FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BIOS Recovery - Simple Batch Script Help

heady233
Hi,

If somebody could help me, that would be great. I accidentally messed up the BIOS of a computer (I was being an idiot, and I tried to mod the splash screen to be cool. Now it won't boot), and to recover it, I need to insert a flash drive containing a certain file with a certain filename, and then turn on the computer while holding FN and ESC. I have the file I need (a BIOS update file) but I don't have the filename. I've tried a few things, but the recovery boot block refuses to accept any of them.

I turned to here because I remember that a lot of the people here were rather smart. You guys got me through a lot of other computer problems, and I have no idea where else to turn.

My idea is this: I want to make a text list (separated by line breaks) that contains things the filename could be, minus the extension. This file would be named "list.txt" or similar. It would look something like this:

Code:
BIOS
KAWGO
NAPA
SW8
ICL50

I would also have a file named "original.ext" that contains the original BIOS file that I need to rename in the same folder as "list.txt". The final thing is what I need help with. I want to make a batch file that, when run, copies "original.ext" to the following filenames:

Code:
****HW.FD
****.FD
****HW.BIN
****.BIN
****HW.ROM
****.ROM

(I'm fairly certain the filename ends with one of those) where "****" would be replaced with each of the lines in "list.txt". In theory, this would allow me to easily add to "list.txt" and then re-run the batch file, making things a lot easier to go about, and hopefully reviving this dead laptop. If anyone could help me, I would be eternally grateful.