anti-virus software...
- IMO a combination of manual removal softwares is better like Process Explorer, Avenger, Autorun, Hijackthis and knowing your way in command prompts and registry will be more than enough...
- I will give ComboFix 3.5 out of 5 ^_^
saratdear
misterXY wrote:
HiJack This! is better IMO. Rolling Eyes

Like they say in their software, HijackThis can't identify what is malicious and what is not. They merely give a list of places where malware could hide, etc. . These locations could belong to legitimate applications as well and it is up to you to identify which is which.